Spider-Man & Resident Evil Re-release??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spider-Man & Resident Evil Re-release??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I filled it out, but I was hoping for a bit of compensation for my time other than the ability to sign up for spam.
Old 04-05-04, 01:15 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
took it. Uff, take your time, guys. It is very entertaining
Old 04-05-04, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok...I'm looking at my Resident Evil DVD and it already says "Special Edition" on it. :-) So are we talking a "Special SPECIAL Edition" version. heh.
Old 04-05-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NoirTech
Ok...I'm looking at my Resident Evil DVD and it already says "Special Edition" on it. :-) So are we talking a "Special SPECIAL Edition" version. heh.
considering we are talking about Columbia Tri Star, yes!

I think the fuel for the desire for a special special edition of Resident Evil, is talk by the filmmaker either on the disc itself, or in press around the dvd release date, that he desired to produce an extended cut of the film. now its been so dam long i can't even remember anymore.
Old 04-06-04, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I don't have any version of Res Evil, so I'm hoping for a Superbit Deluxe. I love great image quality AND extras. I'm kooky like that.
Old 04-06-04, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pasolini
considering we are talking about Columbia Tri Star, yes!

I think the fuel for the desire for a special special edition of Resident Evil, is talk by the filmmaker either on the disc itself, or in press around the dvd release date, that he desired to produce an extended cut of the film. now its been so dam long i can't even remember anymore.
Ugh. Should have known. Now, I'm guessing since they already released it with the "Special Edition" text on the cover, this will have some sort of other name?

As for a SuperBit Deluxe version as the poster above mentioned, ... I would be all over that if offered. I never did pick up the current SuperBit version since I already had the Special Edition,....though...I've been meaning to upgrade for the higher bitrate on video/audio.
Old 06-21-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my guts says that Columbi will re-release Resident Evil as "Unrated Special Edition" just like Underworld...
but i highly doubt they will put DTS on it (well, it'll hurt their Superbit edition... so, they don't wanna do that)

so.... dilema
Old 06-21-04, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm... just read the interview on DVDFILE
i'm pretty sure lots of you guys/gals have/had read/heard about this interview... but for those who doesn't, here it goes:

Did you have any concerns when you were conceptualizing the project that you might have problems obtaining an R-rating?

When I became involved in the movie, I made it very clear that I was going to make an R-rated film, and that I didn't want any kind of experience where they were going to want to water it down and make it PG-13. I felt this is Resident Evil, so you gotta see zombies and insides of peoples heads and brains. We gotta see it, or else we're making a ***** Resident Evil. And fans would kill me.

It was always being made with the understanding that it was going to be an R-rated picture, so I didn't have any problems with that. The movie got the R without any cuts. And I think I part that's because I had already made Event Horizon, during which I learned to a great extent what you can and cannot get away with..

Did you have to trim or cut anything extensive to obtain the R-rating, and if so, will we see an uncut or unrated version of the film on video?

It's not like we shot a Verhoeven-style movie, where there is tons of gore and then we get an R-rating only after cutting it and cutting it. I always structured the movie to get the R-rating and not the NC-17, so there is not a lot of gore in the movie. Pretty much what we shot ended up on the screen. There was a few bits, maybe, had a bit more gore, but not a substantial amount. So there's no plans to go back and do some sort of uncut version. Maybe I could shoot some more bloods and guts and brains? (laughs)

It's pretty much an open secret that a new, more extensive DVD release of Resident Evil is being worked on. Why are there going to be two versions?

I pushed all the way through shooting and post-production to get as much on the DVD as possible. I'm a big DVD fan and I really like DVDs loaded with material. And I really do think that the DVD that is being released now has got some good stuff on it. But what happened is, we actually pushed so much and came up with so much great stuff, that the logistics of it and getting it ready in time just weren't feasible.

The DVD coming out now was basically due to be "locked" only four weeks after the movie came out. And it was not a process I was heavily involved in before, so it was a real eye-opener for me. I was still mixing the movie, and suddenly I was getting calls saying, "You've got to decide on this, this, and this for the DVD. Today!"

So, there will be another edition that we're still currently working on with plenty more. But that will come a little later…and it's purely because we generated so much stuff. I really hate it when studios just release the movies and maybe the trailer, and then two months later you get the big special edition. I wish this first one could be as loaded as it could be, but it's still very good.

To Columbia's credit, they have been relatively open about the fact that another DVD is likely to happen sooner rather than later, and I think I can speak for most fans when I say that as long as a studio is upfront about an upcoming release, at least then we have a choice whether to buy now or wait for the next edition.

That's something I wanted them to do as well, because I go out and buy a lot of DVDs every week myself. What we've got on the disc is more loaded than a lot of DVDs. And we got a lot of people on the commentary…

also a little bit about Event Horizon....

Perhaps the most controversial of the your films is Event Horizon, which has become legendary among fans for all the rumored studio tinkering and different cuts of the film. I can say the current DVD is disappointing...is it frustrating as a filmmaker when you walk into the video store, and there is your movie out on DVD with nothing on it, and oftentimes you weren't aware it was being released?

Yeah, it's very frustrating, and I'm very frustrated about it. I'd like to see a special edition of Event Horizon; it's got so little extras on it, but at least it has the movie, I suppose. And there is a lot of extra material that could be on there, and I think that frustration is what led me to push so hard with Columbia during Resident Evil to put as many extras on the DVD as possible. It's like anything, the more involved you are as a filmmaker the better it will end up being. But I also had less control over Event Horizon, and DVD was in its infancy then, so I didn't realize it at the time what an opportunity was being missed.

hmmm.... interesting
Old 06-21-04, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Wasn't this interview from about two years ago?

Where is the other edition?

WHERE?

And the sequel is just a month away. If there was another version coming, they would have had to have announced it by now.
Old 06-21-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah true...
Old 06-22-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just noticed in the latest issue of Video Store magazine that there is a Resident Evil Deluxe Edition coming out. There is no street date given on that page. It's on page 17.
Old 06-22-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jiggawhat
I just noticed in the latest issue of Video Store magazine that there is a Resident Evil Deluxe Edition coming out. There is no street date given on that page. It's on page 17.
Hopefully its better then the Spider-Man Deluxe Edition.
Old 06-22-04, 03:38 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably another free movie ticket incentive to get people to double dip...
Old 06-22-04, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Yup, just got today's Video Store Magazine and there are a bunch of new SEs, with "Coming Soon" beneath them.

So I guess it's in the works.

However...

Their previous "Deluxe" edition was Spider-Man, which was just the old SE with a bonus disc containing promo material for the sequel.

So I don't know if the Deluxe RE will have the longer cut or not. There's not much to go on from that ad, but it's good news.
Old 06-23-04, 03:36 AM
SvenL

Any chance anybody could scan that ad and post a picture here?
Old 06-23-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The release date is 9/07/04. I don't know if it will hold or not but that's the date that i got from this site.

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musit...p?sku=D19983++
Old 06-23-04, 06:45 PM
Suspended

There you go.

It cut off the top where it shows a tombstone, but that's the problem with these tabloid sized trades. My scanner isn't big enough!

That should show you the cover, though. I don't know if any of those details or key art are final.
Old 06-23-04, 08:13 PM

The release date is 9/07/04. I don't know if it will hold or not but that's the date that i got from this site.

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musit...p?sku=D19983++
So it's 101 min like the other 2.
Old 06-23-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ooooooooohhh.... Christine SE

& yeah, looks like another crappy Deluxe Edition of Resident Evil (smell likes Spider-Man's dung again)....

so, looks like off i go with SuperBit then.... & Christine SE
Old 06-23-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh & thanx for the picture & info
Old 06-24-04, 02:04 AM
SvenL

Thanks for the picture.

I agree that it doesn't sound good that they'll call it 'Deluxe Edition' - if it actually were a longer cut then they'll write that on the cover.
Old 06-24-04, 11:43 AM

Theres loads of new special features that are going to be on the Resident Evil dvds, so it wont just be a rip off, more commentaries and lots of documentaries and cut scenes, sounds more than good to me, and it may well be the longer cut if they are going to do it right. and I am sure there will be lots of puff promo stuff for the 2nd film too.
Old 06-24-04, 02:48 PM
Suspended

I never bought the first disc, so I hope this one will be the definitive version.

I hate when what you really want is the Superbit first disc and the second disc of extras, so you have to decide on getting lesser AV quality or no extras.

There's no way in hell I'm buying both.
Old 06-24-04, 03:40 PM
SvenL

The original disc had one of the most entertaining audio commentaries I've ever heard - it might not be very informational but it's a lot of fun.

So the Superbit + Extras disc idea would be terrible IMHO - to me the audio commentaries are always the most important extras.
Old 06-24-04, 05:50 PM

3 audio commentaries on the new version, 2 confirmed as being recorded (only one on the old dvd) and the 3rd by Maralyn Manson! sure I read that ages ago! that would be very interesting as the music in the film was amazingly well done by old grey face.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.