Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (Version 6.0)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One and Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (Version 6.0)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, June seems so far away, but I guess it isn't.

The new DVDs from march should be arriving to me shortly.

I think they need to step up production on these DVDs though... we need to catch up with the UK.
Old 03-03-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
I think they need to step up production on these DVDs though... we need to catch up with the UK.
We're not that far off from the UK. There are only 4 releases that we don't have so far.

Pyramids of Mars
The Visitation
Earthshock
The TV Movie

And since it's VERY unlikely that the TV Movie will ever see a Region 1 release (from Producer Phillip Segal's own mouth), that leaves only 3.

With The Green Death scheduled for later this year in the UK, we'll probably have 2 releases in October and the other 2 either later in the year or early next year.

I'd hate to rush the releases and end up with something sub-par. The Restoration Team is doing a BEAUTIFUL job with each release and if I have to wait a little longer for each episode, so be it. I love the time and effort they put into the episodes and extras.

Andrew
Old 03-03-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
Wow, June seems so far away, but I guess it isn't.

The new DVDs from march should be arriving to me shortly.

I love that they're putting more and more of these out, but I still haven't caught up with the past releases! As of today, I'm six behind. Need to catch up, need to catch up!
Old 03-03-04, 09:08 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by evenswr
Here's my question: I'm likely to buy the NTSC R1 edition of these episodes, when they're released on DVD. Will they be PAL converted to NTSC converted to PAL converted to NTSC?
They are most likely to be "B&W Film" -> B&W D3 PAL Video Master + Colour overlayed and matched from crusty 30 year old PAL->NTSC Analogue conversion -> Colour D3 PAL Video Master -> Color NTSC Video Master.

The results should have high definition luma and lowish resolution chroma. As chroma is half the resoltion of luma on DVD anyway It shouldn't look all that bad.
Old 03-03-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the new DVD's today, Three Doctors and Seeds of Death. I got Three Doctors at Best Buy, they had 5 copies of it, but they didn't have Seeds of Death, I checked two different Best Buy and for some reason they have it in thier computers that Seeds comes out March 30th. wierd. but Borders had Seeds, so I got it there.

I haven't watched the stories yet, but I looked at some of the extras and they are fantastic. I love the vintage interviews on the Three Doctors DVD. wonderful. the extras are worth the price of the disks alone.
Old 03-03-04, 07:37 PM
Banned

So I finally saw my first 1st doctor movie, Invasion of the Daleks.

I know they are old and vintage, but he has as much charcter as a 2 dollar bill. All he does is walk around being crabby and insulting and going "hhmmmmmm".

think that no more #1 doctors on my list.
Old 03-03-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by turborobb
I bought the new DVD's today, Three Doctors and Seeds of Death. I got Three Doctors at Best Buy, they had 5 copies of it, but they didn't have Seeds of Death, I checked two different Best Buy and for some reason they have it in thier computers that Seeds comes out March 30th. wierd. but Borders had Seeds, so I got it there.

Same at my Best Buy. 5 copies of Three Doctors and no Seeds. I was hoping to pick up Seeds but I'll wait until the 30th. I just got a $10 GC thanks to the Rewards Program and I still haven't watched The Aztecs!

Originally posted by Scot1458
So I finally saw my first 1st doctor movie, Invasion of the Daleks.

I know they are old and vintage, but he has as much charcter as a 2 dollar bill. All he does is walk around being crabby and insulting and going "hhmmmmmm".

think that no more #1 doctors on my list.

William Hartnell doesn't really stand out as a memorable Doctor in this day and age. His biggest claim to fame seems to be the fact that he was the very first Doctor and that's pretty much it. He was at the end of his career when Doctor Who entered his life and towards the end of his run, it really showed.

However, there are a few Who stories that I thought Hartnell excelled beyond his usual performance. "The Romans" and "The War Machines" stand out as my favorite Hartnell stories. "The Time Meddler" is also good. I'm sure others will mention more.

I'd recommend "An Unearthly Child" and "The Daleks" only for historical viewing.

Andrew

Last edited by The Valeyard; 03-03-04 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Series Update:

Both Doctor Who Magazine #341 and an internal BBC magazine, Ariel, have announced the writers signed for the first season of the new Doctor Who series. Joining producer Russell T. Davies, who will pen 8 episodes himself, are:

* Mark Gatiss, best known as the writer and co-creator of "The League of Gentlemen" and the author of several Doctor Who stories including the novels "Last of the Gaderene," "St. Anthony's Fire," "The Roundheads" and "Nightshade" and the Big Finish audios "Phantasmagoria" and "Invaders from Mars," and who penned several of the P.R.o.B.e. videos for BBV

* Steven Moffat, the creator of BBC2's popular comedy series "Coupling" which won "Sitcom of the Year" at the British Comedy Awards, and whose previous Doctor Who credit was the teleplay for the Comic Relief special "The Curse of Fatal Death" with Rowan Atkinson, Julia Sawalha and Jonathan Pryce

* Paul Cornell, the popular writer whose work includes episodes of "Casualty," "Wavelength," "Doctors," "Children's Ward" and "Springhill," and whose Doctor Who works include such novels as "Happy Endings," "Love and War," "The Shadows of Avalon" and both the screenplay for and novelisation of BBCi's "The Scream of the Shalka"

* Rob Shearman, an acclaimed playwright and stage writer who has written Big Finish's most popular Doctor Who audio teleplays including "The Holy Terror," "The Chimes of Midnight," "Jubilee," "Scherzo" and "Deadline," and who was awarded Writer of the Year at 2003's Doctor Who Magazine awards in London in November

Producer Mal Young told Ariel, "I've never received so many requests from writers and actors to be involved in a drama series, as I have had for Doctor Who." Added producer Julie Gardner, "Finding writers for the new series of Doctor Who has been one of the best jobs I've ever had. The talent available was exceptional."

Davies himself noted that he believes that he has "the best people in the business now working on the best show. They'll be writing stories ranging across the whole of time and space. The Doctor and Rose already have the best allies on their journey - brilliant writers with brilliant scripts. It's an honour to work with these people who are so talented; they shouldn't be allowed to travel together!" Outpost Gallifrey has learned that one of these newly confirmed writers will pen two scripts for Davies; another unnamed participant decided to withdraw at an earlier time (solely due to schedule complications). All are said to be working off of "very basic" ideas - rather than full outlines, as has been reported elsewhere - from Davies, who will generate the major framework of the first series and is leaving the actual details to these experienced TV writers. Filming on the new series begins "in the spring."

If (and when) the new series is released on DVD, do you think they'll go the single story route or a full Season Set.

With the new series, I'd go with the later. But that's just me.

Andrew
Old 03-03-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't wait to see a Hartnell episode, or even Troughton for that matter (outside of The Two, Three, Five Doctors episodes). Back in the day, my PBS started with Pertwee so I've never seen much of those two. I have not started getting these on DVD yet, but I shall. I've been getting in the mood again as I came across two boxes of VHS tapes that I have in the basement. When my PBS ran them, I taped each story in SP mode, one per tape. I saw them not in episodic format, but all edited together like the FOX VHS releases were done.

So last night, I opened one of the boxes and picked a random tape and started to watch. I actually didn't remember what happened in Delta and the Bannermen, so it was almost like it seeing it for the first time.

Last edited by Scorpio; 03-03-04 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by The Valeyard
New Series Update:

If (and when) the new series is released on DVD, do you think they'll go the single story route or a full Season Set.

With the new series, I'd go with the later. But that's just me.

Andrew

Are they continuing on with Paul McGann then? Why do I feel great trepidation for this?
Old 03-03-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scorpio
Are they continuing on with Paul McGann then? Why do I feel great trepidation for this?
They haven't announced Who the latest Doctor will be. Richard E. Grant was recently named the 9th Doctor in the BBCi Webcast of "The Scream of the Shalka."

Here's what's known thus far:

Doctor Who
Produced by BBC Wales for BBC1
Thirteen 45-minute episodes, broadcasting on Saturday evenings on BBC1 beginning in early 2005

Cast unknown; characters will consist of the Doctor and companion Rose Tyler, traveling in the TARDIS. Stories will be a mixture of Earth-based adventures and outer space/alien worlds.

Series writers:
Russell T. Davies
Paul Cornell
Robert Shearman
Steven Moffatt
Mark Gatiss

Confirmed production team includes Russell T. Davies, Mal Young, Julie Gardner; commissioned by Lorraine Heggessey, Controller of BBC1

Contenders for the role of the Doctor mentioned in the popular press include:

Bill Nighy (Underworld, Blow Dry, Still Crazy, FairyTale: A True Story, The Maitlands; film and theatre actor)

Eddie Izzard (Velvet Goldmine, Shadow of the Vampire; internationally known stand-up comic)

Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek, A Many Splintered Thing, Bob & Rose; television actor, comedian)

Sean Pertwee (Event Horizon, The 51st State, Dog Soldiers, Cold Feet; son of Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee)

Paul McGann (Doctor Who, Withnail and I, Hornblower, Alien3; played the Eighth Doctor in 1996 film, Big Finish audios)

Richard E. Grant (Withnail and I, Gosford Park, Posh Nosh, Bram Stoker's Dracula; played future Doctor in "Curse of Fatal Death" and Ninth Doctor in BBCi "Scream of the Shalka")

That's all so far! Since they begin production "in the spring," it's only a matter of time before the new Doctor is announced. Personally, I hope they stick with McGann but that's looking doubtful.

Andrew
Old 03-04-04, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm way out of touch with what has been happening in the Who world for some time. I didn't even get to see the last four McCoy's as my PBS finally caught up with the BBC and there was nothing new to show at the time, and then Who disappeared from the station. I seriously hope they keep continuity with the show and pick up where they left off with McGann. If they don't, they better have a damn good explanation as to what happened. I'd hate to see a regeneration wasted for one story! He'll end up having to steal another cycle like the Master at this rate.
Old 03-04-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it will depend on the format of the new series. If it's a bunch of single 45 minute episode stories, then a "season box set" will do. If it's a series of multi episode 90 minute plus stories (Like the old series was shown) then I would say single story DVD's are the way to go.... or they could release it like Farscape is on DVD with Volumes of 4 or 5 episodes on each release.

I can't wait to see a Hartnell episode, or even Troughton for that matter
like you I only saw Pertwee and up on my local PBS station, and a couple years ago I started getting back into Doctor Who after 10 years and watching the first two Doctors for the first time. I know they aren't for everyone being all old, slow and black and white, but I LOVED them. The 60's era of the show is now my favorite, I love the b-movie sci fi feel to them and the scary monsters, overall much better than Tom Bakers era IMO.

So last night, I opened one of the boxes and picked a random tape and started to watch. I actually didn't remember what happened in Delta and the Bannermen, so it was almost like it seeing it for the first time.
yikes! thats a strange one to pick at random, I know most fans think of Delta was one of Doctor Who's worse episodes.
Old 03-04-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any word on a US broadcast of the new adventures? BBCAmerica, perhaps?
Old 03-04-04, 07:43 AM

I seriously hope they keep continuity with the show and pick up where they left off with McGann. If they don't, they better have a damn good explanation as to what happened. I'd hate to see a regeneration wasted for one story! He'll end up having to steal another cycle like the Master at this rate.
Yeah, I'm like you. If McGann doesn't take on the job, then I feel the producers should just go get Sylvester again to do another regeneration scene and just pretend the TV movie doesn't exist, placing it in an "alternate universe" (like the two Peter Cushing films). It would be stupid to waste an entire regeneration on a single adventure (the Fox TVM).

Since the movie cannot be aired in syndicated reruns with the old series anyway, any potential new viewers of the old material wouldn't miss McGann anyway.

Personally, though, I do hope he sticks with it. He made a decent Doctor, even if the TV movie wasn't particularly great.
Old 03-04-04, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Although I'll agree that McGann makes a great Doctor - he really shines in the Big Finish audios - and I'd love to see him back, the chances of it happening are next to zero. Every indication I've read says that they want to make a clean break with the old series and not get bogged down in continuity.

I'm not to worried about wasting a regeneration. I'm sure that when the time comes, the writers will throw out a Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow technobabble line, and POW a whole new regeneration cycle.
Old 03-04-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by turborobb

I haven't watched the stories yet, but I looked at some of the extras and they are fantastic. I love the vintage interviews on the Three Doctors DVD. wonderful. the extras are worth the price of the disks alone.
I had the same experience at Best Buy, except that the nice lady in the blue shirt looked up the release date for The Three Doctors and discovered that it was listed as March 9th. She then took the DVD out of my hand and insisted that she was not going to allow me buy it, as it could lead to a $50,000 fine. She then found the release date of March 2nd on bestbuy.com, and, after talking it over with her manager, agreed to let me buy it. Seeds of Death, however, did not appear to be in stock at any Best Buy, anywhere.
Old 03-04-04, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Every indication I've read says that they want to make a clean break with the old series and not get bogged down in continuity.
Reading something like this really causes me to worry. If they intend to pull a Marvel comics and re-write history, I'll have a hell of a time accepting this. That is simply outrageous.
Old 03-04-04, 03:29 PM
Suspended

As I understand it, they dont intend to re-write continuity, or reboot the show and start from zero. They're getting back to basics - none of this "So Doc-tor, we meet again at last! This time you will suffer for my defeat on Zeta-Prime a THOUSAND fold!" that the last couple of seasons of the show suffered from.

There's no intent to contradict what has come before - just an effort to write the show so that a viewer doesnt have to watch 26 years of episodes before they have an idea what the hell is going on.
Old 03-04-04, 03:39 PM

Phew. Well okay then. I hope they'd still reference some stuff occaisonaly though. Throw out a reference to the Brigadier, Bessie, stuff like that...... You know that at least 50% of this audience is going to be Who geeks anyway. There should be some stuff that ONLY we get.
Old 03-04-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phew. Well okay then. I hope they'd still reference some stuff occaisonaly though. Throw out a reference to the Brigadier, Bessie, stuff like that...... You know that at least 50% of this audience is going to be Who geeks anyway. There should be some stuff that ONLY we get.
Well...
That sounds a lot like the final season of the show back in 1989. "Battlefield" has the Brigadier and Bessie, I believe.
I think that when they say that the new series won't be a "reboot," they don't mean that it'll be continuity-heavy, just that it won't contradict existing continuity. I wouldn't expect more than a passing reference to old monsters or companions in the first thirteen, unless we get one Dalek episode or something like that.
Old 03-04-04, 05:39 PM

Oh, you know damn well that the return of the Daleks will be huge and they'll certainly play up to that. I couldn't see them never revisting some of the Doctor's classic foes, at least as far as the Daleks, Cybermen, and The Master are concerned.
Old 03-04-04, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Not to go off topic and start talking about DVDs or anything . . .

The Restoration Team has really spoiled me. My copy of the Blake's 7 Season 1 boxed set showed up today. This, of course gave me the perfect opportunity to compare restored and un-restored material (B7 vs Who - two low budget Brit-Fi shows from the same era, with broadcast masters in probably about the same condition).

Wow - talk about night and day. Don't get me wrong, the B7 set is in pretty good shape, all things considered - but the print isn't nearly as clean as a comparable Who episode. You can really tell that the loving care lavished on the one series really pays off in the end.

That being said, I'm still enjoying the hell out of the show. But once you have a taste of the good life, it's hard to go back.
Old 03-04-04, 10:45 PM

Are there any plans for a region 1 Blake's 7 box?
Old 03-05-04, 01:28 AM
Suspended

There is - or at least there was a couple of months ago. The down side is, last time I heard any details - the plan was that they were going to do the whole series (all 52 episodes) in one huge box set, on 10 discs. You can imagine what the compression rate would have to be to squeeze THAT many episodes on so few discs.

Also it was going to be a bare bones release. The R2 set has a smattering of extras, a trailer for season 2 and 3 commentaries - not great, but a step above what the US had in store.

But that was several months ago, like I said. Since then any rumors of upcoming releases have fallen off the radar. The long and the short is, I wouldnt hold my breath for anything in the US any time soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.