Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

Community
Search

Problems with Universal's Monster Collection...here we go again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few sorry pictures. Please excuse the quality, as I don't have a digital camera. These were taken with my sony Digital Handycam. I have a VERY short cord that goes from the camera to my computer, so I had very little room to work with. But still, a picture is a picture. The second one has Ed Wood in it, to go with Dracula, but you can't even tell because of the glare, oh well.

Old 04-28-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Frankenstein dual sided disc was loose in my set. It looks relatively OK, but I haven't played it yet.

Update - plays fine.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 04-28-04 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-29-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Got my set from Amazon and the Frankenstein set had disc 2 loose. Scratched badly. I went to Target to see if I could by a new Frankenstein set and all 4 copies there had loose discs. They also had 2 copies each of Dracula and Wolf Man with loose discs. I'm going to search tomorrow for a replacement Frankenstein set. Don't really want to hastle with returning it to Amazon.
Old 04-29-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a bit better than darkside with my Amazon copy. No floaters, but my Frankenstein Disk 2, Side A has a nasty "factory-fresh" scratch on it; fortunately, it still plays perfectly. My display box, however, took quite a beating from the guys in Amazon's shipping department, who must have used it for training purposes on their wrapping machine.

SKULL: Checked my Son of Dracula and no pause during the jail scene.
Old 04-29-04, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RevKarl
SKULL: Checked my Son of Dracula and no pause during the jail scene.
Thanks for checking. I tried it on another DVD player and it worked on that one. Damn laptop DVD Drive.
Old 04-30-04, 12:51 AM

I received my Universal Monster Legacy Collection this afternoon from Amazon.com via USPS. I opened the package (which was perfect) right away to check out the discs. All of the discs were tightly fixed in their places, but, of course, there were still problems. In both the Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets, disc two/side one are scuffed. Wolf Man's disc two/side one has one long scuff on it. Frankenstein's disc two/side one has several small scuffs around the disc's outer edge.

I was hoping that, since there were no loose discs, the Collection would be pristine. Urgh! I've packed the Collection back up to go back to Amazon. Hopefully I'll get another Collection with all the discs tight in the hubs, but this time with no scuffs or scratches. What a crapshoot! Such a hassle, too. Bleh, Universal!
Old 04-30-04, 08:09 AM

I received my Monster Legacy Collection Gift Set yesterday from Amazon.com via UPS. I looks like I'm one of the lucky ones who had no loose/scuffed discs. I watched Bride of Frankenstein last night and it looked terrific. A co-worker of mine also received the set yesterday from Amazon and his had one loose/scratched disc and slightly torn slip cover packaging on two of the DVD's. Since he paid good money, he's planning on sending it back to Amazon. I've got to believe that Universal Studios is getting a ton of complaints/returns concerning the sloppy way these DVDs were packaged.
Old 04-30-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Universal has become the laughing stock of the home entertainment industry.
Old 04-30-04, 08:13 AM
MSD

All my discs were perfectly fine and i have to say that this set is great! I'm loving it.
Old 04-30-04, 08:22 AM

Just got mine from Best Buy, Frankenstein disc 1 was the only loose one but has no scratches and plays fine...

Strangely, Frankenstein Disc 2 has a small crack at the hub... doesn't touch the playable area *yet*... but it could spread since the hub-holder thing on the case makes such a tight fit. So far all of the movies on that one have played.

I'm hoping BB will let me swap just the Frankenstein set... since they don't have many of the "collector sets" in stock.
Old 04-30-04, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by fryinpan1
Universal has become the laughing stock of the home entertainment industry.
This is not true. With their Franchise and Legacy Collections, Universal is rapidly becoming the best at releasing catalog titles at affordable prices and packaged in logical sets. They are actually setting a standard of excellence.
Old 04-30-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine were fine...all the discs were secure and A-OK. The only slight disappoinment is that if buying the discs individually there was a Van Helsing ticket included...but in the box set, there wasn't... too bad, but at least the busts kick total ass... for the extra few dollars (literally...like $3more) they are certainly worth it... no playback problems so far... a top notch set.

MATT
Old 04-30-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
This is not true. With their Franchise and Legacy Collections, Universal is rapidly becoming the best at releasing catalog titles at affordable prices and packaged in logical sets. They are actually setting a standard of excellence.
1. Back to the Future - misframing
2. Monty Python The Meaning of Live - errors
3. Monster Legacy Gift set - many loose disks
4. double dipping (Bourne Identity - Explosive Extended Edition, Fast and the Furious, The - Tricked Out Edition)
5. forced trailers
6. no inserts
Old 04-30-04, 11:17 AM

That's strange.... my disc 2 was loose too.
Old 04-30-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I picked my up my gift set at work today, disc 2 of Dracula and Frankenstein were loose, and the slipcase for Dracula had a nice tear on the front.

I will probably swap them both out for the non-gift set versions tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 04-30-04, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Universal screwed up the packaging on a release? That's SO unlike them!

Yes, after:

1) Back to the Future misframing
2) E.T. packaging that had nothing on the spine and incorrect features listed
3) No bottom to the sleeve on Schindler's List
4) Brittle Collector's Set packaging on Schindler's List
5) An uncloseable flap on the E.T. "Ultimate" gift set
6) Those little flippy tabs on many new releases
7) No inserts
and now
8) Loose/scratched discs in the Monster Legacy Collection

Universal has the WORST track record when it comes to DVD packaging.
Old 04-30-04, 10:01 PM

All right...get this monster fans. The problem isn't only in the packaging. Check out the soundtrack to DRACULA. At the end of the film neither Renfield nor Dracula scream during their deaths. Universal used the old soundtrack! All you hear now is one short gasp from Drac. Unbelievable.
Old 04-30-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by W-Mans
All right...get this monster fans. The problem isn't only in the packaging. Check out the soundtrack to DRACULA. At the end of the film neither Renfield nor Dracula scream during their deaths. Universal used the old soundtrack! All you hear now is one short gasp from Drac. Unbelievable.
Hit your "audio" button on your remote or whatever, and change it to audio track #2. Both the original soundtrack, and the updated one, are included...as well as the commentary track.
Old 04-30-04, 10:16 PM

It sure doesn't work on my copy. Let me get this straight: you actually hear Dracula scream in pain in your Legacy version? I'm not just talking a gasp, but a scream like in the original DVD.
Old 04-30-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear Dracula gasp out quickly, and then lets out a loud moan type deal. When Renfield died, he really belts out a scream on the second audio track, while the first one doesn't really have any of that.
Old 04-30-04, 10:25 PM

Yeah, but you're talking about the awful Phillip Glass sound track. I'm refering to the first Dvd release which had no music, (the way it was originally screened) and the screams, and bats and wind (the way it was originally screened). Right? Or am I confused?
Old 04-30-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not know, I never watched the other DVD. I just know that there the differences between the two deaths which you are explaining, sounds to me like what I am hearing on this DVD on track one and two.

And yes, track two on here is the Phillip Glass score.
Old 04-30-04, 10:30 PM

Okay, that's what I thought. So there is no way to hear the correct soundtrack the way it was originally intended, like in the original release. Trust me.
Old 04-30-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My brother and I had to go to two different BB stores on Tuesday to find 2 sets without floaters. About to crack it open to check it out.
Old 05-01-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
So, was this audio problem on the original Dracula DVD? I never heard about it when that was released. This kind of sucks though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.