Details: Kill Bill: Volume One

Community
Search

Details: Kill Bill: Volume One

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that will be the cover art. Bill's Face, Pei Mei, No Lucy Lui(the films 2nd most bankable star), and it basically looks too good.
Old 01-13-04, 05:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Details: Kill Bill: Volume One

Originally posted by Tom Woodward
Hey

We've just received official details on volume one of Kill Bill, which will indeed arrive on the 13th April. Retail is set at $29.99. Hopefully this isn't the final spec sheet, as only one special feature is listed right now! The artwork isn't available yet either. Here are the details we have so far though anyway:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
English DTS 5.1 Surround Track
French Language Track
Behind the Scenes Program with Quentin Tarantino
English, Spanish Subtitles
I wouldnt be suprised if this is in fact the final specs...since eventually were gonna get a big set with both movies...

And April 13th? Isnt that just a few days before Vol. 2 comes out? Thats messed up...
Old 01-13-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna do the same thing I did with Black Hawk Down, and that's wait for the eventual SE boxed set release of both films. I've never seen Vol 1, so I'll give it a rent when it comes out in April but I won't be buying a bare-bones release.
Old 01-13-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
So is everyone thinking the special edition will be both movies reedited into one three hour film? I'm not sure how interested I would be in such a version. I thought volume one ended perfectly, and was pretty exhausted at that point. I can't imagine that being the halfway point for one long-ass movie. After a certain amount of decapitations, I would begin to feel like I was in some kind of rehab theater from A Clockwork Orange.
Old 01-13-04, 10:23 AM
Banned

I'm waiting for the SE also.
Old 01-13-04, 10:28 AM

-and another one waiting for the whole enchilada before buying.
Old 01-13-04, 10:46 AM

I have to own this film so I'll be getting the barebones release. This is one time I'll be very happy to double dip for a more elaborate version down the road but for right now I just want a copy of the film.
Old 01-13-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmph, I'm feeling a bit conflicted here. I liked the movie, but didn't think it was great... Nor do I care about any extras, but I'd like to have the inevitable uncut/colorized version.

I'll probably just wait for the bigger set to come out, or possibly grab a R2 version depending on what those releases are like.
Old 01-13-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Re: Details: Kill Bill: Volume One

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
And April 13th? Isnt that just a few days before Vol. 2 comes out? Thats messed up...
That's the same way it was going to be when both were scheduled for Feb.
Old 01-13-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I'll pass and wait for the SE, I'll rent it (probably a few times) instead. Tired of double-dipping, even if this is a great movie I'll save my hard-earned $$$ for a disc they actually put some effort into.
Old 01-13-04, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by rennervision
So is everyone thinking the special edition will be both movies reedited into one three hour film? I'm not sure how interested I would be in such a version. I thought volume one ended perfectly, and was pretty exhausted at that point. I can't imagine that being the halfway point for one long-ass movie. After a certain amount of decapitations, I would begin to feel like I was in some kind of rehab theater from A Clockwork Orange.
I assume that the film will be spread over two disc's since part one is 111 minutes and part two should be the same. That's really pusing the picture quality plus I'm sure the DTS track will be on that set as well as a commentary so two disc's for the the film seem almost assured. I'd also be surprised if the disc break didn't end where part one did in the theater and part two pick up after where the credits for it were shown in the theatrical cut.

As for me I love the film and can't wait to own it. I'll be picking up the theatrical cut's as well as the set.
Old 01-13-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved this movie, but this disk may be a rental (before I see Volume 2), and then just wait to buy the box set.
Old 01-13-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I doubt that will be the cover art. Bill's Face, Pei Mei, No Lucy Lui(the films 2nd most bankable star), and it basically looks too good.
but then again, di$ney loves to put big cast shots with a particular object underneath the pic.
Old 01-13-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Miramax could easilly slip by their 'no unrated'/NC-17' policy by including the unrated as an extra feature via seamless branching.
Is this really their policy? There's so much speculation about how the region 1 special edition will be an uncut version. Man, I just wish I knew the specs for the special edition so I would know what to do on April 13th.
Old 01-13-04, 01:28 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Behind the Scenes Program with Quentin Tarantino
People are already complaining that this is the only extra, but for all we know this could be a two hour behind the scenes documentary.

I'm just saying, let's wait and see.

It's kinda silly that they're not putting the trailers on the disc, though.

As for an eventual boxed set, or even a re-edit, I'd love to see these two volumes of "pretty good" movie edited down to the two hour masterpiece if could have been. The editing on Vol. 1 was really really sloppy, very stretched to make feature-length.
Old 01-13-04, 02:08 PM

Ill be grabbing this, seeing as how I have no patience to wait for the SE (which I will also buy)
Old 01-13-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jough
It's kinda silly that they're not putting the trailers on the disc, though.
We don't know that.

Maybe before 4/13, one or two more features will be added.
Old 01-13-04, 06:41 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by ReduxGuy
We don't know that.

Maybe before 4/13, one or two more features will be added.
Page one of this thread would disagree with you:

Well, Mirimax have just told me that's it for the extra material. Just that one feature.
Old 01-13-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care about extras at all. Widescreen & DTS? I'm happier than a pig in shit!
Old 01-13-04, 08:48 PM

Anyone know anything about the Region 2 release of this? I'm sorta thankful I don't need to buy the first R1 release now I just want Blue Leaves in color!
Old 01-13-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's really pusing the picture quality plus I'm sure the DTS track will be on that set as well as a commentary so two disc's for the the film seem almost assured.
I would be really, really surprised if 'Kill Bill' became the first of his own films which Tarantino recorded a commentary for (and I doubt they'd splice one together the way they did with 'Dogs').

But, then again, I also didn't expect 'Kill Bill' to be half as good as it was, so I guess it's possible.

(And I liked that it went to black and white, I hope he keeps that regardless of rated/unrated status.)

Miramax could easilly slip by their 'no unrated'/NC-17' policy by including the unrated as an extra feature via seamless branching.
Is this really their policy?
Well, it's Disney's policy, but Disney makes them follow it too, yeah. That's why 'Scream' is unrated in some other countries but not America (it's only Disney's policy in America, I guess), despite the strong market for such a thing (at least, at the time).

I believe Miramax has been forced to drop at least one movie due to rating (possibly 'Priest'), and Weinstein released it under a seperate banner without the heavy Miramax push.
Old 01-13-04, 10:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I would be really, really surprised if 'Kill Bill' became the first of his own films which Tarantino recorded a commentary for (and I doubt they'd splice one together the way they did with 'Dogs').

But, then again, I also didn't expect 'Kill Bill' to be half as good as it was, so I guess it's possible.

(And I liked that it went to black and white, I hope he keeps that regardless of rated/unrated status.)

Well, it's Disney's policy, but Disney makes them follow it too, yeah. That's why 'Scream' is unrated in some other countries but not America (it's only Disney's policy in America, I guess), despite the strong market for such a thing (at least, at the time).

I believe Miramax has been forced to drop at least one movie due to rating (possibly 'Priest'), and Weinstein released it under a seperate banner without the heavy Miramax push.
[/QUOTE]

wow, you're right, the UK video version of "Priest" is seven longer than the US cut of the film, who knew?

The VHS version has a running time of 108 min and rated '15', yet there hasn't been a DVD release of the film in the UK.

Last edited by Giles; 01-13-04 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, miramax was a hold of the Larry Clarke movie "kids" but since it got an nc-17, harvey had it released under an indie studio. Also, miramax execs thought kill bill was too violent, and that qt had lost his mind.
Old 01-13-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think we all are in agreement that lots of people have dropped the ball all the way around on this one; the very fact that it was released as two movies at all, then the postponements of both the DVD release for Vol. 1 as well as the theater release for Vol.2..... my only problem is, I fell in absolute LOVE with Vol.1, so I'll be buying on release day, barebones or not....and will buy the set when it finally hits the stores (after who knows how many postponements)..........hey, I've traded movies in before when I no longer had a need for them because of a second better release hitting the shelves. I can do it for this one, for sure.
Old 01-13-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, for creating such a huge argument, but how did miramax, harvey and qt drop the ball for realeasing it in two. I don't think the average movie fan, could have taken another hour and a half, after the whole crazy 88 sequence and (spoiler for the ending of pt 1)
Spoiler:
the death of Lucy Lui"s character

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.