DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

FilmJunkie29 04-01-11 04:18 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Recently picked up at the Peoria, IL location:

Wonder Showzen Season 2
Kath and Kim: Season One
Worst Week: Complete Series
Land of the Lost: Season 3
Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 1
One False Move
Don't Look Now (They had several copies of this one)

Still no "Brown Bunny" copies in the area.

Shinobi 04-01-11 05:57 AM

Lots of Brown Bunny discs here. But no Krull yet! :grunt:

mythmaker18 04-01-11 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 10705065)
Watch out before someone complains to Big Lots about "Brown Bunny" and they pull it!

Anyone buying this who didn't know what to expect would get bored and turn it off way before "that" scene ever occurs.

They'd probably switch off during some of that overlong highway-driving footage.

If they complained to Big Lots, it'd more likely be that the film was a colossal bore, not that it has a real BJ at the end.

bobwil54 04-01-11 03:17 PM

My main store I go to didn't have crap. Nothing new except a 50 inch plasma and Florida/Florida St Fatheads. Very disappointing considering its been a month since I last went there.

berigan 04-01-11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by byriver50 (Post 10703424)
I picked up "Mogambo" and "Crossfire" at the East Greenbush NY store yesterday. The MGM/WB classics still show up occasionally.

I assume you mean the 1947 Crossfire, with 3 Roberts??? Cool! Checking amazon, it looks like it may not be in print anymore (A reseller is the one listed at $12.49, fullfilled by amazon) at least not to buy outside of the box set.

Surfinhank 04-01-11 10:39 PM

If you're in SoCal, there's nothing new at the NoHO store on Sherman Way or the Van Nuys store on Sepulveda so save your gas.

MooMooMooMoo 04-02-11 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bobwil54 (Post 10705889)
My main store I go to didn't have crap. Nothing new except a 50 inch plasma and Florida/Florida St Fatheads. Very disappointing considering its been a month since I last went there.

Details on the 50" Plasma?? Fred Meyer (Kroger) here had a new (not refurb) 2010 model Samsung 720 p 50" plasma a couple weeks back for $529. If I'd had the $'s..........

bobwil54 04-02-11 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10706684)
Details on the 50" Plasma?? Fred Meyer (Kroger) here had a new (not refurb) 2010 model Samsung 720 p 50" plasma a couple weeks back for $529. If I'd had the $'s..........

The only thing I remember is that it was a Sanyo and I believe $484 or something around that price. There was no box around or any info on the tv.

wdavetex 04-02-11 01:21 PM

Tyler, Tx has two Big Lots, but they handle a lot of the same stuff. Nothing new here to report. I'm keeping my eye out for Trekkie and Krull. I saw the Coppolla-Dracula, Cimmarron, Drawn Together, Gunfight At OK Corral, City Slickers, RiffTrax: Missle to the Moon, Night of Living Dead, Twin Peaks S2, but nothing I was interested in. I might end up getting City Slickers.

TxFan31 04-02-11 04:03 PM

wdavetex, I am also from East Texas, and I haven't been able to track down a copy of Trekkies either. If I do, I'll let you know. I know where the one Big Lots is in Tyler, across from the mall, but where is the other one at?

rmw650 04-02-11 07:53 PM

They can't give Twin Peaks S2 away at these stores. I see them all over the place here in the Chicagoland and suburban areas.

byriver50 04-02-11 08:31 PM

It is indded the 1947 "Crossfire," with commentary and a 9-minute mini-documentary to boot. I saw it there two weeks ago, waffled on it then read of its history and the controversy surrounding it and went back and grabbed it.

JohnnyMovie 04-02-11 11:24 PM

nice bunch there yesterday and got:

Stir Crazy (1980) FINALLY!!! (but it different art cover and upgrade with widescreen)
Nick of Time (1995) (there 2 different art cover and I choose with blue background)

deathbystereo 04-03-11 04:00 AM

TxFan31, the other Big Lots in Tyler is on Beckham Ave., next to that crappy shoe store. I was just there tonight, and grabbed Rifftrax: Night of the Living Dead.

FiendCameron 04-03-11 04:27 AM

picked up Stephen King's Graveyard Shift for $3. Otherwise the Moreno Valley, CA store has the usual crap. I wish they'd get Twin Peaks S1 so I could actually watch the series :(

wdavetex 04-03-11 12:29 PM

TxFan31--deathbystereo is correct, the other Big Lots is on Beckham ave. off 5th Street (I believe--it's over by the Mother Frances hospital district). It's easier to get in and out of that store location, but they don't handle as many DVDs as the store over by the mall area.

Here's some of the other DVDs that I ran across while browsing: I picked up the Greystoke: Legend of Tarzan DVD. They also had: Rachael Getting Married, Alife, Crank Yankers S2, Children of a Lesser God, Hollywood Ending, Volver, Strangers With Candy series 3, Frost/Nixon, Wonder Showzen S2, Milk, Andy Milonakis from MTV, and House of Wax w/ Hilton--I'd of bought that had it been the original with Vincent Price.

While in the store off Beckham I noticed a big basket of cutout books, the ones w/ a purple tag on them were fifty cents each. I notice a book in it called: Prince of Stories, The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman, w/ Hank Wagner, Christopher Golden & Stephen R. Bissette, & Neil Gaiman too. I chronicles the complete (well, as to date as they could get--it goes up to his current era) works of Gaiman from films, movies, books, music, comics, a bunch of interviews w/Gaiman and his collaborators. A pretty nice book for fifty cents.

Manzana 04-03-11 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10707361)
They can't give Twin Peaks S2 away at these stores. I see them all over the place here in the Chicagoland and suburban areas.

Even funnier is that each time I've been to my store they still had copies of Twin Peaks S2 marked at $6 along with ones marked $10. If they aren't selling at $6, they're not going to sell at $10. It's been almost a month since I was there last, so it's about time to go again. I rarely make special trips because in my area I rarely find the specific titles I'm looking for like Ren & Stimpy Lost Episodes for $3.

I also need to go because I bought 2 DVDs during the last 20% off sale... Boogeyman 2 and 3. Then I read the reviews and they say they're both pretty bad, so I'll return them right before the time limit. I only grabbed them because I thought the first one was OK (worth $3).

ProfessorEcho 04-03-11 05:06 PM

A whole lotta nothin' at the Culver City, CA store. Unless you are desperate to see a ton of those six buck Nickelodeon sets that are attracting flies at this point.

Many copies of THE STRANGE ONE, THE RUINS, THE DESCENT and THE LOVE GURU (did anyone buy this at MSRP? Has anyone bought it at BL? If so, why?). One copy of OLIVER, but the shrink wrap was gone and so was the CD inside. Not much of anything else that has been reported.

Looking for ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, but doubt we will see it here in SoCal.

MTRodaba2468 04-03-11 05:43 PM

Most recent grabs:

The Busby Berkeley Collection: Vol. 2
Upright Citizens Brigade: Season 2
The Brown Bunny
Black Sunday (John Frankenheimer film)
American Teen
The Education Of Charlie Banks

kd5 04-03-11 05:56 PM

I made it over to the BL in Austintown Ohio yesterday, they had absolutely squat. The last time I was there they had a floor display as well as their regular square wire rack, this time the floor display was gone and all that was left was the wire rack which had the same old shit they've had for the last year or so. Back to lame...:sad:

Went to the local BL here in Boardman a couple of days ago, they had a few new small box displays sitting on top the floor displays, but nothing that interested me beyond the Dracula DVD I picked up on the 31st. -kd5-

SterlingBen 04-03-11 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10708300)
Many copies of THE STRANGE ONE, THE RUINS, THE DESCENT and THE LOVE GURU (did anyone buy this at MSRP? Has anyone bought it at BL? If so, why?).

I bought it, at BL because I used to be smitten with J. Alba. And while that might have faded a bit, you never really get over her.

MooMooMooMoo 04-03-11 07:56 PM

Wa state:
1. Pearl St, Tacoma: Nothing This week
2. Bridgeport, Tacoma: I saw nothing new; it's possible it wasn't out yet
3. Federal Way Looked like nothing new this past week, though I haven't been there in awhile. Only item I hadn't seen elsewhere was Mod Squad S1P2 $10. Also had several Talking Heads Stop Making Sense & several Stripes. Lots of $5 & $6 titles still laying around also.

Alan Smithee 04-03-11 10:33 PM

I bought the Flexplay DVD of The Love Guru for 99 cents, along with all the other titles they had at Staples when they were clearing them out. I transferred them to non-expiring discs. :)

Speaking of which, Flexplay's website is still up, but they haven't added any new titles in a LONG time.

lostboys323 04-04-11 03:27 AM

Hit up a couple of big lots stores here In LA and bought the following titles.

$3 Titles:

King Of Texas
Narrow Margin
The Bank Job (2008)
Red Mist
For Your Eyes Only
Stripes (Extended Cut)
Into The Sun
A Minute To Pray A Second To Die
The Killing Time
Shadowless Sword
Cutthroat Island
It Waits
New York New York (30th Anniversary 2 disc edition)
True Stories
Fail Safe (2000)
Drawn Together season 1
The Brown Bunny
Malcolm X
United 93
Drunken Master
21 Grams
Highlander The Search For Vengeance
The Point Men
Semi-Pro (2 Disc Unrated Edition)

$5 Titles:

Sci-fi Six Pack Collectors Set (Prey Of The Jaguar (1996)/Future Zone (1990)/ Space Mutiny (1988)/Future Force (1989)/Firehead 1991)/Conspiracy Of Fear (1997)

Horror Six Pack Collector's Set (Prom Night (1980)/The Nurse (1997)/Skeleton Man (2004)/The Howling IV:The Original Nightmare (1988)/Vampire Wars:Battle For The Universe (2005)/Ghoulies IV (1994)

Lastdaysofrain 04-04-11 08:08 AM

I saw a batch of "Martini Movies" at the Danvers, MA store, but sadly not the one I wanted "Vibes"