DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

Mickactual 04-04-11 09:35 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Just got back from the Clifton NJ store. Fairly decent restock there, though very little of interest to me personally.

I BOUGHT:
Sex And Death 101
MTV Wuthering Heights

ALSO SAW:
Hard Candy [slipcase]
The Descent [slipcase]
Spiral [Zachary Levi / Tricia Helfer]
Sleep Walking
Surfer Dude
Cutthroat Island [slipcase]
Flashbacks Of A Fool
The Education Of Charlie Banks
The New Centurions
Lipstick Jungle S1
The One And Only [Henry Winkler]
The President's Analyst [James Coburn]
MTV Wildboyz S1
Nora Roberts "Northern Lights"
Nora Roberts "Midnight Bayou"
Nora Roberts "Carolina Moon"
Nora Roberts "Blue Smoke"
Balls Out [Seann William Scott]

Oh yeah - and TONS of Twin Peaks S2
:lol:

SterlingBen 04-04-11 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by FiendCameron (Post 10707710)
picked up Stephen King's Graveyard Shift for $3. Otherwise the Moreno Valley, CA store has the usual crap. I wish they'd get Twin Peaks S1 so I could actually watch the series :(

It is way, way out of print, so don't be expecting it to pop up at big lots.

berigan 04-05-11 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mickactual (Post 10710397)
Just got back from the Clifton NJ store. Fairly decent restock there, though very little of interest to me personally.

I BOUGHT:
Sex And Death 101
MTV Wuthering Heights

ALSO SAW:
Hard Candy [slipcase]
The Descent [slipcase]
Spiral [Zachary Levi / Tricia Helfer]
Sleep Walking
Surfer Dude
Cutthroat Island [slipcase]
Flashbacks Of A Fool
The Education Of Charlie Banks
The New Centurions
Lipstick Jungle S1
The One And Only [Henry Winkler]
The President's Analyst [James Coburn]
MTV Wildboyz S1
Nora Roberts "Northern Lights"
Nora Roberts "Midnight Bayou"
Nora Roberts "Carolina Moon"
Nora Roberts "Blue Smoke"
Balls Out [Seann William Scott]

Oh yeah - and TONS of Twin Peaks S2
:lol:

The President's Analyst is a very good movie....

That'sAllFolks 04-05-11 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10708064)
Even funnier is that each time I've been to my store they still had copies of Twin Peaks S2 marked at $6 along with ones marked $10. If they aren't selling at $6, they're not going to sell at $10. It's been almost a month since I was there last, so it's about time to go again. I rarely make special trips because in my area I rarely find the specific titles I'm looking for like Ren & Stimpy Lost Episodes for $3.

I also need to go because I bought 2 DVDs during the last 20% off sale... Boogeyman 2 and 3. Then I read the reviews and they say they're both pretty bad, so I'll return them right before the time limit. I only grabbed them because I thought the first one was OK (worth $3).

You could check more recent receipts for the same BL SKU and return those 2 under newer receipts. Often BL will use the same SKU for a month or so of DVD releases. Right now, there are two for $3: a MGM one and another one. Unless it's been sitting in their stacks for a while, it's probably the more generic one ...

EDIT: Did find Hard Candy at my local one today. Great film. Too bad I saw it last month on Comcast on-demand in FUILLSCREEN. But I probably would have otherwise passed it over at BL , since I don't blind buy much horror. Still looking for Who Killed the Electric Car?. Outstanding documentary.

rmw650 04-05-11 08:24 PM

Went to the Diversey Avenue store in Chicago, IL and saw lots of TV ttitles ranging from S3, 7 and 8 of 7th Heaven, S3 of Mork and Mindy, S1 V2 of Cannon, yep, the Twin Peaks S2 set, Silverman S2 V2, Crank Yankers s1 and S2 V1, Coach S2, 90210 (the older show) S3, Hawaii 5-0 S3 & S5, Fear factor S1, Lipstick Jungle S1, Joe Schmow S1, Mencia S2 and S3 and a few Star Trek Next generation themed titles so not a bad haul considering a lot of these stores are running low on TV shows.

ADP 04-05-11 09:20 PM

Nothing at the Florence, SC store.

Very little at the North Myrtle Beach store.

SterlingBen 04-07-11 11:55 PM

Went on a road trip today and managed to hit 3 big lots a state over.

Still did not find Drawn Together or Rifftrax: Little Shop of Horrors!!!!!

Did bite on

Fifty Fifty (B action fare with Peter Weller and Robert Hays)
Protocol (Something silly with Goldie Hawn)
Ashes of Time Redux (Directed by Won Kar Wai)
Alone In The Dark (horror flick with Christian Slater & Tara Reid)
The Cottage (Brit horror)
Dickie Roberts Former Child Star (I have passed on this movie dozens of times previously but for some reason couldn't do so this time)
The Foot Fist Way (Danny McBride's breakout film)

Martini Movies
Passed on I want to say Garment Jungle
Bought:
Summertree (Michael Douglas)
Dollars (Warren Beatty & Goldie Hawn)

Also saw Bosom Buddies S2, passed on it due to not having S1.

The Big News is that 1 of the 3 stores I visited did NOT have andy Twin Peaks S2!

GR13 04-08-11 12:03 AM

Checked out Christiansburg store today, nothing new to report. I think I'll take a little break and check again in about a month.

jimmaxmed 04-08-11 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10715727)
The Big News is that 1 of the 3 stores I visited did NOT have andy Twin Peaks S2!

Since when did Twin Peaks become the new Joey ???

SterlingBen 04-08-11 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed (Post 10715915)
Since when did Twin Peaks become the new Joey ???

Black Friday 2010

Luther Heggs 04-08-11 01:13 PM

Finally found Hal Ashby's Lookin' To Get Out! along with The Strange One. There were some new Wellspring titles, but for $5. I would have gotten Open House (2004, the "real estate musical") and Reel Paradise if they were $3.

That'sAllFolks 04-08-11 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs (Post 10716350)
Finally found Hal Ashby's Lookin' To Get Out! along with The Strange One. There were some new Wellspring titles, but for $5. I would have gotten Open House (2004, the "real estate musical") and Reel Paradise if they were $3.

Reel Paradise is 3.00 on Amazon, so if you have prime it would actually be less than BL.

http://www.amazon.com/Reel-Paradise-...2289492&sr=8-2

rmw650 04-08-11 06:11 PM

And lots of Twin Peaks S2 to be had too, let me tell you.

Luther Heggs 04-08-11 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10716519)
Reel Paradise is 3.00 on Amazon, so if you have prime it would actually be less than BL.

http://www.amazon.com/Reel-Paradise-...2289492&sr=8-2

Ha! Thanks for the heads up.

Surfinhank 04-08-11 10:44 PM

Nothing new at the NoHo store on Sherman Way or the Van Nuys store on Sepulveda. It's been weeks since they've gotten anything new. In fact, the Van Nuys store is so low on stock they removed one of their floor pallet displays and replaced it with a table of books(!)

MrSmearkase 04-09-11 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs (Post 10716350)
There were some new Wellspring titles, but for $5. I would have gotten Open House (2004, the "real estate musical") and Reel Paradise if they were $3.

They're selling these separately now, and at $5 a pop? I got both in 3-packs for $3.

thetao 04-09-11 09:55 PM

Just returned from the Lancaster store, which received more stock in the last few days. I was surprised to find both Krull and My Own Worst Enemy. Perhaps I'll still find local copies of Dragonslayer or Don't Look Now? Need to remind myself that whatever warehouse BL's DVD's ship from, they don't hit every store simultaneously, like the Star Trek: Animated TV sets from before Christmas that seemed rare, but only for a couple weeks. I also noted copies of

Grand Hotel
Pan's Labyrinth: Two Disk Platinum Series
Blade: The Series

all in the $5 bin. They apparently sold enough of their kids titles (or finally gave up?) and moved the remainder into the wire display.

I visited the York store last weekend. They'd obviously received new stock, but still looked picked over. What struck me is they appear to have received an entire case (24 copies?) of the John Kerry/Lassie/something else 3-pack. The new Twin Peaks S2 ? My OCD got the better of me and I arranged them all neatly on one shelf. :)

Kevy 04-09-11 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by thetao (Post 10717943)
Just returned from the Lancaster store, which received more stock in the last few days. I was surprised to find both Krull and My Own Worst Enemy. Perhaps I'll still find local copies of Dragonslayer or Don't Look Now? Need to remind myself that whatever warehouse BL's DVD's ship from, they don't hit every store simultaneously, like the Star Trek: Animated TV sets from before Christmas that seemed rare, but only for a couple weeks. I also noted copies of

Grand Hotel
Pan's Labyrinth: Two Disk Platinum Series
Blade: The Series

all in the $5 bin. They apparently sold enough of their kids titles (or finally gave up?) and moved the remainder into the wire display.

I visited the York store last weekend. They'd obviously received new stock, but still looked picked over. What struck me is they appear to have received an entire case (24 copies?) of the John Kerry/Lassie/something else 3-pack. The new Twin Peaks S2 ? My OCD got the better of me and I arranged them all neatly on one shelf. :)

Don't Look Now is a title I'm hoping to find too.

JackieMoonsault 04-09-11 10:28 PM

Went to Big Lots in Mentor, OH and picked up:
Alone in the Dark ($3)
Cutthroat Island ($3)
The Freshman ($3)
Go: Special Edition ($3)
The Gumball Rally/Cannonball Run II ($6)
Impact ($3)
Into the Blue 2: The Reef: Unrated ($3)
L.A. Story ($3)
Wisegal ($3)

byriver50 04-09-11 10:32 PM

Would love to find Don't Look Now and Grand Hotel.

Bosom Buddies Season 2 as well...hate that they replaced the theme song on the DVDs, but the show holds up fairly well.

bobwil54 04-09-11 11:39 PM

Has anyone in the Tampa Bay area found Worst Week and My Own Worst Enemy? No luck at the Clearwater off belcher and Tarpon Springs. Thanks

AdamGott 04-10-11 12:48 PM

I picked the following up recently (all $3):

Que te ha daao ESA MUJER (Mexican comedy musical with subs, ?)
The Black Dahlia
Gumshoe
Sleepwalking
MAC
the grand
Highlander the Search For Vengeance
New York, New York (2 disc 30th Anniversary Edition)
Alone In the Dark
The Ninth Gate
SNL the Best of Dan Akroyd

seans515 04-10-11 09:08 PM

Went to SEVEN big lots on a recent road trip
and found 4 Movies...

-War and Peace
-Murder on the orient express
-Children of a lesser god
-Legend of the shadowless sword

Its becoming clear to me now that Big Lots is dying, I dont average finding ONE movie per visit.

U2Cowboy 04-11-11 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by seans515 (Post 10718895)
Its becoming clear to me now that Big Lots is dying, I dont average finding ONE movie per visit.

I've said that before, and just when I thought I was out ...

boc4ever 04-11-11 01:26 PM

I'm not as sure that Big Lots is dying as much as there are people who are going there everyday, hoarding the desirable titles, then trying to make money from them. Everytime something juicy pops up in this thread it seems it becomes difficult to find. I find it hard to believe that the quantities would vary so wildly between titles. I picture ebayers grabbing all 10 copies of Brown Bunny thinking they are sitting on a goldmine. Also, I think we have become pickier about blind buys. I used to walk out of there with a stack of about 20 dvds I knew little about. Now I may pick up 1 blind buy out of 5 titles total.