Search

Post pics of your DVD collection and HT, Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been lurking here for awhile, finally decided to create an account,

Here's my little dvd collection:
And a higher res pic here.

Was once alot more, I've sold off around 100 or so dvds, including all 3 original Bond sets, the Die Hard set, the original Alien set, Planet of the Apes set, official EVA set, and other misc dvds, Have been in fund raising mode, decided they could go. Some of what I have now will go to, some are just stuff I've picked up cheap at pawns, will watch a few times then maybe trade or throw up on ebay..

My TV and surroundings,

It's a 36" Sony WEGA, I have a Sony surround sound/5-disc dvd set too, and Pioneer LaserDisc player hooked up, plus various gaming systems. Currently not enough space in my room for it all, so it's not all spaced out like I'd like it.

And for the people cracking on VHS above, LOL I have my small Laser collection ;0

With high res pic here. Not much to say really, I just found a really nice high end Laser player NIB for cheap, decided I wanted to start collecting, I've got around 80 or so titles now, I had the Indy trilogy in widescreen before it was released to dvd recently, I have the Star Wars trilogy which is still not out officially on dvd, lots of other classics which are just now seeing dvd releases, Schindlers List, Coen bros movies, etc. Some Criterion Lasers that either oop on dvd or haven't been re-released to dvd under that Criterion seal. It's actually better than vhs, but vhs was still the more popular, funny to see people cracking on vhs in peoples rooms, still movies coming out in that format. LD has gone the way of the dinosaur,
Old 03-29-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
prymal...

Thanks for the new storage idea! I'm going to go to IKEA this Sunday in Houston (2 1/2 hours away) and get two metallic Billys (or one of the wood veneer ones if my wife chimes in), and a bunch of glass shelves! I was gonna go an entirely different route, but this will work. BTW, the website says these cases are 11" deep, but it looks more like 6 or 7 inches.
Old 03-29-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're considering the Billy bookshelves from Ikea, don't even consider having them shipped. When I priced this setup a few months ago, shipping on the items was equal to the price of the setup.

I sure wish there was an Ikea in Portland
Old 03-29-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

atarian: nice little collection! Like the low shelves, too, clean and unassuming.

I am a but surprised, though, that you got the one disc of Dogma. The 2D SE is available for only about 5-8 bucks more. Something to consider, as it is really jam-packed with extras.
Old 03-29-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tsar...

When I lived in Rochester NY, I wanted an entertainment system from them, and it would've cost as much as the unit ($200)! I rented a station wagon ($40) and drove for three hours to Burlington Ontario (near Toronto) and bought it there! I had to pay $7 in duty coming back over the border but I saved $153!!
Old 03-29-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
If you're considering the Billy bookshelves from Ikea, don't even consider having them shipped. When I priced this setup a few months ago, shipping on the items was equal to the price of the setup.

I sure wish there was an Ikea in Portland
Did you ask for the CA shipping number? The only reason I ask is because when I was seeing about ordering another item from Ikea via the 800 number they wanted 3 times what the item was worth to ship from NJ. I sent an e-mail saying how asinine that was and was replied with a number to their CA shipping point.

For the Billy bookcases, I might be taking a drive to Seattle. Im with you about not having an Ikea in PDX.
Old 03-29-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I live with in a half hour of 2 differant Ikeas, I always took them for granted being so close. I love my Vaneer Billy's, you all will love them as well.. You might want to consider the glass shelves also, a great alternative (and if you have kids, the glass doors or solid half doors are great... Good luck to those going to get them
Old 03-29-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Atarian, I have the exact same shelves for my DVDs that you have for your components, except I have the chrome versions. I built a smaller shelf on each level so that each "level" has two "shelves" for DVDs. I must get around to putting up some pics...
Old 03-29-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by prymal
Ikea shelves
neat-o
Old 03-29-04, 02:33 PM

Here are my pics.

My Setup

Yamaha RX-V740 (Receiver)
Definitive Technology ProCinema 60's (Speakers)
Panasonic DVD-CP72 (DVD Player)
Denon LA-2300 (LD Player)
Sony SVR-2000 (Tivo expanded to 80 hours)
Sony VCR (I basically never use it)
Sony 27 inch TV
PS2
Xbox
Gamecube

I plan on upgrading my TV next but that won't be until the end of this year. The DVD rack was one that my Dad and I made.
Old 03-29-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I want to show my setup, and have a digital camera but am not sure where to host my pictures. Want something free of course, any help would be great.
Old 03-29-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PJsig08
I want to show my setup, and have a digital camera but am not sure where to host my pictures. Want something free of course, any help would be great.
I use www.freepichosting.com
Old 03-29-04, 08:04 PM

Here's my website for more information. Forgive its crude design. I'd love any comments.

http://home.nc.rr.com/dougshartzer/ht.htm

Old 03-30-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing crude about the design, looks pretty solid to me.
Old 03-30-04, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by BigDave
Here's my setup:

Each side can hold about 150 DVDs. My wife likes the design because it hides all the DVDs and they don't get as dusty.
That's a great looking EU. How wide is it? I'm trying to find something that'll fit in my available space. What size TV is that?

Also, how long have you had the little guy. Is hard to keep from getting wet and not eating after midnight?
Old 03-30-04, 06:20 PM

Hey what do you guys think of this av rack? Im looking for a new one and i recently saw this in my audio advisor magazine.

In the works now for getting my Toshiba 50H82 replaced by best buy for a 51H83, thats why there is no tv down in the recently finished basement. Tv is up in my room and i really dont want to move it down to the basement. You guys think that rack would go good with the equipment i have? Few new pics of the new HT room.

Old 03-30-04, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
*RG3* . . . I just wanted to let you know that you've inspired me to get some of those Benno shelves. They look really nice in your setup and (after some redecorating) I have some open wall space and a bunch of unshelved DVD's. Every time I look at the wall, I picture three Benno's with boxed sets adorning them.

Thanks for the inspiration! x 2

(P.S. - I'm going with the Beech too . . . great color! )
Cool! I'm glad that my shelving system inspired you to do the same. I love them and hope to one day add a third one to the wall since there is room for it. The only draw back is that they're pretty heavy and I've had to drill extra holes and use more anchors (toggles) to secure them to the wall. I'm sure if you find a beam to drill them into, you'll be fine.

Good luck and enjoy! Post pics when you get everything set up!
Old 03-30-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hubcap
Hey what do you guys think of this av rack? Im looking for a new one and i recently saw this in my audio advisor magazine.

It sits a little low the ground for my taste, I like the taller one with more air space inbetween. Help the components stay cool. Its nice looking, just kinda short for my taste. Nice set up, get you a big screen and your good to go

EDIT: I cant Spell

Last edited by REL77; 03-31-04 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-30-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm sorry, but "for my test?" what test? The SAT?
Old 03-30-04, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by dougshartzer
Here's my website for more information. Forgive its crude design. I'd love any comments.

http://home.nc.rr.com/dougshartzer/ht.htm

I'm guessing you had a hell of a time centering the picture on the screen with your DIY mount for the HS20?
Old 03-30-04, 10:03 PM

Hey Hubcap. Where can I get that audio rack. I've been looking for something with a low profile and looks sweet. Thanks.
Old 03-31-04, 05:06 AM

Right Here

Its not cheap but its nice. The racks are made out of glass and it really looks sturdy. Wish i could find some coupons to knock down the price some. There is also the same one with 5 racks. That might be a better buy.
Old 03-31-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brizz
i'm sorry, but "for my test?" what test? The SAT?
Yeah, I Cant spell, i meant Taste, i fixed my post... Thanks for pointing it out
Old 03-31-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Hubcap
Right Here

Its not cheap but its nice. The racks are made out of glass and it really looks sturdy. Wish i could find some coupons to knock down the price some. There is also the same one with 5 racks. That might be a better buy.
That is one cool looking rack. May need to change my setup a bit.
Old 03-31-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update - I called the IKEA in Houston, and they have the bookcases, but not the glass shelves. The woman there told me they're backordered until they move into their new store, so I'll order them on-line. Just concerned about ordering 12 glass shelves - tempered or not, that's a lot to ship intact! They also have the doors (6 of them) so I may have to snatch them up as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.