DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

WIP: The Primetime Anthology

Old 02-16-05, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy The Vampire Slayer finished. (3D preview in first post updated)
Up next: Angel.
Old 02-16-05, 12:23 PM
Cool New Member

Any news on availability of these covers?

pry
Old 02-16-05, 01:07 PM

They'll be made available soon, just hang on and keep checking this thread, once everything has been worked out I'll post all the info you need right here.
So ... patience, young one
Old 02-26-05, 03:00 PM

Angel previews added to the first post.
Old 02-26-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 659 Likes on 463 Posts
Scara, you might want to check into streamload.com. It is 1GB free per/month. I signed up for 10GB per/month. They price it two ways, $5 a month or $45 ($3.75 month) for the year. The $45 seemed like a good deal, enough for hosting a few covers purpose.

BTW, how come Quantum Leap isn't on that list? Why bother with SG-1? You already have a nice set. Not to mention there are about a dozen other ones as well. That is why I abandoned my SG-1 set.
Old 02-27-05, 02:55 PM

Progress report on the PrimeTime Distribution Node (cheap ST plug ... I know ....), finished so far are:
- Login functions and scripts
- Basic database layout (including but not limited the information I want to store)
- Bandwith control functions

Instead of just throwing all the covers online and up for grabs to anyone out there, the site will be a "members only" affair. You can become a member if you get referred, either through a variety of sites or by respected people in the cover scene.

Each show will have a different subsection with basic information about the show, a complete 3D line-up and small previews of each cover in that sub-series. When you click the small preview you'll go to an intermediate one. On that same page you'll also be able to vote, leave comments and, of course, download the full res cover.

I'll also log which covers you've downloaded before and how many times you've downloaded em (so ... no ... I won't like it if you download the same cover a 100 times). But don't worry, you'll be able to view all that and more yourself too.

There's also gonna be a "Work in Progress" and "Requests" section. The names pretty much tell you what to expect.

That's about all for now ... things might change along the way as different needs arise or suggestions and requests are made.

PS. Did I mention this will all be made from scratch ? So no PHP Nuke, Coppermine or the likes ... it's probably gonna take a bit longer to realise (although modding is often more difficult then making), but in the end it's no doubt gonna be worth it.
Old 02-27-05, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
BTW, how come Quantum Leap isn't on that list?
Because I'm not taking any more requests untill I've reduced the current to-do list to at least 10 titles.

Why bother with SG-1?
1. It was requested
2. I wanted to do it ... just so there's a set that matches the grand design ... people would have requested it no doubt if I hadn't put it in that list to begin with.

You already have a nice set.
It's different ... which is basically why I'm also making em available in the PrimeTime format.

Not to mention there are about a dozen other ones as well.
Now that's one of those things I don't give a damn about ... if I would have cared about that I wouldn't have made those 21 Star Trek covers ... if there's already a lot then there's probably not enough yet

The goal of the collection is for people to be able to have all their TV-shows lined up on a shelf (or, if you have a lot of tv-shows on dvd, shelves) and have the "collection feeling" without losing the unique feel of each show.
Old 02-27-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Scaramanga
Now that's one of those things I don't give a damn about ... if I would have cared about that I wouldn't have made those 21 Star Trek covers ... if there's already a lot then there's probably not enough yet
The only reason I brought it up is that shows with a dozen cover sets already could be considered low priority to shows that don't have customs at all. Just a thought, that is all I was getting at.
Old 03-02-05, 03:38 PM

I'm not gonna put the image in the page, cause that would stretch things a bit too much ... just click the link:

The PRIMETIME Anthology
Old 03-02-05, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Site looks fantastic. Just like the covers, simple and to the point.

Can't wait!

pry

PS- need any mods?
Old 03-02-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You've probably heard it many times already, but those are really neat covers. Simple, yet they capture some of the essence of each show. I've a total novice in doing DVD covers, and I've been reading a ton of photoshop tutorials just to get my feet wet. My first attempt was at a Six Feet Under cover (still going through a lot of revisions), but while I was working on that, I thought that it would take me an immense amount of time and creative energy if I had to design a different cover for each season of a TV series. I think your idea works really well, and all you had to do was put a different number for each different season of a series. In fact, I think it works so well that I'm going to try to do some myself in a similar style
Old 03-03-05, 12:32 PM

Scaramanga, your site looks amazing! Is there a way I could go about getting referred?
Old 03-03-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is it live? All I've seen is the jpg.
Old 03-03-05, 03:40 PM

Superb Scaramanga, nice site and I've already expressed how smart the covers are, particularly for someone with a heck of a lot of TV Dvds and a tiny amount of time and ability in personalising.
Old 03-03-05, 05:17 PM

I just meant that the .jpg made the site look potentially great - sorry for the confusion! I would love to find out for real, though.

Last edited by ClayinCA; 03-07-05 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-06-05, 04:00 PM

Progress update:
- Login functions and scripts
- Basic database layout (including but not limited the information I want to store)
- Bandwith control functions
- Series overview finished (overview of all the series which are part of the collection)
- Series page finished (page with information about one specific series, which also includes the available covers)
- Cover page (information about the cover and intermediate preview)
- Download script (including protection of the image url so you can't circumvent your download from being registered)
- WIP section finished (overview similar to the Series overview, but for covers to come or in development)
- News section finished
- "Your Account" section 75% finished (still need to give you guys the possibility to change your registration information)
- Requests section 90% finished (still need to implement a form to add new titles to the list, adding your name to an existing one has already been coded though, so no ... you can't request the same title more then once)
- Implemented the download registering script (which logs who downloads what and when he / she does it)
- 2nd Layout added (Alias = same colour tone as DA but in red/brown)

Last edited by Scaramanga; 03-06-05 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 12:25 AM

Scaramanga, great work I love these covers. The preview of the site really looks fantastic as well. I had seen pictures of some of the covers, but had no idea you had done so many.
Keep up the good work!
Old 03-10-05, 02:43 AM

Progress:
- Requests section finished
- About / Contact page
- Commenting on covers added.
- Design streamlined (+ fixing a few bugs in the proces)

Only major thing that still needs to be done now is the Search function.
Old 03-12-05, 10:21 AM

Just so you all know: the site has gone into beta-testing ...
Old 03-12-05, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

need a beta tester?!?

pry
Old 03-12-05, 01:28 PM

Ygm
Old 03-13-05, 02:05 PM

I'd be happy to test, too ... if you want.
Old 03-15-05, 07:35 AM
Cool New Member

Can't wait till it's all live and running Scaramanga, if it still looks like the preview jpg it's going to be very smart
Old 03-15-05, 11:18 PM

Heh, would be glad to be a beta-tester too. Great color scheme, btw.
Old 03-27-05, 02:00 PM

any word if/when these will be accessible?

dying to get these on my shelves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.