DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

Columbia House Sale Offer Codes, Part V

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Columbia House Sale Offer Codes, Part V

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The *best* recent numbers indicate BR at only 17% of total sales and that sales actually declined by a far larger margin than DVD in late January (43.5% vs. 11.2%).
I'm not going to get into a pissing match over this (as the point of my post was not to prove BD is going gangbusters), but you are using two articles that are OVER A YEAR OLD for your statistics, really? Both of those links are to stories from January 2009...

Even then, adoption rates are *far* below that of DVD for the same time frame following intruduction.
That article contains significant factual errors, so I have a hard time taking it serious....it says BD players were introduced in the US in 2003?? Try 2006!

Unless you have actual numbers from CH sales to indicate "regular customers of CH over the years have now moved on to BD and no longer have any interest in purchasing any DVDs" I don't see their sales numbers being much different than B&M.
I don't need sales numbers from CH to make the statement I did...I said "many people who used to be regular customers at CH have moved onto BD and no longer have any interest in buying DVDs"....just look through threads and posts in this forum and you can see this...I am not the only one here who has specifically stated this...there are some users of this very site who no longer will bother with the CH "process" as it is since they have switched their purchases and interests over to the BD format...
Old 02-27-10, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
That makes no sense at all...
Many people who used to be regular customers of CH over the years have now moved on to BD and no longer have any interest in purchasing any DVDs....the overall sales for DVDs are shrinking, while the BD market is growing.....plus the prices of BDs have really begun to fall off compared to where they were just a couple years ago....let's not even mention how DVDs have become so dirt cheap from regular retailers that CH doesn't even offer the best deals on a lot of titles anymore....
It would be in Columbia House's best interest to strike while the iron is hot, as they are really missing out on new revenue opportunities....
It makes perfect sense because the ONLY way to join CH is to choose and pay for non blu-ray titles. And there are still large numbers of titles people buy for their commitment that are not offered or available in blu-ray.
Old 02-27-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hotchickinHD
It makes perfect sense because the ONLY way to join CH is to choose and pay for non blu-ray titles. And there are still large numbers of titles people buy for their commitment that are not offered or available in blu-ray.

What does any of that have to do with them making and offering a Blu-ray Club??
Old 02-27-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over this (as the point of my post was not to prove BD is going gangbusters), but you are using two articles that are OVER A YEAR OLD for your statistics, really? Both of those links are to stories from January 2009...
OOPS! I did a quick google looking for actual numbers and those were high on the list. I failed to notice the year! BUT it's not really much better this year. 15% for the 2009 Holiday season ending Jan 3rd 2010. Homemedia Magazine shows the Total Package media sales percentages for the week ending Feb 21 as 92% DVD/8% BR. You also have to take into account that those numbers show an increase of BR sales compared to a year ago, a larger increase than "standard" DVD, but still nothing spectacular.
That article contains significant factual errors, so I have a hard time taking it serious....it says BD players were introduced in the US in 2003?? Try 2006!
Factual errors notwithstanding, there is still significantly less penetration than DVD during the same time frame following product introduction.
I don't need sales numbers from CH to make the statement I did...I said "many people who used to be regular customers at CH have moved onto BD and no longer have any interest in buying DVDs"....just look through threads and posts in this forum and you can see this...I am not the only one here who has specifically stated this...there are some users of this very site who no longer will bother with the CH "process" as it is since they have switched their purchases and interests over to the BD format...
And that comment was what truly precipitated my response and a quick look for numbers...

You see, people on this forum are not a true barometer of the general buying public. Most of the people here are on the bleeding edge of technology. Just because *they* are no longer interested in DVD doesn't mean much as far as "Joe 6-Pack" is concerned. Until the "average" purchaser is buying more BR than DVD you'll most likely not see a BR only club. So, yes, you *do* need numbers from CH showing BR vs. DVD sales before you make such a blanket statement. As I stated before, if CH can make a buck on a BR club they'll start one but not before.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-27-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 08:37 PM

Newbs ...
Old 02-27-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Due to lizard's suggestion, I have taken my reply to this discussion to a more appropriate thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10023221-post1025.html

Last edited by WMAangel; 02-28-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

and here I thought this was a thread about Columbia House Sale Offer Codes... wow... I guess I was mistaken..
Old 02-28-10, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ ditto, Can we take this discussion elsewhere, and leave this thread to offer codes as intended? This discussion is not helping anyone.
Old 02-28-10, 04:51 AM
Cool New Member

I dont understand whats that matter with some of you people. I'm a new member to this forum and this threads not making a good impression over the last few pages. I hopped on here to see it extended to almost page 49, excited and hoping for some codes and code feedback, turns out its just a whine session. I don't mean any disrespect to either of you, but knock it off for crying out loud. Who cares which is outselling which? If you think that CH is horrible without BD deals, then don't bother with them! Regardless of what they offer, its still a good deal for us movie lovers. Nobody cares about either of your opinions.

People claim CH is so horrible and not worth it in the long run. Well I beg to differ. I was never a member of CH in the prime days where they offered ridiculous codes every week (so i've read on these forums). I had honestly never heard of CH up until a week or so ago.

I just made two accounts over the weekend. I got 6 DVD's for $12 ($1 each plus shipping over two enrollment packages) and did two of the 3 for $60 blu ray deals to fulfill each account. I also used the BOGO code to get a free additional DVD with each of my two blu ray orders. Overall, I ended up with 8 DVD's and 6 Blu Ray movies for a total of $144. I don't know about you but thats an average of about $10 a movie with shipping included. Pretty fucking impressive considering 6 of those were blu rays. If I walked into Best Buy or Target and bought the Blu Ray movies I just got, those six alone would have costed me nearly $135-140 when you include tax (all new releases). So basically, even with CH's outrageous shipping and not so appealing "deals..." I managed to pay what I would in store if not a tad less for my Blu Rays, while basically getting 8 other great DVD's for free! So suck it up all you complainers, if you don't like the new CH then get out of this thread.

Now can we please get back to the promo codes that's supposed to be the actual topic of discussion here?
Old 02-28-10, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ ^ ^

While understanding that you got a good deal for your 14 movies, don't be so hard on us "whiners".

Your "deal" was a membership deal. Unless CH has drastically changed their enrollment policy to include new releases, your enrollment selections were movies that have been out for several months. It's also a 'one-time' deal that you can only repeat when you recycle accounts by canceling & rejoining. You might not be so pleased when you see what sort of deals are available if you try to buy as a regular member. Sure, if you're used to paying $20+ for BD, this deal is appealing. However, consider the following:

Long-time members are displeased because we previously could get the type of deal you're talking about on a fairly regular basis...and the BOGO DVD selections could be new releases, special editions, etc.

It's great that you got a good deal, and it's likely that many current members will do the same type of thing if CH doesn't offer better deals for their current members. I used to recycle accounts regularly, too, but CH had improved their deals to the point that I had quit doing that & remained a loyal customer who frequently bought DVDs from them. Being able to get the latest releases at an affordable price, together with the BOGO deals coupled with box set deals, BD deals, etc. was enticing enough to convince me to keep my membership. It was a lot less hassle for me & allowed me to keep current with releases as well as benefiting CH.

Membership deals have always been available from clubs such as CH, but many of us prefer a club that offers enough good deals that one doesn't have to go through the constant account recycling process.
Old 02-28-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

** I would like to state that I'm sorry about going OT and then fanning the fire. **

I allowed a very general/blanket type OT comment to get me riled up to the point of responding. Those of you who frequent the CH forums know that I typically don't allow that to happen and am usually one of the first to ask that it be taken elsewhere.

Again, I apologize. It won't happen again.
Old 02-28-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For Looney Tunes fans looking to fulfill (assuming the pricing rules have not changed with the new site design).

CH has the 2 new "Looney Tunes Super Stars" titles (the line that's replacing the Golden Collections) "Daffy Duck - Frustrated Fowl" and "Bugs Bunny - Hare Extraordinaire" up for pre-order at $16.95/ea.

Using the B1G1 code (or just the one that might already be on your account):

2010022548HSPT1T

These will let you get a $19.95 title "free" and offset the total shipping by $3 due to the pre-order discount. Not quite as good as free shipping, but close. The main drawback is you would have to do 2 orders as the B1G1 is a single instance type.
Old 02-28-10, 05:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by creekdipper
^ ^ ^

While understanding that you got a good deal for your 14 movies, don't be so hard on us "whiners".

Your "deal" was a membership deal. Unless CH has drastically changed their enrollment policy to include new releases, your enrollment selections were movies that have been out for several months. It's also a 'one-time' deal that you can only repeat when you recycle accounts by canceling & rejoining. You might not be so pleased when you see what sort of deals are available if you try to buy as a regular member. Sure, if you're used to paying $20+ for BD, this deal is appealing. However, consider the following:

Long-time members are displeased because we previously could get the type of deal you're talking about on a fairly regular basis...and the BOGO DVD selections could be new releases, special editions, etc.

It's great that you got a good deal, and it's likely that many current members will do the same type of thing if CH doesn't offer better deals for their current members. I used to recycle accounts regularly, too, but CH had improved their deals to the point that I had quit doing that & remained a loyal customer who frequently bought DVDs from them. Being able to get the latest releases at an affordable price, together with the BOGO deals coupled with box set deals, BD deals, etc. was enticing enough to convince me to keep my membership. It was a lot less hassle for me & allowed me to keep current with releases as well as benefiting CH.

Membership deals have always been available from clubs such as CH, but many of us prefer a club that offers enough good deals that one doesn't have to go through the constant account recycling process.
I see what your saying. Like I said I was never a member in the past so I don't know how much better/worse it has gotten in comparison to then. I do agree that the CH DVD deals are garbage which is why I fulfilled both accounts using the Blu Ray deals. Most DVD's can be found on amazon for under $10 so CH is a total rip off in most cases. I was rather pleased with how mine worked out with the Blu Rays, dont think I would have done it any other way in my opinion. I only closed one of the accounts, im gonna leave my first one open just to see what I can get out of it. I wish these free shipping codes i've heard so much about would come back, then DVD buying may be worth it. All I was saying was that even without a Blu Ray club, you can still benefit tremendously with Blu Ray purchases on CH if you "play the system" and are ok with getting all those DVD's as a perk. No, the 8 that I got weren't all new releases but they were still some great movies i'm more than happy to have (Slumdog Millionaire, Little Miss Sunshine, The Departed, American Gangster, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Patch Adams, 28 Weeks Later, and Inglorious Bastards). I could have boughten the same new release Blu Rays at Best Buy for what I paid to CH but I wouldn't have gotten any of those along with it.

Last edited by josbor11; 02-28-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-10, 08:39 PM

I beg everyone to please take these columbia house MEMBERSHIP DVD prices discussion to another thread.

This thread is about CODES ONLY. Thanks
Old 03-01-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another b1g1 anniversary code - 20100301AET3D
Old 03-01-10, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

nice. seems like we've had at least one of these in effect for almost 2+ weeks now. im still crossing my fingers for a shipping code.
Old 03-02-10, 11:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by thejester
Another b1g1 anniversary code - 20100301AET3D
Thanks again Jester!
Old 03-03-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had this code at the bottom of my email yesterday, not sure if it's an actual code or not. If anyone wants to try to crack it...

20100302DVDNewReleaseT1
Old 03-03-10, 02:38 PM
Cool New Member

I just fulfilled my TV account with Leon: The Professional Blu-ray using a b1g1 code to get The Hangover Unrated for free. It was priced at $18.71 after the automatic 25% off blu-ray. The price is below the $19.95 price mark that I thought purchases had to be to qualify. Does anyone know if this was a glitch? Or is it because the regular club price was $24.95, and it was an automatic 25% deduction in price?
Old 03-03-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^It's because the regular club price is $24.95. This was normal with the old site and appears to be SOP on the new as well. Unlike DMC a % off that reduces the "regular" price ($19.95 or above) below the $19.95 minimum doesn't stop the title from counting as a fulfillment.
Old 03-03-10, 09:14 PM
Cool New Member

^Thanks BobO'Link. Well if that is the case then anyone needing to fulfill their TV account with dvd's there is a automatic 40% off TV and and movies. The b1g1 stacks with this, so with shipping the total for two dvd's should be under $20.
Old 03-04-10, 03:18 AM
Cool New Member

anyone think the 3 for $60 blu ray deal will really end on the specified date? i wonder if something better will show up afterwards
Old 03-04-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josbor11
anyone think the 3 for $60 blu ray deal will really end on the specified date? i wonder if something better will show up afterwards
What is the specified date? I didn't know there was one... I hope something good comes along SOON cuz I have to fulfill by the end of the month. I might get screwed if I wait til the last minute...
Old 03-04-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
What is the specified date? I didn't know there was one... I hope something good comes along SOON cuz I have to fulfill by the end of the month. I might get screwed if I wait til the last minute...

Hurry, these special offers are only available until March 8, 2010 at 11:59 pm EST! Offer is only available on titles in this specialty shop.
Old 03-04-10, 12:46 PM

how can you tell if it's going to count as a fulfillment? i added friday night lights the first season at $17.99 and there's nothing to suggest that it will or won't count.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.