Spider-Man & Resident Evil Re-release??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spider-Man & Resident Evil Re-release??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Tobey's commentary is on the SB disc only but not on the deluxe disc evades me
Because the Deluxe Edition is just the old widescreen version discs, packaged with a third disc of light extras.

You can't really add a commentary to the third disc, since it doesn't contain the feature.

did that ad state that the Superbit contains an actual new transfer? Another Web site stated this, but I wanted to make sure.
The ad just shows a photo of the Superbit version as being "Also Available," with a little bubble that says "INCLUDES AN EXCLUSIVE COMMENTARY FROM TOBEY MAGUIRE" and it notes that it will also include a free movie ticket.

Spiderman doesnt deserve any special treatment at all, it is over rated pants
- man, Spiderman wears tights, not pants.
Old 03-24-04, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the movie/internet commentary. It was basically Tobey and Defoe doing a regular commentary over the movie. Nothing that involved the viewer except for the fact that the veiwer was watching via their PC.
I was hoping this commentary would come out on DVD since I really enjoyed it. It's the SuperBit for me all the way.
Old 03-24-04, 12:09 PM

I am torn between which one to buy. I don't own the previous release so I thought I would pick up the deluxe edition. Now it seems that the deluxe is nothing more that the same old version with the extras being lame on the third disc (basically Spiderman 2 fluff).

Although I don't have a DTS setup, the superbit does look intriguing.
Old 03-24-04, 12:34 PM

Well, I think that would all depend.
If you are a person who likes to watch hours upon hours of extras, I would get the deluxe version.
If you are more for quality of sound/picture, I would do SuperBit.
Though, if you are a crazy Spider-Man fan like myself, then I would just do both. heh.
Though,...obviously that 3rd option is not for everyone.

Also, keep in mind that both version will have a free ticket to see the 2nd movie. So if you were already planning to go and taking someone with you, once you subtract the price of the movie tickets, buying both would cost about the same as buying just the one. What do movie tickets go for in your parts? Over here in Tucson it's about $8.50 a piece. So for me,...it's $17 just to see the movie with my wife. That's the price right there for one of those DVDs. So if I didn't have either, I would just get both.

Once again...not for everyone. I'm just crazy like that. hehehe
Old 03-24-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The extras really aren't that great on the current version. It's mostly fluff stuff really.

I recommend the Superbit, especially if it includes a new transfer as some sites are reporting.
Old 03-24-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jough
packaged with a third disc of light extras.
Is there a list of what's on that third disc somewhere? I've looked through the thread, but I must be missing it...
Old 03-24-04, 04:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, see the image above. It'll have a featurette on Spidey 2, plus a bunch of DVD-ROM features including a preview level for the Spidey 2 PC game.
Old 03-24-04, 04:28 PM

wow... I could download that stuff faster then trying to see it on the DVD...
Old 03-24-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I didn't know there was going to be a free ticket in there. Definately will be picking up the Superbit now.
Old 03-25-04, 01:54 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rexinnih
I didn't know there was going to be a free ticket in there. Definately will be picking up the Superbit now.
Yeah. It does make the upgrade easier to justify

Now I wonder if the cover artwork is custom like Charlie's Angels SB or is it like the regular SB with the platinum/silver outline.
Old 03-25-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jough
Well, see the image above. It'll have a featurette on Spidey 2, plus a bunch of DVD-ROM features including a preview level for the Spidey 2 PC game.
" ... and more never-before-seen features"

That's the part I was wondering about. Is this just more Spidey 2 fluff, or will there be some actual new featurettes/supplements about Spidey 1.
Old 03-25-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eau
Now I wonder if the cover artwork is custom like Charlie's Angels SB or is it like the regular SB with the platinum/silver outline.
From The Digital Bits:
Old 03-25-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cover art has been posted and it looks like a standard Superbit with the widescreen original release cover art.
Old 03-25-04, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by eau
It's the regular SB - the WS version of the cover zoomed-in a bit, smaller on a brushed steel background.

I'll post a photo of the Superbit when I get home.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, someone posted it above.
Old 03-25-04, 01:47 PM
Banned

They could have more trailers on the third disc. Are there trailers beyond the WTC one that were missing from the first release? Can those trailers be found on discs for other movies?
Old 03-25-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So...someone please tell me again what is wrong with the original 2-disc release? When is it ever good enough...
Old 03-25-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

many don't like the current transfer
Old 03-25-04, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but the Superbit may not necessarily have a new transfer - and with the commentary track and DTS, it may not even have a higher bitrate than the original.
Old 03-25-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

too bad we have to wait until june or late may to find out if your right jough.
Old 03-26-04, 12:48 AM
Suspended

Well, I hope I'm not if only because I'd love a better transfer for this title, but with the added audio tracks, how much room will be left for the transfer? And so far we have no idea if the Superbit will feature a new transfer or just a re-compressed/downconverted version of the same transfer.

Sigh. Remember back when people thought "Superbit" meant quality because of, you know, more bits? Now it's just another product line.
Old 03-26-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, there is only one Web site reporting a new transfer - DVDAnswers. No one else says anything about the transfer being new.

I think the current transfer looks particularly bad for a new, blockbuster release. It doesn't seem as if much effort was put into it, but who knows. I guess we'll know by May or June.
Old 03-26-04, 11:09 AM

Any word on a info on the Resident Evil re-release, since the thread is about both?
Old 03-26-04, 11:46 AM

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but the Superbit may not necessarily have a new transfer - and with the commentary track and DTS, it may not even have a higher bitrate than the original.
Even with the commentary and DTS there is still plenty of room for the video because Spiderman is only a 2 hour movie. Gladiator, for example, is 2 hours and 35 minutes, and has DD, DTS, DD 2.0, and a commentary track and still has great video so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-26-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gladiator, for example, is 2 hours and 35 minutes, and has DD, DTS, DD 2.0, and a commentary track and still has great video so I wouldn't worry about it.
But, you can tell Gladiator has a slightly compressed look to it; I see this on other Dreamworks movies too (American Beauty comes to mind).
Old 03-26-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by DavidH
I think the current transfer looks particularly bad for a new, blockbuster release. It doesn't seem as if much effort was put into it, but who knows.
Did you see the movie theatrically? The print I saw was very grainy and dull, and this was opening weekend in a THX theater.

I think the movie was just not shot well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.