Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"[Rec]³: Génesis" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

[Rec]³: Génesis (2012)

Selected by tarfrimmer

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: "[Rec]³: Génesis" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

So I tried to check this out tonight and could not find it streaming anywhere but ALYXSTARR's link above.

Unfortunately the movie is entirely in French and the link above does not have subtitles. Any way to get a subtitled or dubbed link in there?
Old 10-02-19, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So I tried to check this out tonight and could not find it streaming anywhere but ALYXSTARR's link above.

Unfortunately the movie is entirely in French and the link above does not have subtitles. Any way to get a subtitled or dubbed link in there?
And is the first two streaming anywhere in case it's recommended to watch them before this?
Old 10-02-19, 04:49 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

(I posted in the main thread too, but I'll post it here in case anyone misses it there.)

My link for REC 3 should now have subtitles -- sorry about that.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
And is the first two streaming anywhere in case it's recommended to watch them before this?
According to justwatch, the first two aren't streaming anywhere, but from what I recall, you should be fine just jumping to #3. I think it takes place basically at the same time as the first two, just in a different location.

(While it's set in the same universe, this one definitely has a little bit of a different tone than the others -- more comedy thrown in, and I think it moves from the shaky-cam format to more traditional film after the beginning. So don't judge this one by the first two or vice versa.)
Old 10-02-19, 04:52 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
You should definitely watch the first two because they're both amazing horror movies. But you don't need to watch them before this one.

The 3rd movie has almost nothing to do with the other two. It's a completely different movie.

They're not streaming for free. But you can purchase/rent them at all the streaming stores.
Old 10-02-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
(I posted in the main thread too, but I'll post it here in case anyone misses it there.)

My link for REC 3 should now have subtitles -- sorry about that.

Thanks dude! (or dudess)
Old 10-02-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info! I remember watching the first one (really enjoyed it) but wanted to do a quick recap. And at the prices I found for #2, it surely isn't going to happen lol. Thanks for getting us subtitles!
Old 10-02-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The first two REC movies are amazing, some of the best horror made in the past 20 years. This third one was originally written as its own thing and then reshaped to release it under the more marketable REC label. You don't really need to watch the first two movies as this movie basically stands alone.
Old 10-02-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
You should definitely watch the first two because they're both amazing horror movies. But you don't need to watch them before this one...
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
...This third one was originally written as its own thing and then reshaped to release it under the more marketable REC label. You don't really need to watch the first two movies as this movie basically stands alone.
I would near insist that people watch [Rec] 1-2 first, not because of obvious plot connections but part 3 slyly spoils the epic plot twist in part 2. If you must [Rec] 3 could be viewed first but it would be cheating oneself out of a spoiler for part 2 (but subtle enough it might not be obvious based on part 3 alone).

Are we sure [Rec] 3 was originally an unrelated script? All the credited writers on IMDB were associated with [Rec] and/or [Rec] 2; which is surprising given the subpar treatment here.
Old 10-02-19, 04:15 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The imagery of the chainsaw bride slaughtering zombies is great but too little of the film is that over the top enough for it to work as a whole. I’d be really curious about the decision to abandon the found footage style that gave [Rec] it’s name, which I think ultimately hurt part 3 (the characters are less serious and horror more remote). The wedding introduction is ‘cute’ but probably too long and really divides the movie. [Rec] 3 is a big drop in quality from the near masterpieces [Rec] 1-2 are reverting back to more generic horror comedy elements. The first time I saw Genesis I commented “not as great as the first two but a reasonable "zombie" movie with style. Fun and kinetic if not a missed opportunity to build more on the [Rec] series.” This time I actively disliked it more because it really seems to trash a previously great ‘franchise’ with Shaun of the Dead lite elements that seem to lack originality. Generic couple fights generic zombies with “zany” comedy of armor, awkward priests, hearing aid grandpas, and stranded tour buses. It’s like an inferior Zombieland, etc.

I hope someone got to use that wedding setup, it seems like a shame for them to have such an elaborate set then film it all in shaky handheld cameras. This third film somewhat ruins the brilliant twist in part 2. I remember [Rec] 4 being another decline in quality from here. There’s apparently a 2 hour documentary about part 3 on the Shout blu-ray – like anyone has time for that.

What a great horrible ending; like the rest of Rec 3 looks cool but makes little sense if you think about it - more about sight gags than plot or frights.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-19 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 04:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Not much to add. Love it and the first two.

Foreign horror is a lot easier for me to appreciate than any other genre. I guess fear and dread are easy to express and identify with despite language barriers, and not fully identifying with and understanding the nuances of culture and language hurt more when watching foreign dramas and comedies. Just my spur of the moment thoughts and 2 cent psychology, but does it make sense?
Old 10-03-19, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoy foreign films as the acting is usually a bit better, IMO. With this film, not only do we get maybe the longest opening before the title screen (20 minutes) but the ending is way too cheesy for my tastes. Dude took forever to cut her arm and also, if I see a loved one messed up like that, I'm taking them out. They already dead. No use me dying too.
Old 10-03-19, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I lost track of how many times the sword was shown before being grabbed.
Old 10-03-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I went into this one pretty blind. I originally thought I had seen the first film, having mistaken it for that ATM horror movie. I was expecting a shaky-cam footage movie, and I like how they jettisoned that idea. I can see how this was envisioned as a stand alone movie, then brought under the mantle of REC shaky cam.

As a stand alone, this one was a good bit of fun. I really liked this one and y'all really have me interested in the first two movies.
Old 10-03-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

The REC series is one of my favorites. While this entry stands more on its own away from the other 3 movies, I still enjoyed it. The first REC is an all-time favorite. This was fun. I liked the bride as a character. The ending...the groom is an idiot, but it was still effective. The REC movies are just so much fun, even if I did miss Angela in this one.
Old 10-03-19, 10:53 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I watched all four REC films in order yesterday and finished up with part 4 this morning. I think REC 3 is the weakest of the series. It seemed like it was not sure if it wanted to play things as straight horror or "shaun of the dead" comedy. my favorite of the series is part 2 and part 4. I like part 1 , but i can't hang with the shaky cam stuff.
Old 10-03-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

1 and 2 are horror masterpieces. 3 is crap, and 4 is just ok. It's like they ran out of steam in trying to outdo part 2 that the filmmakers just said fuck it and put this together haphazardly.
Old 10-03-19, 06:57 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. I found it to be a huge step down in quality from the original. I doubt that I'll ever rewatch it.
Old 10-04-19, 01:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This movie was not at all what I expected. I had only seen the first [REC] so must track down [REC]2 based on your comments above.

I think what annoyed me the most was the start, that it opens with someone playing the "wedding" DVD... there is no way they would have put together a wedding DVD based on what happened. Who would want to watch that?

Definitely more comedic than what I thought it would be going in, and more predictable than I would have liked. I didn't hate it - it was okay-ish