Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"It Follows" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

It Follows (2014)

Selected by jholmes

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

FUBO TV

PARAMOUNT+

PARAMOUNT+ VIA PRIME"><span style=PARAMOUNT+ VIA PRIME" /> PARAMOUNT+ VIA PRIME">PARAMOUNT+ VIA PRIME

SHOWTIME

DIRECTV

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 09-24-23, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: "It Follows" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

Additional Posters Part 2:

Spoiler:

Old 10-02-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I love the concept of a sexually transmitted curse and a monster that stalks you inexorably, one step at a time, that only you can see, I just didn't care about the characters. Of course, by shagging other people to pass on the curse, you aren't saving youself, you're just delaying your own demise because the monster will return to kill its original victim after the other links in the chain are killed off.
Old 10-03-23, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Best cold open ever; mysterious and gorey to a point anything after that feels like a decline.

I love the lurid shame of sexuality that lives in this film and reject comparisons to sexually transmitted disease (which Ive read elsewhere). The STD comparison feels too surface level - largely because I think STDs are overexaggerated to slut shame kids away from impulses, the base physical need (note how the It is an external force). It Follows feels about that shaming and desperate need to find 'one' attachment. Sexuality isnt linear, even if relationships should be consentual and monogomous; there is a moral movement to contain sex (the It Follows curse) - that once linked to one person at a time there is a lingering haunting death through possessiveness, control, inhibition, etc. It Follows feels like a mockery of morality and an expression of longing. The brilliant romantic subplot about rhe girl who is cursed and the neighborhood boy who pines for is ripe. Also the idea of sex as a weapon calling for destriction of the wanton. Because you've had It you can never settle down, always have the watch out, or try to explain to everyone how in danger you really are rather than accepting sex as common place - ItFs feels like a lampoon.

The camera uses wide zoom in a lot if scenes which gives a cinematic scenic feel and relates well to the plot point of scanning for the 'It.'.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-03-23 at 01:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Undeadcow:
Gobear (10-03-23), Trevor (10-03-23), WillieMLF (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 10:54 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm looking forward to watching this tonight on the Second Sight 4K disc. I haven't seen it since it first released, but I loved it at the time. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 10-03-23, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I didn’t see this when it came out and it only fell by the wayside in the time since. I’ve heard enough about it though so I kinda knew what to expect.
I dug the originality, but I’m torn between what the weak link is. The characters or the actors themselves.
Overall there’s a lot I liked about it. Including the score.
Old 10-03-23, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I watched this for the first time last year. I thought it was pretty good. A unique horror movie. I liked the idea behind “It” being some unseen thing that the characters couldn’t escape without passing the curse onto someone else.
Old 10-03-23, 01:57 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Interesting concept and well executed by the director. I have probably seen this film 4 times now and it holds up. Genuinely creepy at times.
7/10
Old 10-03-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I always saw this as less about STDs and more about the loss of innocence when you transition from adolescence into adulthood. Sex is probably the last major milestone to mark that transition and it can be scary for a lot of young people. Visually the film shows a lot of decay, for example the above-ground swimming pool is pristine in the beginning and ruined by the end, leaves are dying, etc. The film is about how trauma, and life itself, soils your purity and follows you for the rest of your time on earth.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveyJoe:
jholmes (10-04-23), Undeadcow (10-03-23), WillieMLF (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Right off the bat, I have to say that this movie always makes me think of a very close friend of mine who died last year. She was a big horror fan, even created a list one year but didn't keep up with it. I remember she saw this in the theater and reported back to me: "It Follows? I think they meant it sucks." This started me teasing her for always seeming to dislike critically acclaimed horror movies.

As far as my opinion, I've seen it several times now and am mixed on it. I think it's beautifully filmed, has a great concept, and a top notch soundtrack, but there are just little things that always seem to bother me as I watch it, like logic things. And maybe these things shouldn't bother me so much, but it's me trying to look for consistency and answers on what It is and what It can do, motivations, etc. For instance, why does It act the way It does or take certain weird appearances? Is there motivation in producing fear in the victim or more about catching? Because I get taking the image of a friend or relative, even just some regular looking guy, but why all the nudity or the demon kid or tall guy? They say It isn't dumb, yet these appearances clearly will cause a flight response. The pissing on the floor? Again, why? And then why not show people the piss later? You see, It is real because this was left here. Just a bunch of little things that sort of infuriates me but also keeps me coming back.

Because of all that, I know it's blasphemous for me to say, but I wouldn't mind seeing another film based on this. It doesn't have to follow the same characters. Think Final Destination. At the same time, I sort of know that a sequel or prequel would probably be a disappointment and am relieved they haven't gone down that route.

And I've always seen it as speaking on STDs but like hearing the other interpretations. I think it does speak to the film that people can draw so much from it. I can also understand some people's frustrations with it.

As a final aside, I like how this movie feels like it's out of time. It feels very modern but no cell phones (or very little), but then they have those fancy readers. There are cool little details that maybe don't add anything story wise but add to the movie as a whole.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-09-23 at 02:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by clckworang:
jacob_b (10-03-23), Trevor (10-03-23), WillieMLF (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

The main girl, she's in college, right? Why, when she's leaving class because she sees IT, does the person speaking in the classroom say "Excuse Me" a few times as she's leaving? It's university, pretty sure most people come and go. Got to go to bathroom, don't have to raise the hand anymore to excuse yourself. Not like she was disturbing the class or anything. Can't be in high school as she was going out with a 21 year old guy.
Old 10-03-23, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,082 Likes on 657 Posts

This was my second time to watch this movie and I just have to say that it utterly fucking sucks. I have zero idea why this got such good reviews and why it still holds a high score.

Whoever made this appears to think if they just make really loud screeching noises constantly and increasingly annoying music at as high a volume as possible, boom, you have a scary movie with scary scenes! Awesome. Hope you like that because you are going to have it every few minutes for this hour and 40-minute movie.

The acting sucked. The concept, while minimally interesting makes zero sense. How does this guy who gives it to her even know the "rules." How do ghosts get shot by bullets? Why don't they give the gun to the only person who can see the fucking ghost at the end? Why do so many people have sex with their clothes on? Does a blow job count? Why is the ghost constantly changing appearance but always wearing a hospital gown? Did that dude get fucked to death by his own mother (I could have sworn he said "Mom!" right before he got attacked)? The pool idea at the end seems straight out of a looney tunes cartoon. I have much more in the tank but don't feel like it is even worth the time typing it out.

And dear lord...the plodding, dull pace of this movie is simply glacial which is ridiculous for a little over 90-minute movie.

Fuck this movie.

My rating: * out of *****
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
jacob_b (10-03-23), Undeadcow (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Contracted is a much better movie about STD's and the like. Movie def has an 80's feel with the music and the way it is caught on film. I am shocked, in the time of sequels, we haven't had one for this film. Been almost 10 years so don't see it really happening. It is laughable that the geeky kid hit her with the chair and got knocked 10 feet back. In the end, you just hope they all die and never come back.
The following 2 users liked this post by jacob_b:
Undeadcow (10-04-23), WillieMLF (10-05-23)
Old 10-03-23, 09:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I love how I never know what the reviews will be in these threads. Lots of great points brought up by everyone so far. I’m in the love it but it could be better camp. Don’t get the total hate camp, the opening scene alone makes it an automatic 2/5 minimum for me. But then, I believe that recent circumstances and mood can completely change how someone reacts to a film. I might love it today, but perhaps hated it if my first viewing was on a different day.
Old 10-04-23, 12:30 AM

I haven't seen this since it first came out. I loved it then and it holds up. The idea of something relentlessly pursuing you in that slow way is terrifying. You can outrun it, but you can't *always* be on guard. And no one else can see it, so they can't stand guard for you. Sooner or later, you have to screw up. The scene on the beach where the thing approaches from behind--you in trouble, girl! The pool scene was another great set-piece.

I kind of wish they'd shown a few more deaths. We see the girl all contorted at the start, but we only see one other death and that doesn't happen. It seems pretty tame. So that would have upped the ante, I think. Still a horror classic. 4/5 stars.

I watched it on the new Second Sight 4k disc. It was great but I'm not sure there was *that* much difference over HD. The Atmos soundtrack was good.
Old 10-04-23, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I've seen this three times, and the hit me very differently this time around. I still think it holds up, but I don't really care for anyone here, as I think they are all shallow as hell. Sex and love isn't real here, it's just a mode for survival.

I agree we needed a higher body count to scratch that Itch I felt was missing.

The 'friendzone' guy finally gets the girl, but what has he really gained other than a death sentence? It's a bit pitiful as the bond isn't even real, but more out of her necessity.

I felt that giving the 'stalker' a physical presence wasn't a good decision. Keeping the existence of the stalker ambiguous would have been more effective, as her friends would never know if something was really there. She's freaking out in her own world that she created for herself, This to me is truly terrifying.

When she woke up on the hood of the car the next morning, and stripped down for a swim, did she swim to the boat to have sex with one of those dudes? It cut away as she was getting into the water, and the next scene had her driving with tears running down her face. Am I adding too much here?

Do bullets work or not?

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-04-23 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
The main girl, she's in college, right? Why, when she's leaving class because she sees IT, does the person speaking in the classroom say "Excuse Me" a few times as she's leaving? It's university, pretty sure most people come and go. Got to go to bathroom, don't have to raise the hand anymore to excuse yourself. Not like she was disturbing the class or anything. Can't be in high school as she was going out with a 21 year old guy.
I thought she was in high school. My high school teachers would have tackled my ass.

All the 'hot girls' at my high school dated 21 year old losers. It really was the thing to do.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-04-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I've seen this a few times and own it on blu, so obviously I liked it well enough, but I hadn't watched it in a number of years. I watched this time with my daughter. She hadn't seen it before, and she's old enough now, plus she was jealous about missing out on the films I was watching. She's my movie buddy. She couldn't help but compare it to Smile, which we saw last year. I hadn't considered the comparison when I watched Smile, but it really is a very similar concept, but a superior film. I still love that it's set in Detroit, and filmed in neighborhoods that look like the ones that I grew up (and still live) in. You don't see that on film very often. My daughter really appreciated that too. It's kind of the perfect setting for the out of time feel that they were going for. We both liked it, and I felt like it holds up. I love that it doesn't hold your hand and try to answer every question, and lets you work things out for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I've seen this three times, and the hit me very differently this time around. I still think it holds up, but I don't really care for anyone here, as I think they are all shallow as hell. Sex and love isn't real here, it's just a mode for survival.

When she woke up on the hood of the car the next morning, and stripped down for a swim, did she swim to the boat to have sex with one of those dudes? It cut away as she was getting into the water, and the next scene had her driving with tears running down her face. Am I adding too much here?
Yes, the amoral, unemotional relationship of the main girl and all three guys she sleeps with is an interesting choice, I think, and one that reflects the cynical, anti-sex theme.

I got the impression she slept with all 3 guys out on the raft, but they didn't last long because the creature is back after her shortly. Also, it's hinted that the dorky final boyfriend picks up hookers to feed the beast, but those don't last long either. At least the guy who gives it to her initially, "Hugh", attempted to warn her about what was coming.
The following users liked this post:
WillieMLF (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WillieMLF

I agree we needed a higher body count to scratch that Itch I felt was missing.

The 'friendzone' guy finally gets the girl, but what has he really gained other than a death sentence? It's a bit pitiful as the bond isn't even real, but more out of her necessity.

I felt that giving the 'stalker' a physical presence wasn't a good decision. Keeping the existence of the stalker ambiguous would have been more effective, as her friends would never know if something was really there. She's freaking out in her own world that she created for herself, This to me is truly terrifying.

Do bullets work or not?
My friend insists water is the weakness.

With those guys, the first time I watched, I thought that was her intention but she backed out of it. I'm less sure of that now, but I still think the turnaround time would have been too quick.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
I've seen this a few times and own it on blu, so obviously I liked it well enough, but I hadn't watched it in a number of years. I watched this time with my daughter. She hadn't seen it before, and she's old enough now, plus she was jealous about missing out on the films I was watching. She's my movie buddy. She couldn't help but compare it to Smile, which we saw last year. I hadn't considered the comparison when I watched Smile, but it really is a very similar concept, but a superior film. I still love that it's set in Detroit, and filmed in neighborhoods that look like the ones that I grew up (and still live) in. You don't see that on film very often. My daughter really appreciated that too. It's kind of the perfect setting for the out of time feel that they were going for. We both liked it, and I felt like it holds up. I love that it doesn't hold your hand and try to answer every question, and lets you work things out for yourself.
I couldn't stop thinking about this movie when I first saw Smile. So similar but this one feels like it has more depth.
Old 10-04-23, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jholmes
Yes, the amoral, unemotional relationship of the main girl and all three guys she sleeps with is an interesting choice, I think, and one that reflects the cynical, anti-sex theme.

I got the impression she slept with all 3 guys out on the raft, but they didn't last long because the creature is back after her shortly. Also, it's hinted that the dorky final boyfriend picks up hookers to feed the beast, but those don't last long either. At least the guy who gives it to her initially, "Hugh", attempted to warn her about what was coming.
Wouldn't it just get passed on to the first guy she has sex with? I still think she chickens out and didn't have sex with those guys. It's unclear, just like it's unclear if that guy has been picking up hookers or whether he's just looking at it as a possibility. I guess a lot depends on how much time you think has passed between scenes.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-04-23 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Did Greg have sex with another girl (or perhaps even more than one) after Jay? That's the only explanation I can think of to explain why it took so long to come after him.

Also I realized that the girl from the opening was Hugh/Jeff's girlfriend (there's a photo of them together). So Jay was at least the second person that he passed it to. That explains why he's had more time to figure out more about it.
Old 10-04-23, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Wouldn't it just get passed on to the first guy she has sex with? I still think she chickens out and didn't have sex with those guys. It's unclear, just like it's unclear if that guy has been picking up hookers or whether he's just looking at it as a possibility. I guess a lot depends on how much you think has passed between scenes.
Yes, I guess according to the rules, it would be the first guy only. And they definitely leave it ambiguous.
Old 10-04-23, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I saw this movie in theaters when it first came out. A buddy of mine was in town from out of state and had gotten tickets. I did not hear about it but he said it looked cool and we watched it at the ArcLight in Hollywood and it was a near sold out show in a bigger auditorium.

The first thing I remember is that the sound was loud as fuck. I later found out it was intentionally set that way. I even bought the tiny of the soundtrack - I really dug it and thought it was inspired by John Carpenter.

I just got the Second Sight 4K disc but have not watched it yet. I did read that the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is quite muted, but that the DTS track is much "louder."
Old 10-04-23, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jholmes
Originally Posted by clckworang
With those guys, the first time I watched, I thought that was her intention but she backed out of it. I'm less sure of that now, but I still think the turnaround time would have been too quick.
Once they found Hugh/Jeff, and they were talking to him, he said that he still sees 'IT', so the girl seeing the naked dude on the roof can just be a similar instance. They aren't in pursuit, but may just be present. I tend to think that if she did sleep with the boaters, she didn't hang around to explain all the rules, and they were quickly toast for IT. So, the naked dude could also be a result of those boaters dying quickly, but this really has no purpose then. The more I think about it, why would she do the deed with the boaters, then not expressly tell them what is coming. It would seem like wasted effort. I still think it's a great movie, maybe moreso because of the ambiguity. I'm done here....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.