DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner Archive sales

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Warner Archive sales

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I stopped by their booth at the end of WonderCon, and they gave me a free DVD. It was opened, probably demoed at their booth, but I'm fine with that. They gave me a choice from about 16 titles. Most were sealed, but I wanted Pick A Star since I'm a L&H fan.
Good choice you made there Ken...bigtime fan of theirs myself as well.
Old 04-09-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I stopped by their booth at the end of WonderCon, and they gave me a free DVD. It was opened, probably demoed at their booth, but I'm fine with that. They gave me a choice from about 16 titles. Most were sealed, but I wanted Pick A Star since I'm a L&H fan.
Ken, we probably crossed paths and didn't even know it! I too was at their booth at the end of Wondercon and they generously gave me all of the free DVD-Rs they had left, about 15 total, and even thanked me for taking them off their hands. They were great reps and I was very happy to talk to with them about the Archive and throw in some requests for upcoming titles. As much criticism as the program gets and I believe some of it is warranted, you can't deny that the folks who work in the Archive absolutely love movies.
Old 04-09-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn, what did you end up getting from them regarding the freebies?
Old 04-09-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

What & where is Wondercon?
Old 04-09-13, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
What & where is Wondercon?
I am guessing....Milwaukee?
Old 04-10-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Richard, they were various titles from the 20's-80's, nothing major, but I was happy to get them for free.

WONDERCON is one of the biggest comic/sci-fi/entertainment conventions in the country. Run by SAN DIEGO COMIC CON, it's their second biggest show and is usually held in in San Francisco, but for the past couple of years has been in Anaheim, CA. It's a good show, more low key and less "Hollywood" than the San Diego event has become. Lots of deals to be had.
Old 04-19-13, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Richard, they were various titles from the 20's-80's, nothing major, but I was happy to get them for free.

WONDERCON is one of the biggest comic/sci-fi/entertainment conventions in the country. Run by SAN DIEGO COMIC CON, it's their second biggest show and is usually held in in San Francisco, but for the past couple of years has been in Anaheim, CA. It's a good show, more low key and less "Hollywood" than the San Diego event has become. Lots of deals to be had.
If you go to the San Diego comic con, follow their twitter feed. They drop hints as to where they are hiding in the area and if you find them you get a free DVD. I snagged about 4 copies from them over the course of the weekend.
Old 05-23-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Buy 2, get 1 free sale now going on. Ends on Monday, 5/27 at 11:59 PM PST.
Old 05-24-13, 12:22 PM

The buy 2 get 1 free sale is only for single discs.. despite them listing multiple disc sets in the sale list.
Old 05-24-13, 09:39 PM

Coupon code SAVINGS gets you $20 off a $100 order.
Old 06-06-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

5 for $50 w/free shipping until monday
Old 06-11-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are we EVER going to see a release of Shearer's Trial Of Mary Dugan? Grapevine has told me they can't do it because Turner owns the copyright; but TCM has only broadcast it ONCE (many years ago), & WAC refuses to release it (GRR!)
Old 06-11-13, 09:41 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm trying to get the Forbidden Hollywood collections from Volume 4 on up. What type of sales does this website usually have? Is my best bet only going to be something like 10% off or do they do better sales than that?
Old 06-11-13, 10:36 PM

Are we EVER going to see a release of Shearer's Trial Of Mary Dugan? Grapevine has told me they can't do it because Turner owns the copyright; but TCM has only broadcast it ONCE (many years ago), & WAC refuses to release it (GRR!)
Not quite sure why Grapevine would say that, might have been true in the past, but TCM just licenses the films they show nowadays...

Found this on a TCM forum thread....
http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?me...24300&#7824300
Old 06-12-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by berigan
Not quite sure why Grapevine would say that, might have been true in the past, but TCM just licenses the films they show nowadays...

Found this on a TCM forum thread....
http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7824300�
What's the "Abend Decision"?

The one time TCM B-cast 1929 Dugan seems to be the ONLY version running around in collector's circles, & I've never seen a copy that wasn't several VHS generations removed from the original long ago broadcast.
Old 06-12-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lipid
I'm trying to get the Forbidden Hollywood collections from Volume 4 on up. What type of sales does this website usually have? Is my best bet only going to be something like 10% off or do they do better sales than that?
Anyone know if 4 & 5 are still factory pressed? I've really wanted to get them, but $'s have been very scarce.........
Old 06-12-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
5 for $50 w/free shipping until monday
For those who missed this, ImportCDs has many Archives DVDs for $9.89 each, with the current 10% discount and shipping, this works out to $10.39 each, not quite as good, but one doesn't have to buy five. Still better than WA's everyday prices.
Old 06-12-13, 04:46 PM

What's the "Abend Decision"?

The one time TCM B-cast 1929 Dugan seems to be the ONLY version running around in collector's circles, & I've never seen a copy that wasn't several VHS generations removed from the original long ago broadcast.
Its weird the way their forum is laid out, comments go the wrong way when you aren't signed in....anyway that link didn't work anymore ever, but here is more info....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_v._Abend
Old 06-12-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
I think they usually run a 20-25% off on multi-disc sets about twice a year.

Anyone know if 4 & 5 are still factory pressed? I've really wanted to get them, but $'s have been very scarce.........
Yes, the Warner Archive (not WB Shop) site has a sub-tab for "replicated discs" under the movies tab, which will list everything that is pressed and still available. Sets 4-7 should all be pressed and still available.
Old 06-12-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I think they usually run a 20-25% off on multi-disc sets about twice a year.

Yes, the Warner Archive (not WB Shop) site has a sub-tab for "replicated discs" under the movies tab, which will list everything that is pressed and still available. Sets 4-7 should all be pressed and still available.
Thanks. Only 4 & 5 show up in that section, & all 4 are stamped "made to order". $40 ea is too steep for me also. I'll have to hope they show up in a pawn shop someday........
Old 06-12-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

6 & 7 are relatively new. I ordered mine as soon as they were announced just in case, but I can't believe they would have exhausted all the pressed copies already.
Old 06-12-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
How does that work, though? If you order do they just send you the discs that are still pressed? There doesn't seem to be way to choose it upon checkout.
Old 06-12-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ignore the "made to order" banner. If they've pressed something, they will exhaust that supply before they start to burn them. The only time you will get a burned set when a pressed one is still available is if you go thru Amazon, as I believe they have their own infrastructure up to handle the MOD releases.

As long as the title still shows availability under the replicated sub menu, you'll get a pressed version.
Old 06-12-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^That's disappointing. There are tons of Archive titles I've wanted but have held off due to cost. Had I known there were pressed copies at first I'd probably have a full library at this point.
Old 06-12-13, 10:00 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Very few titles were pressed to start with.
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/catego...tSellersAscend

This link shows the list and there weren't that many to start with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.