DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Matrix Trilogy Box Set Details (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/365262-matrix-trilogy-box-set-details-merged.html)

Matthew Chmiel 05-20-04 06:29 PM

If this is true and all the additional footage of Reloaded is from Enter the Matrix, then I hope the "extended version" is a special feature. The footage from Enter the Matrix does explain more of the gaps between Reloaded and Revolutions, but I don't think I'll be able to sit through a three and a half hour version of Reloaded.

But if any of this is true, then I'm game.

RyoHazuki 05-20-04 06:31 PM

I know many don't believe it but who will be the first to call shenanigans.

Zodo 05-20-04 07:09 PM

I really hope each of these will be available individually since I've already got the last 2. I'd definitely jump on a 3-disc version of the first one.

Mike Lowrey 05-20-04 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Zodo
I really hope each of these will be available individually since I've already got the last 2. I'd definitely jump on a 3-disc version of the first one.
Don't really follow your logic (already have the last 2), but a new HD transfer of the first one will be freshly welcomed.

And since I never got Matrix: Revisited, I'll definately pick this up.

What I'm hoping for is some really good behind the scenes, folklore stuff in the creation of the Matrix universe, et al.

Looks like this release could challenge the Alien Quadrilogy set.

khai 05-20-04 09:13 PM

Hmm.. I'm not sure how many of you have played the game, but if they just add the footage from Enter the Matrix, then it wouldn't make any sense at all. You actually have to play it to make sense of it. Not to mention that not all of the cut-scenes are full motion video.. most of it is straight from the game engine.

Mike Lowrey 05-20-04 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
If this is true and all the additional footage of Reloaded is from Enter the Matrix, then I hope the "extended version" is a special feature. The footage from Enter the Matrix does explain more of the gaps between Reloaded and Revolutions, but I don't think I'll be able to sit through a three and a half hour version of Reloaded.

But if any of this is true, then I'm game.

Well I always felt that Matrix Reloaded lacked in the character development of the minor characters, and haven't played or seen the Enter the Matrix game, but just the teaser found on the Matrix Reloaded DVD, it does show more of those characters and what they were doing "off screen" in the theatrical release.

Sitting through a 3.5 hour version of Reloaded? *Bah*, polly cock, I just hit the pause button. :D

Matthew Chmiel 05-20-04 09:23 PM

Enter the Matrix shows more of what happens between Ghost, Niobe, and the white guy whose name I can't think of at the moment along with their interactions with Zions and the other ships/captains. There is little to no emphasis placed on the three "lead characters" of the trilogy (Neo, Trinity, or Morpheus), it's just to show what else is occuring during the time frame of Reloaded and Revolutions.

Dead Star 05-20-04 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Enter the Matrix shows more of what happens between Ghost, Niobe, and the white guy whose name I can't think of at the moment along with their interactions with Zions and the other ships/captains. There is little to no emphasis placed on the three "lead characters" of the trilogy (Neo, Trinity, or Morpheus), it's just to show what else is occuring during the time frame of Reloaded and Revolutions.
The only scene of Real relevence is the scene between Niobe and the Oracle since it clears up any confusion about her transformation....

Edit: of course there might be footage that isnt from ETM that we dont know about which might be re inserted

Kube 05-20-04 09:57 PM

I loved the original Matrix.
Enjoy the second one.
Despised the last.

So, why does the idea of getting the box set appeal to me?

dxwwf3 05-20-04 10:50 PM

I'm exactly opposite of Kube here.

I liked the original.
I loved Reloaded.
And I thought Revolutions was the best of the three.
I know I am in the minority, but Revolutions is still my favorite.

I hope you can get the box set without the Animatirx because I have no desire to see that at all. Other than that I'm good to go.

SuckaMC 05-21-04 12:09 AM

dxwwf3. I have absolutely zero interest in Japanimation and the like. However, the Animatrix was very interesting if you like the Matrix universe. Most of them even relate directly into the movies. I would suggest watching them. I think it may surprize you.

fumanstan 05-21-04 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Kube
I loved the original Matrix.
Enjoy the second one.
Despised the last.

So, why does the idea of getting the box set appeal to me?

Ahh, the DVD collector in all of us :)

FatTony 05-21-04 01:18 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself, Kube. :)

Duder 05-21-04 02:04 AM

Originally posted by dxwwf3
I hope you can get the box set without the Animatirx because I have no desire to see that at all. Other than that I'm good to go.
So you're a Matrix fan, yet you refuse to watch the canonical animated shorts which fill in a lot of the backstory and explore other aspects of the Matrix universe? I can understand you not wanting it if you've already seen it and you hated it, but this baffles me.

Kant 05-21-04 04:18 AM

I really hope that I don't have to buy revised and Animatrix again!

Mikko Rasinkangas 05-21-04 04:39 AM

I really hope that I don't have to buy revised and Animatrix again!
Same here... I can double dip on the movies but no reason to re-buy those two...

QuiGonJosh 05-21-04 05:08 AM

I find the extra hour of footage from EtM very cool...I've always wanted to see it incorporated into the film...I think it would make it more complete...and Im all for more stuff since Reloaded and Revolutions are basically one big movie...

I dont hear anyone complaining when Peter Jackson does it...but the Wach Bros do it and bitch bitch bitch...

flippo 05-21-04 10:23 AM

I have a friend who works at Warner Home Video and last month he told me that the Matrix box set will have 9 dvd so as OP said, but he did not gave me the details about the dvd yet. He only told me that there will be some anime in one of the dvd but is not animatrix, more likely will be the one from video game.
it will release probably the end of the year or beginning of next year. MSRP around $100. :( Hope he did not tell me the truth :(

Flippo

dxwwf3 05-21-04 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Duder
So you're a Matrix fan, yet you refuse to watch the canonical animated shorts which fill in a lot of the backstory and explore other aspects of the Matrix universe? I can understand you not wanting it if you've already seen it and you hated it, but this baffles me.
Well I'm not exactly a hardcore Matrix fan or anything. I just like the movies. I wouldn't mind watching the Animatrix once but I HIGHLY doubt it will be something that I will want to watch over and over.

majorjoe23 05-21-04 11:50 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I find the extra hour of footage from EtM very cool...I've always wanted to see it incorporated into the film...I think it would make it more complete...and Im all for more stuff since Reloaded and Revolutions are basically one big movie...

I dont hear anyone complaining when Peter Jackson does it...but the Wach Bros do it and bitch bitch bitch...

"I don't hear anyone complaing when Peter Jackson" has become the complaint d'jour around here. When New Line announced the theaterical DVDs (except with Return of the King) they also gave us a firm date on when the EEs would be coming out. Fans could either buy the theatrical versions, or wait for the EEs, but they knew when they were coming out, and a good idea of what they are.

With most other movies we get "Here is the first DVD, and maybe sometime we'll revisit it." It mgiht be two years, it might be tied the sequel, who knows. But this is nothing like what Peter Jackson and New Line have done with Lord of the Rings.

Josh H 05-21-04 11:59 AM

Originally posted by majorjoe23

With most other movies we get "Here is the first DVD, and maybe sometime we'll revisit it." It mgiht be two years, it might be tied the sequel, who knows. But this is nothing like what Peter Jackson and New Line have done with Lord of the Rings.

Exactly. I'm not pissed about it, as I don't get pissed over DVDs. But it is slightly annoying. I knew there would inevitiably be a boxed set, but I figured it would just have a bunch of new extras that I'd never watch. I never imagined the possibility of an extra hour in one of the films.

If that is the case, I hope they sell Reloaded separately (assuming the other two remain in their theatrical cuts).

Josh-da-man 05-21-04 07:29 PM

Makes me glad I never bothered buying any "Matrix" movies since I bought the original one when it was first released.

And, the difference between this and LOTR is that we were given a heads-up that extended cuts/more extensive SEs would be coming out a few months later.

As opposed to something like "Underworld," where the extended cut/extra-special edition was released a few months later without advance warning.

Yes, nobody is "holding a gun" to anyone's head and "forcing" them to rebuy anything, but as consumers, it would be nice if we were given the knowledge that the same movie would be getting a better edition later on, or releasing the better edition at the same time.

These kind of shenanigans have pretty much made me NOT buy any new releases. When it comes to movies like "Underworld" and "Matrix," I'm content to just sit on the sidelines and wait for either a superior re-release or a price-reduction. Beat the bastards at their own game.

gutwrencher 05-21-04 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Yes, nobody is "holding a gun" to anyone's head and "forcing" them to rebuy anything, but as consumers, it would be nice if we were given the knowledge that the same movie would be getting a better edition later on, or releasing the better edition at the same time.

These kind of shenanigans have pretty much made me NOT buy any new releases.

true...this would be nice. but me passing up new releases just wont work. if I want to own the title....I'll see it now, not later. I'll just upgrade when the time comes, and keep the back-up.

Shroud 05-22-04 01:26 AM

New transfer sounds great, but since it was shot with a green filter its not like its going to be any more colorful. No DTS = No Sale.

DVD Josh 05-28-04 01:02 PM

Possible Matrix Trilogy DVD Details!

I must give proper credit to DavisDVD.com :) Please note that the below is a rumor, but comes from good sources.

So you've got all three of the Matrix films... plus The Animatrix... and The Matrix Revisited... oh, and ditto on the Enter the Matrix video game. You'd think that would be enough of The Matrix to last you forever, but you'd be wrong. As many of you are already aware, Australian retailer EzyDVD recently posted alleged specs for a massive nine-disc Matrix Trilogy box set. Like other DVD sites already have, we here can confirm that a collection with all-new bonus materials is definitely in the works. But are the EzyDVD specs the real deal? With caution and guarded optimism, I hope they are:

The Matrix (3 discs)
The Matrix Reloaded (3 discs) 3-hour Extended Cut
The Matrix Revolutions (2 discs)
All-New High Definition Transfers
Commentary Tracks
All-New Documentaries
And More!
The company responsible for putting together this boxed set will be Eric Matthies Productions, the same folks who have created nearly all Matrix-related material to date. Their website used to have this blurb (now removed) relating to The Matrix Trilogy box set: We are currently in development on over one dozen hours of new material for this upcoming collector's edition release. This expanded edition of discs will include detailed documentaries on the philosophy and science behind the Matrix scripts as well as a look at the history of action cinema. EMP is also creating a densely layered documentary package estimated at nine total hours using footage that has not been seen in the other Matrix releases. (with thanks to everyone wrote in)

Awesome, awesome, awesome news.

I am disappointed that it doesn't include the Animatrix, but hopefully it will include the relevant shorts (Renaissance I and II and Osiris) that are part of the storyline. I imagine most if not all of the Revisited material will be on here as well.

Expanded editions of the movies with unseen footage? I'm totally in, just on that alone.