Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Thursday, October 3rd, 2019

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recommended
Killer Nun (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ian Jane</small><hr />

The Movie:

Swedish sex bomb Anita Ekberg (La Dolce Vita, Fangs Of The Living Dead) plays Sister Gertrude, a nun who, since having a tumor removed, has suffered a chemical imbalance in her brain. This causes her no shortage of pain in her cranium. Her condition has resulted in a pretty serious morphine addiction, as she uses the drug constantly to ease the soreness in her head. Unfortunately for those who come into contact with Sister Gertrude, while it may ease her pain, it also causes her to go on murder sprees every once in a while.

One day, while assisting a doctor with an operation, things go wrong and she's all of a sudden finding herself compelled to axe the plug out of the patient's life support. After talking to her roommate, who may or may not be a lesbian, Gertrude decides to leave the solace of the convent and venture into the outside world. When she's finished o...Read the entire review »

Holocaust (Blu-ray)
<small>by DVD Savant</small><hr />

Reviewed by Glenn Erickson

In 1977, ABC's miniseries Roots made TV history, distilling a big American history lesson into just under ten hours of must-see TV. That precedent surely helped ignite the next year's CBS presentation of Holocaust, an almost eight-hour account of the murder of millions of European Jews during WW2. Judging by the news and editorial features of the day, Americans in general knew even less about the Holocaust than then they did about slavery. The miniseries would remain controversial, as pundits debated the merits and pitfalls of turning the darker corners of the human condition into network TV entertainment. This show may not be perfect, but it made a positive, educational impact.

We also knew this series as a career springboard for three great actors. James...Read the entire review »

Skip It
After (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ryan Keefer</small><hr />

The Movie:

I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I said I wanted to review the 2019 film After. Maybe because I've been exposed to so much kid's programming lately I needed a palate cleanser, but not like this. It's like when you've walked 50 miles in early August, and your only source of hydration is pepper sauce. Who does that to themselves? Well, this guy.

The film is based on a 2014 novel written by Anna Todd, and it apparently took four people to adapt it into a screenplay, including Jenny Gage (All This Panic), who directed. Tessa (Josephine Langford, Wish Upon) is an innocent girl with good grades who moves to college with the help of her mom (Selma Blair, Cruel Intentions), who becomes immediately suspicious of Tessa's room...Read the entire review »