Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Monster Legacy Gift Set!

Monster Legacy Gift Set!

Old 01-22-04, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm drooling over the collectors edition after seeing that photo.

I have all of these movies already, slowly completed my collection this year....guess I'll have to double dip nonetheless...besides, I only have a VHS version of House of Dracula...lol...so I have to go for the whole set now..

I hope this leads to eventual releases of more 30s and 40s Universal Horror, not just the "Monster" movies. There are some hidden gems out there, The Raven, Island of Lost Souls, etc., hopefully we can get some love on those as well.
Old 02-09-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any more news on this? Has anyone seen an official statement by Universal that confirms the extras?
Old 02-09-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LakerFan1973
I'm drooling over the collectors edition after seeing that photo.

I have all of these movies already, slowly completed my collection this year....guess I'll have to double dip nonetheless...besides, I only have a VHS version of House of Dracula...lol...so I have to go for the whole set now..

I hope this leads to eventual releases of more 30s and 40s Universal Horror, not just the "Monster" movies. There are some hidden gems out there, The Raven, Island of Lost Souls, etc., hopefully we can get some love on those as well.
This is about where I'm at, except that I didn't buy the Dracula or Wolf Man sets last time around, so in addition to House of Dracula, I'll be buying DVD versions of Son of Drac, Werewolf of London, and a few others for the first time. The double feature discs all came out so fast and were off the market so fast, I didn't have a chance to grab them all, but this looks like a more reasonably priced alternative. Of course, I'll be buying Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. for the third time,due to a mis-priced box set at Amazon that I couldn't pass up a few years back. As for Wannabe's request for more information, I suspect that I won't throw my discs up on eBay until I read a detailed review of the set that spells out specifically what's included.

Disappointing that I didn't buy the Mummy double features, and it doesn't look like those are coming out as part of this box set. I suppose Van Helsing doesn't include the Mumy, so I'm SOL.

As for The Raven, my dream release would include:

The Black Cat (1934)

The Raven(1935)

The Invisible Ray(1936)

Son of Frankenstein(1939)

Black Friday(1940)

The Body Snatcher(1945)

...and, of course, it would be the Karloff/Lugosi Box Set. I doubt that all of these titles are owned by the same studio at this point, but I'm sure someone on this board could fill me in...
Old 02-09-04, 01:46 PM
Banned

If I'm not mistaken, I heard another set will be coming out soon.
Old 02-10-04, 04:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jayson1017
If I'm not mistaken, I heard another set will be coming out soon.
Of what?
Old 02-29-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I put my 8 current Classic Monster discs covered in this set up on Ebay. It looks like all the extras from them will be on there, plus three new featurettes and the House of Dracula Movie. I'm just hoping this is true and nothing is missing.
Old 02-29-04, 01:24 PM

Darkside, with Universal's track record with DVDs, I'd say pull those babies off Ebay ASAP - you may regret it later. These are the same folks that almost gave us Duel, messed up Monty Python's Meaning of Life and Back To The Future.....
Old 03-01-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't put any current DVDs on eBay until you actually have the set in your hands and can (a) confirm it exists and (b) confirm that the extras did, indeed, make it over to the new set.
Old 03-01-04, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Darryl
Darkside, with Universal's track record with DVDs, I'd say pull those babies off Ebay ASAP - you may regret it later. These are the same folks that almost gave us Duel, messed up Monty Python's Meaning of Life and Back To The Future.....
Universal has so far done a great job with their Franchise Collection titles that were inagurated this year.
Old 03-01-04, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by joliom
...and (c) play properly; (d) are not victims of political-correctness "revisions"; (e) are framed properly; (f) do not have a "Def Jam Presents: Rapper's Reflections" doc; (g) are not overloaded with 45 mins. of forced trailers...
Hyperbole doesn't help your credibility.
Old 03-01-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Problem is the longer I wait the less I can get for my current DVDs. I was hoping to make enough to buy the Legacy set and maybe have enough left over for another box set.

If the worst case happens and they leave off a featurette I will just have to break down and buy the DVD that is missing stuff back. The information so far looks like it has everything currently available plus House of Dracula and three new featurettes. I'll just trust Universal on this one. (famous last words)
Old 03-01-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Wolf Man documentary will likely NOT be included on the re-release, from the word coming from insiders. This isn't confirmed, but if you would miss it you may want to hold on to your current DVDs until you know for sure.
Old 03-01-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now I have to double-dip just for House of Dracula. Shame on Universal.
Old 03-01-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
The Wolf Man documentary will likely NOT be included on the re-release, from the word coming from insiders. This isn't confirmed, but if you would miss it you may want to hold on to your current DVDs until you know for sure.
I really don't want to keep my current copies when I buy the new ones, but I don't want to miss any of the old features. I'll give it some thought.
Old 03-02-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Darkside -

The specs for Wolf Man now appear on Universal's website:

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...boxSetId=34588

Oddly enough, I don't see anything but a blank page yet for Dracula and Frankenstein. (And I need to know if this version of Dracula keeps the new Phillip Glass score from the last DVD!)
Old 03-02-04, 08:43 PM

Wow !!! This just showed up on my reccomendations list and I must have completely missed this post.

This is outstanding !! I am soooo stoked.

I have been waiting and waiting for this. The only original DVD I have from the Classic Monster Collection is "The Invisible Man". I just couldn't be without it... Hopefully they'll do a Mummy, Invisible Man, Creature set soon (I know it's been said before in this post, I'm just reinforcing the thought with my hope as well).

I can't wait til this comes out. Hell, I'm even getting the urge to go to Universal Studios now... haha

Excellent information / post !!

Wooooot !!
Old 03-02-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rennervision
Darkside -

The specs for Wolf Man now appear on Universal's website:

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...boxSetId=34588

Oddly enough, I don't see anything but a blank page yet for Dracula and Frankenstein. (And I need to know if this version of Dracula keeps the new Phillip Glass score from the last DVD!)
All three have their information up now. Everything seems to be on all three sets including the Phillip Glass Score on Dracula. The only minor thing missing is the Wolf Man poster montage and still montage. Its only a few minutes long and I can't see them leaving it off. Not a major thing though.

Thanks for posting the info.

Last edited by darkside; 03-02-04 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 03:22 AM
Banned

The updated information confirms that these sets contain all the extras from the original releases, so, I lucked out by missing the originals. I could not be happier!
Old 03-03-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
The updated information confirms that these sets contain all the extras from the original releases, so, I lucked out by missing the originals. I could not be happier!
Amen, brother!
Old 03-03-04, 09:28 AM

I can't wait until they announce that these are sets of two double-sided discs so that everyone here can suddenly complain and say that they refuse to buy them, etc.
Old 03-03-04, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kingtopher
I can't wait until they announce that these are sets of two double-sided discs so that everyone here can suddenly complain and say that they refuse to buy them, etc.
I would laugh, but I am sure some people feel that way about the sets as they stand now.
Old 03-03-04, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by EPKJ
I would laugh, but I am sure some people feel that way about the sets as they stand now.
I'm personally hoping that these are going to be double-sided discs, because otherwise that is a LOT of information to squeeze onto two discs, and the picture and audio are going to suffer for it. But when/if it is shown to be the case I'm sure there will be a huge uproar from the same people who were celebrating this set earlier for its low price and inclusive features.
Old 03-03-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm personally hoping that these are going to be double-sided discs, because otherwise that is a LOT of information to squeeze onto two discs, and the picture and audio are going to suffer for it.
Yikes. I never thought of that. The second Dracula disc looks pretty jam-packed (containing four features). Now you've got me nervous.
Old 03-03-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm personally hoping that these are going to be double-sided discs, because otherwise that is a LOT of information to squeeze onto two discs, and the picture and audio are going to suffer for it. But when/if it is shown to be the case I'm sure there will be a huge uproar from the same people who were celebrating this set earlier for its low price and inclusive features.
I have the original monster releases, but this has come to my mind as well. With the Abbott & Costello set, I noticed bad compression artifacts in the white portions of the screen in Hold that Ghost. I'd rather pay more and have one film on one side, than have quality suffer. It seems that the heightened quality which DVD can provide is now being rendered redundant.
Old 03-03-04, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I'm glad I have my originals. These two-sided discs will probably not be top quality. But I'm definitely picking this set up for the extra bonus features by Stephen Sommers, "House of Dracula" and the monster busts (those alone being worth the price of the set).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.