Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

View Poll Results: Did you get lucky and find a copy (or copies)?
Yes
55.33%
No (not yet)
44.67%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Ed Wood - Did you find a copy?

Old 02-05-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you not able to find it, and have region free players, you might as well get the region two version. You won't get the deleted scenes, but everything else is exactly the same. I mean, everything else is EXACTLY THE SAME! Seeing the region two release has been around for two or three years, I see no reason for the delay here in the US. It's not like they were prepping new bonus features or even new menus or new transfers or new ANYTHING. I think they should at least prepare some new bonus features for the US release, make it a nice two disc set with new menu art and features to make up this horrible delay.

I already own the region two copy anyway, but I would love to see a new edition released here with new features. I would love to double dip on the movie.

I don't think Blockbuster got the note on the recall. They are usually the first ones to ship things back, like they did with Swamp Thing. I found a copy there and bought it for myself. I work part time there and I figured if it becomes an issue I can keep mine sealed and wait to see if they say anything, but they didn't say anything when I bought it.
Old 02-05-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07

I don't think Blockbuster got the note on the recall. They are usually the first ones to ship things back, like they did with Swamp Thing. I found a copy there and bought it for myself. I work part time there and I figured if it becomes an issue I can keep mine sealed and wait to see if they say anything, but they didn't say anything when I bought it.
Not all Blockbusters got the recall. After calling several blockbusters in my area (Chicago), some had no clue about the recall and others told me they knew about the recall and shipped their only copy back.
Old 02-05-04, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing to consider is: How long would a dvd player that costs less than $50 last before giving up the ghost?

I know someone who bought a $30 player and had it crap out literally 2 days after the "warranty" ended.

I see no value in buying a cheap region 2 player which would cost $30 or less, then getting a region 2 dvd that would cost $15-20, while also losing out on the deleted scenes that the R1 version has.

They are already going for less than $50 on ebay.
Old 02-05-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have access to Bj's Wholesale Club, check them out. They had plenty at the Fairfield, Connecticut location and I have read in the bargains forum that they were also available in New Jersey.
Old 02-05-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Sweet Baby James
If you have access to Bj's Wholesale Club, check them out. They had plenty at the Fairfield, Connecticut location and I have read in the bargains forum that they were also available in New Jersey.
Emphasis on the word had...
Old 02-05-04, 02:29 PM

For all Bergen County, NJ people: no luck at both Paramus Best Buys, Paramus Circuit City, Borders, Sam Goody and Suncoast in the Garden State Plaza and Blockbuster in Lodi. I give up
Old 02-05-04, 02:55 PM

I just picked up a copy at one of the video stores in the Emerald Square Mall in North Attleboro, Mass. The clerk mentioned the recall but said since they hadn't received an official request, they were going to sell what they had. There were several copies still on the shelf for $29.99.
Old 02-05-04, 03:15 PM

For anyone in the Cleveland Ohio & surrounding areas still looking, the Blockbuster Video on Turney Road in Garfield Heights has two copies. Price is listed as $29.99 on them.
Old 02-05-04, 03:57 PM

Finally I found a copy, just about to give up. FYE, guy behind the counter I hear him under his breath say "oh sh%# we are not supposed to sell these" then he told girl he was working with, quick go grab the rest on the self, although I had the only one there. Very pleased...
Old 02-05-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've lost count of how many BBs, BBVs, CCs, Costco's, Borders, etc. that I've checked the past three days. Either there are some VERY resourceful people out there, or every copy was shipped back. A couple of Best Buy stores had a print-out in the comedy section indicating the title was recalled and was not available for sale. Finally had to give in and go via Ebay to get a copy. Not happy about it, but in case they decide to modify the extras on a future version, I'd rather have this one.
Old 02-05-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found two today at FYE--picked up both--one for me, and one for someone here for my cost. I'm presently working a deal out with another member, though. I'm really happy to have this DVD--it's one of my favorite movies, and I'm really pleased with the disc. It took me three days, a bunch of gas, and a lot of frustration, but it paid off. Happy hunting!
Old 02-05-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got one an hour ago at a BBV. Had to drive down into a "more urban" part of Baltimore. The new Beyonce DVD was sold out, but there was Ed Wood! (that's my helpful hint for others)
Old 02-05-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chris Harrison
For all Bergen County, NJ people: no luck at both Paramus Best Buys, Paramus Circuit City, Borders, Sam Goody and Suncoast in the Garden State Plaza and Blockbuster in Lodi. I give up
Cross out most of central Jersey as well. B/w the last 2 days after work, I've been to every suncoast, Target, Borders, Barnes & Noble, CD World & Blockbuster anywhere near central Jersey to South Jersey with no luck.
Old 02-05-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BJ's in Ocean Township NJ still has at least 10 copies. I picked up 5 more today, I couldn't resist, sorry. But there are still 10 copies there at 18.99. If anyone wants to meet up at the local mall to buy a copy from me for $25 let me know.
Old 02-05-04, 08:37 PM

kaze0, is there any way you can sell it for me for sale price + shipping? thanks
Old 02-05-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KazrO, If you decide to ship them for $25 and shipping let me know! Thanks
Old 02-05-04, 09:46 PM

kaze0: if ur interested in selling one for 25 + shipping, let me know! thanks!

Kat
Old 02-05-04, 09:53 PM
Banned

On Monday night I talked to a friend that works at Blockbuster, he called in to work and they said there was one copy set to go out for sale tomorrow and they'd hold it for him.

Then on Tuesday I went to Border's when they opened and bought their 2 copies. Unlike some scumbags that scalped copies, I got ahold of 2 friends and told them that I had copies for each of them.
Old 02-05-04, 10:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
There are 9 BBV in my area. I called 8 of them and they had no clue what movie Ed Wood was and didn't have it in stock. I almost didn't call the 9th store since it's 30 minutes away, buT I did. Score!! They had one copy and I had the girl hold it for me, I just got back with it. So there are copies out there, it just takes some work to run one down.
Old 02-05-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to the generosity of fellow dvdtalker (GCS) i was able to purchase a copy off him for $26 shipped. It's nice to see some people help others out like that. I can't wait for it to arrive!
Old 02-05-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JestersTear
On Monday night I talked to a friend that works at Blockbuster, he called in to work and they said there was one copy set to go out for sale tomorrow and they'd hold it for him.

Then on Tuesday I went to Border's when they opened and bought their 2 copies. Unlike some scumbags that scalped copies, I got ahold of 2 friends and told them that I had copies for each of them.
What about scumbags who sold a few copies on ebay but also picked up extras for friends (and a couple strangers) at face value? Do we get to hang out in purgatory for a while?
Old 02-05-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by Evolution
What about scumbags who sold a few copies on ebay but also picked up extras for friends (and a couple strangers) at face value? Do we get to hang out in purgatory for a while?
Well said Evolution. That's what I'm doing
Old 02-05-04, 11:48 PM
Banned

I can't believe people on here bought multiple copies. Its people like you why I missed it at 2 local Borders.
Old 02-06-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
But...it's okay since they're giving 'em to friends or posting 'em on here with wild demands. Oh, wait...they're also putting 'em on eBay too.

[actually, I think there were one or two kind souls on here giving back to the community...]

Yet, the morality of this could [and probably will] be discussed ad nauseum here..

I'm guessing it's sorta like Willy Wonka. You either get the golden ticket...or you're stuck with tooth rottening chocolate..
Old 02-06-04, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by kaze0
BJ's in Ocean Township NJ still has at least 10 copies. I picked up 5 more today, I couldn't resist, sorry. But there are still 10 copies there at 18.99. If anyone wants to meet up at the local mall to buy a copy from me for $25 let me know.
Like the others said if you're interested in doing $25 + shipping I'd be interested too. Another member has offered to try to snag me one however with all the disasters over this disc I'd like to be extra sure. I know I know atleast one other Wood fan in my area(actually we kind of dislike eachother) however I know he'd buy one off me if I had a dup (and yes I would sell the possible dup at the price I paid )

Gee...VHS, VHS copied from LD to watch in OAR at friends place (I actually bought another P&S VHS copy if it too dub it over), LD, R2 DVD - if two R1SE's show up I'll have to take a picture of them together before I get intouch with the guy at the station.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.