DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-30-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
Which season would this be?
I have to check at home. I am at work right now. Send me a pm so I don't forget.

Dirk
Old 07-30-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Why in the hell would they pay someone to destroy their DVD's for them? Surely it can't be that hard a thing to do that they couldn't handle such a task themselves.
I don't know if WB can do things right,selling DVD-Rs for $19.99 ????...they sound clueless.
Old 07-30-09, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter View Post
danvers, ma. After Rexxriot's post, I went back to look for the WB academy award winners, did not find it. picked up a smallville blu-ray s7, there was one more left. The Wonder Woman seasons 2,3 were still there and there were some roots 30th anniversary editions. The cashier told me someone came in yesterday morning and bought a cart full of stuff, multiples of the same titles, and had the big wonder woman set (complete??).
Yeah, figures I missed out on the Wonder Woman set. I knew I should have gone over when they opened on Tuesday, although I wasn't expecting them to put out as much as they did. I was there when they opened today thinking they might have restocked last night, but there was nothing new. Actually, it didn't look like much had sold since I was there on Tuesday. I'm still wondering what they might have in the back. It would be nice to pick up a few thing to complete my collection.
Old 07-30-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnnieGrrrl View Post
Hey All,

I found this news story about Warner Bros/IWMB, and I am not sure that the stuff showing up at Big Lots is part of it.

cidadeverde.com/entretenimento_txt.php?id=41924

I translated the site and it looks like it they are only suing them over copies of Dark Knight?!? But it also sites the Hollywood Reporter story that was posted here as a reference. I really hope the stuff keeps showing up at Big Lots ... It's been nice to get all the old cartoons for my daughter!
If it was only concerning The Dark Knight who has been selling these?..I haven't seen them.
Old 07-30-09, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
They (and others) have been available to wholesalers at a very low cost for some time now. Typically people go in and 'bid' on unmarked boxes of DVDs (and BDs and HD DVDs). Eventually, no one wants the same ol' crap so they get sent to be destroyed. Apparently someone didn't do that...

Blockbuster did this all the time. Every 2 weeks I would go in the back room with a hammer and nail and punch holes through DVDs to be thrown away. Studios didn't want cheap copies of x movie when they were still trying to sell new ones.
Yes, I saw DVDs being destroyed at my local Blockbuster a few weeks ago. A Blockbuster employee had a huge stack of DVDs next to some sort of disc grinding machine and he was feeding them in one after another. The funny thing is that I initially thought it was a disc polishing machine.
Old 07-30-09, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_F1 View Post
Yes, I saw DVDs being destroyed at my local Blockbuster a few weeks ago. A Blockbuster employee had a huge stack of DVDs next to some sort of disc grinding machine and he was feeding them in one after another. The funny thing is that I initially thought it was a disc polishing machine.
I guess they want to keep all the used dvds for sale more recent ones at $9,99 and $14.99, which really doesnt appeal to me, if I wanted a movie enough to pay that kind of money for it, I would just buy it new. I used to look forward to buying used dvds at like $2.99, but I guess this goes against thier "corporate mentality" all goes back to them wanting to keep the "perceived value" up as high as possible, but to me anyway, the "perceived value" was not that high to begin with

Last edited by jgorow; 07-30-09 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-30-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, wait...if BL is selling us stolen dvds, what other hot shit are we buying? Now I feel guilty about that bag of pork skins.
Old 07-30-09, 09:51 AM

A fellow DVD Talker posted that the manager of the Durham, NC store on Hwy 55 was supposedly going to geta big restock today (7/30/2009). I went there last evening in the off chance they'd be put out early. No such luck.

This morning I set out with the intention of being there right at 9am...but various things side-tracked me and I found myself at the Western Blvd Raleigh, NC location right at 9am. At first it didn't look like anything special, but on closer examination I began to see a lot of new inventory. I'm not sure when it was put out - it looked somewhat picked over, but I was the first one there. Anyway, picked up multiple seasons of ER, several S7 Blu-Rays of Smallville (to show up in the trade thread later); Wonder Woman S2&S3, Blade,Roots 30th (first pesonal sighting in NC), and a number of the NFL sets (for a friend). There were still maybe 10 copies of Top Cat when I left, lots of Dallas, some Friends, and ER.

I next hit the Cary, NC store...nothing.

About 10am I finally got to the Durham store...and no new inventory there. According to the check-out lady, I didn't miss anything.

So - lesson learned: can't trust winking managers as to when stock will be put out. Also, stuff is still showing up, so looks like the hunt goes on (though personally I'm probably going to 'retire' after today; I think I have enough trade stuff to fill in the gaps of stuff I actively want).

Peter
Old 07-30-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heading out to the Bay Area this weekend for a wedding and plan to visit the San Leandro, San Pablo and Hercules stores. Any locals have any advice? Do I need to pack my piece?
Old 07-30-09, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rmw650 View Post
Shape up WB and learn to take responsibility for your own actions and go after the third party that did all this to your firm to start with and not go after the stores or anyone else that carried your products or the customers who legally bought these sets.
Isn't this exactly what the WB is doing?

Originally Posted by rmw650 View Post
WB made a blunder!

Last I checked, we're allowed to buy products at stores that are offered on sale and by God, that's what we all did! I don't think that's a terrible crime and we paid hard-earned money for those products and it wasn't easy either to attain them! Trust us on that!

Suck it up, WB and go after those people (IWMB, Inc.) who caused all this to you but you folks at WB should have done your homework and research before ever entrusting them in the first place to do this favor for you! You screwed up bigtime! Deal with it!
I don't see how any of this is a "WB blunder". They legally hired a company (likely under a very strict contract) to do a job and that company failed to live up to the requirements of that contract and now they are being suid for breach of said contract. There is no indication what so ever that the WB is going to go after Big Lots or its customers regarding this issue (assuming thas where this stock came from in the first place).
Old 07-30-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
I guess they want to keep all the used dvds for sale more recent ones at $9,99 and $14.99, which really doesnt appeal to me, if I wanted a movie enough to pay that kind of money for it, I would just buy it new. I used to look forward to buying used dvds at like $2.99, but I guess this goes against thier "corporate mentality" all goes back to them wanting to keep the "perceived value" up as high as possible, but to me anyway, the "perceived value" was not that high to begin with
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're pointing a finger at Blockbuster.
Just to be clear, this is not Blockbuster's policy. This is a requirement by the studios in order for Blockbuster to carry the DVDs for rental.
I worked there when the policy was first implemented, and we had to send a number of copies of various titles back to the BBV distribution center every week, but I left before they got the grinding machine (although I had been told it was to be coming soon).
Old 07-30-09, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're pointing a finger at Blockbuster.
Just to be clear, this is not Blockbuster's policy. This is a requirement by the studios in order for Blockbuster to carry the DVDs for rental.
I worked there when the policy was first implemented, and we had to send a number of copies of various titles back to the BBV distribution center every week, but I left before they got the grinding machine (although I had been told it was to be coming soon).
I'm confused. There are always dozens of used copies of many recent titles for sale at all the big chain rental places. Often they make it to the 4 for $20 type displays.

How is that not flooding the market?
Old 07-30-09, 11:26 AM

Anybody have an email address for warner brothers home video? Two of my sets are scratched and/or cracked on certain discs. My big lots apparently doesn't have any more to exchange. Thanks.
Old 07-30-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AP is reporting that Warner Brothers attorneys have filed for an injunction against any more copies of JOEY SEASON 1 appearing in any way, shape or form in any venue worldwide. Lead corporate attorney Rory Graustark made an impassioned plea both in the brief and to the media: "We don't care about any of the other DVDs that were supposed to be destroyed, but for God's sakes, we are begging everyone everywhere, please, please, please destroy your copies of JOEY SEASON 1! Oh the humanity!!!"
Old 07-30-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
AP is reporting that Warner Brothers attorneys have filed for an injunction against any more copies of JOEY SEASON 1 appearing in any way, shape or form in any venue worldwide. Lead corporate attorney Rory Graustark made an impassioned plea both in the brief and to the media: "We don't care about any of the other DVDs that were supposed to be destroyed, but for God's sakes, we are begging everyone everywhere, please, please, please destroy your copies of JOEY SEASON 1! Oh the humanity!!!"
i love that JOEY has become the newest DVD to make fun of hahaha
Old 07-30-09, 12:08 PM

Actually being in the jurisdiction of Warner Brothers I might need that gun to have you fire up the chopper and fly me to the immunity of Canadia. WB lawyers might be storming my compound to shred what I've been able to find at BL.

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
As the sole Canadian to allegedly take part in this filthy exercise, I have diplomatic immunity. If any such ill-gotten lucre did come back here with me--and I'm not saying it did, because I cannot recall the details at this time--they would be considered the sovereign property of Her Majesty The Queen. Cheerio and all that!

Phibes? Phibes who? Wait, what's he doing with that gun?!?
Old 07-30-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
It has nothing to do with Blockbuster - the studios want them destroyed not resold after a certain amount of time. Nice to know they have a machine now though
Old 07-30-09, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
A fellow DVD Talker posted that the manager of the Durham, NC store on Hwy 55 was supposedly going to geta big restock today (7/30/2009). I went there last evening in the off chance they'd be put out early. No such luck.

This morning I set out with the intention of being there right at 9am...but various things side-tracked me and I found myself at the Western Blvd Raleigh, NC location right at 9am. At first it didn't look like anything special, but on closer examination I began to see a lot of new inventory. I'm not sure when it was put out - it looked somewhat picked over, but I was the first one there. Anyway, picked up multiple seasons of ER, several S7 Blu-Rays of Smallville (to show up in the trade thread later); Wonder Woman S2&S3, Blade,Roots 30th (first pesonal sighting in NC), and a number of the NFL sets (for a friend). There were still maybe 10 copies of Top Cat when I left, lots of Dallas, some Friends, and ER.

I next hit the Cary, NC store...nothing.

About 10am I finally got to the Durham store...and no new inventory there. According to the check-out lady, I didn't miss anything.

So - lesson learned: can't trust winking managers as to when stock will be put out. Also, stuff is still showing up, so looks like the hunt goes on (though personally I'm probably going to 'retire' after today; I think I have enough trade stuff to fill in the gaps of stuff I actively want).

Peter
were the Blu-ray still $6? or now $3?
Old 07-30-09, 12:31 PM

All the sets at Raleigh, NC were $6 except Top Cat.

Peter
Old 07-30-09, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Old 07-30-09, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
It has nothing to do with Blockbuster - the studios want them destroyed not resold after a certain amount of time. Nice to know they have a machine now though
I would imagine this would make it quite easy for a "team" of employees at a blockbuster to band together and "salvage" a bunch of discs instead of destroying them, and just claim to have destroyed them, and then resell them on a secondary market
Old 07-30-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also after these two titles as well in addition to the many HB sets that have been spotted throughout many BL locations throughout the USA and if anyone on here can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home: The Complete 1st Season ($6.00)

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection: 15 Winners 26 Nominees ($3.00)
Old 07-30-09, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by docdoowop View Post
Heading out to the Bay Area this weekend for a wedding and plan to visit the San Leandro, San Pablo and Hercules stores. Any locals have any advice? Do I need to pack my piece?
dont bother with the hurcules store i wiped that out yesterday.
Old 07-30-09, 01:41 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

Just came from the Whittier BL, picked up 1 of each:

Pinky And The Brain [Season 2] $6 (dozen or so left)
The History Of Rock 'N' Roll $6 (dozen left)
Josie And The Pussycats $3 (buried, last one)
Mission Hill [Complete Series] $3 (half dozen left)
Old 07-30-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know about the rest of you, but it's gonna be hard for me to go back to just buying $3 movies at BL, when I've been spoiled with the $3 and $6 tv sets and other boxed goodies... I've happily been shopping fir DVDs from big lots for over a year now, we'd get the occasional $3 tv series from time to time, but nothing like these past few months.

I'm not completely convinced the WB stuff we've been buying was stolen either... Another poster mentioned this was about Dark Knight discs... And Big Lots has had two advertised sales on Warner titles seperated by a couple weeks.... Don't you think they'd have done something about it sooner I that was the case...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.