DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-29-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Big Lots Part 6

As the sole Canadian to allegedly take part in this filthy exercise, I have diplomatic immunity. If any such ill-gotten lucre did come back here with me--and I'm not saying it did, because I cannot recall the details at this time--they would be considered the sovereign property of Her Majesty The Queen. Cheerio and all that!

Phibes? Phibes who? Wait, what's he doing with that gun?!?

Last edited by Brian T; 07-29-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
I really don't expect BL to pull anything, & in fact I'll be surprised if we don't see more from this batch.
Big Lots doesn't have to pull anything since they are not involved in the lawsuit at all.
Old 07-29-09, 09:54 PM

I checked the Cambridge, OH store this morning. Saturday I had talked to the manager and he said they still had a box they'd put out for the start of the sale today. This morning there were several other people waiting for them to open also wanting the DVDs. They didn't have any new stock and the clerks claimed everything was already out. With this latest news it looks like the chances of finding much else are slim. I've posted my wants and extras over in the exchange thread. What I can't get through there I'll have to keep an eye out for at the flea markets. I know a couple dealers I'm sure have really stocked up on this stuff.
Old 07-29-09, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
If the story turns out to be legit, then it explains the appeareance of the Best Buy exclusive of Appleseed steelbook at Big Lots. Still, I don't agree with what Warner did with this overstock, which is probably similar to what all the studios did with the HD-DVDs. It's sad and stupid that studios prefer to loss money by paying companies to destroy their unsold stock than to sell those to the masses at a minimal profit. Believe it or not, those DVDs bought at Big Lots at those cheap prices have cause great joy to a lot of people right now around the country. Those seasons sets, cartoons and films are a great distraction to many of the economic issues that are going on.
its called price fixing and companies have done it for years. companies find it more financially viable to destroy product rather than dump it at an insanely low price and de-value the market. they want to keep the "perceived value" to the consumer high so that they will continue to buy at a high price. look what this big lots thing did to the price of box sets on ebay and amazon marketplace.

Last edited by jgorow; 07-29-09 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Big Lots doesn't have to pull anything since they are not involved in the lawsuit at all.
I would imagine that they already have whatever they have in their warehouse and will continue to distribute it. It is the place that was supposed to destroy them and the place they sold the stuff to who are in trouble. Big Lots will keep on going.
Old 07-29-09, 10:33 PM

The NoHo store (Vineland Av) got a shipment of the new $3 New Line movies people have been seeing. Some of the titles:
Shine, Austin Powers Goldmember, Surviving the Game, Sugar & Spice, Secondhand Lions, The Corrupter, The Hidden, State & Main, Heaven's Prisoners, Mother Night, Simpatico.
Old 07-29-09, 10:40 PM

Found nothing in the Pensacola/Milton stores today that interested me. I'm not sure if anything new was out, although I did see a lot of Superbowl sets that I'd never really noticed. I couldn't care less about football, so it's possible they were there the whole time and I just paid no attention. I also saw a $10 set for the first time. I don't know if it was one of THE $10 sets, but it was $10. It was some sort of anime, Angels something or something Angels. Everything else was the same old thing, plenty of West Wing, Joey, Knots Landing, Tracey Takes On, and Life Goes On.

I had some extra time, so I decided to take the half-hour drive to Crestview and check out the store there. I was looking over the last rack and said, "Come on, give me SOMETHING to make this trip worthwhile." And then right as I finished the sentence, I came across Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show for $6. It wasn't one of my most wanted, but it was definitely on my want list. Everything else there was the same, except for a couple of Flintstones season 3, which have disappeared everywhere else.

I'm probably done for the week, although I am going to a few stores Friday with Big Lots (Big Lotses?) next door, so I might go in those while I'm there.
Old 07-29-09, 10:43 PM
Cool New Member

Well the only problem with this is that alot of the sets I bought had a new upc code sticker over the orginal one, So if they were suppose to be destroyed why would they do this?
Old 07-29-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of the Louis & Clark sets I bought had the Best Buy exclusive comic book inside. So some come from Best Buy.
Which season would this be?
Old 07-29-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the stores here finally put out some more product. Was finally able to score a Thundercats S2V2 box set as well as some other stuff for trade bait.
Old 07-29-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dead000 View Post
There's no possible way True Blood has shown up at BL. It's one of HBO's highest selling T.V. box sets. Deadwood? Maybe. True Blood? NO WAY.

I want to see that receipt.
If it's anything like the receipts i've been getting then there's no way to tell which DVD's they are. And i'm with you, I don't believe for a second that True Blood is at Big Lots, I call bullshit on that. And what gets me is someone would only buy 1 copy? Yeah right! If anyone really found True Blood sets at Big Lots they would buy multiple copies because you know you can turn a profit or use it to score some good trades with. I'm not so sure I even believe Deadwood, and yet someone happened to find BOTH of these at 1 store? Righhhhttt.... If it were me I would have snapped pics of them IN THE STORE for proof.

Last edited by Maxflier; 07-29-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 11:28 PM
Cool New Member

From the Rochester, NY area stores

East Rochester and Henrietta stores had the usual Joeys, Dukes of Hazard and Tracey Takes On. The only interesting thing I found in Henrietta was the last copy of Wait Til your Father Gets Home.

The Greece store had about 10 Wacky Races, a couple of Flintstones Season 2 and about 4 Los Angeles Lakers Complete History.

The Irondequoit store didn't have much at the DVD displays. But when I was going out, I noticed on a shelf behind the glass cases near the exit there were some Flintstones (season 2 I think) and 3 sets of Popeye Vol 1, none which seemed to be sealed.
Old 07-29-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Folks,

We bought all this stuff fair and square and if Warner Brothers, being the huge-ass studio they are, can't do their jobs properly and conduct a background check on the company they requisitioned to originally destroy the DVDs in the first place, then that's their loss and nobody should be held accountable for the goof-ups made at the WB.

They should have known better than to deal with a third party that probably had a shady past and reputation to begin with and they should have had alterante plans to "destroy" the DVDs if they were planning on doing so to begin with.

Besides, why in the hell would the WB want these DVD sets destroyed to begin with and cause a huge mess as a result, if stores such as Big Lots and other smaller discount chains can sell them at a fraction of the costs and make a lot of people happy, especially the kids with those HB sets and make a little profit off of them? It's called free enterprise.

I mean, for all that is good WB, put money to the side for the time being and think of the kids who are thrilled with having these cartoons on DVD and to all of us who busted our asses off driving and walking and spending countless number of hours and energy and effort to locate these things at a cost we ALL can afford, instead of the blown-up prices you see at Best Buy and other major retailers, especially with this crappy economy we're living in right now! The WB seriously needs to look at this in another way!

Shape up WB and learn to take responsibility for your own actions and go after the third party that did all this to your firm to start with and not go after the stores or anyone else that carried your products or the customers who legally bought these sets.

Hell, be grateful we're all taking it off your hands and getting a little enjoyment out of these products that would have cost us an arm and a leg to begin with, considering how everything else in the entertainment world has been going up lately. WB made a blunder!

Last I checked, we're allowed to buy products at stores that are offered on sale and by God, that's what we all did! I don't think that's a terrible crime and we paid hard-earned money for those products and it wasn't easy either to attain them! Trust us on that!

Suck it up, WB and go after those people (IWMB, Inc.) who caused all this to you but you folks at WB should have done your homework and research before ever entrusting them in the first place to do this favor for you! You screwed up bigtime! Deal with it!
Old 07-29-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Why in the hell would they pay someone to destroy their DVD's for them? Surely it can't be that hard a thing to do that they couldn't handle such a task themselves.
Old 07-30-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by troubleman View Post
I've gone to all of the Richmond locations, but they didn't have much. They had a few of the $3 sets. I hope that you find more than I did.
They HAVE had good stuff, but it has all been bought up now (I have been to all seven area BL stores multiple times in the past couple of weeks)....I managed to grab lots of sets before some of the stores got plundered (and I mean REALLY plundered).....here is an example:
Last Friday, I went to the store on Midlothian Turnpike at around 11:30 am, and they had a full supply of all kinds of the good $3 titles....multiple copies of seasons 1-5 of Flintstones, lots of other classic WB animated series, all four seasons of Lois and Clark, multiple Tales From The Crypt sets, Superman live action seasons, four or five copies of Thundercats S2 V2, etc....I go back there that evening around 6:30 or so, and it was pretty much all wiped out, except for some season 2 Flintstones sets that lacked shrinkwrap.....
Old 07-30-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, do it yourself. Why in the hell would they pay someone to destroy their DVD's for them? Surely it can't be that hard a thing to do that they couldn't handle such a task themselves.
I guess it's possible they don't have the facilities or resources to destroy that many DVDs (2 mill+).
Old 07-30-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I guess it's possible they don't have the facilities or resources to destroy that many DVDs (2 mill+).
50 chimps, each with their own shredder, could have it done in a day (and they work for CHEAP, too!)
Old 07-30-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought the following today:

Flintstones Seasons 1, 2 and 3
Popeye Volume 1
Tracey takes on ... Season 1

Here's what my receipt listed:

Tracey Takes On S1
Popeye
Flintstones S3
Flintstones Season 2
Home Decor [Ace Ventura] All Righty Then![/Ace Ventura]

Seeing and buying these new sets has renewed my hope that I can find some of the $10 sets soon. All I want is the IMAX and America's Game sets. I already have the Kubrick box set and I would like to pick up a Looney Tunes set for a friend, but it's not necessary to.
Old 07-30-09, 01:14 AM
Cool New Member

We have several Big Lots in the San Antonio area. Went to one today and found nothing. The district manager was there so the employee asked me if I wanted to talk with him. I said yes, the proceeded to ask him if store policy could be changed to only sell one DVD per person. His reply was "hell no, I a customer wanted to buy an entire display of DVDs he would sell as many DVDs to them for however many they wanted to buy". So if a district manager said this, it doesn't look good for the rest of us against the Ebay hoarders.
Old 07-30-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650 View Post

Suck it up, WB and go after those people (IWMB, Inc.) who caused all this to you but you folks at WB should have done your homework and research before ever entrusting them in the first place to do this favor for you! You screwed up bigtime! Deal with it!
Many, Many MANY years ago i had a temp job for a temp company that was paid by a local hospital to shred some records. The company didn't shred them, they actually burned & buried them on a beach. The company also screwed me out of some overtime. Needless to say, I had a talk with the president of the hospital...................... I got my overtime & I suspect the company in question got a lawsuit. They definitely were terminated on the spot.
Old 07-30-09, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A day or two ago, I was going to make a crack about how they should bury all of those copies of Joey out in the desert next to all of those E.T. Atari cartridges.

Looks I wasn't too far off the mark!
Old 07-30-09, 03:36 AM

I went back to a local Big Lots today, it is one of 4 located within 30 miles of me here on the coast of South MS. I was happy to see they had a fresh supply of dvd sets since my trip last week. This time I picked up the following for $3 each:

Flintstones Season 4 (sealed)
Flintstones Season 5 (not sealed
Popeye Vol 1 (1933-1938)
Peebles and Bamm Bamm Complete Series
Top Cat Complete Series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop Complete Series
House Party 3
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers 2 Disc Collecter Edition (Walmart Exclusive Packaging)

The last time I was there I saw the WB Academy Award Animation Collection set but didn't pick it up since I hadn't seen it before and didn't know if it was good. Now I regret that I didn't get it when I had the chance and of course it was gone today when I went back. The cashier asked me if I liked the Flintstones b/c she was a fan as well. She told me that she had picked up a few seasons along with some of the other HB box sets. During the conversation, she let me know that they get a truck on Mondays so I told her I might have to check back once a week to see if they get anything new in.

I saw a couple sets I hadn't seen before such as some Angels set; it looked like it was a vol on a dvd and a plush toy inside the box. I saw one Jacques Cousteau Exploration set but passed as well. I kind of regret not getting the Tales from The Crypt sets when I saw them before b/c I just wasn't sure if I would be interested in that type of show but for the price, I wouldn't be out of too much if I didn't end up liking it. Of course, I haven't come across any $10 sets, hopefully one day.

The store closest to me, which is literally a mile from where I live, didn't get anything new dvd wise on the truck from Mon. I'm able to check this store almost daily since I can just stop by there before I go home after work. They had a good selection the first time I checked when I learned about this deal but every since that day, the selection has been pitiful to say the least with no restock.
Old 07-30-09, 04:20 AM

yeah, looks like things are starting to dry up already
Old 07-30-09, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Note to Warner Bros.: If you want something done right, have Perkinsun Dzees do it. If you need to destroy any more DVDs just send them all to him and he will take care of it for free.
Fixed
Old 07-30-09, 07:39 AM

Hey All,

I found this news story about Warner Bros/IWMB, and I am not sure that the stuff showing up at Big Lots is part of it.

cidadeverde.com/entretenimento_txt.php?id=41924

I translated the site and it looks like it they are only suing them over copies of Dark Knight?!? But it also sites the Hollywood Reporter story that was posted here as a reference. I really hope the stuff keeps showing up at Big Lots ... It's been nice to get all the old cartoons for my daughter!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.