DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Matrix Trilogy Box Set Details (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/365262-matrix-trilogy-box-set-details-merged.html)

hmurchison 05-28-04 01:06 PM

This is what I've been waiting for. Sign me up. Oh and I'll be back in a few years for the HD version as well. ;)

island007 05-28-04 01:21 PM

This is a rumor I hope comes true. The set sounds fantastic. The only improvment would be to add the Animatrix.

wordtoyamotha 05-28-04 01:23 PM

Possible great news on the commentaries and suppliments. I not so sure the transfers for 2&3 can get better???

Static Cling 05-28-04 01:41 PM

Merged threads.

Geist 05-28-04 02:29 PM

Re: Possible Matrix Trilogy DVD Details!

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I am disappointed that it doesn't include the Animatrix, but hopefully it will include the relevant shorts (Renaissance I and II and Osiris) that are part of the storyline. I imagine most if not all of the Revisited material will be on here as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy or another retailer offered the Animatrix for free with purchase at the time of release, since this box set will probably be priced similar to the Alien Quadrilogy.

There are rumors that there are more anime movies in the works as well, and if those are direct-to-video again the first one might be included with a set of those instead too.

Does anyone know when the Matrix mmorpg is scheduled for release? I wonder if this could be ready around the same time.

zoid 05-28-04 04:36 PM

Extended version of Reloaded – 1 hour of additional footage

This movie needed almost a hour cut out of it not a hour added.

DVD Josh 05-28-04 04:52 PM

Originally posted by zoid
Extended version of Reloaded – 1 hour of additional footage

This movie needed almost a hour cut out of it not a hour added.

Clearly, these are extended editions (ala LOTR). Those movies didn't "need" additional footage, but the fans appreciated a greater telling of the story. I think the same applies here.

CalebTG 05-28-04 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Shroud
No DTS = No Sale.
My thoughts exactly.

littlefuzzy 05-28-04 07:28 PM

I picked up the Matrix/Revisited box set and the Animatrix box set (w/ cd.) I haven't grabbed the other two movies, though.

I will probably sell off the M/MR set, and maybe the Animatrix disc, unless it is confirmed that it won't be included in the box set.

I wonder if all of the extras from the current discs will be included?

NEUMANN 05-28-04 07:29 PM

With Reloaded and revolutions being pretty new,you would think that they would have been mastered in hi-def in the first place.

ReduxGuy 05-28-04 10:51 PM

Here's a definite they should do:

Remix The Matrix trilogy with DD 5.1 EX and give all the films both DD EX/DTS-ES tracks.

Mr. Cornell 05-28-04 11:08 PM

Enter The Matrix was one of the all-time worst movie games in the sad, sad history of movie-based video games, but the actual movie footage in it was pretty good. The only problem is that if the additional hour of footage from Reloaded is just ETM footage, well, um, the ETM footage is very choppy and skips from place to place, since it occurs in between levels of the video game. How the hell Andy and LINDA Wachowski hope to integrate that into the feature film and not have it be a ludicrous set of disconnected scenes (such as the entire film Van Helsing) is beyond me.

In other news, I didn't bother to buy Reloaded or Revolutions, because IMHO they both sucked, especially in comparison to the original film, but if this box set is for real I doubt I would be able to resist buying it. After all, getting the original film remastered would be worth the torture of also having the second 2 films.

ENDContra 05-29-04 01:15 AM

Now we just need a release date so that I can feel comfortable unloading my copies of the first two films somewhere :)

DVD Josh 05-29-04 08:58 AM

It's WB. There's not going to be a DTS track, so give that up. If you aren't going to buy any WB movie because it won't have a DTS then you are plain silly.

SFranke 05-29-04 09:31 AM

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves SE and True Romance SE both have DTS tracks.

Pelayu 05-29-04 09:31 AM

Of course, DTS-ES would be a huge improvement here but I'll definitely buy it no matter if there is DTS or not.

DVD Josh 05-29-04 09:34 AM

Originally posted by evitagen
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves SE and True Romance SE both have DTS tracks.
The same two titles everyone brings up. The fact of the matter is that WB has not embraced DTS and nor will it probably ever. A properly done DD track can rival DTS and if you balanced the levels between the two, I would bet nickels to dollars you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Mr. Cinema 05-29-04 09:57 AM

Twister, Interview with the Vampire, and the Lethal Weapon movies have dts...so why not the Matrix films?

DVD Josh 05-29-04 09:59 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have DTS on these, but I'd be happy with a remixed DD track.

pat00139 05-29-04 11:43 AM

I debated whether to buy Reloaded or not when it came out, same deal with Revolutions. I told myself I wouldn't double dip, because the movies aren't worth it, unless, get this, there would be a 8 or 9 disk megaset of the trilogy. Someone's been reading my thoughts, it's creepy. Guess I'm gonna shell out some more cash. If they don't include the Animatrix, it would seem kind of silly because the set, as I see it, would want to explain the Matrix universe and expand its mythology. If the Animatrix adds to the Matrix universe, then it seems kind of silly to leave it out (especially if they're gonna add some scenes from the video game). In any case, I doubt it'll be better than the Alien set, not much else is.

Pelayu 05-29-04 12:36 PM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
The same two titles everyone brings up. The fact of the matter is that WB has not embraced DTS and nor will it probably ever. A properly done DD track can rival DTS and if you balanced the levels between the two, I would bet nickels to dollars you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
First of all, you have to bear in mind the difference between people's equipment. Then you probably won't say such things. -ohbfrank-

DVD Josh 06-12-04 01:27 PM

Bumping for good reason! New development (as reported on thedigitalbits.com)

Also today, a friend of The Bits e-mailed us last night with a link to the message boards at Spawn.com. Seems one of the moderators there let slip that Todd McFarlane himself has just been interviewed for The Matrix Trilogy DVD box set. Although sources have been telling us that it was in production for some time now, this is the first public confirmation we've seen. Here's the relevant quote from the post:

"Today, in this very office... actually at this very moment, Todd is sitting down to do an interview for the upcoming DVD boxed set of The Matrix Trilogy (scheduled to be released sometime this winter). While I don't have all of the details regarding Todd's involvement, I do know that the segment in which he will be appearing revolves around the history of action films. For more specifics you'll either have to wait until I have more info to share with you, or you'll have to pick up the boxed set, but until then, here's a photograph of the set, which is decorated with a wide assortment of our Matrix action figures..."

Great news. Sounds like the only thing that could rival this set would be a LOTR Trilogy (and perhaps the Quad).

Kakkarat 06-12-04 01:50 PM

True Romance and Robin Hood are Morgan Creek films. There is some deal where Warner distributes their films, but does not impact the audio tracks.
And the Twister, Lethal Weapon, etcs releases were a "test" by Warner's to see whether including DTS was worth it to them. Obviously they determined that it was not. I remember some sort of chat with Warners (maybe on HTF) where they said that they didn't sell very well.
Anyway, point is that we shouldn't expect any actual Warner titles to have DTS.

All that said, I would LOVE to have DTS on the Matrix films. But I will buy them regardless.

DonnachaOne 07-02-04 12:43 PM

This is an aussie set, right? Well, aren't the Matrix films distributed in Australia by Village Roadshow alone, not Warners?

Mike Lowrey 07-02-04 01:29 PM

Latest news is that the Animatrix will indeed be included. Along with "Revisited" discs for each movie, plus other trilogy-wide features on separate discs.