Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Old 12-01-09, 03:24 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Good deal for those who don't have the Starburst sets.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GP7ZWI?...reative=373501
Old 12-01-09, 06:56 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 892
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

I thought I heard something about BestBuy exclusive having an extra disc--but both say 26 discs--does anyone know if there is any difference between this and Best Buy's?
Old 12-01-09, 07:05 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,790
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

The Complete Series standard includes 2 "archives" discs with content aside from the episode discs (26 discs total), but does not include the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series. The Best Buy includes the original release of Peacekeeper Wars (2 discs) making their set 28 discs total. I understand the Best Buy exclusive set was limited to 5000 copies so may be difficult to get but Peacekeeper Wars is 7.99 on Amazon right now if you're after all content.

Originally Posted by kyle View Post
I thought I heard something about BestBuy exclusive having an extra disc--but both say 26 discs--does anyone know if there is any difference between this and Best Buy's?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 12-01-09 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 07:44 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,165
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Peacekeeper Wars is only $7.99 on Amazon so buying them separate is still cheaper than the sale Best Buy had. That's assuming you don't care about a limited print run.

Believe it or not, the Farscape complete series is in my Gold Box today as well. $55.09.
Old 12-01-09, 10:14 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 1,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

I was debating returning my Best Buy set and purchasing this from Amazon, but after I would purchase the Peacekeeper Wars, the difference is only $8 ... and I wouldn't have a limited Edition set.

... plus the extra box on the doorstep would probably drive my wife over the edge.

Last edited by flix1; 12-01-09 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 10:18 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Wolf359's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,994
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Holy crap, these are awesome prices for this show! Had it on order with Wherehouse and canceled for Amazon, then canceled and bought at Best Buy. Now Amazon strikes back! At this price I should buy everyone I know Farscape for Christmas.
Old 12-01-09, 10:21 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by flix1 View Post
I was debating returning my Best Buy set and purchasing this from Amazon, but after I would purchase the Peacekeeper Wars, the difference is only $8 ... and I wouldn't have a limited Edition set.

... plus the extra box on the doorstep would probably drive my wife over the edge.
I paid $69 for mine at Best Buy. Come to about even with Amazon if I bought Peacekeeper.
Old 12-01-09, 10:42 AM
  #8  
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Glad I waited. Even with 3 of the Starbursts, this is the cheapest way to complete the set. Thanks, OP.
Old 12-01-09, 01:30 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
Holy crap, these are awesome prices for this show! Had it on order with Wherehouse and canceled for Amazon, then canceled and bought at Best Buy. Now Amazon strikes back! At this price I should buy everyone I know Farscape for Christmas.
Heh. I just got 3 sets for my brothers.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-01-09, 01:37 PM
  #10  
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

In for one, thanks OP!
Old 12-01-09, 01:47 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
cgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Almost everything I bought at DD, even with coupons, has been cheaper at Amazon since the end of the DD sale.

It was $69.38 at DD, and I thought that was good. I remember people buying at Wherehouse for $10 more than that a month ago.

Does anyone have experience with sending something that you ordered, that is not damaged but is unopened, back to DD for a refund because of a cheaper price elsewhere?
Old 12-01-09, 02:03 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 892
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by cgray View Post
Does anyone have experience with sending something that you ordered, that is not damaged but is unopened, back to DD for a refund because of a cheaper price elsewhere?
I did that last year--sent a bunch of stuff back as it ended up being cheaper on BF sales. I had called them up--i believe they just had me follow the return instructions on the invoice(s). I had to pay to ship it back, but I still saved money. I think it had to be within 30 days of the order or something.
Old 12-01-09, 02:07 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 892
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Peacekeeper Wars is only $7.99 on Amazon so buying them separate is still cheaper than the sale Best Buy had. That's assuming you don't care about a limited print run.
I canceled my BB order and ordered the set + Peacekeeper Wars from Amazon. There's no guarantee that you will get the limited edition from Best Buy--the web site doesn't even mention it. And Amazon doesn't add tax.
Old 12-01-09, 02:53 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
That'sAllFolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,720
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Believe it or not, the Farscape complete series is in my Gold Box today as well. $55.09.
How do you tell? Click on "Today's Deals"? or is there a link on the product page?
Old 12-01-09, 08:34 PM
  #15  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

I canceled my BB order as well and ordered from Amazon and added the Peacekeeper Wars. Counting tax I saved about four dollars but I have Amazon prime so I will get it by Thursday whereas Best Buy was still showing "Back ordered." Plus, I figure if it's back ordered then I probably won't be getting one of the Special Edition sets that included PeaceKeeper Wars. If that's the case then I saved about $12. I do so love Amazon prime. Almost everything I buy in life I buy from Amazon. Hard to beat free second day shipping and no tax.
Old 12-01-09, 08:57 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,165
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
How do you tell? Click on "Today's Deals"? or is there a link on the product page?
Yes. Go to "Today's Deals" and scroll to the bottom, those are your Gold Box "Quick Picks." It's based on your buying/rating/wish list patterns and usually and extra 3%-5% bonus discount.

I just posted some tips about it in the Amazon Black Friday Week Bargains Thread.
Old 12-01-09, 09:19 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 228
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Wow it was in my gold box deals as well. I HAD to go ahead and get this. I hope this sells well enough to get made into a blu set.
Old 12-01-09, 11:03 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 274
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yes. Go to "Today's Deals" and scroll to the bottom, those are your Gold Box "Quick Picks." It's based on your buying/rating/wish list patterns and usually and extra 3%-5% bonus discount.

I just posted some tips about it in the Amazon Black Friday Week Bargains Thread.
I think my Gold Box is broken. Today it has chosen garden and leather tools and books on subjects that I have zero interest in. Not one Blu or DVD on the list at all, and that's what I buy most of the time from Amazon.....and that's ALL that's on my wish list.
Old 12-02-09, 12:05 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,270
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by david2708 View Post
Good deal for those who don't have the Starburst sets.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GP7ZWI?...reative=373501
Since i loved the series on TV, but am a noob to it on DVD, do the starburst sets have more material (commentaries etc? )

basically, is this complete set worth getting at this price, or are there sets with more supplementary material on them, and this is just episodes/bare bones?

TIA
Old 12-02-09, 12:51 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,165
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by NCC1701E View Post
I think my Gold Box is broken. Today it has chosen garden and leather tools and books on subjects that I have zero interest in. Not one Blu or DVD on the list at all, and that's what I buy most of the time from Amazon.....and that's ALL that's on my wish list.
That still happens to me from time to time.
Old 12-02-09, 03:33 PM
  #21  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
Since i loved the series on TV, but am a noob to it on DVD, do the starburst sets have more material (commentaries etc? )

basically, is this complete set worth getting at this price, or are there sets with more supplementary material on them, and this is just episodes/bare bones?

TIA
I think they have all the Starburst set materials but it's a moot point cause the Starburst sets are no longer in production.
Old 12-02-09, 04:17 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,394
Received 796 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

The new Farscape release has most of the material that was on the Starburst sets, but not all of it.

From a review at The Digital Bits:

The new A&E discs have dropped a LOT of the Starburst Edition bonus content. I've gone through all the sets disc by disc, and it boils down to this: The new A&E discs include all the episodes, all the audio commentaries and all the deleted scenes. They also include all the documentary specials, all the TV promos, Re: Union, the bloopers, all the Listening In and Farscape in the Raw clips, and MOST of the behind-the-scenes cast and crew interviews. But all of the image and production design gallery videos are gone, nearly all of the Video Profile clips are gone, the make-up test, TV Critics Association and storyboard videos are all gone, and ALL of the text-based features have been dropped, including actor and character bios and backstories, the Cool Farscape Facts, The Farscape Chronicles and Alien Encounters features and more. The only NEW feature that the A&E discs include (that wasn't on the Starburst discs) is the Farscape Undressed behind-the-scenes TV special, which has never been available on DVD before.
Old 12-02-09, 04:30 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mnementh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Posts: 3,031
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The new Farscape release has most of the material that was on the Starburst sets, but not all of it.
According to that review, the Starburst sets also had better video quality. Although I bought the complete series, I guess I'll look out for price drops on the few Starburst sets I'm missing.
Old 12-02-09, 05:23 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,655
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
According to that review, the Starburst sets also had better video quality. Although I bought the complete series, I guess I'll look out for price drops on the few Starburst sets I'm missing.
Crud. I was just about to unload my Starbursts, but after reading the digitalbits summary, and your comment about the video quality, I'll stick with what I got. I'll probably sell or return the Farscape Complete set I just bought. I didn't realize Farscape Undressed was the ONLY new thing there was, and that it was missing so much stuff...
Old 12-02-09, 08:16 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,165
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: AMAZON-Farscape Complete Series $57.99

Got my set today. That was FAST. It's a pretty tiny box for having 26 discs in it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.