Community
Search

Monster Legacy Gift Set!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MISS PEACH
It's a no go for me. I want the original 1943 Claude Rains PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and it looks like I'll just have to wait. And wait.
Or just get one of them on eBay. PHANTOM never really went up in value, even though it is OOP. You can get this one really cheap -- usually for less than it retailed for originally. They go for under $20 all the time...
Old 01-19-04, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the individual Discs of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, ..is there any difference between these new versions and the ones many of us own?
Old 01-19-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally posted by schbee
I have the individual Discs of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, ..is there any difference between these new versions and the ones many of us own?

The new ones may be movie only editions.
There seems to be some debate if the extras on the individual discs will be on new versions. If you have the single disks
there probably is no reason to double dip.
Old 01-19-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, color me surprised. According to DVDTimes, there WILL be extras!
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three Monster Legacy Collections for 27th April 2004. Arriving with a retail price of $26.98 each are the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man Legacy Collections, each offering several classic horror movies spread over two-discs.

Each set features the original classic films that inspired the forthcoming epic adventure film Van Helsing and are being released in the wake of said films theatrical release. On each collection you will find an exclusive look at how these classics inspired the director of Van Helsing along with completely remastered audio tracks for each film in DD2.0 Mono with additional bonus features also present...

Dracula: The Legacy Collection includes Dracula (1931), Dracula (Original Spanish Version), Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula and House of Dracula with the following bonus features:

• "The Road to Dracula" original documentary
• Feature film commentary from film historian David J.Skal
• Brilliant new score by famed composer Philip Glass, performed by the Kronos Quartet and more

Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection includes Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein with the following bonus features:

• An original documentary on the making of the Frankenstein films
• Additional commentary from film historian Rudy Behlmer
• "The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster" an original documentary by David J.Skal and more

The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection includes The Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and She-Wolf of London with the following bonus features:

• "The Wolf Man" making of documentary
• Feature film commentary from film historian Tom Weaver and more

And finally for the collector Universal will be releasing The Monster Legacy DVD Gift Set which includes all three Monster Legacy Collections and exclusive hand-painted busts from the award-winning Sideshow Collectibles creative team. Retail is $79.98...
I sure hope their info is correct!

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 01-19-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 11:26 AM

I'm just guessing here but I would imagine that these will be double-sided discs.
Old 01-19-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great news regarding the extras, thanks.
Old 01-19-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If these do have the extras I will probably sell my current copies and buy that gift set. I didn't see the extras for Bride listed though.
Old 01-19-04, 03:24 PM
Banned

Sounds like the same doc's on the current DVD's...Im sellin my Frankenstein...cant wait for this set!
Old 01-21-04, 10:08 AM

These set seem to have some new special features. "An original documentary on the making of the Frankenstein films"
AND "The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster" an original documentary by David J.Skal."
I know "The Frankenstein Files" was previously released, but what's the first documentary. Also The Wolf Man: The Legacy has "The Wolf Man" making of documentary. Is this the same one on the original DVD?
Old 01-21-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to DavisDVD, the extras have been confirmed by Universal:
Universal has finally confirmed that their Monster Legacy discs, due on April 27th, indeed will come with extras! Dracula: The Legacy Collection will include feature commentary from film historian David J. Skal (on the first film) and "The Road to Dracula" original documentary. Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection includes a commentary from film historian Rudy Behlmer, "The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster" original documentary by David J. Skal, another documentary on the making of the Frankenstein films and more. The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection will include commentary from film historian Tom Weaver, "The Wolf Man" making-of documentary and more. Retail is $26.98 per two-disc set.
Rob
Old 01-21-04, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RobCA
According to DavisDVD, the extras have been confirmed by Universal: Rob
Well, this makes me wish April would come next week. I can hardly wait. This is shaping up to be a great year from Universal. Their new marketing strategy for catalog titles is brilliant.
Old 01-21-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I inquired about this in another thread, but what the heck, I'll ask here as well:

My original Dracula DVD had a version with an updated score by Philip Glass. DVDTimes mentions this new one will still have it, but DavisDVD does not mention it. Purists probably wouldn't care about a new score, but I liked it. (I felt it helped improve certain scenes that were completely silent before.)

With the inclusion of Dracula's Daughter on disc 1, it could be replacing this version. Not sure whether to hold onto mine, or sell it. Anyone know which source is accurately reporting the extras for this new set?

Last edited by rennervision; 01-21-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rennervision
I inquired about this in another thread, but what the heck, I'll ask here as well:

My original Dracula DVD had a version with an updated score by Philip Glass. DVDTimes mentions this new one will still have it, but DavisDVD does not mention it. Purists probably wouldn't care about a new score, but I liked it. (I felt it helped improve certain scenes that were completely silent before.)

With the inclusion of Dracula's Daughter on disc 1, it could be replacing this version. Not sure whether to hold onto mine, or sell it. Anyone know which source is accurately reporting the extras for this new set?
It might be present as an alternate audio track.
Old 01-21-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by EPKJ
It might be present as an alternate audio track.
Thats how it was on the first DVD.
Old 01-21-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any confirmation that the Bride Extras will be on the set?
Old 01-21-04, 08:36 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
There are currently 2 share the love threads for this set over on that sub forum. So far no one has taken the plunged and shared.

Updated:

The love his started to flow. Received and then sent love.

Thanks

Last edited by Classic Films; 01-22-04 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-21-04, 08:41 PM

Great news! I'll wait for some more info on the discs before I decide if I'll sell the ones I have. For instance the Frankenstein disc I have contains "Boo!" a short film that I haven't seen mentioned on the new set yet.
Old 01-21-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm buying the set, but I don't want that gigantic box or the statuettes.

I wonder what someone would pay for the set without the DVDs?
Old 01-21-04, 08:58 PM

It's to bad this is just hype for 'Van Helsing', which means I doubt we see the sequels to The Invisible Man, one of my personal favorite Universal Classics.
Old 01-22-04, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by LivingINClip
It's to bad this is just hype for 'Van Helsing', which means I doubt we see the sequels to The Invisible Man, one of my personal favorite Universal Classics.
This is much more than hype for Van Helsing. Universal has embarked on a radical new marketing strategy for its catalog titles for 2004. They are packaging older films in sets at low prices.

01: The Best Of Abbott & Costello Volume 1
02: The Adventures Of Ma And Pa Kettle Volume 1
03: Frankenstein The Legacy Collection
04: Dracula The Legacy Collection
05: The Wolfman The Legacy Collection
06: Airport Terminal Pack

These are not just horror films. I expect many more will be announced throughout the year.
Old 01-22-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention that they are also packaging sequels together into low-priced "Franchise Collections" -- Smokey & The Bandit, American Graffiti, Conan, etc.

The Universal focus for '04 seems to be grouping films together into tight, low-priced sets. That definitely leaves hope for Creature, Mummy, and Invisible sets. Maybe by October, assuming this wave sells well.

Then again, we're dealing with the same studio that has yet to reissue highly-valued titles on DVD (Flash Gordon, This Island Earth, MST3K: The Movie). The same studio that released a 'best of' set of Hulk episodes. And the same studio that put out Law & Order: Season 1... and then stopped.

We'll see.
Old 01-22-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For instance the Frankenstein disc I have contains "Boo!" a short film that I haven't seen mentioned on the new set yet.
Casey -- sorry for the sidebar, but can I just ask, what is 'Boo!', anyway? I've seen it listed on various sites as a feature on the disc, but can't find out what it is, or whether it'd make that original disc worth buying were it not to be included on the new DVDs.
Old 01-22-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Boo!
Old 01-22-04, 11:09 AM

Thanks for taking the question RobCA and welcome ThatGuamGuy. I'm thinking this new set will have the same content as the old releases.
Old 01-22-04, 11:22 AM
dgc

A big pic:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.