Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Where are you buying The Dark Knight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Columbia House - they've been good about getting things shipped out fast, so should have it next week.
Old 12-02-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaseyB
I'm going to pick it up at Best Buy...the freebies will be a nice bonus, but I like the figurines too. I'm wondering if the Midnight release will be same as Iron Man, where they'll be giving out free Dark Knight shirts.
The figurines will not be free. According to the ad, the only "freebie" will be a The Joker playing card. It appears that you will have to buy the figurines for $9.99 a piece.

Also, here is the Circuit City cover, for those who haven't seen it:

Old 12-02-08, 12:49 AM

Is circuit city going to have a blu-ray version of that cover as well?

I would pick it up if so...
Old 12-02-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheJoker
Is circuit city going to have a blu-ray version of that cover as well?

I would pick it up if so...
That I don't know, but, notice that it says it includes a Bonus Journal, so, it looks like I'm actually in for three total copies. I've already sold one of them, as I'm only going to get the single-disc from Best Buy, because I've already pre-ordered it to get the Batpod poster, and I'll get to keep The Joker playing card. I need to come up with one more $3.00 off coupon from Papa John's!

Here's what I'm in for, so far:

Single-Disc from Best Buy (of which I've already sold the DVD, but, get to keep the Batpod poster and The Joker playing card).

2-Disc Limited Edition w/Batman Mask packaging from Target

2-Disc Limited Edition w/The Joker cover and Bonus Journal from Circuit City.

I want the Steelbook from F.Y.E, but, since I haven't pre-ordered, I doubt they'll have any left. I'll have to call them tomorrow to find out.

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 12-02-08 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-02-08, 04:40 AM

Ill be picking up my copy 2morrow ...

the video store where i rent movies has them in a week in advanced so ill be waiting outside until the doord open ...
Old 12-02-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If CC has that cover for BD, then I would get it there over Target. Love that cover.
Old 12-02-08, 02:33 PM

I came across these on Best Buy Canada's website (the US site has image placeholders) and should give consumers an idea as to what the Gift Sets will look like come next Tuesday:

No images with Batman's helmet were available.

If Circuit City has the Blu-ray version of The Joker slipcover and the Bonus Journal, I'm in. I read a review somewhere that the DVD transfer was somewhat disappointing, so it's BR or broke for me.
Old 12-02-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice find on that mask pic.
Old 12-02-08, 03:22 PM

This is kind of a silly question, but how limited do you guys think the "batpod" BD set is?

Do you think it's one of those show up when the store opens and hope to get lucky or more a permanent thing that will be around for awhile?
Old 12-02-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I love this cover. I'd buy it at CC if they have it for Blu-ray too. If not it will be whoever has lowest price.

The Joker bust at BB is pretty cool too.
Old 12-02-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Count me in the "Why So Serious Cover or Cheapest Option" Blu-ray crowd. However, since it's not listed on their site or anywhere else yet, I'm not terribly hopeful.

That artwork design is fantastic. I actually think I prefer that to the Joker Card art as a DVD / Blu-ray cover.
Old 12-02-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any info out there about the Circuit City journal?
Old 12-02-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just made my decision. Target Blu-Ray mask. Takes up less space, and I already have the Iron Man and Hulk exclusives... Gotta loves all the different options we have though. Lots of these are way cool...
My BB is doing the midnight thing (they didn't for Iron Man) but it's the farthest location from me. If it was my local store, I might go...
Old 12-02-08, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by tasog37
This is kind of a silly question, but how limited do you guys think the "batpod" BD set is?

Do you think it's one of those show up when the store opens and hope to get lucky or more a permanent thing that will be around for awhile?
I see the term 'limited edition' as being relative where The Dark Knight is concerned. With the exception of Wal-Mart, just about every other retailer I've checked (including Amazon.com, Best Buy, Circuit City & FYE) will be stocking this item. It's anyone's guess as to the actual print run and retail allocation numbers, but given that this is the highest grossing movie of this year and with its release set at the midpoint of the holiday shopping season, I don't believe that it will be difficult to find (unless you've left your shopping till the 24th). I'm actually thankful for the various store exclusives because I'm not a fan of the Batpod.

I say that if it's something you want, just pre-order it and pick it up at your convenience at the customer service counter on the day of its release - problem solved. This way, you don't have to endure the elbowing and shoving customers when the store opens.
Old 12-02-08, 11:10 PM

Circuit Shitty if they have that cover for the Blu-Ray, Target exclusive if they don't. Too bad Target didn't offer HULK with their exclusive packaging on Blu-Ray, but I have to support any retailer that offers the choice of BD or DVD, when too often it's only the latter.

Haven't been feeling any of the Best Buy mini-busts (DK, IRON MAN, CRYSTAL SKULL) -- they should have made the Clown mask larger, like their V FOR VENDETTA exclusive! -- and I might have picked up the Bat-Pod if it was the Tumbler.
Old 12-02-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Renting, TYVM. Don't need any waste-of-money tzotchkes that aren't worth any more than the plastic they're made from, or any bs gimmicky packaging (ooooh, steelbook!), despite the earnest labeling of "LIMITED EDITION!!!!!"

Last edited by drmoze; 12-02-08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Renting, TYVM. Don't need any waste-of-money tzotchkes that aren't worth any more than the plastic they're made from, or any bs gimmicky packaging (ooooh, steelbook!), despite the earnest labeling of "LIMITED EDITION!!!!!"
You edited your post and the first sentance still reads as jibberish

The initial post should reflect the prices and best choices as it would make this thread more necessary.
Old 12-03-08, 12:01 AM

Gah...im so torn as to where to pick up this release (on blu-ray). I like them all too much.
Old 12-03-08, 12:18 AM

I love this cover, but there is no CC store up here, and I am not going to pay $9.49 shipping .
Old 12-03-08, 01:15 AM

You're in luck if you're in Canada and want the Circuit City journal as it's coming to Blockbusters Canada:

It seems that WalMart Canada will have the 1 disc with comic and coin also..
Later
Old 12-03-08, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...I want the Steelbook from F.Y.E, but, since I haven't pre-ordered, I doubt they'll have any left. I'll have to call them tomorrow to find out.
from my experience, there should be no problems with pre-ordering this given that you have almost a week before release date. i guess it could vary by store, but im guessing these will be plentiful, like all the latest fye exclusives.

This is kind of a silly question, but how limited do you guys think the "batpod" BD set is?...
i just stated this re the wanted le, so ill state it again... less limited than you think is what methinks!
Old 12-03-08, 02:48 AM

Who knows...You might find it in next years Black Friday sales!
Old 12-03-08, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Circuit City for the Joker slipcover if they have it for Blu. I got the Target Iron Man head the first time, and its cool for about 5 minutes...then you realize it doesnt fit on the shelf, it takes up a lot of room, fairly cheap looking, etc etc...not going to bother with the Batman head.

Ive got to agree on the Batpod...they still had rows upon rows of the V for Vendetta mask set, the Clerks Moobys Mean box, etc for over a year after the release, and practically giving them away at some point.
Old 12-03-08, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont need to get this as a holiday gift for anyone so I'm going to wait. With so many different versions, I have a feeling every store is going to have extra stock left over and I smell fire sales later on next year. I have no doubt there will be a buying frenzy for The Dark Knight this holiday season, but after a couple of months no one will be picking this up. (But me, hopefully, for a discounted price.)
Old 12-03-08, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Circuit City for the Joker slipcover if they have it for Blu. I got the Target Iron Man head the first time, and its cool for about 5 minutes...then you realize it doesnt fit on the shelf, it takes up a lot of room, fairly cheap looking, etc etc...not going to bother with the Batman head.

Ive got to agree on the Batpod...they still had rows upon rows of the V for Vendetta mask set, the Clerks Moobys Mean box, etc for over a year after the release, and practically giving them away at some point.
I agree - I'm over getting some of these exclusives. I'm interested in extra video content or exclusive print items (not "mini" versions of existing books... I'm still wondering what this "journal" is in the CC set and thinking it might be an excerpt from the hardcover book I already have) and, in some cases, a steelbook version, if available.

I did not like the Iron Man mask at all. The Bat Pod case looks similar and the Bat Pod does nothing for me. If I wanted a Bat Pod, I would've already bought one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.