Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Sleepless" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Sleepless (2001)

Selected by alyxstarr

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-17-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Sleepless" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

On the English dub I have access to (I assume in general) the killer's voice (at least on the phone) sounds just like Roger Jackson (the 'ghostface' voice on Scream franchise) - distractingly so.

Max Von is an epic actor but seems miscast as a forgetful burnt detective; he seems un-naturally humble here.

The nursery rhyme based killer is a good idea but that is one far out rhyme it's hard to easily keep track of all the animals.

It’s strange how many parallels get drawn between horror and ballet.

I did not expect that killer reveal, not sure anyone could - its a stretch that is a cool visual but a bit nonsense.

A shame that Sleepless reminds so much of Giallo classics while being just serviceable itself; Im hoping Argento got his 'mojo' back for Dark Glassess.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-23 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-17-23, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

As far as later Argento films go, you can do far worse than this one. It's serviceable if a little long. There are definitely some memorable kills. I had forgotten the one with the musical instrument. That was rough as was the smashing of the teeth. The final gunshot to the head was nicely done as well.

I saw this once years ago and thought it was super slow. I did like the movie more on rewatch, but as deliberately paced as most of the movie is, that ending sure felt rushed. It just felt weird, perhaps even more so with the end credits going over the final scene.

The only thing I really remembered about the movie once it got started was who the killer is but couldn't exactly remember the reasoning for it. The one thing that did feel obvious was that it wasn't a dwarf. The reveal made for a good explanation. You'd think Giacomo would have known the killer was a kid, though. Oh, the actress who played Gloria reminded me so much of Asia Argento.
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
Spiderbite (10-25-23), Undeadcow (10-17-23)
Old 10-25-23, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

The pacing on this one was pretty off and hurt a decent story. Also, a lot of the acting, dubbing, and dialogue was so bad that it kept making me chuckle which would destroy whatever minor tension this film could possibly offer.

The gunshot at the end was awesome but gunshot guy's voice was so damn funny that it made it even more laughable that he was revealed to be the killer.

There is a good movie in here somewhere. The effects and score were definitely solid on this one.

My rating: ** out of *****
Old 10-27-23, 10:33 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Max Von Sydow was a treat, as always, and the mystery was sufficiently twisty. I suspected the father of the bff early on, but wasn't disappointed with the real ending. The "killer dwarf" stuff reminded me of Don't Look Now. I enjoyed the old detective/young boy collab. 3/5 stars for me.

What a horrible nursery rhyme! I hope that wasn't a real book that was actually published anywhere and that it was just made up for the film.