Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"There's Nothing Out There!" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

There's Nothing Out There! (1991)

Selected by Darkgod

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

PRIME"><span style=PRIME" /> PRIME">PRIME

TUBI

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-02-23, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "There's Nothing Out There!" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Nice subset pick. I enjoyed the cheesy mix of scifi homage, hammy comedy, and cheap creature effect. If anything the acting (especially the offen wooden Mike) held it down from being better and the humor was often a bit too dumb. I was hoping we would see more face melting effects (melting bodies definifely needs go be on the checklist next year). The video store intro using poster images to show the action was clever. Director Rolfe Kanesky seems to have made a lot of b-films and while they never seem 'great' Ive liked more than a few. Imagine the surprise when Wes Craven takes the gag (maybe by coincidence) and makes a sensation with Scream. Its delightfully sleaze how the female lead runs around in her swimsuit most of the film and the skinny dipping typical horror victims were clever.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-14-23 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-03-23, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I think this is a fun movie, probably my second time seeing it. I enjoyed the self-aware tone of it. I really like the opening in the video store with all the different flashes of movie posters. It made me think of our annual banner.

It really is hard to watch this without thinking about Scream. It does make you wonder if Kevin Williamson saw it and was influenced by it. Ultimately, Scream was the better film, but this certainly gets points for being first.
Old 10-14-23, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

This was surprisingly great! I had never heard of it until Vinegar Syndrome released it a few years back. I stayed away from it because the trailer looked so bad and never picked it up. It appears the stream on Prime is the same quality transfer that VS put out as their logo is played at the end of the credits.

Mix Breeders with Scream with The Cabin In The Woods and you have this movie...though this predates the last two mentioned by several years. Lots of nudity, some cheesy humor and effects and some fun gore. I was surprised at how good the production values were for probably such a low budget. This is what Terror At Tenkiller wanted to be.

The main guy's voice sounded so familiar, and it finally hit me that he sounds a lot like Dante in Clerks. "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

I even thought the majority of the acting was good, the humor was funny and even the instrumental score and soundtrack (with cheap, unknown pop tunes) was solid.

Great pick. Glad I watched it!

My rating: **** out of *****
Old 10-22-23, 10:48 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Gosh, guys, I'm glad you all liked it, and I see it is rated a *3* on letterboxd, but I thought it was a stinker. Uber low budget, bad acting, laughable monster effects... Pure Rifftrax fodder. I guess the horror movie fan thing could be endearing, but it wasn't enough to get me past everything else. Also, if your'e not a fan of the "no one will believe me" trope, that's basically the entire plot here.

Why did they have the main girl in a bikini for, like, the entire film (yes, I know, it was rhetorical). Because when my life is in danger, and I'm fighting monsters, I definitely would be most comfy and badass wearing a freaking itsy bitsy bikini. 1/5 stars for me.
The following users liked this post:
Obi-Wanma (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 747 Likes on 370 Posts

I watched this last night, and I'm with jholmes. I kind of knew what to expect when I saw that it was made by Rolfe Kanefsky, but this was worse that I was expecting. There was nothing interesting, funny, scary or good about this film. It definitely misses a Rifftrax treatment, which was the only thing that made Tenkiller watchable. I did kind of like the movie poster gag in the beginning, but that was about it.