DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 08-03-09, 11:11 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 6

Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
I've never understood why people put stuff as collectible ... It may go out of print one day, but until that day they have to store the stuff.
Maybe that's why it's a collectible, because they're the ones having to collect all that clutter until their presumed payoff arrives years from now!
Old 08-03-09, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by House13 View Post
Alright, I just read through all this stuff and something similar happened to me, albeit this was during the first wave of stuff. Some guy had placed them on a shelf right next to the DVDs and walked away. So I assumed he was done and told the wife to check those out, since she was with me and looking desperately for ER. Well the stack had two ERs and she took them. The guy came back about 2 minutes later and started complaining about "his stuff" missing. He looked at my hands, nothing. Then he saw the ER in my wife's hands and started throwing a fit about how that was his stuff..blah blah blah. Needless to say I told him to back off and leave my wife alone cause he was starting to get in her face. I grabbed the wife and we headed up front to check out, the whole time the guy was complaining and following us. We go outside and I get the wife in my truck (yes I still open doors for her, I am a gentleman after all). This guy is still bitching and is approaching fast, so I think fight! However once he saw me coming towards him with a full head of steam he ran right back into the store. Man was I pissed. It's one thing to mess with me, but you don't mess with my wife. Also, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had legitimate claim to the stuff. I mean lots of times people will place DVDs on the top of the four way rack while they are looking. I'll always ask if that stack is theirs before I try to see what's in it. But when he felt entitled to something he left on a shelf for several minutes, no one is going to win that argument with me. It may sound stupid over some DVDs but for me it's all about the principle of the matter. It's like the bartender that keeps your change. Yes I am giving you a tip, but don't assume I don't want change back, totally the principle of the matter. And even though it sounds childish I probably would of picked what I wanted out of the stack, taunted the guy for being stupid enough to leave his stuff on the floor (I mean if you have an inclination that you are trying to buy a ton of DVDs grab a cart when you first come in), and probably hit the stack so it slid all over the floor. Call me a bully if you will, which I'm not, but things like that just piss me off to no end.
Sorry for the long post, but that's my 2 cents.
What store was this? I saw an asshole like that at the Watson Rd. store about a week and a half ago.

Last edited by jones; 08-03-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-03-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, I just read through all this stuff and something similar happened to me, albeit this was during the first wave of stuff. Some guy had placed them on a shelf right next to the DVDs and walked away. So I assumed he was done and told the wife to check those out, since she was with me and looking desperately for ER. Well the stack had two ERs and she took them. The guy came back about 2 minutes later and started complaining about "his stuff" missing. He looked at my hands, nothing. Then he saw the ER in my wife's hands and started throwing a fit about how that was his stuff..blah blah blah. Needless to say I told him to back off and leave my wife alone cause he was starting to get in her face. I grabbed the wife and we headed up front to check out, the whole time the guy was complaining and following us. We go outside and I get the wife in my truck (yes I still open doors for her, I am a gentleman after all). This guy is still bitching and is approaching fast, so I think fight! However once he saw me coming towards him with a full head of steam he ran right back into the store. Man was I pissed. It's one thing to mess with me, but you don't mess with my wife. Also, I wouldn't have had a problem if he had legitimate claim to the stuff. I mean lots of times people will place DVDs on the top of the four way rack while they are looking. I'll always ask if that stack is theirs before I try to see what's in it. But when he felt entitled to something he left on a shelf for several minutes, no one is going to win that argument with me. It may sound stupid over some DVDs but for me it's all about the principle of the matter. It's like the bartender that keeps your change. Yes I am giving you a tip, but don't assume I don't want change back, totally the principle of the matter. And even though it sounds childish I probably would of picked what I wanted out of the stack, taunted the guy for being stupid enough to leave his stuff on the floor (I mean if you have an inclination that you are trying to buy a ton of DVDs grab a cart when you first come in), and probably hit the stack so it slid all over the floor. Call me a bully if you will, which I'm not, but things like that just piss me off to no end.
Sorry for the long post, but that's my 2 cents.
I would have done exactly the same thing and agree with your stance. I'll never figure out people who suddenly assume that a public space is also their private space and that only their rules apply. And it's not just in a retail situation, it happens all the time in various venues that are for lack of a better phrase, "shared spaces." Or when was the last time you were in a movie theater and someone didn't converse or parade their cell phone throughout the movie? I was raised to be publicly conscientious and considerate, something that seems quite alien to many folks today.
Old 08-03-09, 01:13 PM

Don't have to worry about this at my BL as I checked at lunch today and the party seems to be over. Same old stuff that has been there all this time.

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
I would have done exactly the same thing and agree with your stance. I'll never figure out people who suddenly assume that a public space is also their private space and that only their rules apply. And it's not just in a retail situation, it happens all the time in various venues that are for lack of a better phrase, "shared spaces." Or when was the last time you were in a movie theater and someone didn't converse or parade their cell phone throughout the movie? I was raised to be publicly conscientious and considerate, something that seems quite alien to many folks today.
Old 08-03-09, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
its a shame that such vulgar displays of public behavior have become such common place
Old 08-03-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Love all the 'big' talk in this thread.
My Big Lots had a fortune teller machine at the front of the store with all the candy machines.
Old 08-03-09, 05:08 PM
Cool New Member

Just curious,
Anyone return any of the extra sets they have to Biglots?? I went to return a couple of sets and they were showing as being recalled and were having problems finding ways to give me back my refund
Old 08-03-09, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jones View Post
What store was this? I saw an asshole like that at the Watson Rd. store about a week and a half ago.
It was the Kingshighway one. That store always has some interesting people, customers or employees.
Old 08-03-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sdfan21 View Post
Just curious,
Anyone return any of the extra sets they have to Biglots?? I went to return a couple of sets and they were showing as being recalled and were having problems finding ways to give me back my refund
O O. If they are truly recalled (due to the lawsuit) and their system reflects as such, they probably won't let us buy any even if they have stock on their shelves. I hope it was just a fluke. Which sets did you try returning? And why didn't you ask me if I wanted them first?
Old 08-03-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sdfan21 View Post
Just curious,

Which ones? That is too funny...if they really did get "recalled", I bet it is WAY too late for most of them, as most stores seemed to be wiped out by now....

(FYI, I returned a couple Flintstones S2 today without a problem...)
Old 08-03-09, 05:54 PM

It was the Kingshighway one. That store always has some interesting people, customers or employees.
You got that right!
Old 08-03-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I returned some stuff today without any problem. I looked around the store real quick - nothing new had been added - and noticed one of the clerks on his way to restock the shelves with my returns.
Old 08-03-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went by Big Lots today after work. They had even more sets than Saturday, a whole table full of Tales from the Crypt, Lois and Ckark, Flintstones, Murphy Brown, Night Court and Batman Animated season 4. I got some of the Batman sets. Too bad most of these seasons are ones I don't care to watch. I just can't get excited over ER, Lois and Clark or even West Wing.

Deal is definitely not dead!
Old 08-03-09, 06:31 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kenbenobi View Post
O O. If they are truly recalled (due to the lawsuit) and their system reflects as such, they probably won't let us buy any even if they have stock on their shelves. I hope it was just a fluke. Which sets did you try returning? And why didn't you ask me if I wanted them first?
kenbenobi,

It was murphy brown and a justice league collection (3 pack). i looked through the exchange forums but everyone seems to want tales from cypt 7, animaniacs vol3 as well as the pinky and the brain vol3 or the looney tunes 1-5 set so i figured no one is gonna want these sets and since i got justice league a couple of days ago those episodes were already included. it must have taken them 20 minutes to figure it out! there were no more dvd sets just the basic 3 dollar dvds we have seen before the sales.
Old 08-03-09, 06:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post

Which ones? That is too funny...if they really did get "recalled", I bet it is WAY too late for most of them, as most stores seemed to be wiped out by now....

(FYI, I returned a couple Flintstones S2 today without a problem...)
that is great that you got a refund without the cashier asking for someone to help her then when the manager comes he has problems as well. who knows but yea it kept saying "item has been recalled no such item is in stock" on the cashiers monitor and would not let the cashier give refund automatically every time she scanned item and receipt
Old 08-03-09, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 View Post
Went by Big Lots today after work. They had even more sets than Saturday, a whole table full of Tales from the Crypt, Lois and Ckark, Flintstones, Murphy Brown, Night Court and Batman Animated season 4. I got some of the Batman sets. Too bad most of these seasons are ones I don't care to watch. I just can't get excited over ER, Lois and Clark or even West Wing.

Deal is definitely not dead!
Excellent! Somewhere there is a table in a Big Lots somewhere that has some good stuff!
Old 08-03-09, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Keith123 View Post
Excellent! Somewhere there is a table in a Big Lots somewhere that has some good stuff!
Haha...yeah, I asked him Sat. - No reply.

I'm just going to "assume" this is my store and check one more time(I promise) as I'm finding sobriety sucks.
Old 08-03-09, 07:23 PM

found today-
final destination 3, 2 disc widescreen special edition for $3, been told that #3 is the best out of the series

also, a real classic that I dont recall seeing mentioned, sweet bird of youth, with paul newman, also $3
Old 08-03-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since the Kingshighway and Watson Road Stores are pretty close to each other, I wonder if each of you ran into the same hoarder at different stores.
Old 08-03-09, 07:53 PM

I went to my local stores but found nothing new besides Flintstones Season 2. Everything looks pretty well tapped out. I hope someone can confirm the Val Lewton collection - I'd knock myself out trying to find one.
Old 08-03-09, 07:57 PM

I went to the Modesto store on Prescott last week and they had just put some new sets out. Scooby Doo Movies, Super Bowl sets, Pinky and Brain Vol 1, Animaniacs Vol 1. I only picked up a Flintstones Seas 2 because it was sealed. Hadn't seen those sealed before.
Old 08-03-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Keith123 View Post
I am so there!... Let's go...................
Old 08-03-09, 08:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
found today-
final destination 3, 2 disc widescreen special edition for $3, been told that #3 is the best out of the series
whoever told you this was wrong. #1 & #2 are pretty good. #3 is bad. so so bad.
Old 08-03-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by yellahoosh View Post
I went to my local stores but found nothing new besides Flintstones Season 2. Everything looks pretty well tapped out. I hope someone can confirm the Val Lewton collection - I'd knock myself out trying to find one.
Yeah i went to a couple BL's in San Jose hoping to stumble upon the VLC.

No such luck...but that would be a major major find.
Old 08-03-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Will M View Post
whoever told you this was wrong. #1 & #2 are pretty good. #3 is bad. so so bad.
It's not all bad. Don't forget the tanning booth scene.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.