Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spider-Man & Resident Evil Re-release??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the main point is that the SUPERBIT program was always about maximizing the sound/picture bits by forgoing other extras.

I'm happy to get that new commentary track... but I think it pretty much makes the concept of SUPERBIT meaningless. From their own definition of "What is Superbit":

"... all added value features have been removed, freeing up information space on the disc."

http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/
Old 03-26-04, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Z
Did you see the movie theatrically? The print I saw was very grainy and dull, and this was opening weekend in a THX theater.

I think the movie was just not shot well.
Actually...I think that was more a physical film issue at the theater. I remember when I saw the first Lord of the Rings (or maybe it was the 2nd,...can't remember), it was slightly grainy as well. I'm sure it was not filmed badly.
Old 03-26-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DavidH
But, you can tell Gladiator has a slightly compressed look to it; I see this on other Dreamworks movies too (American Beauty comes to mind).
yeah, american beauty looks pretty bad imo. dreamworks should rerelease it, including the deleted scenes that were mentined in the commentary, but aren't on the dvd.
Old 03-26-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you see the movie theatrically? The print I saw was very grainy and dull, and this was opening weekend in a THX theater.
Yes I did. The current dvd seems to have unneccessary compression artifacts (which definitely isn't film grain). If we don't get a new transfer on the Superbit, hopefully these artifacts will be eliminated or minimized.

One a different note, good luck to anyone trying to sell their current version of Spider-Man for anything respectable. It's only going for 4-5 dollars on Ebay in most cases and I doubt anyone around here will even buy it.

Last edited by DavidH; 03-26-04 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked it up for $5.00 factory sealed about two months ago - so if the Superbit contains a new transfer, I won't mind double-dipping - not if there's a free movie ticket to see #2 come July.
Old 03-28-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found this on www.superherohype.com. Thus is for the 3 disc set coming out, at least the packaging is nice, but not enough to double dip. Especially since I only watched the movie once on DVD

Hope this image thing works, if not then here

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P....IN01.LZZZZZZZ

Last edited by Bandit03; 03-28-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-28-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That's some sweet packaging. It's a shame that they couldnt add something more worthwhile.
Old 03-28-04, 12:09 PM
Banned

But, you can tell Gladiator has a slightly compressed look to it; I see this on other Dreamworks movies too (American Beauty comes to mind).
Quite frankly, I didn't think the Saving Private Ryan transfer was all that great on the old Special Edition disc. That's why I'm hoping the new 60th Anniversary Edition has a better transfer.
Old 03-28-04, 12:17 PM
Banned

Also, I still don't see what's all that wrong with the original transfer of Spider-Man. I thought it was pretty good. Although I haven't watched it lately, so I can't remember.

As for free movie tickets, that really isn't am issue for me. For one, I hardly ever go to the theaters anymore. The last film I saw there was LOTR: TTT. Because any film that I want to see, I just wait for the DVD that comes out 4-6 months later. And secondly, a movie ticket only runs like $3 at my local theater.
Old 03-28-04, 12:24 PM
SvenL

That's a picture of the German 3-DVD edition which was released in 2002. It included the normal 2 DVDs + the Stan Lee DVD.

Also included were the comic and the film frame - you can see both of them in the picture above.

Also note that it doesn't say Deluxe anywhere on the box in the picture.

Here's the complete link to this edition:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/tg/...#more-pictures
Old 03-28-04, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The "Deluxe Edition" is as pictured in my post a couple of pages back - it's just the regular 2-disc edition with another keepcase included - both are wrapped in a cardboard sleeve.
Old 04-03-04, 12:30 AM
Suspended

Not that there's anything new to report here from my earlier post (still waiting for a screener of the Superbit to see if the transfer is different or if its the same transfer at a higher bitrate) but DigitalBits.com has some confirmations of the above:
Okay... we've finally figured out the deal with Columbia TriStar's forthcoming Spider-Man: Deluxe Edition (due on 6/1 for SRP $24.95). When we first posted the disc specs, a lot of you complained that it was identical to the original 2-disc special edition. That's because the 2-disc special edition that was already released IS included in the new deluxe edition. BUT... you also get a 3rd disc of all new, never-before-seen bonus features, including a sneak peak at Spider-Man 2, multiple playable levels of the new Spider-Man 2 videogame from Activision, and more (TBA). You'll also get a free movie ticket to see Spider-Man 2. We should also point out that the Spider-Man: Superbit edition streeting on 6/1 will include an exclusive audio commentary with star Toby Maguire. So if you want to get everything, you'll have to buy both titles... AND you'll be re-buying a disc you already own. Commence the angry e-mailing.
Old 04-03-04, 04:19 AM

A superbit with audio commentary? They're digging a hole for themselves.
Old 04-03-04, 09:03 AM

This hasn't been posted directly yet, but, according to DVDanswers, these are the things on the 3rd disk:
Spider Wrangler Featurette
Wrestling Match Featurette
World Unity Festival Featurette
Oscorp Lab Featurette
Goblin's Arsenal Featurette
Costume Design Featurette
Exclusive Sneak Peak at Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 2 Teaser Trailer
Activision Spider-Man 2 Game Trailer

I have no idea how long that adds up to, but I very highly doubt it'll be a DVD-9. For anybody who's willing to shell out the extra money, the website says that's all there is.

Personally, I didn't used to like Superbit but I'm easing up a bit. I'll probably pick that one up. I love extras but I hate fluff extras, and why buy the fluffy 2-disk set (again) just for a fluffy 3rd disk? The commentary is the big seller for me. I thought I read it wrong at first. (An actual extra on a SB title?) This, to me, just proves that, either, SBs aren't selling as well as CTS had hoped so they need to spruce it up a bit, or, CTS is a bunch of liars and go back on their ideologies just to make a few bucks. (2nd one is probably the answer...)

Anybody know if the sound is being re-done? I saw the movie a while back on a 5.1 system and remember being really disappointed with the sound. Not really dynamic enough for the movie. Thought the picture was okay but the hook-up wasn't the best.

In any case, I'd much rather have the Resident Evil re-release. The movie was so much fun and I've been holding out buying the SE (and the Korean 2-disk SE) because of the vague promise of an uncut DVD sometime in the future. I really wish they'd get on with the stupid production already so I can have my unrated RE:SE

Last edited by pat00139; 04-03-04 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-03-04, 12:46 PM
Suspended

So, has there been any word on a Resident Evil re-release to promote the sequel?
Old 04-03-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDTimes lists the featurettes as adding up to about 30min.

This is definitely a good deal to those who haven't purchased this movie yet, and plan to see the second one in the theater though.

Like others, I've only watched the freakin movie once since i bought it so there's really no reason for me to rebuy.
Old 04-04-04, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
And the main point is that the SUPERBIT program was always about maximizing the sound/picture bits by forgoing other extras.

I'm happy to get that new commentary track... but I think it pretty much makes the concept of SUPERBIT meaningless. From their own definition of "What is Superbit":

"... all added value features have been removed, freeing up information space on the disc."

http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/
uh, multi-disk superbits are called superbit deluxe. they aren't the same as regular superbits with only one disk.
Old 04-04-04, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by tek2k
uh, multi-disk superbits are called superbit deluxe. they aren't the same as regular superbits with only one disk.
I think he was talking about the commentary track, which is the first time there's been a commentary track on a Superbit release (even Superbit Deluxe releases) and that the commentary bits could have contributed to a higher video bitrate.

Essentially, this release makes Superbit meaningless because they're breaking their own rules. Superbit is just a marketing term for a movie line - nothing more. It doesn't equal high quality. They've shot themselves in the foot with this release (and some lackluster quasi-SB releases like the early Panic Room: SB disc and Adaptation: SB).
Old 04-04-04, 06:08 PM
SvenL

So, has there been any word on a Resident Evil re-release to promote the sequel?
At least there already has been a Superbit of that - so there's at least only going to be one new release.

The German edition had some nice extras that the American didn't have - a few more (and pretty good) featurettes and an (unfinished) alternate ending.

I hope they'll put those and the second audio commentary which they keep mentioning in the first one on a new edition.
Old 04-04-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does the Superbit version come with a movie ticket?
Old 04-04-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why not separate the Resident Evil conversation into a separate thread? Its being overwhelmed by the Spiderman discussion, and frankly i'm more interested in the Resident Evil disc. I guess there isn't any news on it, is the real problem.

I went ahead and bought the original at Best Buy for 7 bucks or so last week - i just got sick of waiting and waiting for the SE. I didn't buy the original when it was released, because they discussed a special edition at that time, i had thought. Is my memory faulty?
Old 04-04-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, I've been searching through here trying to find any talk about Resident Evil. With Resident Evil 2 coming out this Fall, news can't be far away.
Old 04-04-04, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Does the Superbit version come with a movie ticket?
Yes, both new versions of the Spider-Man discs come with a movie ticket to see Spider-Man 2.
Old 04-05-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Five pages later...

IM SOLD!!!
Old 04-05-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

digitalbits had a link this morning to a Columbia website where you can fill out a survey on the upcoming Spider-Man DE and Spider-Man 2.

http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/survey/

It seems worth the trouble to fill it out - but who knows?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.