Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 05:01 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 538 Likes on 474 Posts
Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

Originally Posted by RedTail
Mechanicsburg, PA store is pretty new, so there wasn't a whole lot there. The other store in my area wasn't on that preliminary list that BB put out. Did they ever release an updated one?

Also, how the hell are you supposed to get the discs out of this Black Lagoon set without damaging them? They're bending in all kinds of crazy directions and won't release!
There is a finalized version. Read this post (toward the beginning of this thread) for more details.

As for the disc removal from Scanavo hubs, try this method. I own plenty of DVDs using this type of hub and I never have any issues with them...
Old 03-03-09, 05:03 PM
WTK

Re: Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - March '09

Originally Posted by Chris S
Would kill to find 5 Centimeters per Second 'cus there is no way I'm paying those Amazon Marketplace prices. Still hoping for a Blu-ray release sometime this year.
Who is going to release it? It doesn't belong to ADV anymore. Bandai Ent. denied that they have this property (even with the Bang Zoom involvement with new dub). Maybe someone will be picked up in the future, but it's highly unlikely that it will be this year.
Old 03-03-09, 05:06 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by junglalien
I should have grabbed Blood+ box set even though its 4:3.
It's the first part of the series only. It also contains dubtitles. It's still unclear of when/if the last boxset will come out. Hopefully it will be released sometime this summer (mid/late).
Old 03-03-09, 05:08 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^
I also took WTK's post to heart and pre-ordered the following at the kiosk-

Negima Season 2, Part 2 $21.49(in-store pick-up)
Berserk Collection $14.99(in-store pick-up)
Shuffle Collection $24.99(plus $2.49 shipping)

Total with tax $67.65

BTW, Paniponi Dash is definitely not part of the sale.
Good. At least one more person was able to take advantage of this.

EDIT: ...and that's a fabulous price for Berserk remastered release. I thought of doing store pick-up as well, but I went with the safe route just in case my stores won't get them.

Last edited by WTK; 03-03-09 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you work off that 65 cents?
They were generous enough to let me scrub their floors with a toothbrush.

But seriously....Wish I was able to find Elemental Gelade. May check out another store on my next day off....not sure what will be left though.
Old 03-03-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any other suggestions for worthwhile series to check out for the crazy prices at BB?

Oh and I grabbed (for myself):

DBGT Season 1 & 2
Death Note Vol. 8 LE (all the stores were sold out of 9 )
DBGT Lost Episodes Box Set
Code Geass Part 2 Box
Pet Shop of Horrors - $8 (excited to watch this one)
Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage Vol. 2 & 3 (FINALLY!)

and after looking at FOUR BEST BUYS..the 4th one had ONE COPY of

AKIRA BLU-RAY!!!

tho sadly didn't find Samurai 7 blu-ray and I have a couple copies of Freedom BR Box Set and Gunbuster BR Box Set...anyone recommend I watch these?

Last edited by DVDmaniac14; 03-03-09 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 05:20 PM
WTK

TRSI Bargain Bin restock (with very limited quanity)...though the price went up $3.
Old 03-03-09, 05:31 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
any other suggestions for worthwhile series to check out for the crazy prices at BB?
What kind of series are you looking for? It's kind of hard to suggest something when we are not sure what you already have/don't have...
tho sadly didn't find Samurai 7 blu-ray and I have a couple copies of Freedom BR Box Set and Gunbuster BR Box Set...anyone recommend I watch these?
Samurai 7 has gotten some unfavorable reviews. Freedom is underrated. Gunbuster/Diebuster is pretty good though it's only the compilation of the original releases (Gunbuster / Gunbuster 2). I still hoping for a Gunbuster 2 Blu-ray release sometime in the future. Out of those three, I like Freedom the best.
Old 03-03-09, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
As for the disc removal from Scanavo hubs, try this method. I own plenty of DVDs using this type of hub and I never have any issues with them...
Funny... In all seriousness though, the hub was extremely tight. I ended up having to take a pair of pliers and bending it inward.
Old 03-03-09, 05:46 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by RedTail
Funny... In all seriousness though, the hub was extremely tight. I ended up having to take a pair of pliers and bending it inward.
That's actually another somewhat common method that people do. However just make sure that you are patient and take the disc out at right angle. There are plenty of stories out there of people breaking their DVDs...
Old 03-03-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Good. At least one more person was able to take advantage of this.

EDIT: ...and that's a fabulous price for Berserk remastered release. I thought of doing store pick-up as well, but I went with the safe route just in case my stores won't get them.
I thought about having them shipped, but $2.49 for each DVD, come on! I figure that Berserk will be released before the sale ends. If it appears that my local store isn't going to get this, I'll have time to go back to the kiosk and re-order for home delivery.
Old 03-03-09, 06:06 PM
WTK

I thought about having them shipped, but $2.49 for each DVD, come on! I figure that Berserk will be released before the sale ends. If it appears that my local store isn't going to get this, I'll have time to go back to the kiosk and re-order for home delivery.
For someone like myself, that amount wouldn't bother me. However there is another matter of whether if BB.com fix the prices before the sale ends (and your store end up not getting it). There is still some uncertainty of which/what upcoming anime that these stores will stock. Is this preliminary info or something that subjected to change...
Old 03-03-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
For someone like myself, that amount wouldn't bother me.
I think that you just called me a deadbeat!
Old 03-03-09, 06:58 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
For someone like myself, that amount wouldn't bother me.
I think that you just called me a deadbeat!
That never crossed my mind, but that's a rather interesting interpretation...
Old 03-03-09, 07:48 PM

Previously picked up:
Originally Posted by Erdrick
DBZ S6 19.99
DBZ S7 17.99
Black Lagoon 17.99
Then I stopped by my local BB and boy did I ever luck out. The manager was taking 50% of all anime at the register (including the stuff already ringing up at 50% off). So I picked up:

Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl 3.74
Najica Blitz Tactics 7.49
Shakugan no Shana 12.49
Witchblade 14.49
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 12.49

I tried to go back in later today to get more stuff, but they had figured it out. Still, I picked up:

5 Centimeters per Second 10.99
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan 8.49

Still looking for but have not found: Dragon Ball Z Season 8, Magical Witch Punie-Chan, Love Hina, Glass Fleet, and Samurai 7 Blu-ray
Old 03-03-09, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Erdrick
Previously picked up:

Then I stopped by my local BB and boy did I ever luck out. The manager was taking 50% of all anime at the register (including the stuff already ringing up at 50% off). So I picked up:

Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl 3.74
Najica Blitz Tactics 7.49
Shakugan no Shana 12.49
Witchblade 14.49
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 12.49

I tried to go back in later today to get more stuff, but they had figured it out. Still, I picked up:

5 Centimeters per Second 10.99
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan 8.49

Still looking for but have not found: Dragon Ball Z Season 8, Magical Witch Punie-Chan, Love Hina, Glass Fleet, and Samurai 7 Blu-ray

UGH! LUCKY!!! Hope the poor cashier didn't have it come out of their check though.
Old 03-03-09, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Anono
UGH! LUCKY!!! Hope the poor cashier didn't have it come out of their check though.
No, it was actually the manager that told the cashiers they were supposed to do that. Unfortunately, somebody finally corrected him.
Old 03-03-09, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the tip on pre-orders at the kiosk, WTK. I had never ordered from there and had just assumed that I would find a computer screen standing alone for me to order there. I had to talk to the sales help in the DVD section and they walked me over to the computers they use to check in-store stock and logged on for me. I used the kiosk for pre-orders as well as anime product that was out of stock from the store that I wanted for 50 percent off. So if your store is out of something, go ahead and order it at the kiosk. My order was:

Princess Tutu Complete collection (Pre release on 4/21/09) $16.49
Full Metal Alchemist Season 2 (Pre release 3/10/09 $24.99
and

Ghost in the Shell Season 1 (not in stock at the store) $19.99

Princess Tutu wasn't available for in store pick up, and I didn't bother to check to see if the other two titles were either, but in retrospect, I agree its safer to go ahead and pay the $2.49 shipping per title, and get the DVD shipped to the house, as opposed to it not being shipped to the store because its not one of the top selling titles for the store. After all the store wouldn't be having the 50% off sale if they were going to carry all anime products in the coming weeks.

So thanks again for the tip, I'm sure many others have made use of it as well, and just haven't bothered to comment here.

My wallet is in a serious hurt right now, I've picked up so much over the past week, but when the price is right, you have got to move.

I went ahead and picked up most of my titles last week, before the sale, while the shelves were still full, and then came in this week to get a price adjustment.

There were three titles I had a problem getting a price adjustment with and they were: Astroboy Boy Box Set vol 1 (which came up in the computer as TV not anime), and Afro Samurai Directors Cut and Afro Samurai Resurrection which were in the computer as action not anime. I walked the manager back to the shelves of anime, and he noted that Astroboy and Afro Samurai Directors cut both had the AN abbreviation for anime on the price tag and so they gave me 50% off. It was simply in the computer under the wrong category. The Afro Samurai Resurrection has the AC abbreviation for Action on the price tag, and so illogical as it is, they refused to price adjust.

I know, I know. It's like advertising all Bruce Willis films 50% off, and then telling the customer that Die Hard is an action film and not categorized as a Bruce Willis film. Go figure. Still, I have had no problem with the other 23 boxsets and films so I can live with it.
Old 03-03-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts

I am RZ Silver so I don't have to worry about any shipping cost, so if I can pre-order Full Metal Alchemist:Complete Season 2 and Claymore Vol. 4 at the kiosk for 50% off then I am going to do that and have it shipped.
Old 03-04-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Columbia House just came out with some BOGO codes that includes Blu-ray as eligible as the freebie. Unfortunately, there is currently no free shipping at CH. Hopefully they will add free shipping to this offer before it expires. The codes can be found here, courtesy of thejester-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9304161-post1972.html

Anime Blu-rays currently available at CH-

Afro Samurai Resurrection $29.96
Appleseed Ex Machina $26.21
Vexille $26.21

They also have Black Lagoon Season 1 for $29.97, but the shipping on that set is a whopping $6.99.
Old 03-04-09, 05:51 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14

Oh and I grabbed (for myself):

DBGT Season 1 & 2
Death Note Vol. 8 LE (all the stores were sold out of 9 )
DBGT Lost Episodes Box Set
Code Geass Part 2 Box
Pet Shop of Horrors - $8 (excited to watch this one)
Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage Vol. 2 & 3 (FINALLY!)

and after looking at FOUR BEST BUYS..the 4th one had ONE COPY of

AKIRA BLU-RAY!!!

where did your $400 spend?
Old 03-04-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hiamiyumi
where did your $400 spend?
im sorry?
Old 03-04-09, 09:12 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by WTK
Who is going to release it? It doesn't belong to ADV anymore. Bandai Ent. denied that they have this property (even with the Bang Zoom involvement with new dub). Maybe someone will be picked up in the future, but it's highly unlikely that it will be this year.
Well I was hoping that Bandai was taking it up since Bang Zoom did the new dub but it appears they haven't. So I guess I'm confused... (not surprising, I know) who funds a new dub of a title with no intentions for redistribution? Or maybe I remember the story incorrectly, did ADV fund the new dub just before closing shop?
Old 03-04-09, 05:21 PM
WTK

Best Buy Anime 50% Off Sale FAQ (B&M / YMMV) - Kiosk Version Update

[AS FAR AS I KNOW] ONLY THE STORES ON THE FINALIZED LIST QUALIFY FOR THE KIOSK DISCOUNT!

You can place anime orders with the 50% off discount on select anime titles. Blu-ray releases are all excluded with the exception of Afro Samurai ($9.99). And this can also include pre-orders. It can also included titles that has been OOS for a long time or not stocked at all. Your orders will be charged with S/H (unless your RZ tier offer it for free). The order will be shipped directly to you.

The 50% discounted pricing may also vary from location to location. The 50% off pre-order releases (past 3/20) should be considered as price glitches. Therefore take advantage while you still can...

Here are some samples from the MN market (release dates based on BestBuy.com) going up to end of April:

Recent Releases (Not stocked in-store)
Ah! My Buddha, Vol.1: $9.99
Doujin Work, Vol.1 (DVD/Manga): $8.49
Tweeny Witches (OVA): $7.49

3/3
Clannad: Complete Collection 1: $14.99
Wandaba Style: Complete Collection (Re-release): $14.99

3/10
FullMetal Alchemist: Season 2 Collection: $24.99
Indian Summer: $14.99
KenIchi - The Mightiest Disciple: Season 1 Collection, Part 1: $17.99
Kiba: Complete Collection 2: $14.99

3/17
Bakugan Battle Bralwers, Vol.3: $4.99
Berserk: Complete Collection (Remastered): $14.99
Bleach, Vol.15 (regular / BB exclusive): $9.99 each
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit, Vol.3: $7.99
Nighthead Genesis, Vol.3: $7.49
Princess Resurrection: Complete Collection 1: $14.99
Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol.12: $10.99
Yumeria: Complete Collection (Re-release): $14.99

3/24
Baccano!, Vol.2: $10.99
Chrono Crusade: Complete Collection (Re-release): $21.49
Claymore, Vol.4: $10.99
Trinity Blood: Complete Collection (Viridian): $17.99

3/31
D.Gray-man: Season 1 Collection, Part 1: $21.49
Dragon Ball Z: Broly Triple Feature (DVD): $10.99
Gravion: Season 1 & 2 Collection (Re-release): $16.49
Negima!?: Complete Collection, Part 2: $21.49
One Piece: Season 1 Collection, Part 4: $17.99
Shigurui - Death Frenzy: Complete Collection (DVD): $21.49
Shuffle!: Complete Collection: $24.99

4/7
Fruits Basket: Complete Collection (Viridian): $17.99
Madlax: Complete Collection (Re-release): $16.49

4/21
Princess Tutu: Complete Collection (Re-release): $16.49
Puni Puni Poemy / Kekko Kamen (Double Feature): $9.99

4/28
Shadow Skill: Complete Collection (Re-release): $16.49
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie: Season 1 & 2 Collection: $24.99

Last edited by WTK; 03-04-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
Best Buy Anime 50% Off Sale FAQ (B&M / YMMV) - Kiosk Version Update

You can place anime orders with the 50% off discount on select anime titles. Blu-ray releases are all excluded with the exception of Afro Samurai ($9.99). And this can also include pre-orders. It can also included titles that has been OOS for a long time or not stocked at all. Your orders will be charged with S/H (unless your RZ tier offer it for free). The order will be shipped directly to you.

The 50% discounted pricing may also vary from location to location. The 50% off pre-order releases (past 3/20) should be considered as price glitches. Therefore take advantage while you still can...
A few questions:

(1) Should we assume that the Kiosk discounted orders will only work if we drop by one of the Best Buy that's actually offering the 50% discount on all anime? (i.e. I would rather travel 4 minutes [best buy not offering the sale] rather than 40 minutes [best buy is offering the sale] to place a Kiosk order.)

(2) Will the kiosk's system automatically deduct 50% at checkout?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.