Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Keep in mind this is an A&E set which means they will overprint it and close it out all over the place (90% of thier stuff closes out within 3 months). Its thier MO, make the money and dump it.

Soon they will be selling lots of 50 on ebay like thier other stuff-

Just my 2 cents not ripping on the set, just the way A&E works. B
Old 12-14-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ I assume as much, but at $14.50 a season, it won't be too hard to overcome buyer's remorse if/when it goes lower.

Judging from some of their other product - even at closeout - I don't expect single copies of this set to go more than $20 under Amazon's current price.
Old 12-14-09, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmvtoys
Keep in mind this is an A&E set which means they will overprint it and close it out all over the place (90% of thier stuff closes out within 3 months). Its thier MO, make the money and dump it.

Soon they will be selling lots of 50 on ebay like thier other stuff-

Just my 2 cents not ripping on the set, just the way A&E works. B
Yes, but it also seems like A&E's MO is to initially overprice their stuff before dumping it. This latest batch of items (Farscape, Dr. Quinn, Homicide) started out discounted from the get go.

When previously released items (Dr. Quinn and Homicide) were dumped before they were going for similar prices as these are under their current discounts. In other words, this is not the same MO as the past, so don't expect the same results.
Old 12-14-09, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by bsmith
They also say they crammed 88 episodes in 26 disks that were once 48 disks. Well, I would ask what the heck required 48 disks to hold 88 one hour episode in the first place? Disk one contains 4 epsiodes and 4 commentaries. The commentaries take up very little space. That's about 200 minutes on a single side of a dual layer disk. Pretty standard if you ask me.
It is. I have to wonder how much of the comments are fueld by the knowledge that there are less discs. I initially said the same thing when they were first announced. But, anyone who checks the free disc space on any old Starburst DVD is going to find alot of free space remaining. It isn't like those Starburst discs were full at all. The original ADV releases were on DVD-9s, I believe, and that 2 epsiodes-per-disc (rarely 3 eps per disc) thing was just carried over to the Starburst discs. They used that extra disc space to add more extras, but I would venture to guess the video did not change in the least. Without someone looking at bit rates, it's highly speculative to say these are more compressed just because there are less discs.

It is silly that the missing extras aren't on the A&E sets. Especially given how small those are. Are they anything I would hold onto the Starburst sets for? Probably not. At least, out of the list given in the Digital Bits review, I'm having a hard time reconciling which of those are "great" extras. I'd rather have the "Farscape Undressed" special than what is listed as missing. The commentaries, docs, and deleted scenes are what was most important to me and those are all there.
Old 12-14-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

When previously released items (Dr. Quinn and Homicide) were dumped before they were going for similar prices as these are under their current discounts. In other words, this is not the same MO as the past, so don't expect the same results.
Exactly. The fact that they are offering the set for over 60% off during most of the first month of release seems like they are trying to sell a lot of these this holiday. I'm curious to see how the price levels out after Christmas.

I believe the cheapest the Dr. Quinn set has ever been was $55 last month. It was as a Daily Deal at DD - and only if you used the $5 off $25 coupon. I don't expect the Farscape set to go much lower within the next year.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-14-09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 12:34 AM

I'm in for one. I originally ordered this on Best Buy, but the online version at Best Buy does not include The Peacekeeper Wars. I read the fine print while I was sitting in my chair feeling disgruntled about never knowing when Best Buy was going to ship my backordered Farscape set, and figured out that all backorders can be canceled. So I called up Best Buy, waited a little more than an hour on the phone, and got my order canceled. When I bought the set from Best Buy for 65 + 6 dollars shipping it looked like a decent deal, that is until Amazon came out with 65 dollars for Farscape and The Peacekeeper Wars with the free shipping. Yeah man. I'm a happy guy. Thank goodness Best Buy doesn't have their s*** together and has it backordered.

Last edited by waterwizard2005; 12-16-09 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-16-09, 10:04 AM

I purchased from BB but my copy didn't have the PK wars. I then purchased from Walmart with bing cb and ended up with Farscape complete and PK wars for about ~$58 out the door. I won't complain about this.
Old 01-01-10, 12:21 PM

Bump

$63.99

http://www.amazon.com/Farscape-Compl...2370034&sr=8-1

Not to bad @ $16.00 per season

Barndoor67

Last edited by barndoor67; 01-01-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 11:45 AM

Anybody else having audio issues with this new set ? The 5.1 track seems to have low voices sometimes, but it is not a consistent problem so I wonder if I'm being overly critical.

A more annoying issue is that sometimes the voices echo.. or sound metallic, underwater or speaking-into-a-fan. I know that's not terribly useful as a descriptor but it's the best I can come up with. I've now listened to it on a computer as well as my dvd + receiver so I know it's not just somethign wrong with my speakers.
Old 03-01-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^From reviews I've read on several sites the audio remix is the most common complaint, especially the voices being lower in the mix. Yours is the first I recall reading of other abberations in the audio, but it's not really suprising considering what I've read. The *many* audio complaints is primarily what kept me from selling off my Starburst set to get the smaller shelf footprint with the new.
Old 03-01-10, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yours is the first I recall reading of other abberations in the audio, but it's not really suprising considering what I've read.
I could probably get all the starbursts off amazon marketplace for $120ish (that's what i saw last time i checked)..used.

I dunno. I might try and host a small clip of the dvds that exemplifies what I'm speaking about on youtube or somewhere so u guys can tell me if i'm crazy.. will see.
Old 03-02-10, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by zeez
I could probably get all the starbursts off amazon marketplace for $120ish (that's what i saw last time i checked)..used.

I dunno. I might try and host a small clip of the dvds that exemplifies what I'm speaking about on youtube or somewhere so u guys can tell me if i'm crazy.. will see.
I have the new set but it is not high on my list for current watching so I haven't watched any of it yet. But I have seen it before so if you list particular episodes and times I will gladly check if I notice the same issues.
Old 03-04-10, 08:15 PM

It's time for Farscape on Blu-ray.
Old 03-04-10, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
I hope you don't mind waiting a long long time.
Old 03-05-10, 03:09 PM

I doubt that it will ever be released on Blu-ray.
Old 03-05-10, 06:39 PM

Will the blu-ray version be bundled with Song of the South?
Old 03-07-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
Pretty sure the creators themselves said it will never get a Blu-Ray release.
Old 03-10-10, 09:46 AM

I have the new set but it is not high on my list for current watching so I haven't watched any of it yet. But I have seen it before so if you list particular episodes and times I will gladly check if I notice the same issues.
Sorry for the delay.. I've been messing with my sound settings and trying the dvd out on different platforms.. i'll try post later this week when I'm sure it's not a problem on my end (still think it's likely something wrong on my end). It's been a busy week or two.
Old 03-11-10, 10:11 PM

I haven't mapped all the different episodes for Farscape yet (I was too busy watching most of them) but as a simple test I can point to Season 1 Episode 5 "Back and Back and Back to the Future". Some timestamps to look for are:

4:00 - 4:30 (listen to the alien lady)
6:30 - 6:40
8:15 - 8:25
26:20 - 26:30
33:20 - 33:25
33:35 - 33:40
36:15 - 36:20

There are more episodes that I had problems with than this, but this one is pretty early on and won't ruin your re-watching of the the show ;p

I tried this episode in my dvd player, my HD-Dvd player (yes, i have one of those!) my laptop and my desktop. I tried playing the 5.1 track and Stereo track and it the distortion was always there. It's been about two weeks since I received the Amazon order so I don't know if I can return it .. sucks to be busy.
Old 03-13-10, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by zeez
It's been about two weeks since I received the Amazon order so I don't know if I can return it .. sucks to be busy.
I'm impressed you got to it in 2 weeks--I have such a backlog it sometimes takes me months or even years to get to the huge full series sets. If Amazon gives you trouble, you may be able to contact the manufacturer. But I thought Amazon was at least 30 days. You can click on the order and try to report the problem and see what it says.
Old 03-13-10, 02:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Yes, Amazon is at least 30 days.
Old 03-16-10, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by kyle
I'm impressed you got to it in 2 weeks--I have such a backlog it sometimes takes me months or even years to get to the huge full series sets. If Amazon gives you trouble, you may be able to contact the manufacturer. But I thought Amazon was at least 30 days. You can click on the order and try to report the problem and see what it says.
Nothing makes you hurry through a dvd-set like the fear that it may be defective. Still planning to take my dvds to a friends place to test them out soon.
Old 03-16-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Amazon has replaced a defective set/DVD a couple of months after the initial order for me on a couple of occasions. I don't know just how long that type cutoff is but I'd contact them anyway even after a year 'cause you never know about their CS.
Old 03-18-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Another option for replacing a defective set is to buy it again and return the defective one for a refund, swapping out the defective disc and keeping the ones that were good. I don't like to abuse Amazon this way but sometimes it is the best option.

I recently sent back a set to Fox for replacement; they don't just substitute discs. It annoys me to pay for shipping to fix a mistake by Fox, but I'd rather do it that way, if the option is available, than hammer Amazon using the above strategy.

So, don't feel as if you must rush through a set (beyond checking all the discs to make sure they look ok). There are other options in case of a defective disc.
Old 04-05-10, 08:09 AM

Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $58.99

Back up for sale for $58.99 8Am (CST) Gold box deal 4 hours only

Good luck -- this wont last -- going fast!!!!

1hr8m into and 93% Gone

1hr13m GONE!

Barndoor67

Last edited by barndoor67; 04-05-10 at 09:15 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.