Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Poll - Which Version?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Ep. 4-6 would you most like to see?
Theatrical Editions
58.98%
Special Edition (with digitally added footage)
32.81%
Doesn't Matter - not a fan
8.20%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm just curious - which version of Star Wars Episodes 4-6 would you rather see released on DVD (if you had to choose just one). My apologies if this has already been polled before, but thought it would be interesting...

Added 4/21/04 - 10:15 PST
Fine, from this point forward, let's assume that:

If you don't care which they release, vote for Option 3 (C). I figure this classification would be also useful for those who don't care because they hate the original trilogy. So if you love it or hate it, and just want the damn thing now, vote for Option 3. Options 1 & 2 are for those who specfically want it one way or the other.

Last edited by modfather; 04-21-04 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

GREeDo diD NoT $HOoT FIrST

LUcA$ RapED mY cHILDhOOd
Old 04-20-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome - now we can devote this thread to the debate instead of hijacking others' threads.

I chose Special Editions. I'm a fan, and would seriously take whatever he threw at us, but I respect the fact that Lucas considers these "the final film." I know people will say "oh well an artist can't change his work!!" I believe he can. That's why authors print new editions of books with different/added material. This is no different in my mind.

Plus, since I'm a fan, I like any new stuff that's in there. I don't care about Greedo shooting first. The fact that so many people are SO MAD about that leaves me wondering what else bothers them. Maybe they also use tissues when opening doors....
Old 04-20-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Toad
The fact that so many people are SO MAD about that leaves me wondering what else bothers them. Maybe they also use tissues when opening doors....
Oh God, that is hilarious.
Old 04-20-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't get emotional over anything. In all seriousness, I'm not uptight - I'm a real loose, nice guy.

That said, just answer a question for me:

If he decided that he wanted to remove scenes, big scenes. If he wanted to convert the movies to black and white. If he decided that he wanted to digitally add Jar Jar Binks in the background of every shot - mugging for the camera and stepping in a pile of Ewok crap, wouldn't those things bother you?

They're his movies - Luca$ owns them (I suppose). He can do with them whatever he wants. But I think it's sad to take a classic franchise and digitally alter it. Just like it would be sad if they added color to "To Kill A Mockingbird" or "Psycho" or (insert your favorite black & white movie here).

In the long run, it really doesn't matter - they're just movies. If nuclear war broke out tomorrow, I think we could all give a crap about SW, but it is a *little* sad, isn't it?

Oh well, just my 2 pennies...
Old 04-20-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I voted Theatrical, but I still enjoy the SEs.
Old 04-20-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, now I realize you're a rational, sensible person so that's cool. To answer your question - yes those things would bug me as a fan. But the SEs were released like 10 years ago almost (ok like 7) - we've known about this for a long time. You have every right to be pissed if it makes you pissed - I'm just so tired of having it brought up in EVERY SW thread created as an inevitability (just like someone bring up LOTR as well). It doesn't bother me if you feel that way, no matter what, it's brought up and threads get hijacked. That's why this thread is better.

If he took out A big scene, that would suck but I could live with it. If he added A big scene, I could live with it. If he adds MANY or takes out MANY then that's not as cool. But I actually wouldn't mind having some scenes changed/added for consistency sake.
Old 04-20-04, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Toad
Ok, now I realize you're a rational, sensible person so that's cool. To answer your question - yes those things would bug me as a fan. But the SEs were released like 10 years ago almost (ok like 7) - we've known about this for a long time. You have every right to be pissed if it makes you pissed - I'm just so tired of having it brought up in EVERY SW thread created as an inevitability (just like someone bring up LOTR as well). It doesn't bother me if you feel that way, no matter what, it's brought up and threads get hijacked. That's why this thread is better.

If he took out A big scene, that would suck but I could live with it. If he added A big scene, I could live with it. If he adds MANY or takes out MANY then that's not as cool. But I actually wouldn't mind having some scenes changed/added for consistency sake.
Do you not understand the ramifications of Greedo shooting first? Do you understand that it significantly changes the character of Han Solo from a badass to a Wookie's bitch
Old 04-20-04, 04:23 PM

Plus the beginning of ROTJ SE sucks big donkey balls as compared to the original music and characters.
Old 04-20-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Han was always Chewy's bitch anyway. Arms aren't the only thing a wookie can tear off...
Old 04-20-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by neiname
Do you not understand the ramifications of Greedo shooting first? Do you understand that it significantly changes the character of Han Solo from a badass to a Wookie's bitch
not really. No matter who shot first, Han is obviously a better gunslinger and he still has the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.
Old 04-20-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This is like starting a poll with the two options:
Which would you rather have?
A.) A blow job
B.) A kick in the family jewels
Old 04-20-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Chewy will be in Ep. 3...Is it just me, or do I have a bad feeling that we're going to meet Chewbacca and his "friend/fellow pirate" "CloudBlaster Solo"... And meet his son - "Han Solo".

For such an advanced galaxy, things sure do focus around about 15 people/droids. Coincidences are overly abundant in Ep's 1-3. Everyone who was in Ep. 4-6 have relatives that played big roles in Ep's 1-3.

Ok, I realize this is threadcrap, but it's my damn thread!
Old 04-20-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
This is like starting a poll with the two options:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which would you rather have?
A.) A blow job
B.) A kick in the family jewels
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be alone on this, but I'm gonna have to go with option A...
Old 04-20-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

However, it depends, who's giving the blow job? If it's Toad, ferget it - I'll take "B"
Old 04-20-04, 05:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
how about who cares which version?? Star Wars Trilogy is Star Wars Trilogy and it is a masterpiece to end all masterpieces!! If we get better versions that look crisp and clean and have a split-second of extra color or a single added image so be it. It is Star Wars!!! and that is all that needs to be said. Stop being those so-called Star Wars geeks that people make fun of ("not that there is anything wrong with that")and enjoy! These debates are so damn tired! be happy that we are getting them at all in whatever incarnation and enjoy in all its glory for the rest of our lives. It is Star Wars!!!!!!!!

We Are Not Worthy

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-20-04 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The SEs have a better video and audio quality.

I don't care about some little two-second alteration in the Cantina.
Old 04-20-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by neiname
You.. you really and truly believe this.. don't you?
Old 04-20-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Prefer Theatrical, but if all we get are the SE's, so be it, I'll still buy.
Old 04-20-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where's the option, i don't care which version i get.
Old 04-20-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would take the Theatrical Version over the SE anyday. But, I will probably end up buying the SEs, just because I love the movies so much.
Old 04-20-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by modfather
However, it depends, who's giving the blow job? If it's Toad, ferget it - I'll take "B"
Miraculously, this works for both of us...
Old 04-20-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Star Wars Trilogy is Star Wars Trilogy and it is a masterpiece to end all masterpieces!!
You clearly have never seen the S.E.'s

I like the original trilogy how it was Originally. but I have the LD's so I don't give a crap which I get on dvd.
Old 04-20-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figured that would be the case - penis-less or not! Thank goodness - now we're both off the hook!
Old 04-20-04, 05:51 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're both good in their own ways. I'm glad he's releasing the SE's, but it's a shame the the originals will not be available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.