Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 08-25-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

1,000+ SUBSCRIBERS STRONG!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU MOUSE OVER THE "FOLLOWING" BUTTON (AFTER LIKING THE PAGE) AND CLICK "SEE FIRST"!

Apologies for the formatting, folks. The January 2019 forum update wrecked it.

Banner update coming soon.

<sup>100 Movies. 31 Days.</sup> October 1 - 31, 2019

Yeah, it technically begins 9/30 (Monday) at Dusk and ends on 11/1 (Friday) at Dawn.

<iframe width="350" height="200" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UU2YOTA5DRY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="350" height="200" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VyVFBd9L1Pk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="350" height="200" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LMo8GfeVGBc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

DVD TALK HORROR CHALLENGE HISTORY

YEAR
DISCUSSION THREADS COLLECTION
LIST THREADS
RESULTS THREAD
HIGH
PARTICIPANT #1
2005DiscussionN/AThe 2005 Results223steelpotato
2006Discussion2006 ListsThe 2006 Results170EdTheRipper
2007Planning, Discussion 1, 2, 32007 ListsThe 2007 Results333ViewAskewbian
2008Planning, Discussion 1, 2, Subset Films2008 ListsThe 2008 Results252poster mayhem
2009Planning, Discussion 1, 2, 32009 ListsThe 2009 Results198EdTheRipper
2010Planning, Discussion 1, 2, 3 2010 ListsThe 2010 Results282Trevor
2011Planning, Discussion 1, 2, 3, 42011 ListsThe 2011 Results228Mondo Kane
2012Planning, Discussion 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 2012 ListsThe 2012 Results306mightysparks
2013Planning, Discussion 1, 2 3, 4 2013 ListsThe 2013 Results209shellebelle
2014Planning, Discussion 1, 2, 3, 42014 ListsThe 2014 Results212Trevor
2015Planning, Pre-Challenge, Discussion 1, 2, 3, 42015 ListsThe 2015 Results253Trevor
2016Planning, Pre-Challenge, Discussion 1, 2, 32016 ListsThe 2016 Results334½Trevor
2017Planning, Pre-Challenge, Discussion Thread2017 ListsThe 2017 Results??????????
2018Planning, Pre-Challenge, Discussion Thread2018 ListsThe 2018 Results??????????
THE LINK PYRAMID

The Poll

Feedback Thread 2

Comments/Feedback 3

Feedback Thread Number 4

Challenge #1 ~ 2005 The Results

Challenge #2 ~ The Lists ~ 2006 Results

Challenge #3 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ The Lists ~ 2007 Results

Challenge #4 ~ Part 2 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ 2008 Results

Challenge #5 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights ~ 2009 Results

Challenge #6 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights 2 ~ The 2010 Results

Challenge #7 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights 3 ~ The 2011 Results

Challenge #8 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ Part 5 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights 4 ~ The 2012 Results

Challenge #9 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights Part 5 ~ The 2013 Results Thread

Challenge #10 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ The List Thread ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights Part 6 ~ The 2014 Results Thread

Pre-Challenge #1 ~ Challenge #11 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ The Lists ~ 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights Part 7 ~ The 2015 Results Thread

The Pre-Challenge #2 ~ The Challenge #12 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ The Lists ~ The 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights Part 8 ~ The 2016 Results Thread

The Pre-Challenge #3 ~ The Challenge #13 All-In-One Superthread ~ The Lists ~ The 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights Part 9 ~ The 2017 Results Thread

The Pre-Challenge #4 ~ The Challenge #14 All-In-One Superthread ~ Lists Thread ~ The 31 Film Subset ~ Theme Nights Part 10 ~ The 2018 Results Thread

THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSION ONLY!

LINK IS ACTIVE!

T
H
E

F
I
F
T
E
E
N
T
H

A
N
N
U
A
L

O
C
T
O
B
E
R

H
O
R
R
O
R

M
O
V
I
E

C
H
A
L
L
E
N
G
E

<sup></sup>
The "Rules"

What is This Thing?

Since its inception in 2005 the goal of this challenge has been to watch 100 horror films in a month's time. Obviously that's not an attainable goal for everyone, so your personal goal is of your choosing. Whether it's achieved, surpassed or beyond your reach, the ultimate goal here is to enjoy yourself while conversing with fellow genre fans.
Creating a List.

As always, there will be a separate list thread posted roughly 2 weeks prior (possibly sooner!) to the October 1st start date. Be creative and personalize your list however you wish - give reviews, post pics, link to your blog or start one on your page, provide IMDB links with your titles, add YouTube videos, include running times, etc.

The forum software now allows for unlimited post length, although you're still welcome to post it in a weekly or biweekly format. Also be aware the image limit has been raised from 35 to 60. And it's not a bad idea to provide a link to the list in your signature for easier access.

The date for list completion is November 15.
The only mandatory rule here is NUMBER YOUR LISTS!

What Counts?

If you're uncertain of the title's genre classification the IMDB and AllMovie are the go-to sources for determining its potential horror movie status.
Need more confirmation? A third and fourth option exists and that is FlickChart (requires free sign up) and TMDB.
Of course, any site is prone to the occasional error and if you feel that's the case asking in the discussion thread is advised.
Just keep in mind that the #1 deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone.

W
H
A
T

Q
U
A
L
I
F
I
E
S

Feature FilmsCounts as 1 entry
Short FilmsAdd them up to total 90 minutes to get 1 entry
Television ShowsAdd them up to 120 minutes (including commercials) to get 1 entry

Movies = 1 entry (despite running time)

TV shows count according to length as they're aired on TV (including commercials):

30 minute shows = ¼ an entry
1 hour shows = ½ an entry
90 minute shows = ¾ an entry
2 hour shows = 1 entry

Mini-Series = 1 entry for each day it aired

Commentaries count. (no restrictions)

Documentaries count.

Trailer Compilations count.
Longer Comps (4+ hours) = 1 entry for every 2 hours

A SLIGHTLY MORE COMPLICATED EXPLANATION:
Spoiler:

Concerning TV shows and shorts films:

Spoiler:

Like the other challenges, you need four 30 minute shows for 1 entry and two hour-long shows for 1 entry. 30 minute shows typically run roughly 22 - 24 minutes without commercials and hour-long shows are roughly 43 - 45 minutes. If it's short films that are 10 minutes or less, once you hit around 23 minutes of watching them, you've reached one 30 minute show (¼ an entry). Any combination that gets you to 90 minutes can be used for 1 entry. And this is not an exact science, so if you're off by a little it's really no big deal.

When listing the TV shows try to keep them together in 1 entry.
(Example: 30 min show/30 min show/30 min show/30 min show)

For the sake of organization, it's advised that you keep a Temporary TV section at the bottom of your list until you get enough for an entry.

Why 90 minutes? To keep the continuity going with the other challenges.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

W
H
A
T

Q
U
A
L
I
F
I
E
S

Every facet of horror counts: Horror-comedies, Sci-Fi horror, wretchedly bad horror [INSERT CURRENT REMAKE HERE], kiddie horror, creature features, erotic / XXX horror, Masters of Horror, silents, made-for-TV movies, etc.

The formats and how you watch them is strictly your call -- 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray via Playstation VR, DVD, Netflix Watch Instantly, HD DVD, at the theater, on television, public domain downloads (links provided below), VHS, Laserdisc, Video On Demand, Virtual Reality, Netflix disc-by-mail, UMD, MiniDV, CED, Amazon Instant Video, through your neighbor's window, Roku, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, a Boxee Box, Amazon Fire TV, Hulu, Youtube, Pay-per-view, Betamax, via laptop, netbook, VCD, a smartphone, a tablet ...you name it. And yes, that even includes the pan & scan, edited-for-television movies that air on TBS with obnoxious on-screen graphics and commercial interruptions (NOT recommended!). Just make sure the film is viewed in it's entirety.
Row #6 - Proud to be unoccupied since 2010!
You're welcome to include non-genre titles viewed during the month in your list, but please keep them separate from your qualifying entries and don't number them.
Sometime in November there will be a results thread posted. If you wish to be included in the stats provided (aside from your number ranking), please include the following in your list:

- First time viewings. The thing is a commonly used symbol.
- Formats viewed. (BD, DVD, NWI, etc.)
- Your personal goal ...even if it happens to be the challenge's goal of 100.

Keep it civil. The intention here is to have fun, so please don't take this event started by a guy with just a little too much time on his hands that seriously.

T
H
E

F
I
F
T
E
E
N
T
H

A
N
N
U
A
L

O
C
T
O
B
E
R

H
O
R
R
O
R

M
O
V
I
E

C
H
A
L
L
E
N
G
E

THE OPTIONAL STUFF
LISTS ARE ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD & IN THE LIST THREAD
THEME NIGHTS
31 FILM SUBSET
THE CHECKLIST
3 WILD CARDS
This adds daily "themes" with accompanying links to horror sub-genres, studios, actors, directors and even a group marathon with the intention of watching said content on the designated day. This year's list is HERE.
Watch these 31 films on the listed day, with group discussion starting the next morning or at your own leisure. Feel free to join the discussion regardless of whether or not you watch them.

Also, the threads from the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 Subset Lists and even the short-lived HFC List can be used for individual discussion if desired. This year's list is HERE
Complete it and feel a sense of accomplishment. The Expanded Checklist is HERE.

***Please include within spoiler tags to keep the list thread from running a mile long.***
Use for titles that lie outside the horror genre and normally wouldn't qualify or for those questionable titles you're not 100% certain about. They can also be used to count titles that aren't intended to be included as a full entry (I.E. a leftover 30-minute TV episode or short film). You have 3 so use them wisely.

For every 100 movies watched, you earn 1 extra wild card.
THE PRE-CHALLENGE THREAD
HELP BUILD THE OPTIONAL TABLES!

T
U
R
N
E
R

C
L
A
S
S
I
C

M
O
V
I
E
S

MONTH | DAILY

OCTOBER 2019 SCHEDULE OF QUALIFYING TITLES
Code:
ALL TIMES EASTERN
Code:

Monday, September 30th 6:15 am ET – I See A Dark Stranger Thursday, October 3rd 8 pm ET – Bell Book and Candle 9:45 pm ET – Horror Hotel 11:15 pm ET – The Devil’s Own (1966) Friday, October 4th 1 am – Suspiria (1977) 2:45 am ET – Night of Dark Shadows 4:30 am ET – Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages 8 pm ET – Godzilla (1954) 9:30 pm ET – Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) 11 pm ET – Godzilla Raids Again 12:30 am ET – Mothra vs. Godzilla Saturday, October 5th 2:15 am ET – Mothra 4 am ET – The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1977) Thursday, October 10th 8 pm ET – The Black Cat (1934) 9:15 pm ET – Curse of the Demon 10:45 pm ET – The Seventh Victim 12:15 am ET – The Devil’s Bride Friday, October 11th 2 am ET – The Blood on Satan’s Claw 3:45 am ET – Dracula A.D. 1972 5:30 am ET – Eye of the Devil 8 pm ET – Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster 9 pm ET – Invasion of Astro-Monster 11:30 pm ET – Ebirah, Horror of the Deep Saturday, October 12th 1 am ET – Son of Godzilla 2:45 am ET – Destroy All Monsters 4:30 am ET – Ghoulies Sunday, October 13th 12 pm ET – The Curse of the Cat People (1944) Thursday, October 17th 8 pm ET – The Uninvited (1944) 10 pm ET – The Haunting (1963) 12 am ET – The Fog (1980) Friday, October 18th 1:45 am ET – Poltergeist (1982) 3:45 am ET – Kuroneko 5:30 am ET – The Phantom Carriage 8 pm ET – All Monsters Attack 9 pm ET – Godzilla vs. Hedorah 11:15 pm ET – Godzilla vs. Gigan Saturday, October 19th 1 am ET – Rodan 2:30 am ET – Sugar Hill (1974) 4:15 am ET – Blacula 2 pm ET – White Zombie Sunday, October 20th 3:45 pm ET – The Nanny 12 am ET – The Phantom Carriage Thursday, October 24th 1 pm ET – Jason and the Argonauts 6 pm ET – Clash of the Titans (1981) 8 pm ET – Horror of Dracula 9:30 pm ET – The Gorgon 11:15 pm ET – The Plague of the Zombies Friday, October 25th 1 am ET – Night of the Living Dead (1968) 3 am ET – The Hunger 4:45 am ET – Nosferatu (1922) 8 pm ET – Godzilla vs. Megalon 9:30 pm ET – Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 12:30 am ET – The War of the Gargantuas Sunday, October 27th 6 am ET – King Kong (1933) 8 am ET – The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) 1:30 pm ET – A Kiss Before Dying 3:30 pm ET – Cape Fear (1962) 5:30 pm ET – Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) Monday, October 28th 3:30 am ET – Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell Tuesday, October 29th 3 pm ET – The Seventh Victim 4:15 pm ET – The Night Visitor 6 pm ET – Dead Ringer (1964) Wednesday, October 30th 8 pm ET – Mad Love (1935) 9:15 pm ET – The Most Dangerous Game (1932) 10:30 pm ET – Cat People (1942) 11:45 pm ET – I Walked With A Zombie Thursday, October 31st 1 am ET – The Walking Dead (1936) 2:15 am ET – Mark of the Vampire 3:30 am ET – Little Shop of Horrors (1960) 4:45 am ET – A Bucket of Blood 6:45 am ET – Freaks (1932) 8 am ET – Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932) 9:45 am ET – The Bat (1959) 11:15 am ET – House on Haunted Hill (1958) 1 pm ET – From Beyond the Grave 2:45 pm ET – Black Sabbath (1963) 4 pm ET – Chamber of Horrors 6:15 pm ET – House of Wax (1953) 8 pm ET – Bride of Frankenstein 9:30 pm ET – The Devil-Doll 11 pm ET – House of Usher 12:30 am ET – Pit and the Pendulum Friday, November 1st 2 am ET – The Haunted Palace (1963) 3:45 am ET – Die, Monster, Die! 5:15 am ET – The Curse of Frankenstein 6:45 am ET – Dracula, Prince of Darkness 11:15 pm ET – Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein Saturday, November 2nd 1:45 pm ET – The Uninvited

C
H
A
N
N
L
E
L

S
C
H
E
D
U
L
E
S

O
N
L
I
N
E

V
I
E
W
I
N
G

O
N
L
I
N
E

V
I
E
W
I
N
G
Links Partially Updated for 2018
O
N
L
I
N
E

V
I
E
W
I
N
G

O
N
L
I
N
E

V
I
E
W
I
N
G

T
H
E

R
O
K
U

U
S
E
R
S

T
H
E

R
O
K
U

U
S
E
R
S

Roku channels that carry horror films in and out of the public domain:

CHANNEL
CODE
Netflix*In Channel Store
Amazon Instant Video*In Channel Store
Archive Classic MoviesWSW1P
Nowhere TVH9DWC
YouTubeIn Channel Store
PlayOn*MYPLAYON
DailyMotionSNKQW
Movie SplashMOVIESPLASH
Hulu Plus*In Channel Store
Pub-D-HubIn Channel Store
Streamin' GarageIn Channel Store
SnagFilmsIn Channel Store
InmooIn Channel Store
CrackleIn Channel Store
JamanIn Channel Store
Midnight PulpIn Channel Store
VimeoIn Channel Store
Drive-In ClassicsIn Channel Store
Creepster.TV*In Channel Store
House of Horrors*In Channel Store
Movie Vault*In Channel Store
Epix*In Channel Store
ADCIn Channel Store
FlixUniverse*In Channel Store
EZTakes*In Channel Store
FlickStream TV*In Channel Store
BigStar Movies*In Channel Store
FrightPIXIn Channel Store
CouchCutterCOUCHCUTTERTV
Pop FlixIn Channel Store
RetrovisionIn Channel Store
Cinematio*In Channel Store
PopcornflixIn Channel Store
FlixFling*In Channel Store
Something Weird*In Channel Store
Instant Watch Browser*In Channel Store
Warner Archive Instant*In Channel Store
Full Moon Streaming*In Channel Store
HBO GO*In Channel Store
Viewster*In Channel Store
Tubi TV*In Channel Store
Grindhouse Channel*In Channel Store
Premiere*In Channel Store
SnagXtreme*In Channel Store
Cult Movie Network*In Channel Store
Bizarre TVIn Channel Store
FlixsieIn Channel Store
PD MoviesIn Channel Store
Oh The Horror!In Channel Store
Paranormal Act ChannelIn Channel Store
24-7 Horror*In Channel Store
Kino Lorber*In Channel Store
Dorado Films*In Channel Store
Classic Reel*In Channel Store
Cinema Terror Radio!*In Channel Store

Roku Private Channels

Get PlayOn for streaming Hulu (Free) and more.

Get Instant Watch Browser for easier Netflix Instant browsing.

To add any private or beta channel that requires a code, you must sign in and go HERE.

* = Subscription Required

T
H
E

R
O
K
U

U
S
E
R
S

T
H
E

R
O
K
U

U
S
E
R
S

HELPFUL TIPS & VARIOUS LINKS

LINKS UPDATED, BUT MORE ARE COMING!

Provide a link to your list in your signature.
Review it. Even if it's just a mini-review, a simple / or one word description.
Subscribe to this thread for the latest posts (Thread Tools → Subscribe to this Thread).

Create a list in advance of what you plan to watch utilizing a site such as:
iCheckMovies | Listal
| Listology | ListPhile | FlickChart | Ranker.

If you're indecisive and can't decide what to watch next copy/paste your titles into the List Randomizer (via random.org).

If you're doing a checklist, putting it in a spoiler tag makes the list thread much easier to read.
Increase your coffee consumption.
Insomniac? Use your disadvantage to your advantage!
Work from home? Ditto.
Save the supplemental material for November!
Boredom setting in? Watch another movie!
Stay within your comfort level and try not to get too caught up in the numbers.
ENJOY YOURSELF!

STUDIOS / DISTRIBUTORS
Code:
88 Films 101 Films Academy Adness Entertainment After Dark Films Alpha Blue Archives American International Pictures Amicus Productions Anchor Bay Entertainment Arrow Video Artsmagic Artsploitation Films Asylum Home Entertainment Audubon Films BCI / Eclipse Big World Pictures Black Fawn Distribution Blue Underground Boxoffice International Pictures (BIP) Breaking Glass Pictures Bryanston Distributing Cambist Films Cannon Films Capelight Pictures CasaNegra Entertainment Chancellor Films Cinelicious Pics Code Red Commonwealth United Entertainment Compass International Pictures Concorde-New Horizons Critical Mass Crown International Pictures Cult Epics Dark Castle Entertainment Dark Sky Films Dimension Pictures Discotek Media Dorado Films Ealing Studios Embassy Home Entertainment Empire Pictures Fantoma Film Ventures International (FVI) First Run Features Full Moon Entertainment Greycat Films Grindhouse Releasing Hammer Film Productions Hong Kong Legends Image Entertainment Imperial Indican Pictures Indicator Independent International Pictures (I-I) Jack H. Harris Enterprises Japan Shock J.E.R. Pictures J&M Entertainment Joseph Brenner Associates (JBA) Kino Lorber Lionsgate Home Entertainment Magnet Releasing Maron Films Massacre Video Media Blasters MGM/UA Home Entertainment Midnight Legacy Mill Creek Entertainment Millimeter Films Miramax Films Mondo Macabro Monogram Pictures Motion Picture Marketing (MPM) MPI Home Video New Concorde Navarre Entertainment NoShame Films Olive Films One 7 Movies Panik House Entertainment Producers Releasing Corporation (PRC) Raro Video Redemption Red Shirt Pictures Retromedia Entertainment Rogue Scorpion Releasing Scream Factory Second Sight Films Seduction Cinema Severin Films Sherpix Shock-O-Rama Cinema Shout Factory Shriek Show Something Weird Video Sub Rosa Studios Subversive Cinema Sunn Classic Pictures Synapse Films Tartan The Criterion Collection The Filmgroup Toe Tag Pictures Tokyo Shock Trans American Films Trans World Entertainment Troma Entertainment Twilight Time Unearthed Films United Film Distribution Company (UFDC) VCI Home Video Vestron Video Vinegar Syndrome World Northal

HORROR COMIC BOOK CHALLENGE - 2015

THE HISTORY OF HORROR CINEMA

HORROR CHALLENGE ORIGIN

HORROR FILMS - GRINDHOUSE CINEMA DATABASE

THE DVDTALK CHALLENGES COMPENDIUM

THE RONDO HATTON AWARDS

HALLOWEEN MOVIES ON TV

TV HORROR HOSTS

REDBOX FREE RENTAL CODES

IMDB - HORROR

ALLMOVIE - HORROR

TMDB - HORROR

STREAMING SERVICES WITH THE OCCASIONAL FREE TRIAL:

NETFLIX

HULU PLUS

BLOCKBUSTER ON DEMAND

SCREAMBOX

SHUDDER

HORROR BY DECADE:

BETTER LINKS COMING SOON.

COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF 1970s HORROR FILMS

QUINTESSENTIAL 1980s HORROR

HORROR SHORT FILMS:

ASTRON-6 | VIMEO | FEARNET | SHORT OF THE WEEK | SHORT FILMS HUB | ARIESCOPE
HORRORGENRE | ALTER EGO CINEMA | FILMS SHORT | THE ABCS OF DEATH

MOST POPULAR HORROR SHORT FILMS - IMDB

YOUTUBE CHANNELS & PLAYLISTS:

THE YOUTUBE LINKS MASTER LIST

VIMEO CHANNELS & PLAYLISTS:

COUNT GORE TV

NOTEWORTHY LISTS:

ULTIMATE CANONICAL TOP 1000 HORROR LIST | DREADIT'S TOP 50 INCLUDING THE REST
UNIVERSAL HORROR FILMS ~ 1910s - 1950 | EVERY HORROR FILM MADE FROM 1896 - PRESENT

MONSTERVISION WITH JOE BOB BRIGGS:

REMOVED | REMOVED | REMOVED

VENTURE INTO THE LITERARY WORLD:

If you're getting a little burned out on movies, try reading a horror novel or novella.
Amazon and B&N are constantly giving away free eBooks ...some occasionally in the horror genre:

EREADER NEWS TODAY | PIXEL OF INK | E-READER LOVE | ZERO DOLLAR BOOKS | EREADER IQ

SOCIAL MEDIA

Extend the conversation by joining our Facebook Page.
It's fairly non-intrusive - basically it lets you know about the upcoming giveaways, new threads posted, etc.

Also, be aware that very few subscribers are getting posts from the page due to Facebook being one greedy bastard.
If you hover your mouse over the "Liked" button and click 'Get Notifications' this should fix the problem.

Extend it even further by joining our Google+ Circle.

Not currently in use. Maybe it will serve a purpose one day.

Extend it ...straight to hell. Try our Twitter account.
Yet another social media outlet where anything goes.

Yeah, also not being used. Possibly this too will serve a purpose someday.

Seriously, why do I keep posting those last two?

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

PRIZE DETERMINATION

Random drawings will be held (via Random.org) for anyone who:

- Actively participates.
- Reaches the challenge's goal of 100.
- Completes the Checklist, Theme Nights or 31 Film Subset.
- Has participated in 5 or more horror challenges.

Not to mention:

- Answering trivia questions.
- The participant(s) voted 'most impressive list' as determined by you.
- Something else, maybe?

PRIZE CATEGORIES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

ADDRESSES OF WINNERS MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE 11/15.

Courtesy of Hamilton Book

???????:

Spoiler:

???????:

???????

Courtesy of Celluloid Terror

???????

Spoiler:

Courtesy of ???????

???????

Spoiler:

Courtesy of ???????

???????

Spoiler:

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

P
R
I
Z
E
S

Thanks Again to Our Gracious Sponsors...

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

<sup>The Challenge Officially Begins</sup> Monday, September 30th, 2019 @ Dusk.

<sup>The Challenge Officially Ends</sup> Friday, November 1st, 2019 @ Dawn.

CHECK IN TO MUSTWATCH
(Formerly "GETGLUE", "TV TAG" & "TELFIE").

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

<sup>THEME</sup> NIGHTS 31 FILM <sup>SUBSET</sup>

2008 LIST | 2009 LIST | HFC LIST | 2010 LIST | 2011 LIST | 2012 LIST | 2013 LIST | 2014 LIST | 2015 LIST | 2016 LIST | 2017 LIST | 2018 LIST

2009 LIST | 2010 LIST | 2011 LIST | 2012 LIST | 2013 LIST | 2014 LIST | 2015 LIST | 2016 LIST | 2017 LIST | 2018 LIST

MAJOR LINKAGE OF SUB-GENRES & BEYOND

STREAMING LINKS ARE PROVIDED IN THE SUBSET THREADS

OBVIOUS ALERT: Some links don't contain a complete listing of all films from that specific theme and/or are outside the horror genre altogether.

DATE
THEME
SUBSET
<FONT FACE="Arial"Any Day of the Month

Any Horror Theatrical Showing

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KOTjRIrC1AI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

Hollywood

Monday, September 30th

Avant-garde, Niche, & Surreal Minus the Slick & Polished Mainstream Appeal

The Criterion Collection Crossover

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S42pO3yz2ec" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tuesday, October 1st

It Has Nine Lives... You Only Have One!
Man's Best Friend Just Unfriended You!

Litterboxd / Devil Dogs (Cats & Dogs)

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bipeGUJTNjM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today is National Black Dog Day.
10/22 is National Make a Dog’s Day Day.
10/27 is National Black Cat Day.
10/29 is National Cat Day.

Cat People (1942)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

shellebelle

Wednesday, October 2nd

Grab a Hatchet for the Honeymoon or Be a Newlydead!

'Till Death Do Us Part - Wedding Horrors

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s_poLMl_B8Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Night of the Wedding Dead -- The Brides Arise starts tonight.

<FONT FACE="Arial"Thursday, October 3rd

It's the Last Place You'll Ever Play!

Playgrounds of the Damned

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s03B5vW28JY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Devil's Playground was released on this day in 2010.

Friday, October 4th

Viruses! Plagues! Outbreaks! Cloths That Smell of Death!
Call In the Military, And Someone Tell Michael--Lay Off the Meth!

Zombies, 2

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gu7J_7xLMkQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zombie Safari Dallas - The Zombie Hunt tonight.

<FONT FACE="Arial"Saturday, October 5th

Hey Lonnie, Get Your Ass Away from There!

The 100th Birthday Celebration of Donald Pleasence

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fDDg6ZsQNzc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donald Pleasence was born 100 years ago this very day on October 5, 1919.

Sunday, October 6th

Films Grandma Can Enjoy That Don't Go Beyond PG-13
Still Shit-the-Bed Scary, Just Not What You'd Call Obscene

Family-Friendly Horror, 2, 3

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QpSj7BM0MmA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The PG-13 rating began on Sunday, 7/1/1984 - first Sunday of the month.

Monday, October 7th

Let's Put Another Kiwi On the Ozsploitation!

Australia / New Zealand

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dRkuv75yuDs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today is the Queen's Birthday in Queensland, Australia.

Tuesday, October 8th

It Slices! It Dices! It Circumcises!

Slashers, 2, 3 / Giallos, 2, 3, 4 / Serial Killers, 2

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gqOd0HRKEEE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Serial Killer Pedro López “The Monster of the Andes" was born this day in 1948.

Wednesday, October 9th

Lost In the Middle of Nowhere; The Damn Car Won't Start
Outside a Vagabond's Eager to Rip Out Your Still-Beating Heart

Stranded

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g7syEnBEMp4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Antropophagus was released on this day in 1980.

Dead End (2003)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

Mondo Kane

Thursday, October 10th

The Immortal Classic, Followed By the Big Giveaway at Nine

Horror Movies in Horror Movies

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RNCzzHBnPqg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deadly Friend released on this day in 1986.

Friday, October 11th

The Striptease is Swell. It's the Lap Dance That's Hell.

Pasties, G-Strings, & Chainsaws - Strip Club Horrors, 2

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9VDmbWz_EYU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stripper 101 - Learn How to Pole dance classes in Las Vegas tonight.

Saturday, October 12th

1. Brew Some Coffee.
2. Abandon Sleep.
3. Watch Whatever. *
4. Survive.

Guitar Barbarians, Mutant Bimbos & Cult Zombies Run Amok In...
The 666 Most Ear- And Eye-Ripping Big-Scream Films Ever!

The 10th Annual Mass Marathon of the Damned Presents...

Heavy Metal Movies

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hs1SoqA4Pq4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

* Only One Theme Required to Complete.

Spoiler:
From the book "Heavy Metal Movies" by Mike "McBeardo" McPadden:

Freddy Krueger directs Evil Ed from Fright Night (he was also Wendell Tvedt in Fraternity Vacation) in a gimmicky, effects-heavy fright flick about Satan possessing callers by means of a " horror-scope" telephone line. The ring-dings include our bedraggled teen nerd hero, who soon turns into a purple-faced demon hell-bent on wasting his bully tormentors.

Upon release, 976-EVIL was a relative disappointment. A quarter century later, the VHS special is an automatic blast back to an extremely specific, knuckleheaded headbanger past. Aside from Robert Englund (yes, Freddy) behind the camera and Stephen Geoffreys (the aforementioned Ed/Wendell) in the lead, 976-EVIL traffics in rubber monsters, sticky gore, Satanic Panic, Spencer Gifts-ish punk chicks, and, in its every moment, the look and feel of an MTV hair metal video.

Besides all that, the central plot device is a pay-per-minute call-in number for a dubious entertainment service hustled hard via late-night TV ads. Circa 1988, these semi-scams were everywhere, offering prerecorded messages from teen idols, scandal queens, pro wrestlers, rappers, Howard Stern, and no dearth of metal bands, including Kiss (of course) and Warrant. There were also 900-number Heavy Metal Movie spin-offs such as the Freddy Krueger line, where he'd tell you a scary story, and a Bill and Ted touch-tone time-travel game that touted the Wyld Stallyns van as a grand prize. I'd love to meet the winner.

976-EVIL generated a useless 1992 sequel, and the Deftones recorded the 2010 tribute "976-EVIL".

Heavy Trip was released on VOD on this day in 2018.

976-EVIL (1988)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

PCBreakdown

Sunday, October 13th

Straitjackets Unhinged; Crazies On the Fringe! Holy Crap, It's Societal Collapse!

Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon: Phase 2

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CJ4kMwWicXw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Full Hunter's Moon tonight.

Wer (2013)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

WillieMLF

Monday, October 14th

Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - Chapter 7

1944 (Diamond) Vs. 1969 (Gold) Vs. 1994 (Silver)

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RST8VOlT9H8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wes Craven's New Nightmare was released on this day 25 years ago.

Tuesday, October 15th

We're Gonna Need Another Boom Operator!

Frights, Camera...Traction!

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JLFOnDGMElo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morbidly Beautiful wrote a positive review for Shadow of the Vampire on this day in 2017

Wednesday, October 16th

Dowsed In Pigs Blood & Dissolved In Sulfuric Acid
It Ain't April, But These Pranks Will Render You Flaccid!

April Ghouls' Day - Deadly Pranks

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2rMGrk5OY5c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The House on Sorority Row (Pranks) remastered Blu-ray released last year on this day.

Thursday, October 17th

Forecast Calls For a Mysterious Fog This Afternoon.
If That Shit's Glowing, Run Like the Shakma Baboon!

Fog-Infested Horror Films, 2

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pG8KEGxEASU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

John Carpenter's The Fog airs tonight on Turner Classic Movies.

Friday, October 18th

An Independent Maverick That Broke the Rules Abroad...
From Killer Mutated Babies to a Flying Aztec God

R.I.P. Larry Cohen (1936 - 2019)

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dy7_7XIyPdY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today Is the 45th anniversary of "It's Alive" theatrical release.

Saturday, October 19th

R.I.P. VCR: You're Officially Retired, But Your Kick-Ass VHS Video Cover Art Will Always Be Admired!

1980's Video Companies Spotlight

Thorn EMI / HBO Cannon / HBO Video, 2 + Video Stores

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f5Hf9gcxpfo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VIDEOTRON 9000 XTS-7X SAYS SUPPORT International Independent Video Store Day; It's Today!

Sunday, October 20th

Bela's Bloodsucking Bloodbath Birthday Bash Bonanza Extravaganza!

Vampires

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHrBiSlN694" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bela Lugosi turned 137 today.

Monday, October 21st

Goodbye to the Practical Effects Whiz Roger Corman Called The Best In the Biz

R.I.P. John Carl Buechler (1952 - 2019)

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fxcrgvMLfDM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers was released on this day in 1988.

Tuesday, October 22nd

Nothing Much Here In the Way of A Nonsensical Plot
Horrorphiles Have Experienced These Films A Helluva Lot

The 50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sq3BQdDnRIQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Basket Case was released on Region 2 DVD from Tartan Video Basket Case was released on Region 2 DVD from Tartan Video
on this day in 2007.

Audition (1999)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

Darth Maher

Wednesday, October 23rd

No Trespassing Sign Rejected. Survival Mode Initiation Expected.

Home Invasion Horror

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hf5FYqCH6EU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nightmare released on this day in 1981.

Us (2019)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

clckworang

Thursday, October 24th

We're Slashing More Than Just Prices!

Retail Establishment

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zJEKxNa7gxo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elves was released on this day in 1989.

Friday, October 25th

Blood, Boobs, and Beasts: Drive-In Total Ingredients For A Mutant Horror Feast.

The Return of Joe Bob Briggs

Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater / MonsterVision / The Last Drive-In
John Bloom, Thespian / DVD Commentaries

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DoD3EmCY7sc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs Halloween special airs tonight live on Shudder.

Saturday, October 26th

Mistress of the Dark Commits Aerobicide Shocker While Leprechaun Invades the Vegas Strip. Story at 11.

The Random Maniacal Mashup of Insane Indecisiveness 2!

TV Terrors / Late-Night Horror Hosts / Aerobics Craze / Casinos

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0fnYJy2GLe8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></iframe>

Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson appearing at Chiller Theatre Expo Today.

Sunday, October 27th

Teens Throw a Kegger In the Abandoned Hospital Off 3rd & Otter
Unexpected Guests Arrive; Radio Broadcast Mentions Mass Slaughter

Horror Parties

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQubU95-QEk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today is National American Beer Day.

Monday, October 28th

Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations

Horror Anthologies, 2, 3, 4

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qP6TB6VchlE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nightmare Emporium - Horror Film Anthology tonight in Seattle.

Tuesday, October 29th

Ectoplasmic Entities Materializing at Night. Strong Yet Suspenseful Emotional Frights. Summoning the Dead by Candlelight.

Supernatural, 2, 3 / Quiet/Soft / Seances

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GZFS0TaqxAA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ocean City Ghost Walk tonight in Ocean City, Maryland.

Wednesday, October 30th

Evil Witches Cast Their Spell, Runaway or Discover the Demon-Infested Layers of Hell!

Devil's Night Debauchery

Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/21qoDUNsSXI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

History of Devil's Night in Detroit.

Mausoleum (1983)

Discussion Thread

CHOSEN BY

mallratcal

Thursday, October 31st

Halloween Evokes the Spirits of the Dead, Tread Lightly or Experience a Decapitated Head!

All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest
/ Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/22X_O__eEgg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's Halloween.

Friday, November 1st

Comedy Plus Tragedy Equals Hilariously Horrific Death

Horror Comedies Crossover, 2

Spoiler:
<iframe width="400" height="150" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h2IKoonFHJc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

COPY & PASTE THEMES INTO YOUR LIST
Spoiler:
--- 10/01: It Has Nine Lives... You Only Have One!
Man's Best Friend Just Unfriended You! - Litterboxd / Devil Dogs (Cats & Dogs) -
--- 10/02: Grab a Hatchet for the Honeymoon or Be a Newlydead! - 'Till Death Do Us Part - Wedding Horrors -
--- 10/03: It's the Last Place You'll Ever Play! - Playgrounds of the Damned -
--- 10/04: Viruses! Plagues! Outbreaks! Cloths That Smell of Death!
Call In the Military, And Someone Tell Michael--Lay Off the Meth! - Zombies -
--- 10/05: Hey Lonnie, Get Your Ass Away from There! - The 100th Birthday Celebration of Donald Pleasence -
--- 10/06: Films Grandma Can Enjoy That Don't Go Beyond PG-13
Still Shit-the-Bed Scary, Just Not What You'd Call Obscene - Family-Friendly Horror -
--- 10/07: Let's Put Another Kiwi On the Ozsploitation! - Australia / New Zealand -
--- 10/08: It Slices! It Dices! It Circumcises! - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers -
--- 10/09: Lost In the Middle of Nowhere; The Damn Car Won't Start
Outside a Vagabond's Eager to Rip Out Your Still-Beating Heart - Stranded -
--- 10/10: The Immortal Classic, Followed By the Big Giveaway at Nine - Horror Movies In Horror Movies
--- 10/11: The Striptease is Swell. It's the Lap Dance That's Hell. - Pasties, G-Strings, & Chainsaws - Strip Club Horrors -
--- 10/12: Guitar Barbarians, Mutant Bimbos & Cult Zombies Run Amok In...
The 666 Most Ear- And Eye-Ripping Big-Scream Films Ever! - Heavy Metal Movies -
--- 10/13: Straitjackets Unhinged; Crazies On the Fringe! Holy Crap, It's Societal Collapse! - Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon: Phase 2 -
--- 10/14: Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - Chapter 7 - 1944 (Diamond) Vs. 1969 (Gold) Vs. 1994 (Silver) -
--- 10/15: We're Gonna Need Another Boom Operator! - Frights, Camera...Traction! -
--- 10/16: Dowsed In Pigs Blood & Dissolved In Sulfuric Acid
It Ain't April, But These Pranks Will Render You Flaccid! - April Ghouls' Day - Deadly Pranks -
--- 10/17: Forecast Calls For a Mysterious Fog This Afternoon.
If That Shit's Glowing, Run Like the Shakma Baboon! - Fog-Infested Horror Films -
--- 10/18: An Independent Maverick That Broke the Rules Abroad...
From Killer Mutated Babies to a Flying Aztec God - R.I.P. Larry Cohen (1936 - 2019) -
--- 10/19: R.I.P. VCR: You're Officially Retired, But Your Kick-Ass VHS Video Cover Art Will Always Be Admired! - 1980s Video Companies Spotlight: Thorn EMI / HBO Cannon / HBO Video + Video Stores -
--- 10/20: Bela's Bloodsucking Bloodbath Birthday Bash Bonanza Extravaganza! - Vampires -
--- 10/21: Goodbye to the Practical Effects Whiz Roger Corman Called The Best In the Biz - R.I.P. John Carl Buechler (1952 - 2019) -
--- 10/22: Nothing Much Here In the Way of A Nonsensical Plot
Horrorphiles Have Experienced These Films A Helluva Lot - The 50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen -
--- 10/23: No Trespassing Sign Rejected. Survival Mode Initiation Expected. - Home Invasion Horror -
--- 10/24: We're Slashing More Than Just Prices! - Retail Establishment -
--- 10/25: Blood, Boobs, and Beasts: Drive-In Total Ingredients For A Mutant Horror Feast. - The Return of Joe Bob Briggs -
--- 10/26: Mistress of the Dark Commits Aerobicide Shocker While Leprechaun Invades the Vegas Strip. Story at 11. - The Random Maniacal Mashup of Insane Indecisiveness 2! - TV Terrors / Late-Night Horror Hosts / Aerobics Craze / Casinos -
--- 10/27: Teens Throw a Kegger In the Abandoned Hospital Off 3rd & Otter
Unexpected Guests Arrive; Radio Broadcast Mentions Mass Slaughter -
Horror Parties -
--- 10/28: Once, Twice, Three Times the Lacerations - Horror Anthologies -
--- 10/29: Ectoplasmic Entities Materializing at Night. Strong Yet Suspenseful Emotional Frights. Summoning the Dead by Candlelight. - Supernatural / Quiet/Soft / Seances -
--- 10/30: Evil Witches Cast Their Spell, Runaway or Discover the Demon-Infested Layers of Hell! - Devil's Night Debauchery: Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell -
--- 10/31: Halloween Evokes the Spirits of the Dead, Tread Lightly or Experience a Decapitated Head! - All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror -

COPY & PASTE SUBSETS INTO YOUR LIST
Spoiler:
--- 09/30: group vote - Videodrome (1983)
--- 11/01: group vote - Return to Horror High (1987)
--- xx/xx: wildcard - any horror theatrical showing (2019)

--- 10/01: shellebelle - Cat People (1942)
--- 10/02: tarfrimmer - [REC]³ Genesis (2012)
--- 10/03: DaveyJoe - Der Fan (1982)
--- 10/04: Bladz - Zombi 2 (Zombie) (1979)
--- 10/05: hbsvb - Phenomena (1985)
--- 10/06: mrcellophane - Monster House (2006)
--- 10/07: Trevor - Boar (2017)
--- 10/08: SterlingBen - Disconnected (1984)
--- 10/09: Mondo Kane - Dead End (2003)
--- 10/10: alyxstarr - The Faculty (1998)
--- 10/11: TheBigDave - The Hills Run Red (2009)
--- 10/12: PCBreakdown - 976-EVIL (1988)
--- 10/13: WillieMLF - Wer (2013)
--- 10/14: MysterioMan007 - The Mummy's Curse (1944) / The House That Screamed (1969) / Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
--- 10/15: rbrown498 - One Cut of the Dead (2017)
--- 10/16: numbercrunch - Final Exam (1981)
--- 10/17: Shack - The Fury (1978)
--- 10/18: ororama - God Told Me To (1976)
--- 10/19: Darkgod - The Prey (1983)
--- 10/20: Chad - Viy (1967)
--- 10/21: JAX036 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
--- 10/22: Darth Maher - Audition (1999)
--- 10/23: clckorang - Us (2019)
--- 10/24: Undeadcow - Nina Forever (2015)
--- 10/25: Gobear - Society (1989)
--- 10/26: cwileyy - Death Spa (1989)
--- 10/27: coyoteblue - The Seventh Curse (1986)
--- 10/28: orlmac - The Vault of Horror (1973)
--- 10/29: arw6040 - Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)
--- 10/30: mallratcal - Mausoleum (1983)
--- 10/31: jacob_b - House of 1000 Corpses (1987)

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

T
H
E
M
E

N
I
G
H
T
S

F
I
L
M

S
U
B
S
E
T

E
X
P
A
N
D
E
D

C
H
E
C
K
L
I
S
T

COPY & PASTE INTO YOUR LIST USING A SPOILER TAG

Code:
Select 10 actors:
--- Abigail Breslin -
--- Clancy Brown -
--- Peter Cushing -
--- John Carradine -
--- Charles Durning -
--- Sid Haig -
--- Doug Jones -
--- Boris Karloff -
--- Klaus Kinski -
--- Christopher Lee -
--- Bela Lugosi -
--- Richard Lynch - 
--- Michael Moriarty -
--- Bruce Payne -
--- Ted Raimi -
--- Oliver Reed -
--- Eric Roberts -
--- Felissa Rose -
--- Dominique Swain -   
--- Billy Zane -        

Select 2 film composers:
--- Joseph Bishara - 
--- Elisabeth Lutyens - 
--- Lalo Schifrin -
--- Shirley Walker -  

Select 5 directors:
--- James Bressack -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Terrence Fisher -
--- Adam Green -
--- Peter Jackson -
--- Franck Khalfoun -
--- Ryûhei Kitamura -
--- Deon Taylor -
--- Rob Zombie -
--- Watch a Movie Directed By a Female Director -

Select 2 makeup effects artists:
--- Al Magliochetti -
--- Mike Measimer -
--- Michelle Sfarzo -
--- Michael Spatola -

Select 2 producers:
--- Nate Bolotin -
--- Brad Fuller -
--- Enrique Lopez Lavigne -
--- Trevor Macy -

Select 2 writers:
--- Robert Bloch -
--- Jeff Buhler -
--- Jamie Nash -
--- Wesley Strick - 

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on 
25 Weird Horror Movies -
--- Based on a True Story -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Cannibalism - 
--- Cinema Inspired By: Bram Stoker -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
--- Cryptid Cinema -
--- Death by: Silver Bullet -
--- Diary / Journal - 
--- Director or Writer Cameo in Own Film / Film Adaptation, 2
--- Distributor / Studio: Mondo Macabro -
--- Documentary -
--- Drunk Horror -
--- Euro Horror - 
--- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space -
--- Film From Someone Else's 'Best of' List - 
--- Film From TCM October 2019 Schedule -
--- Film Title Drop -
--- Flashback Horror -
--- Folk Horror - 
--- From a Basil Gogos Painting - 
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein - 
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- Ouija Board -
--- Kaiju / Giant Monster - 
--- K-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: Thailand -
--- Nazi -
--- Nepotism Dynasty -
--- OHMC 15th Anniversary Watch: 2005 - 
--- One-Word Titles - 
--- Prom -
--- Phobias -
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Scarecrows -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Shot in Bronson Canyon - 
--- Takes Place in a Hospital - 
--- Takes Place on a Farm -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Television -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- Wilhelm Scream -
--- With Commentary -
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch 3 films that you've never seen before that:
--- Stars a Baldwin (Daniel, Stephen, William) -
--- Features time travel -
--- Was made in the 1970s -
--- Features a giant insect - 
--- Was written by H.G. Wells -
--- Features a character who has a premonition -
--- Has a scene in a morgue -
--- Was shot in Alabama -
--- Is listed on the Film Registry of the National Film Preservation Board -
--- Takes place at a castle -
--- Features a vampire hunter -

Watch 1 film with a recently deceased personality:
--- Recently deceased list -

Watch 1 of your OHMC "favorites":
--- The Carrier (1988) -
--- Shakma (1990) -
--- The Killer Tongue (1996) -
--- The House by the Cemetery (1981) -
--- Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) -
--- Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1981) -
--- Hobgoblins (1988) -
--- Microwave Massacre (1983) -
--- Killer Condom (1996) -

Select 6 decades of film history:
--- Pre-1930 - 
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Select 3 from the following horror film tropes:
--- The Feline Fright -
--- "Let's Split Up" -
--- The Mirror Scare -
--- The Suddenly Undependable Vehicle -
--- The Invincible Killer -
--- Dream Scares -
--- Mythology Exposition -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1944 (75th) -
--- 1969 (50th) - 
--- 1994 (25th) –

Select 1 from the following anniversaries:
--- 30th Anniversary of USA Up All Night -
--- 40th Anniversary of Fangoria Magazine -
--- 40th Anniversary of Svengoolie - 
--- 45th Anniversary of Troma Entertainment-
--- 85th Anniversary of Hammer Films -
--- 100th Birthday of Donald Pleasence -

Select 4 ratings:
--- G - 
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 - 
--- X - 
--- Unrated - 
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.): 
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Comic Book or Graphic Novel (insert title). OPTIONAL
--- Read a Horror Magazine (insert title). OPTIONAL

_________________________________________________________________________________________

* = CAN ALSO BE VIEWED IN 2D.

IMDB ADVANCED TITLE SEARCH

Spoiler:
One film could fill multiple items.
Example: Dracula would fill one for decade, rating, actor, vampire, based on novel, and maybe others as well.
Use a * to mark first time viewings.
Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.

E
X
P
A
N
D
E
D

C
H
E
C
K
L
I
S
T

Last edited by Chad; 09-28-19 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Reserved 3.
Old 08-25-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a few things...

• Sorry for the appearance of the first post. The January 2019 forum update killed the formatting and I salvaged what I could.

• The links aren't yet updated. That'll come in time.

• If the banner looks a little rough around the edges, well, that's because it's not fully complete. Right now the emphasis is on getting the pre-challenge lists done, but hopefully I can slick and polish it up a bit later.

Last edited by Chad; 08-27-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Getting closer.....
Old 08-25-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine
Old 08-25-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I can’t wait.
Old 08-26-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I discovered last week that Spotify has a lot of paranormal and horror podcasts. Lately I’ve been working my way through one called Paranormal Almanac. Just do a search for paranormal or horror podcasts respectively.
Old 08-26-19, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

List
Old 08-26-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Comet TV just got added to my Sling package, and it's got some interesting stuff the past few weeks.
Old 08-26-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, Chad, but this ISN'T the list thread, correct? I know that it's usually a separate thread, and I didn't want people clamoring to try to get their lists on the first page when that thread hasn't even been posted yet.
Old 08-26-19, 08:44 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

If that is the actual "poster" then I am in a world of hurt trying to figure out those images.
Old 08-26-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Comet TV just got added to my Sling package, and it's got some interesting stuff the past few weeks.
Last night I watched Diary Of A Madman on Comet.
Old 08-26-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So excited, as always!
Old 08-26-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orlmac
If that is the actual "poster" then I am in a world of hurt trying to figure out those images.
I usually do the bare minimum when it comes to the poster contest. SO many images.
I love the big reveal though. It's like "oh, I should have gotten that one! And that one too!!"
Old 08-26-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I discovered last week that Spotify has a lot of paranormal and horror podcasts. Lately I’ve been working my way through one called Paranormal Almanac. Just do a search for paranormal or horror podcasts respectively.
I listened to a podcast about Disney's Haunted Mansion a couple of weeks ago. That really got me in the mood.
Old 08-26-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Chad - go into "User CP" - "Edit Options" - and change your editor (in the Miscellaneous Options at the bottom - Message Editor Interface) to "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" and you'll get back the ability to do things as before.
Old 08-26-19, 02:26 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Very cool. We're almost there. I almost reserved my spot too.
I've got movies pulled out already and started on a spreadsheet matching up themes, subsets, and movies I'd like to include; even though subsets aren't finalized there's something some interesting recommendation in the mix and it's nice to know of some theme movies that are streaming even if not subset.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-26-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 02:35 PM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

For those of you reserving spots...this isn't the list thread. It's still just a general discussion thread.

You'll want to wait on the list thread to claim your spots.
Old 08-26-19, 02:40 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

There are still a few subset volunteer spots needed - check the planning thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...checklist.html
Not sure that's been mentioned in here.
Old 08-26-19, 03:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm so ready for October! My favorite time of year and my favorite movies. There's nothing better.
Old 08-26-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I usually do the bare minimum when it comes to the poster contest. SO many images.
I love the big reveal though. It's like "oh, I should have gotten that one! And that one too!!"
I found a new high res image source and went a wee bit crazy. And there might be a few more coming, that is, if I ever find time to complete it.

And I actually remembered to write everything down this year, so I'll list everything afterward.

Oh, and just for the record, I didn't intentionally do a "things crawling out of a TV" theme for the third consecutive year. It just sort of happened. I guess it's actually appropriate for this year considering we have a sub-theme covering it.
Old 08-26-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498
For those of you reserving spots...this isn't the list thread. It's still just a general discussion thread.

You'll want to wait on the list thread to claim your spots.
Yeah, I was just reserving spots for the optional lists I put on post 2 and the extra "just in case" post like I do every year. I'll have the list thread up around the same time as last year, which was 9/1.
Old 08-26-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Chad - go into "User CP" - "Edit Options" - and change your editor (in the Miscellaneous Options at the bottom - Message Editor Interface) to "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" and you'll get back the ability to do things as before.
I actually already have. It was considerably worse than it is now, and it was a chore just getting it back to the current state. In fact, you can see how bad it was with the pre-2018 challenges. I'll try to get it back to its former glory when I do the TCM schedule and link updates.

My main problem now is figuring out how to get the text editor in Firefox to stop constantly graying out.
Old 08-26-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
There are still a few subset volunteer spots needed - check the planning thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...checklist.html
Not sure that's been mentioned in here.
Yes, please consider volunteering for a subset spot if you haven't ...six spots currently left. I hope to be able to skip right to the final phase of the process, which involves assigning someone one theme (or just pick one) and you give subset suggestions based on that. I'm be revealing that very soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.