Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Did you get lucky and find a copy (or copies)?
Yes
55.33%
No (not yet)
44.67%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine at a local Wherehouse Records here in So. Cal with their 3 for 1 trade. Never seen the film, but got it because of the recall. Checked two Costco's, but couldn't find it.
Old 02-04-04, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
I completely agree. But who is the bigger idiot, the person selling it for 125.00 or the person BUYING IT for 125.00?
Do what I did...I paid $55 for it on ebay, as soon as I get it I'll make a DVD copy of it. I'll relist it on Ebay for $55 immediately. Who's the idiot?
Old 02-04-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just found a copy at my local Blockbuster. They only had 1 copy, so I snagged it. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this movie, and now I finally have it. I'm just hoping for a Mars Attacks SE from Warners now.
Old 02-04-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Cocopugg
Do what I did...I paid $55 for it on ebay, as soon as I get it I'll make a DVD copy of it. I'll relist it on Ebay for $55 immediately. Who's the idiot?
uhm, that'd be you there Coco the bootlegger.
Old 02-04-04, 08:55 PM

Ebay buyers are idiots. There are many BIYs and fixed price ones for $50 - 60. And these fools bid up the regular auctions up much higher. Saw some for $80 tonight.
Old 02-04-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the person who pays $75 for it on Ebay doesnt deserve it as much as someone who would just buy it from the store?
Old 02-04-04, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by brizz

I don't think Coco is an idiot. He's just making use of his backup copy instead of the original, which he could buy again later, at a cheaper price, when its re-released.
Old 02-04-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by cupcake jesus
me too, Grizz...

ebay's been way too pricey for me, too...

Speedy...if you could help a brother out, I'd like to buy a copy from you, or trade you for one...
Cupcake Jesus, see private e-mail I sent you. Your request has merit but let's wait and see. Sounds like you really love this movie as do I. I can't wait to compare this version with my Region 2. Either way by being polite, you've got a shot.
Old 02-04-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by etrnlevol
What would I do if I actually got two copies? Truthfully, I would probably offer it up to someone on here for the price I got it plus shipping. Why? Simple, people on this board have helped lead me to discounts, shared information about release dates, and shared the love with Amazon. I'll admit, I can use the extra cash since I'm a broke college student, but maybe I'm just strange. I would rather give it to someone who is going to enjoy it for the movie than try to sell it again for a higher price.
I like your logic here etrnlevol. I too am broke and am trying to score some extra cash via ebay route. But I've kept some back just for some folks around here.

True I have a friend who tipped me off to these and boy was I surprised to see the 10 there when I walked in. But as my friend has helped me, I'm willing to help someone else out here at the forum.

But in all honesty, I'm quite dismayed by some of the harsh comments being slung around here by forum members. Even this thread has been hijacked by people who are pissed at those who've gone the ebay route (no matter what their circumstances or motivations may be.... mine included), people who are pissed at those buying at ebay prices, and those people who are pissed at those lucky enough by location or store ignorance to find a copy. Aren't we all here to try and help one another?

Christ, there's mass discontent here just answering this poll's topic.

I mean for those of us who love the movie and have to have it:

(A) Buy the Region 2 or (region free DVD players are quite cheap)

(B) Go via ebay and stop complaining

(C) Wait for eventual Region 1 release and curse Disney in the interim.

Me, I opted for Choice A quite some time ago and am still very happy with that decision.
Old 02-04-04, 10:32 PM
AOD

Guys,

Check your local Sam Goody. Went to the local one tonight and there it was, right in front of the entrance with a big "SALE-$26.99" on it. I don't think they had a clue about the recall. Sam Goody is the music extention of the group that Suncoast belongs to (although they do sell movies also) and don't think the message was sent beyond Suncoast.
Old 02-04-04, 10:48 PM

Found no copy up here in Canada.
ALL my online orders for it were cancelled as well.
Old 02-04-04, 10:55 PM

I loved the movie and had to have it. I paid $50 on ebay, and then on the release date (yesterday) found 2 copies at a local Borders. I suppose I could've milked each of them for every last red cent, but I put them onto ebay for the low-end of the going rate - $50 - which is what I paid for mine originally. I don't think I was being greedy - I just wanted my money back for what I had spent on it originally and I happened to hit some luck. So what? I just as easily could've said the heck with trying to find any copies at the stores around here - or never found one that had any. But I hit some luck & I guess I could've let both copies ride for the highest amount possible - or kept them 3 months down the line in the hopes that I would be able to get $100 or more.

I guess I am old enough to remember what laserdiscs use to cost (esp Criterion). I also remember what VHS would typically cost on a new release.

I also have waited more than 2 years for Ed Wood to come out on dvd. I wasn't about to argue or fret about the free trade market on ebay or elsewhere. $50 was not an obscene amount of money to pay for a movie as good as Ed Wood. I would never pay anything near $50 for most of the POS movies that are churned out on a regular basis.

I just wanted the wait and hassle to be overwith.

Noone is going to pay more for Ed Wood than what it is worth to them.
Old 02-04-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
But who is the bigger idiot, the person selling it for 125.00 or the person BUYING IT for 125.00?...Ok, are you then sending a portion of your profits to Beuna Vista for profiting on the product?...so while you are laughing it up that you got six times the original value of the DVD, think of all the people you cheated and took advantage of for your own personal gain. I think Beuna Vista should handle these auctions on Ebay the same they would a bootleg auction and have them all shut down, but that's just me.
Wow. This is completely naive thinking. Maybe DC Comics should pursue someone who sold an issue of Action Comics #1 for $100,000 because the cover price is 10 cents and DC missed out on the other $99,999.90. The market dictates what someone pays; if someone wants to pay $204 for a DVD of Ed Wood, that's okay, Buena Vista got their cut of the $20 or $30 that the seller paid for it. Who loses?
Old 02-04-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. Tried everywhere here in Port Charlotte up until Tuesday. Tuesday morning I had to go to Orlando and while their I hit a bunch of stores. No luck there either.
Old 02-05-04, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by brizz
Nah, it's legal to make a backup copy when you actually buy the movie which I did. No one says you can't sell the original later
Old 02-05-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by eddiekirk
Ebay buyers are idiots. There are many BIYs and fixed price ones for $50 - 60. And these fools bid up the regular auctions up much higher. Saw some for $80 tonight.
Interestingly enough, I've been monitoring the trend on ebay auction bids for the Ed Wood DVD and as of this moment (about 11:30 PM CST on Wednesday), it seems that most of the auctions not ending on BIN aren't even topping $50.00 any more. Interestingly though, the majority of BIN prices for newly listed auctions seem to be getting higher than they were on Tuesday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the lessening demand drive the auctions down into the $30 range within a week or so as the initial feeding frenzy dies out. I think most people who weren't such enormous fanatics about the film that they just had to have the recalled disk will wait it out for the official release that will inevitably come in another couple of months, hence driving the ebay prices down even further.
Old 02-05-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Whatta neat trick Coco! I might do the same.
Old 02-05-04, 12:52 AM
Banned

Nah, it's legal to make a backup copy when you actually buy the movie which I did. No one says you can't sell the original later
Yeah, but you have to surrender your backup when you get rid of the original.
Old 02-05-04, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by GuruAskew
Yeah, but you have to surrender your backup when you get rid of the original.
In that case...oops I lost the original
Old 02-05-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Cocopugg
The courts would disagree. Once you sell the original, technically you don't have a backup copy, you just have a copy.
Old 02-05-04, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by D-Ball
The courts would disagree. Once you sell the original, technically you don't have a backup copy, you just have a copy.
Like I said, I lost the original...but I still have the original receipt
Old 02-05-04, 01:47 AM

I managed to get two copies. One for me and one for a friend.
Old 02-05-04, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
[snip][In fact, I think Buena Vista would get into severe legal troubles if they accepted money, considering they shouldn't have started selling them in the first place without first securing legal rights to do so.] [/B]
Just as theory, consider the following: When BV shipped the DVDs to the stores, they remained their property until such time as the stores sold them in compliance with their contract. Therefore, any copies which were sold were and are still BV's property, and the current possessors are in fact in receipt of stolen merchandise. I'm not saying that this is the case, but it occurs to me that this argument could be used by BV if they wanted to shut down eBay's auctions if they wanted to play rough.
Of course, I think that the entire recall was perpetrated by BV or its employees/mgt to create just such a run, and wouldn't be surprised to find out that they had an interest in some of the eBay and half.com merchants selling them. Once again, I'm not saying they did, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
Anyway, I have my R4 NTSC copy from Korea, thanks to diabolikdvd.com (they're out), and am satisfied, even if it doesn't have the deleted scenes.
Best, Scott
Old 02-05-04, 03:53 AM

I might break down and pickup the region 2 disc. All you non-all-region player people, you can look at this way: for the cost of soemone's ebay auction of ed wood you can pick up an all-region player.
I usually reserve my other region disc purchases for films that look like there is no chance of a region1 release or if the the other region disc has a better picture, extras, sound, etc...
Old 02-05-04, 04:25 AM

I did not check is this was covered already dvdbeaver.com has a comparison of r1 and r2.
http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare2/edwood.htm

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.