Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Evil Dead Rise" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Evil Dead Rise (2023)

Selected by hbsvb

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

HBO MAX

HBO MAX VIA PRIME"><span style=HBO MAX VIA PRIME" /> HBO MAX VIA PRIME">HBO MAX VIA PRIME

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 09-24-23, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: "Evil Dead Rise" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Additional Posters Part 2:

Spoiler:

Old 10-12-23, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The framing segment is brilliant and kickstarts EDR off on an intense high. This apartment complex is a wonder of dimly lit grit that looks like a night hued hellscape even before the gore and kool aid haired Mommy hijinks. Its unfortunate because the monotoniously drap tone turns what could be a relatable household into something off putting (its the opposite of Pearl's neon pop). EDR needed more bright fun character development to balance out the ominious it does so well (maybe let the kid jam on his record player, or give us some other teasing sense of life) - most films take too long to get to the horror while EDR errors on the side of gleefully rushes in head first. The weirdness of the sizzling egg bit or the intensity of the tattoo gun scene are some great horror moments peppered throughout. Writer/Director Lee Cronin will be someone to watch.

Some of the references to earlier films were fun but maybe a little too on the nose (although Bruce Campbell on the recordings was top tier). Overall I enjoyed EDR but as part of a legendary franchise its not saying much that its my least favorite installment. Given its commercial success in a year of cinema reigned over by Super Mario Bro and Barbie films maybe there's still hope for gritty dark horror (that nets ten times it's budget).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-12-23 at 11:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (10-22-23)
Old 10-19-23, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Had a double feature with this and Talk To Me tonight and I was pleasantly surprised by both!

This movie was a ton of fun and had the right amount of gore, glee, and wackiness that the Evil Dead remake from 2013 was missing (though the 2013 was not missing the gore...just the glee and wackiness).

Really enjoyed this one and look forward to seeing it again. Only disappointments were the CG blood and fire, which at times, was obviously bad, especially after they had some excellent practical effects.

My rating: ****1/2 out of *****
Old 10-22-23, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I had low expectations going into this, figuring that the Evil Dead trademark gore would be watered down for a mass audience, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it hadn't lost a step, even without Bruce Campbell. The references to the earlier films didn't take me out of the movie at all

Last edited by Gobear; 10-25-23 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-25-23, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

This movie was the second date I had with my now girlfriend back in the theater. I remember it being fine. An improvement over the remake which I strongly disliked.
Upon this revisit, I think I actually like it less. The bookends are really stupid and make little sense in regards to the story. I don’t mind the apartment setting as a whole, I just think it’s lacking the fun that an Evil Dead film should have.
I don’t know. Maybe Evil Dead shouldn’t exist without Bruce Campbell’s Ash.
No the voice recording doesn’t count.
Undeadcow (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Ugh, let’s go down the modern horror checklist. Black eyeballs, check! Knocking on the door violently with your head, check! Old guy with a gun, check! Black finger nails/ fingers, check! Contorted walking on all fours on the ceiling, check! Mouth opening 5x that of a normal mouth, check! I’m pretty exhausted by this one. Low expectations met. Shocked this isn’t a Blumhouse Picture.
The following 2 users liked this post by WillieMLF:
Toddarino (10-25-23), Undeadcow (10-25-23)
Old 10-26-23, 06:40 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I found this to be a very generic, predictable possession flick. not bad mind you, just by the numbers
Old 10-26-23, 11:07 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

This is my letterboxd review from back in June:
I'm not a fan of this film. For me, it was too bleak, too horrible all the way through. There was no relief, no upbeats, no humor, no attempt to lighten the tone at all. And yes, it's super gory. But I could have tolerated the gore if there'd been some kind of relief from the bleakness. Not one I will watch again. 2/5 stars.

And then it was picked as a subset film. lol. Well, I rewatched it and my opinion hasn't changed. The set-up early on is okay with the family and finding the book. But most of the run time is just relentless, repetitive, gory action. And it just loses me. To be fair, I'm not a big fan of the originals either--too much goop to the point where it seems like goop is the only point. Too little story. But at least those films had a sense of humor. This just isn't my jam.
WillieMLF (10-30-23)
Old 10-26-23, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

You guys need to rewatch the first Evil Dead movie because Evil Dead Rises mirrors it fairly well. It's goopy, gross, there is zero humor, and everyone dies, including Ash.
Old 10-26-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
You guys need to rewatch the first Evil Dead movie because Evil Dead Rises mirrors it fairly well. It's goopy, gross, there is zero humor, and everyone dies, including Ash.
Yeah, the original one is all horror with very little humor. The second one is an even mix of both. The third one is just a plain-out comedy set in a horror universe.

I like them all for what they are and thought this new one was great. I enjoyed it much more than the remake 10 years ago. That one had very little to no humor in it as well if I recall correctly.
Old 10-26-23, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I liked this one a lot because of its darker edge. The setting was a much needed change of pace as the cabin thing is just played out. Also the fact that the characters are a likable family instead of rowdy twenty-somethings was great. I've seen the film three times now and I'm still kind of surprised that they kill off the kids. This is a franchise where I like all of the entries, even the TV show was great. I'd watch another Evil Dead movie from this director. I don't really miss the comedy, it'd be hard to fill Bruce Campbell's shoes.
Old 10-30-23, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 747 Likes on 370 Posts

I watched this late last night, saw it in the theater but not since. I think I actually liked this better on second viewing. The kids kind of annoyed me and I thought their acting was bad the first time, especially the son (which kinda made me feel bad, because I wanted to like the actor, who is trans). Maybe I was just more relaxed or just absorbing the ambiance, but nothing about their acting really bothered me the second time around. The actress who plays the mom is still the standout though, and her sister is not far behind.

A good time all around.