Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Why do you collect DVDs?

Why do you collect DVDs?

Old 09-11-03, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you collect DVDs?

Just wondering why people collect DVDs...will they really watch the movie enough times to justify buying it? Is it just like any other hobby? I saw one guy wiht over 2500 dvd...HOLY SNIKEYS!!!

I'm only up to 150 DVD's so far...but then I start thinking "will they be obsolete once HD-DVD comes out?"...and if they are compatible with the new HD players...I'm gonna want all the HD versions of my movies then....it's a never ending cycle of upgrading!!!!
Old 09-11-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well for me, it's because i just love movies. i am a musician and to only have one or limited movies would be like only having one piece of music.

as for the cost, with CH and the low average, i only have to watch a movie twice over the course of owning it to justify the cost. and i don't even have to go anywhere to get it or take it back.
Old 09-11-03, 03:53 PM

I find that it fulfills my need to have an obsessive-compulsive behavior disorder.
Old 09-11-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Watching a $12 movie once is a lot better than people buying $27 hardcover books that they read once.
Old 09-11-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I need to spend my money on something.
Old 09-11-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love watching movies and would rather spend my money on DVD's than drugs
Old 09-11-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It boosts my ego and self-esteem when I tell people I have "x" amount of DVD's and then watch their reaction.
Old 09-11-03, 04:22 PM
Defunct Account

I'm also one of those guys who spends $27 on a hardcover book that I will only read once. I think the book is a much better value, becuase it gives me hours and hours of entertainment, as where a DVD that I watch only once will give me less than 2.

Having said that, I have almost 2000 DVDs. (I have no idea how many books, but thousands.) I like movies and literature, and I have disposable income.

As for HD-DVDs, I laugh every time I see a thread about that. I think it's funny that people are worring about a something where the format hasn't been agreed upon yet, and HD-TV isn't widely in use. People get excited that they have two premium channels in HD and three shows a night. I'm not worring about having to replace the TV by my treadmill with a HD-TV anytime soon, I'm sure not going ot worry about my DVDs.

I'd be happy as a clam if HD-DVD came along. (I'd be even happier if I could get HD-TV broadcast to my house.) But I'm not going to worry about upgrading a lot of my DVDs. My Chaplin and Buster Keaton discs won't look much better on HD-DVD than they do at 480p.

-Videophile
Old 09-11-03, 04:26 PM

i figure its better than heroin!

plus, i love movies. and a lot of movies i like or would like to see aren't available to rent, so i end up buying a lot of them.
Old 09-11-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ron_Bangel
I find that it fulfills my need to have an obsessive-compulsive behavior disorder.
WORD!!!!!
Old 09-11-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it should be pretty obvious. I'll say it again....although it's getting old defending the library over and over.

will they really watch the movie enough times to justify buying it?
how many times do you have to watch something for it to be justified? if I watch a title once or twice every year or two or three....so what? do people read the same books over and over when at the library? no. why? because it's a library. a place for later reference and enjoyment.

I'm only up to 150 DVD's so far...but then I start thinking "will they be obsolete once HD-DVD comes out?"...and if they are compatible with the new HD players...I'm gonna want all the HD versions of my movies then....it's a never ending cycle of upgrading!!!!
thats nuts. only some titles will I replace. ones that will benefit in a huge way. a film like Brutes and Savages or Scum of the Earth wont even come close to seeing an all-out improved version on HD-DVD. this is the case for many titles. on the other hand....something like a Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark would replace something current....and most likley...for the better. but to think I'll replace almost 2,000 titles when the time comes...is madness.

I'm a collector. dvds are supposed to have a shelf life of 300 years. thats stretching it I think. I'll be happy with 50. the point is....with proper care..these current dvds should last as long as I live. I wish to have a complete library of all my personal favs...which I can watch OR refer to anytime I want. I'll be buying HD-DVD. I'll also be keeping all my dvd titles, thanks. if you check my collection link...you'll see I'm pretty selective with titles. I just dont run out and buy everything like some members here. I collect what I love.
Old 09-11-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I like movies.

Simple as that.
Old 09-11-03, 04:46 PM
Banned

I think it's funny too everytime I hear about hdtv, I buy and collect dvds because of the transfers not the format, I still got laserdiscs versions of movies that look almost better then my dvd versions do. there isn't that many. What gets me upset about HD-DVD is the fact that Film isn't better then hd is. so for me my progressive scan dvd player 480p with my sony hdtv is just fine. the real killer app for HDTV is sports events that are shot on true HD camaras. unless more and more movies are shot on HD cams then really whats the point people. sure it may be a bit better but for most people will not see the different in a higher bitrate or higher res.

I got my hdtv because its widescreen not because it's HD, i mean sure thats great in the future maybe but I am loving it today when I watch my movies and I sure will bet even with HD-dvd most studios will just be taking older versions of movies not cleaning them up taking the same dam version from dvd and calling them Collecters Edtions. I can see MGM doing that right now.

To me what we should be thinking is not HDTV but or HD-DVD but a multiformat player that plays a high speed data from our pcs and will show it on our screens regardless of what it is. I dream of a day when I can take files of the net and burn them to a disc or better yet send them to our tv set, what we need isn't HDTV but a high res widescreen multimedia monitor that can show anything at a high res and at a high refressrate not dressed up 60hz but a 120hz would be great like a computer monitor, then we can play games, movies, watch tv, anything we want to dream of using.

I am sick of the limts and marketing of meanless brand names of formats, I say death to formats and welcome the true information age.
Old 09-11-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because I love them, can't get enough... Its an addiction for me I tell ya!
Old 09-11-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Why do you collect DVDs?

Originally posted by vice86
"will they be obsolete once HD-DVD comes out?"...and if they are compatible with the new HD players...I'm gonna want all the HD versions of my movies then....it's a never ending cycle of upgrading!!!!
This is going to happen again and again for the rest of your life. You might as well get used to it now. Technology moves on. People with large LP collections got CD players and upgraded some of their titles. People with large Laserdisc collections got DVD players and upgraded some of their titles. This will happen again with HD-DVD. And then again with holographic BubbleChips or whatever is next in line...

Most people with large LD collections will tell you, DVD did not make our collections 'obsolete'. There are HUNDREDS of great titles that are still exclusive to LD. And many LD editions with audio commentary or other extras that never made the transition to DVD. Of the LDs that were made 'obsolete' by DVD, I can probably count on one hand the number that I lost money on. The vast majority of them made a profit for me when placed on eBay. The transition from LD to DVD has been a non-issue for me.

I suspect the HD-DVD transition will be similar, although probably even less radical. There are a lot more DVDs and DVD players out there than LDs. I doubt there will be a quick of a flood as we saw with DVD... and backward compatibility will ensure that DVDs remain around for a long, long time. Although, with time, DVD will be overtaken too.

But, as with LD, you have to realize that when a new technology comes out, your exisiting collection doesn't melt or stop working. You can continue to enjoy your existing DVDs and simply upgrade those titles that you really, really love or that are radically improved on the new format.

And, as for why I collect... I love movies. Plain and simple. I find it valuable to have a closet full of thousands of titles to watch and study whenever the mood strikes. It's really no different than people who have hundreds of books lining their shelves at home (which, actually, I have too).
Old 09-11-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jarryjayo
What gets me upset about HD-DVD is the fact that Film isn't better then hd is. so for me my progressive scan dvd player 480p with my sony hdtv is just fine. the real killer app for HDTV is sports events that are shot on true HD camaras. unless more and more movies are shot on HD cams then really whats the point people. sure it may be a bit better but for most people will not see the different in a higher bitrate or higher res.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you saying (as I think you are) that HDTV is 'better' than film? No way. The resolution of film is significantly better than existing HD formats. Until home video reaches that level of resolution (and we're not even close yet), there will always be plenty of room for improvement.
Old 09-11-03, 05:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Because I found it pretty boring watching a Stamp for an hour and half.
Old 09-11-03, 05:08 PM
Banned

Mr Lucas thinks so, isn't he using HD Cams to film his star wars movies, and last time I looked film is not digital., this is why we want digital screens in theatres. so we don't get any filckers or scraps perfect images.
Old 09-11-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Why do you collect DVDs?

Originally posted by vice86
Just wondering why people collect DVDs...will they really watch the movie enough times to justify buying it? Is it just like any other hobby? I saw one guy wiht over 2500 dvd...HOLY SNIKEYS!!!

I collect DVDs because I love movies, and I only have to watch a DVD once to justify the purchase. You shouldn't judge your collection by how many DVDs others have you should judge it by how many DVDs are on your wishlist.

As others have said my collection will not become obsolete if/when HD-DVD comes out. Titles worth upgrading will be upgraded and title not worth upgrading won't. Seems rather simple.
Old 09-11-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

plus the fact with TV shows, no commercials!
Old 09-11-03, 05:29 PM

Taking my old lady to the movie theater costs me about $19... If I buy it on DVD for on average $9-$10 (Columbia House and other discount e-tailers), I feel like I'm ahead of the game (considering the extras, etc. as well).
It would probably be a different thread, but what about going to see a movie at the theater for $19 and only getting to see it once (with no extras or anything else)?
Old 09-11-03, 05:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

hell, it beats collecting base ball cards. If I'm going to spend my money on something, it better entertain me. Dvds offer hours of entertainment

plus I love movies, and find making of stuff fasinating. Buying dvds have sparked an even greater desire in me to go to film school and become a director.

speaking of film schools I just got into Brooks Institute of Photogrpahy film school just last month

Old 09-11-03, 05:58 PM

I really, really love movies... and along with this and makeup, DVDs are just very addicting to collect. Both get use and don't just sit there and do nothing
Old 09-11-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like movies, I find them to be very interesting. They are expressions of human thought and ideas like many of the other arts. I learn from them which makes me a better person, unless I'm watching Plan 9 or something. I don't mind the occasional escapism fare, though.
Old 09-11-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It keeps me out of jail.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.