Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Warner Archive sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Warner Archive sales

Amazon are offering 50% off a handful of Archive titles including Philo Vance, Nick Carter, The Falcon and The Saint.

So... can anyone speak to the quality of Amazon-r discs versus Warner-r discs? And are any of these sets still pressed direct from WB, please?
Old 09-13-13, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Amazon are offering 50% off a handful of Archive titles including Philo Vance, Nick Carter, The Falcon and The Saint.

So... can anyone speak to the quality of Amazon-r discs versus Warner-r discs? And are any of these sets still pressed direct from WB, please?
I've heard that Amazon Warner archive titles are never pressed. I don't know whether any of those titles are available pressed from Warner archive.
Old 09-13-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

IMO, ANY purchased commercial burned disc needs to be immediately backed up to high quality media (preferably Taiyo Yuden 8x+). Every commercial burned disc I have ever received has been on cheap, short lived media & likely was burned at high speed.
Old 10-10-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Columbus Day 5/$50:

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/catego...erCOLUMBUShome

Free shipping over $25. Don't know about codes.

Thanks to the increased frequency of the 5/$50 sales and Glenn Erickson's reviews, I've happily gone broke on all the previous sales and can sit this one out.

(incidentally, I've also recently re-watched Archive discs purchased from near the beginning of the service, and they're still working perfectly, so not sure what to make of all the talk of them being on poor quality discs, needing backup, etc. I do make copies of titles that I sell onward, but that's about it)
Old 10-10-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T

(incidentally, I've also recently re-watched Archive discs purchased from near the beginning of the service, and they're still working perfectly, so not sure what to make of all the talk of them being on poor quality discs, needing backup, etc. I do make copies of titles that I sell onward, but that's about it)
You're a fortunate man.
Old 10-10-13, 07:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
You're a fortunate man.
They hardly ever prosecute those laws.
Old 10-10-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not up here.

(and since one or both of you is clearly misreading what I wrote -- understandably -- the copies are for me. I sell the originals)

Old 10-11-13, 09:27 AM

Not up here.

(and since one or both of you is clearly misreading what I wrote -- understandably -- the copies are for me. I sell the originals)

What you're doing would be illegal under US copyright law. Copyright includes the exclusive right to reproduce an item. There's a limited exception for backup archival copies, but the archival copy goes with the original... it doesn't replace it when the original is sold. If you no longer own the original, you don't have a right to the backup.

Canadian copyright law appears to be the same:

29.24 (1) It is not an infringement of copyright in a work or other subject-matter for a person who owns — or has a licence to use — a copy of the work or subject-matter (in this section referred to as the “source copy”) to reproduce the source copy if

(a) the person does so solely for backup purposes in case the source copy is lost, damaged or otherwise rendered unusable;

(b) the source copy is not an infringing copy;

(c) the person, in order to make the reproduction, did not circumvent, as defined in section 41, a technological protection measure, as defined in that section, or cause one to be circumvented; and

(d) the person does not give any of the reproductions away.

Marginal note:Backup copy becomes source copy
(2) If the source copy is lost, damaged or otherwise rendered unusable, one of the reproductions made under subsection (1) becomes the source copy.

Marginal noteestruction
(3) The person shall immediately destroy all reproductions made under subsection (1) after the person ceases to own, or to have a licence to use, the source copy.
Old 10-11-13, 04:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Not up here.

Nope. I totally understood what you wrote. I was just trying to subtly point out that it is illegal and just plain wrong. If you were an author or creator would you like others to make copies of your work?
Old 10-11-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Same as people who rip their CDs and then sell them and keep the MP3s--that's breaking the law.
Old 10-13-13, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
What you're doing would be illegal under US copyright law. Canadian copyright law appears to be the same:
. . . [etc. etc. etc.] . . .

I'm familiar with the laws here. I'm also familiar with the ongoing debate -- right up to the federal level -- regarding them, including somewhat well-publicized and presumably ongoing challenges to the subsections thrown in my face. Trevor's original comment, ironically -- and more ironically in spite of what i presume is its intended sarcasm -- tends to reflect the reality:

Originally Posted by Trevor
In fact, I dare say "never", though one of you can probably find a precedent on our books. Not that it won't be an exception . . .

Incidentally, my collection of Archive titles numbers 147 discs. ALL bought and paid for so the authors and creators got their share. My total number of purchases of Archive titles is 154 (had to dig for that tally, but there it is). I sold seven, backed up even less (nor will I share or profit from them), and lost no sleep. This is not some flagrant, chronic indulgence. "What I'm doing", indeed.

If you were an author or creator would you like others to make copies of your work?
Yes! As long as they're not selling copies of those copies and profiting from my work, why would I care? And furthermore, I'd try to get a legit copy of my work (movie, CD, book, magazine) purchased by every public library in the land, so that they could in turn loan it out to as many people as humanly possible at absolutely no cost whatsoever to the borrower, just as they do with everything else on their shelves. And i'd encourage people who bought my work to share it with their friends (but hopefully not charge them for the privilege), just as people have done for decades (seriously, can anyone here cast stones?). I'm only selfish about ownership to a point, but wouldn't tether my entire livelihood to only the profits from physical media representations of it.

Last edited by Brian T; 10-13-13 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-13-13, 10:45 AM

Yes! As long as they're not selling copies of those copies and profiting from my work, why would I care? I'm only selfish about ownership to a point, but wouldn't tether my entire livelihood to only the profits from physical media representations of it.
But they are profiting from your work if they do what you've done. Anytime I buy a book or DVD, I have the right to sell it, just the same as I have the right to sell my car, but by doing so, I give up my continued ownership and enjoyment of the work. I've sold plenty of used items, so I understand that tradeoff and can live with it, but you're changing the rules so you don't give up the right to continue enjoying the item. And, further, there's nothing to keep the person you sold the disc to from doing the exact same thing.

Copyright law, whether in the US or Canada or anywhere, is designed to allow people to profit from their intellectual labors by giving them a temporary legal monopoly on that work. I have a feeling your tune would change if you actually did have to rely for a living on the money you made selling copies of your work. And I should know, I work for a company that sells educational works for a limited market. We are trying to make inroads into parts of the world where they don't respect copyrights and find it very tough going because our customers freely make and distribute bootlegs of our works. There's no difference between what they do and what you do other than the fact they do it on a somewhat more sophisticated scale which costs us more money than what you do. But that's like saying that stealing a million dollars is worse than stealing ten dollars. Wrong is wrong. So, I have a very tough time working up any sympathy for anyone who rather cavalierly makes comments like you do.
Old 10-13-13, 04:12 PM

"Incidentally, my collection of Archive titles numbers 147 discs. ALL bought and paid for so the authors and creators got their share."

This is my big beef with copyright law as it exists today - most of these archive discs are surely not returning ANY money to the authors and creators! Of course Warner does have to pay to remaster/burn/distribute and one should have to pay for that but it's pretty sad that for most older media (movies, books, music) the creators usually get very little.
Old 10-13-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamGott
"Incidentally, my collection of Archive titles numbers 147 discs. ALL bought and paid for so the authors and creators got their share."

This is my big beef with copyright law as it exists today - most of these archive discs are surely not returning ANY money to the authors and creators! Of course Warner does have to pay to remaster/burn/distribute and one should have to pay for that but it's pretty sad that for most older media (movies, books, music) the creators usually get very little.
You're not saying that that makes it OK, though, correct? It's not really our place to decide how rights and contracts affect our behavior.

Brian T may have paid for the original copies, but as silverscreen said, that was for the original copies only. The discussed practice talks about putting another copy into the distribution system that has not been paid for.
Old 10-14-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

FYI - many of us who bought stuff through WBShop since March had our credit cards compromised. See the thread in Other about fraudulent charges. I don't know if you can use Paypal with WB, but I would think twice about using a credit card with them.
Old 10-14-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember, it isn't Warner; it's there payment processor; to truly protect oneself, someone would have to come up with a list of EVERY customer this company (I think they were called Datalink or something like that?) has. I am an intenet merchant, & I can & will tell you that most of these processors have 10's of thousands of customers (meaning the companies they process billing for) each. Don't blame Warner, blame the processor.
Old 10-14-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blame Warner for continuing to process orders long after they knew about the breach and I also blame them for not notifying their customers and leaving all the dirty work to Datapak. Any of the merchants involved with this should have stepped up and alerted their customer base. Who bought items from Datapak? No one. Therefore, how many deleted that Datapak e mail wondering what the hell it was? WB acted irresponsibly in keeping silent. A blanket e mail to everyone in their database or at least a notice on their site would have been the proper action to take.
Old 10-14-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I blame Warner for continuing to process orders long after they knew about the breach and I also blame them for not notifying their customers and leaving all the dirty work to Datapak. Any of the merchants involved with this should have stepped up and alerted their customer base. Who bought items from Datapak? No one. Therefore, how many deleted that Datapak e mail wondering what the hell it was? WB acted irresponsibly in keeping silent. A blanket e mail to everyone in their database or at least a notice on their site would have been the proper action to take.
Glenn, those are good points. If my customers based was compromised under similar circumstances, i would change providers.

It's actually relatively new behavior for the US gvt to allow the processor to admit they were the ones that got hit. When I personally got hit a few years ago (my personal card info, not my business), my bank told me the FBI was refusing to release the info of who the guilty party was to the public. I am NOT saying i agree with the gvt on this; in fact I feel strongly the opposite!
Old 11-12-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

DVD Planet is having a Warner Archive Sale through 11/15. Some good prices on box sets like the Jean Harlow set for $36.59.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Search/grp/...r-Archive-Sale
Old 11-13-13, 11:07 AM

Grabbed the following from DVD Planet. Thanks for the heads up.

Growing Pains Season 3 - $22.xx
Forbidden Hollywood 6 - $27.xx
Forbidden Hollywood 7 - $27.xx

Will let people know if these are still pressed on the FH collections. I am pretty happy with the prices, been waiting for Less than $25 on each, but $27 was enough for me to bite. I've been waiting long enough.
Old 11-13-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jra166
Grabbed the following from DVD Planet. Thanks for the heads up.

Growing Pains Season 3 - $22.xx
Forbidden Hollywood 6 - $27.xx
Forbidden Hollywood 7 - $27.xx

Will let people know if these are still pressed on the FH collections. I am pretty happy with the prices, been waiting for Less than $25 on each, but $27 was enough for me to bite. I've been waiting long enough.
They're still being pressed on the actual WA page. Does DVD Planet press their own stock or does Warner supply them?
Old 11-13-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't know how many WB titles had gone MOD. Just looing thru the first few pages,. I found these that I bought at Big Lots over the past few years

Bad Company
Hallelujah
His Majesty O'Keefe
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
David Copperfield
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Red Badge of Courage
Johnny Belinda
Presenting Lily Mars
Kitty Foyle
Fire in the Sky
Other People's Money

Unbelievable.
Old 11-13-13, 05:53 PM
Banned

Just have no interest in a DVD pressed on DVD-R/MOD or whatever they are pressed on!!! Give the real thing, or nothing!!!
Old 11-13-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I didn't know how many WB titles had gone MOD...
I have *dozens* of titles from Warners and Sony that once were pressed but are now MOD (mine are all pressed). They seem to be in a race to see which can dump pressed copies first and move to a MOD only distribution method.
Old 11-13-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have *dozens* of titles from Warners and Sony that once were pressed but are now MOD (mine are all pressed). They seem to be in a race to see which can dump pressed copies first and move to a MOD only distribution method.
MOD is a temporary stopgap until their Warner Archive program gets a solid digital streaming footing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.