Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

 
Old 04-26-04, 12:35 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 90
Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

Well...I just received my lovely boxed set of the Monster Collection. Nice heads, by the way. The packaging is lovely too...Now for the BAD part....

Disk 2 of the FRANKENSTEIN set (HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN) won't play at all on my Panasonic DVD player...and will only play the film - NONE OF THE EXTRAS, all of which are on this side - even on my secondary player (Malata) The extras play fine on both my computers though.

Disk 2 of the DRACULA set WON'T PLAY EITHER SIDE on the Panasonic

Now here's the GOOD NEWS....the Wolfman set seems fine.

I've NEVER had a problem playing ANYTHING on the Malata either, so I'm somewhat ticked off.....
But before I write to Universal to complain, just wondering if others are having similar problems with these disks....

PILLOW TALK had framing issues
MA AND PA KETTLE COLLECTION VOL 1 wouldn't play the fourth film EITHER....
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO Vol 1 broke up during HOLD THAT GHOST....
I know Universal has changed hands (isn't that right?) but how about some quality control.
I just hope there'll be a recall on some of these "sorta defective" disks.....

Last edited by Christian; 04-26-04 at 12:38 PM.
Christian is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 12:48 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Times Square
Posts: 12,133
Well, I don't have ALL the discs you're mentioning, but if you are starting to have problems will many discs, it may very well be that your Panasonic is not healthy. My MA & PA KETTLE and the A&C played with no issues whatsoever.
marty888 is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 12:49 PM
  #3  
Defunct Account
 
John Sinnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 5,920
I had no problem with A&C or Dracula on my Panny. I suspect your player.
John Sinnott is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 12:55 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 1,212
I experienced no problems with either The best Of Abbott & Costello Volume One or The Adventures Of Ma And Pa Kettle Volume One. This may be a problem with your player.
EPKJ is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 01:04 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 90
As MA AND PA and A&C all play fine on the Malata so I'm not overly concerned about those...
However the EXTRAS on the FRANKENSTEIN disk will not play at all (the Malata just locks up) even on the Malata. So I'm not so sure about that one....
Anyways, thanks for all the responses....and if anyone else has problems with the MONSTERS.....let me know.
Thanks again everyone!!!!
Christian is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 01:07 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally posted by Christian
won't play at all on my Panasonic DVD player
Model #?
bboisvert is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 02:48 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,461
Originally posted by marty888
Well, I don't have ALL the discs you're mentioning, but if you are starting to have problems will many discs, it may very well be that your Panasonic is not healthy. My MA & PA KETTLE and the A&C played with no issues whatsoever.
Both my computer Dvd drives have a pausing problem with the Egg and I on the Ma and Pa kettle Volume 1. Plays for a few seconds and then pauses etc. and seemed to be throughout the enitire movie. The othe MA and PA movies play just fine on the Dvd drives. The Egg and I plays just fine on my TV dvd player, though.
ernestrp is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 03:06 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 90
Like I said, the Panasonic (DV-A120) is old...so that probably is the reason I'm finding some new disks don't work anymore. However I've NEVER had a disk (until now) that wouldn't play on the Malata (N 996)....
The fourth MA AND PA KETTLE movie won't play on my parent's two cheap DVD player either....so it looks like it is a player incompatability to me.
Guess I've got to take the offending disks to a store and play them on different new DVD players to find out what the scoop is....what a hassle though....
Christian is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 05:13 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
The monster set plays fine on my all-region JVC - the thing plays scratched discs that wouldn't even register in other players. Heck, it's so reliable, it'll even play a slice of cheese.
slop101 is offline  
Old 04-26-04, 05:19 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 90
....that's what I always thought of the Malata...until the FRANKENSTEIN extras wouldn't play......guess there's too many players out there...and player incompatibility has finally hit me. Maybe I got a bad disk.....guess I'll have to see what happens on players in a store....
Christian is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 06:58 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 773
Originally posted by slop101
The monster set plays fine on my all-region JVC - the thing plays scratched discs that wouldn't even register in other players. Heck, it's so reliable, it'll even play a slice of cheese.
Universal Munster Cheese?

(yuk, yuk... I kill myself!)
jblackie is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 09:39 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
I just got back from Best Buy, and MAN what a pain in the ass. The first four sets I picked up, just by turning it upside I could already hear loose discs. I picked up one that didn't seem to have a loose disc, until I went out to my car. Ah yes... the phantom disc. Anyways, I went back in to try and find a decent set, after three or four tries I found one that didn't have any loose discs. But inside my Wolfman set, the double sided second disc had what appeared to be finger print smudges all over it. Wow... just wow. This is a marvelous looking set, but I'm very nervous and not highly anticipating sitting through all these movies, only to find that i may have possible playback issues due to some scuffing on a disc or whatever. I'm going to give it a shot, being that they appear to only be smudges and not scratches.
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 09:57 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 541
Zuperman, you can set up anything that looks smudged/scuffed to play before you go to sleep... if, when you get up, it finished playing, it's probably fine. If it's locked up, you'll know it without having to go through the agony of that happening while watching a film.

I do that all the time with my PPV discs. Went through 3 copies of Matrix Revolutions before I got a good one.
gorgo99 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 10:24 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 217
Played fine in my all region Jaton.
Darryl is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 10:49 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Empok Nor
Posts: 1,796
Originally posted by mzupeman2
I just got back from Best Buy, and MAN what a pain in the ass. The first four sets I picked up, just by turning it upside I could already hear loose discs. I picked up one that didn't seem to have a loose disc, until I went out to my car. Ah yes... the phantom disc. Anyways, I went back in to try and find a decent set, after three or four tries I found one that didn't have any loose discs. But inside my Wolfman set, the double sided second disc had what appeared to be finger print smudges all over it. Wow... just wow. This is a marvelous looking set, but I'm very nervous and not highly anticipating sitting through all these movies, only to find that i may have possible playback issues due to some scuffing on a disc or whatever. I'm going to give it a shot, being that they appear to only be smudges and not scratches.
Ahh, that sucks man. I know what you mean. I went to Best Buy bright and early (10am) and I was walking around with the set, and remembered earlier how you said you turned it upside down to hear any loose discs. Well, .. I did so and low and behold I heard alot of noise. So, I quickly went and got one with no loose discs. Also they were almost out of the set and the place had only been open for 15 mins. The promotion rack when you walk in was cleaned out, and in the "Box set" section there were 5-6 left.
NaturalMystic79 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 10:58 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Originally posted by gorgo99
Zuperman, you can set up anything that looks smudged/scuffed to play before you go to sleep... if, when you get up, it finished playing, it's probably fine. If it's locked up, you'll know it without having to go through the agony of that happening while watching a film.

I do that all the time with my PPV discs. Went through 3 copies of Matrix Revolutions before I got a good one.
Yeah, it would suck if it was as bad as having the movie lock up, but sometimes there's only like a second or two with some glitches and then the rest plays fine ya know? I'm very anal retentive when it comes to my DVD's.

Just buyer beware if/when you buy this set!
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 11:20 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
Imagine all those discs tha'll get loose when shipped by amazon or wherever. Looks like Universal screwed the pooch but using shoddy hubs that don't hold the discs too well.
slop101 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 11:23 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berkley, MI
Posts: 5,665
Originally posted by slop101
Imagine all those discs tha'll get loose when shipped by amazon or wherever. Looks like Universal screwed the pooch but using shoddy hubs that don't hold the discs too well.
Damnit!!! Mine is coming from Columbia House. ***Hoping for no scratched discs***
steebo777 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 02:00 PM
  #19  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 144
My boxset had two loose disks. Scratched all to pieces mind you. If you buy the boxset, and do not get atleast one loose disk. You my friend are very lucky, and should go buy a lottery ticket today.
Romero is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 02:20 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 175
I guess I'd better buy a ticket, cause my Best Buy box was just fine. I wasn't even aware of the problem; just picked one up, no shaking.
Ted Kontos is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 02:41 PM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 45
I haven't had one problem yet, I watched the Stephen Somers things on the discs, and watched FRANKENSTIEN MEETS THE WOLFMAN and have had no problems yet.
Judge Dredd is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 02:43 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 317
Just got mine at Bjs went through about five of them till I didn't hear anything shakeing. I'll check for sure when I get home. By the way it was $57.99 at BJs
harpoonipa is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 03:48 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: near Dayton, OH
Posts: 524
My Best Buy priced the complete boxed Legacy set at $72.99 and any single set at $24.99 so I walked out without getting anything for now. To the Best Buy shoppers on this thread, I assume your particular store had better prices than mine!
Keith123 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 04:03 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Empok Nor
Posts: 1,796
Originally posted by Keith123
My Best Buy priced the complete boxed Legacy set at $72.99 and any single set at $24.99 so I walked out without getting anything for now. To the Best Buy shoppers on this thread, I assume your particular store had better prices than mine!
The price on the box and DVD stand had the same price you just mentioned.., however when the CSR rang it up my Monster Legacy Box came up $59.99. I'd go back there and get it, and for good measure take the ad with you.
NaturalMystic79 is offline  
Old 04-27-04, 04:36 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,336
Originally posted by Keith123
My Best Buy priced the complete boxed Legacy set at $72.99 and any single set at $24.99 so I walked out without getting anything for now. To the Best Buy shoppers on this thread, I assume your particular store had better prices than mine!
Yeah, you should've had them ring it up for you - it would have rang up to $59. They had no sale-price displays for them and the sticker was $72 - but they were indeed on sale for $59. (that's really dumb of them, though, because a lot of people who would buy it for $59 walked away empty handed, thinking it would be $72 as marked - unless it was a loss-leader, then that's pretty smart of them).
slop101 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.