DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-30-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I am told that this coming week's new dvd's will be some sort of a $6.00 "Family pack".
Just came from BL a few hours ago; quite a few Mill Creek sets there for $6.00, that I didn't see a few days ago...Benji movies, cartoons, nothing that thrilled me personally but maybe this is what they mean.

Saw a guy picking over the movies and the remnants (very few) of the boxed sets. He got a stack of stuff but no Popeye, Flintstones, Tales from the Crypt, etc., as those were all gone.
Old 07-30-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My area has always been a week or two behind, so I fully expect that this weekend, or at the start of next week, I'll see the $10 sets show up. Then after that, I have no clue. I haven't heard from those that get things a week or two before me that they've seen anything new since the $10 sets.
Old 07-30-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dullboy View Post
The new weekly ad for this coming Sunday is up. No dvds, but you can get ahold of one of these classy towels...

Nice!! Gonna get one for my GF and tell her to reverse it for extra laughs.
Old 07-30-09, 07:33 PM

Some copies of "Searching for John Ford" by Joseph McBride have shown up in NC stores I've visited. Looks like a fairly good biography. Priced at $5. I've also seen a magazine-sized book reproducing Mexican film posters...also priced at $5 (would have grabbed that one if it'd been $3). --Peter
Old 07-30-09, 07:45 PM

I checked Cambridge and Marietta OH and Parkersberg and South Parkersberg WV today. All I found was some repeats of stuff I've already got to put on the trade list. Unless some more shipments come in in the future (which it sounds like depends on if Big Lots has more in the warehouse or if everything has been sent to the stores already)

Last edited by grune; 07-30-09 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
The value to a studio is not the media used to record upon but the intellectual property that is recorded. Its no different than farmers dumping milk or burning produce rather than sending them to market and driving prices down.
Actually companies do dump milk, and other products, but it's where they sell it for super cheap to take the market and then raise the prices after the local market's gone. Jamaica's a good example of where this happened, as well as being able to see a recent example of the world bank screwing a country over.

I hit Big Lots yesterday and just saw the remnants of when I hit it a couple weeks earlier. I'll just be glad when everybody stops going and I can find decent prices on movies like I did before but without the stampedes. Sure there won't be the super amazing deals like recently but there was always stuff to get in the past.
Old 07-30-09, 08:35 PM

If this Warner lawsuit is referring to titles showing up at Big Lots, I am very sad that some of these sets weren't donated to toys for tots and toys for teens but were instead marked for destruction. Considering the amount of animated sets showing up alone, these could have made some much loved Christmas gifts for underprivileged children, and would have still provided a write off for Warner.
Old 07-30-09, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by greyslade View Post
So what's the consensus? Think there will be another round of boxset gold?
I think, if anything, it will be mill creek. as far as major label box sets, that this was a 1 shot deal, unless they can negotiate with another studio, but I imagine the studios are far more interested in pushing to bluray, holding a higher price point that is more profittable for them. apparently, warner never meant for these box sets to go to retail. be thankful for what you got while it lasted. if anything we might start seeing more oop single discs. I just hope that this trend of destroying overstocked media doesnt become the industry standard.
Old 07-30-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
I think, if anything, it will be mill creek.
Them continuing to sell Mill Creek stuff won't be anything new. They've been selling, and I've been buying, their stuff for years at Big Lots at these prices. They've also always had tons of $3 movies also. Been shopping there for years just for the DVDs.
Old 07-30-09, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuirkyMovieGirl View Post
If this Warner lawsuit is referring to titles showing up at Big Lots, I am very sad that some of these sets weren't donated to toys for tots and toys for teens but were instead marked for destruction. Considering the amount of animated sets showing up alone, these could have made some much loved Christmas gifts for underprivileged children, and would have still provided a write off for Warner.
I agree, these should have gone to a legit childrens charity, given the amount of animated titles, rather than marked for destruction.
Old 07-30-09, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Them continuing to sell Mill Creek stuff won't be anything new. They've been selling, and I've been buying, their stuff for years at Big Lots at these prices. They've also always had tons of $3 movies also. Been shopping there for years just for the DVDs.
me too, been shopping there back when pretty much all they had was off-label and public domain discs. but, it seems to me that in the future, mill creek will be getting the rights to and producing better stuff than that have in the past, just like bci was starting to do shortly before thier demise. there is allways room for smaller labels to pick up the niche markets that the major studios dont find profittable enough for them.

Last edited by jgorow; 07-30-09 at 08:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-30-09, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
My area has always been a week or two behind, so I fully expect that this weekend, or at the start of next week, I'll see the $10 sets show up. Then after that, I have no clue. I haven't heard from those that get things a week or two before me that they've seen anything new since the $10 sets.
I hope for you, you are right brent, but I wouldnt count on it
Old 07-30-09, 09:00 PM
Defunct Account

The party's over in Gainesville, FL. Went by again today and nothing new for over a week. They got a truck in yesterday, so I was hoping that some new stuff would show up but no luck. I'm going to stop checking daily.
Old 07-30-09, 09:00 PM

I just got back from a 3 state, 7 big lots tour. The $6 sets were still $6 in each state. They did have 'new stock' since last week. Bought Sex in the city season 6 for $6 (not sure if that is an old one or not) as well as friends S5 for $6. I saw DVDs, I hadn't seen before like blade 2 and blade 3. I also saw a thundercats DVD with the silver/felt slipcase and the DVD was actually sealed (discs 11 and 12).

Last edited by slowdive21; 07-30-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-30-09, 10:08 PM
Cool New Member

Ha. I don't know if I'd consider the Face/Butt towel a bargain @ $7.00 after getting all the Hanna Barbera/Tales from the Crypt sets for $3.00.
Old 07-30-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by greyslade View Post
So what's the consensus? Think there will be another round of boxset gold?
I wouldn't count on it. My guess is once the lawsuit was filed they weren't able to sell any more sets to Big Lots. That's speculation but it makes sense.
Old 07-30-09, 10:22 PM

Trip to Clifton NJ Big Lots today was a bust. The only boxes they had were one remaining Larry King and one remaining Joey (no comments, please...).

What was interesting is that they apparently got a very limited single titles restock. Very few titles, and only one or two of each, but I'm certain these weren't there last time I stopped in. I spotted among others:
Bright Lights Big City
Supernova
Dances With Wolves
Doctor Faustus
Forever Darling
Bad Influence
Custer Of The West
Old 07-30-09, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I wouldn't count on it. My guess is once the lawsuit was filed they weren't able to sell any more sets to Big Lots. That's speculation but it makes sense.
They didnt sell them to big lots, a subsupplier did.

This is the same supplier that sold them to newberry comics and such, they just couldnt move it as fast as they thought they could so they just dumped it on big lots.

Now the big question is, will that supplier be held responsible too..(possesion and sale of stolen goods, etc
Old 07-30-09, 10:51 PM

I was in Second Spin tonight and guess what they had for sale? The infamous Looney Tunes Collection Set with the character pins. With all the people who actually wanted that set doesn't it sucks that somebody bought it just to flip it?
Old 07-30-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, after checking yesterday, I'm pretty sure that the party is over... But that is a good thing. I now have about a zillion hours of material to spin. Rock.

I'm done and very much looking forward to stopping in every so often for household cleaning supplies, etc.. Of course, and the $3 DVD movie deals. A lot of those got lost in the madness but I still have a stack of 20 or so movies to watch in addition to that zillion hours of sets.

Did my part to pump some cash into the economy... Between the ~ $300 that I dropped in the last month or so and the gas + food and actually buying shit in Big Lots. Win-Win!

DVD Planet also got some love... Since I found or traded for most of the ER seasons, I filled in the gaps with my store credit. I'm now complete to date.

This has been very, very enjoyable.
Old 07-30-09, 11:02 PM

Wemt to 3 BLs today in South Florida (Hollywood)........Nothing new, I found 3 DVDs at the 1st one I picked up. I got the Only copy (which was hidden )of HB Birdman and the Galaxy Trio. I also picked up the only copy of Jacques Cousteau River Explorations and was about to check out and looked again to find the only copy of Lois and Clark V4.

Not too bad of a day for $9.
Old 07-30-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bmvtoys View Post
They didnt sell them to big lots, a subsupplier did.

This is the same supplier that sold them to newberry comics and such, they just couldnt move it as fast as they thought they could so they just dumped it on big lots.

Now the big question is, will that supplier be held responsible too..(possesion and sale of stolen goods, etc
Thats's what I was referring to. The supplier isn't selling anything else.
Old 07-30-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank View Post
I was in Second Spin tonight and guess what they had for sale? The infamous Looney Tunes Collection Set with the character pins. With all the people who actually wanted that set doesn't it sucks that somebody bought it just to flip it?
Santa Monica, or Sherman Oaks? How much were they asking for it?
Old 07-30-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mickactual View Post
Bright Lights Big City
Dances With Wolves
Both of these that I saw were the single-disc foolscreen versions so buyer beware!

I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and then I'm going to hit up Big Lots. I hope I haven't missed the $10 sets.
Old 07-30-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nothing of interest in Nashville on Nolensville this afternoon either. I saw very few of the box sets last week when i went. Not sure if the hoarders killed it, or if they never got the sets.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.