Reload this Page >

Alien: Quadrilogy Date - November 11th!

Community
Search

Alien: Quadrilogy Date - November 11th!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-03, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alien is rumoured to have a 6 channel Dolby Digital track...dunno if this is true.
Old 06-29-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by ryuryu2949
Was there a dts track on any of the previous editions of the Alien(s) movies?
Not on DVD, no. There was a DTS laserdisc release of Alien Resurrection. Other than that, nothing.
Old 06-29-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BananaMan
Alien is rumoured to have a 6 channel Dolby Digital track...dunno if this is true.
The original release of Alien on DVD had a 5.1 DD track which "simulated" the 6 channel magnetic... but I've heard reports that it wasn't that great.

Perhaps a new 5.1DD/EX mix and (hopefully) a DTS-ES mix are due...
Old 06-30-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, for one, like the director's cut of Aliens. I absolutely hated Alien: Resurrection when I saw it in the theater and wasn't too impressed with Alien3 either. So I only bought the first two...four (?) years ago. However, after watching the fourth one tonight, I'll pick up the box. Yeah, it's different, but it's still a decent enough Alien film, IMO. Much better than I first thought.
Old 06-30-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another lil bit of news... this time off the darkhorizons.com site..

Alien Quadrilogy (DVD): The Winnipeg Sun reports that Frantic Films production house had its special effects crew spending "a couple of months working on one of several shots Fox is adding to its 'Alien: Resurrection' DVD" for this set

Can't wait for nov.
Old 07-01-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
So does this mean we'll be getting the uncut version of Alien: Ressurection or they're just tweaking the opening and ending of the film?

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-01-03 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-22-03, 01:36 PM

From www.scifi.com/sfw:

"Fox is releasing a new version of its classic SF film Alien on Halloween in more than 1,000 theaters, with newly added footage that has never before been seen. The re-release of the 1979 movie is modeled on the successful theatrical re-release last year of an updated version of The Exorcist.".
Read this today and wondered if this might be an alternate version available on the new release in Nov. Thoughts?
Old 07-22-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Second release, $100 and No DTS! May want to wait for the extra ultimate superbit deluxe special edition limited version to come out after this one.
Old 07-22-03, 02:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Ejunior2
Read this today and wondered if this might be an alternate version available on the new release in Nov. Thoughts?
Sounds as though it may in fact be.
Old 07-22-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alien/s/3/res are all cool imo. For me, Aliens is like Star Wars... if its in the Star Wars universe, I wanna see it. Some are better than others (die jarjar die!) but I still want em all. Be interesting to see how much better resurection is in DC form... I liked the DC of Aliens...

j
Old 07-22-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jekbrown
Alien/s/3/res are all cool imo. For me, Aliens is like Star Wars... if its in the Star Wars universe, I wanna see it. Some are better than others (die jarjar die!) but I still want em all. Be interesting to see how much better resurection is in DC form... I liked the DC of Aliens...

j
I'm the same way. I like anything related to the Aliens world. I have most of the Aliens novels since I just like spending time in that universe. I'll definitely buy the new set of DVDs. Heck, if they released a third set I'd probably buy that too. The Alien Legacy was my first DVD box set purchased back in '99, so I'm gonna hang on it. I'll also always keep my Aliens laserdisc box set. The more the better.
Old 07-23-03, 12:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
So does this mean we'll be getting the uncut version of Alien: Ressurection or they're just tweaking the opening and ending of the film?
what did they actually cut from "Alien: Resurrection"?
Old 07-23-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Logic, good writing, and the science advisor, apparently.
Old 07-23-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Logic, good writing, and the science advisor, apparently.
That's just too funny!
Old 07-23-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about an ALIENS commentary??
Old 07-23-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
According to another poster here in DVDtalk (who's name I keep forgetting), some 30+ minutes where cut from the film because Fox didn't want to release a near 3 hour Alien film and thus the studio re-cut the movie and had one actor redub his lines so as to cover a half hour worth of storytelling without having to show any of it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-23-03 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-23-03, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
According to another poster here in DVDtalk (who's name I keep forgetting), some 30+ minutes where cut from the film because Fox didn't want to release a near 3 hour Alien film and thus the studio re-cut the movie and had one actor redub his lines so as to cover a half hour worth of storytelling without having to show any of it.
This is probably the scene
Spoiler:
where the scientist is in the alien hive while the Queen is giving birth. You hear his voice, but his lips don't start moving till halfway through his speech, and when they do, they aren't synched up to what he is saying.
Old 07-23-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can understand why some people dont like Resurection... heck, its prolly my least fav alien movie... that said, why not give the extended version a chance? Wait until you see the version the director wanted you to see and THEN bash the heck out of him/her if it sucks.

j
Old 07-23-03, 05:41 PM

Going to be an interesting box-set one way or another.

Alien was the only one with decent extras on the original, but if this is going to be a new "director's cut" even better.

Aliens - Cameron has finally gotten the commentary bug so finger's crossed.

Alien 3 - I also get that "VHS Work Edit" feeling with this extended cut, unless fox really did hang on to everything they originally hated.

Alien Ressurection - Not fussed to be honest.

The bonus disc does sound a little dissapointing:

Legacy - Included on the original so nothing new.
Evolution - Shown reccently in the UK, not that impressed. Talks alot about Alien and then appears to rush through the rest of the films!

I'm waiting for studios to have the guts to put honest commentaries on films instead of people towing the party line. David Fincher and the Cast and Crew bitching about how the studio butchered the original cut of 3. Joss Whedon telling us how much his "dream project" was gutted before his eyes! H R Giger slagging off everyones aliens except his own! What have the studios got to be afraid of?
Old 07-27-03, 03:37 PM

I'm not clear on this, are they planning some kind of special director's cut of the orginal Ridley Scott film, Alien? I didn't know there were any alternate cuts to consider. I have the LD box and the DVD. There's a lot of unfinished extra scenes but from Scott's past interviews I thought he was pretty firm on the theatrical cut being final...
Old 07-27-03, 09:01 PM

Ok.. maybe this has already been stated, but I have a question about this box set. I know it is going to have extras, etc., but how about the movies themselves? Are they going to be director's cuts, or just the same movies redone? I am a huge Alien fan, but bonus features don't justify me replacing my set that I have now. If the movies are Director's Cuts, containing footage not in the other releases, then I would definitely pick them up. Thanks for any info you guys can give me. --RickWJ324
Old 07-27-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RickWJ324
Ok.. maybe this has already been stated, but I have a question about this box set. I know it is going to have extras, etc., but how about the movies themselves? Are they going to be director's cuts, or just the same movies redone? I am a huge Alien fan, but bonus features don't justify me replacing my set that I have now. If the movies are Director's Cuts, containing footage not in the other releases, then I would definitely pick them up. Thanks for any info you guys can give me. --RickWJ324
The good news, according to their sources, is that the Alien 3 package will include David Fincher's original vision of the movie, which should be interesting to say the least. Full rumoured specs below.

The Ultimate All-New Alien Boxset, loaded with hours of never before seen extras!

Aliens: will allow viewers to choose between the Theatrical version, which has never been available on DVD before, and the Cameron, Director’s cut

Alien 3: will include David Fincher’s 2 hr. 50 min original version of the movie, which has never been released.

Alien Resurrection: will feature an alternate opening and ending (crash on Earth).

And for the 9th bonus disc, which will include over 3 hours of material:
# Alien Legacy – Was a free mail-in offer
# Alien Evolution – BBC Documentary
# Darkhorse Alien Comics
# Darkhorse Alien vs. Predator
# Complete Laser Disc features – so can throw away laser discs and have everything imaginable in this boxset
# DVD-ROM
http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=3208
Old 07-27-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Ridley Scott is currently working on the Director's Cut of Alien for the upcoming theatrical re-release. I'm curious if this version will be available for the DVD. I would hope both versions would be available.
Old 07-27-03, 09:52 PM

Alien is a 2 DVD set? So both versions should be on there.

There should an official announcement very soon......Right?
Old 07-28-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So it wont include the documentary that was on AMC (?) earlier this year?

bogus man

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.