Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Slither" Reviews/Discussion - 2021 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts

Slither (2006)

Selected by SterlingBen

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

PRIME"><span style=PRIME" /> PRIME">PRIME

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2021 DISCUSSION | 2021 LISTS

Old 10-01-21, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: "Slither" Reviews/Discussion - 2021 Horror Challenge

For a film made in 2006, Slither treats women as helpless victims. Elizabeth Banks has nothing to do in the film but scream, “Ah luv yew, Grant!” The film's screenplay bears James Gunn's signature humor and his biases.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-21 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

I’ve been a fan of this and Gunn since it came out. Although I don’t buy his response when he was asked about similarities between this and Night Of The Creeps. He claimed he never saw it or heard of it. Coming from a horror background, I think that’s unlikely.
Rooker is easily the best part of this movie.

Meat.
Old 10-01-21, 08:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Another first-time viewing somehow. Great cheesy fun.
Old 10-01-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I've watched this movie several times over the years. Nathan Fillion is great. I liked the balance of horror and comedy in this one. My only complaint is a minor one: Elizabeth Banks,while very llikeable in the role, is the definition of a Mary Sue character. But this is still one of my mainstays for this challenge every year. Might watch Night of the Creeps after work and compare.
Old 10-01-21, 12:42 PM

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

If you’ve never seen Night Of The Creeps, you’re in for a treat. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, but doesn’t quite venture over into full on comedy. Tom Atkins is great as usual and has one of my favorite movie lines of all time in it.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (10-01-21)
Old 10-01-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I've seen it, but have never watched these two back-to-back with a comparison in mind.
Old 10-01-21, 06:12 PM

Received 215 Likes on 141 Posts

Slither is a fun movie but its a bit too on the nose with influences like The Thing, Society, Night of the Creeps, etc that I detracts from it because so many elements are too readily familiar.

The best part is the toxic romance of squid guy and his wife with themes of (emotional and sexual) marriage fidelity but ultimately that comes across as shallow (or too deep for me to see).

Its oddball to me how nonchalant all the police are about the monster - they laughing and matter of fact about it. I much prefer this to the other extreme of blindly yelling cusswords to emote fear but theres got to be some middle range.
Old 10-01-21, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly the more I watch this the more I actually hate it; lately I walk away from the film feeling short changed in some way that I can't quite put my finger on.
Old 10-01-21, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Man, leaving Prime in 176 minutes, better get moving.
Old 10-01-21, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man this movie is the perfect mix of gore and great humor. Ha, I just saw Lloyd Kaufman in the police station. I think they are playing the theme from Predator.
Old 10-01-21, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Slither is a fun movie but its a bit too on the nose with influences like The Thing, Society, Night of the Creeps, etc that I detracts from it because so many elements are too readily familiar.

The best part is the toxic romance of squid guy and his wife with themes of (emotional and sexual) marriage fidelity but ultimately that comes across as shallow (or too deep for me to see).

Its oddball to me how nonchalant all the police are about the monster - they laughing and matter of fact about it. I much prefer this to the other extreme of blindly yelling cusswords to emote fear but theres got to be some middle range.
This is a great review and I totally agree.

I enjoyed it more this time around than the first time I saw it (which I believe was in the theater...15 years ago...damn). But it is still missing something and somehow feels incomplete for whatever reason.

I love all the practical effects and think this movie would have aged even better if it had went almost 100% practical. The poor CG at times really detract from an otherwise excellent special effects movie.

It is just a strange film at times and the tone can be hard to pinpoint which I think causes a little of confusion on how to process while watching it.

I am more stunned that there was never a sequel.

My rating: ***1/2 out of *****

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-01-21 at 10:51 PM.
WillieMLF (10-02-21)
Old 10-01-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not sure I had seen Society before the last time I had watched this. But this time, it really stood out. I've always been reminded of parts of Night of the Creeps with this movie. And to a much smaller degree some of The Faculty. I am going to have to watch Night of the Creeps this year to see if I do still find it as much fun as I remember. This is still fun despite everything that feels somewhat lifted/referential to other movies, just somewhat uneven.
Old 10-01-21, 10:39 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I first watched this in 2017 and wrote a glowing review. I really enjoy comedy-horror and body horror, so this hits my sweet spot. This time around I was more conscious of some of the factors that have aged--especially the sexism. Still an enjoyable watch with some memorable scenes.
Old 10-01-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Man, leaving Prime in 176 minutes, better get moving.
Damn just made it. Finished it now and there is only rent movie and buy movie options. It's very campy and is your typical horror comedy film. Because of this film, we got Rooker in the Guardians movies.
Old 10-02-21, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

I don't completely get the sexism claims about Starla. Throughout the film, she was always the one who showed the most bravery. When all the cops were just watching slack jawed as Grant ate the cow, she actually stood up and tried to stop him. She never backed away from him. Yes, it was a lot of I love yous, but not all women are Ripley. She tried to use the only leverage she had. My complaint wouldn't be that it is sexist, but that it is a bit simplistic and lazy.

All that being said, I still really like the movie. It's a fun watch. There are some great effects. The Night of the Creeps influence has always been clear, but like someone else, I hadn't seen Society before watching this the first time. Now I saw that very obvious influence. Good movie to revisit.

I forgot to mention that I don't think I had scene the end credit scene before.
T-bone22 (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 06:19 AM

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Michael Rooker is excellent as the husband/turned squid. Good moments of humor mixed with horror. I thought Elizabeth Banks was fine in the film. Like the group, there is something missing with this one that I cant put my finger on keeping me from rating it higher than 7/10

BTW, scream factory has a nice collectors edition blu ray
Old 10-02-21, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Michael Rooker is excellent as the husband/turned squid. Good moments of humor mixed with horror. I thought Elizabeth Banks was fine in the film. Like the group, there is something missing with this one that I cant put my finger on keeping me from rating it higher than 7/10

BTW, scream factory has a nice collectors edition blu ray
Quick aside, but I feel like I rate most things 7/10 and feel like it’s got to really wow me to get much more than that.
Old 10-02-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts

Always a fun rewatch! The mayor has the best lines.
WillieMLF (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 01:13 PM

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Gregg Henry is my favorite thing about the film (by a long shot), but Nathan Fillion and Michael Rooker are great as well.

I think that I like the film more than most who have posted here; I LOVED it when it first came out, but my love has been tempered by some CGI that just doesn't hold up very well.

And it has this song, which is almost as great as Smash Mouth's "Sorry about Your Penis" from Orgazmo:

If I were ranking the subset films so far, I'd put this one ahead of Road Games.
WillieMLF (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Quick aside, but I feel like I rate most things 7/10 and feel like it’s got to really wow me to get much more than that.
Agreed, nowadays a film really needs to draw me in and make me forget about everything else going on. Has to have a good story and good acting, which is hard to find especially in horror. Still a solid 7.5 with the funny one liners.
Old 10-02-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

A fun little horror movie with some stand-out performances and laughs. Rooker is great. The movie's influences are fairly obvious for devoted horror fans but that doesn't undermine its worth.
WillieMLF (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone

LOL, yes he really has the best lines. The foul mouthed mayor screaming at the guy to move his car, wile the mom and child are standing there.
Old 10-02-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

When the mayor said that Mr. Pibb was the "only Coke he liked," I turned to my wife and said that someone from the South had to write that line. Only around here would you hear someone say exactly that and in that way.

His line about shitting his pants and watching Animal Planet all the time was hilarious as well.
Old 10-24-21, 07:55 AM

Film had more to it than I expected. Still, agree with many of the criticisms and wish it had a bit more depth or creativity. But again, great cheesy fun, and pleasantly surprised.

​​​​​ Stealing rbrown’s subset ranking idea:

Road Games, 7/10
Slither, 7/10

Last edited by Trevor; 10-25-21 at 08:26 PM.