Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) 80% Borders.com code

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) 80% Borders.com code

Old 09-05-08, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamiam View Post
Mighty Aphrodite? I think they're talking about newer titles.
Sorry, but none of the posts I read (518, 557, 561) mentioned anything about new releases. Only that Borders sells "everything" at MSRP and "inflated" prices.

I don't really care about the coupon controversy (the people involved have to live with themselves) but the exaggerating / lying is a bit out of control.
Old 09-05-08, 06:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
Sorry, but none of the posts I read (518, 557, 561) mentioned anything about new releases. Only that Borders sells "everything" at MSRP and "inflated" prices.

I don't really care about the coupon controversy (the people involved have to live with themselves) but the exaggerating / lying is a bit out of control.
Usually do not think Borders when purchasing DVDs, however, I bought some books from them with $5 off codes and the price was equivalent to Amazon prices after the discount.
Old 09-05-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
While there is most definitely a multiplicity of reasons on why Borders is in a dire financial situation, I don't think it is fair for so many people to get so upset over them not honoring this coupon when they know damn well it would cause the company to lose a fortune. It might be the "corporate bosses" that have caused this mess, but anytime a company of this size goes under, it is society as a whole that has to pay the price for it.
Society pays by having these inefficient corporations operating. We pay because the barriers to entry may be high for an efficient, nimble organization to enter the market. With the death of Borders, maybe the market will ease up a bit and allow for a new entrant. Or not. I don't know, but I don't root for mediocre companies to stay in business just for the sake of jobs. Other jobs would come along.
Old 09-05-08, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You basically provided an example of a single purchase and say others are lying or exaggerating. When I make purchases I compare across DD, Amazon, Borders and Barnes & Noble. 9 out of 10 times Borders and B&N have higher prices with most of my money going to DD and then Amazon.

During some sales I have picked up at Borders but generally speaking I have found them to be more expensive. That is not an exaggeration in my mind.
Old 09-05-08, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
i'm in the same boat with a lot of you, receiving the cancellation email without knowing i made an order.

what i think is happening is that they are probably sending out these emails to everyone that entered the coupon. when we had something in our cart and entered the coupon we were logged in with our email, so now bc of all the confusion they are just sending these out to everyone. at the same time trying to cancel the ones that did get through.

good on you if you got your orders, lucky bastards.

i liked this thread that first night but now with all the people angry at borders i'm pretty put off. like someone said before, the sense of entitlement is astounding. these are the type of customers that businesses don't want and i'm sure they will not mind losing you as customers. i've shopped at borders for as long as there has been a store in my area, mainly books bc of the outrageous prices on dvds. when something like this comes along, sure i'll try to take advantage of it, but in no way do i deserve any type of reimbursement for my time. that's just plain silly and GREEDY.
I agre with you and every other similar posts to this. People on here are showing who they really are with this messed up coupon. Oh, gee, they lost you as a customer. One, they probably won't mind losing you as a costumer if you're trying to take advantage of things like this and two, you probably were never a customer of their stores the first place so stop complaining because it's not their fault you guys are just exploiting their coupons only meant for some people.
Old 09-05-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by moviewizguy View Post
I agre with you and every other similar posts to this. People on here are showing who they really are with this messed up coupon. Oh, gee, they lost you as a customer. One, they probably won't mind losing you as a costumer if you're trying to take advantage of things like this and two, you probably were never a customer of their stores the first place so stop complaining because it's not their fault you guys are just exploiting their coupons only meant for some people.
Three, people that say they won't shop at a store again usually do.

We won't have to worry about shopping there much longer though, I told my daddy what happened. He owns a car lot, and now they're really going to go out of business.

Laugh all you want but I got mad at a mom and pop run video store in the 80s and told my daddy. He owns a car lot and he put most of the mom and pop video stores out of business.
Old 09-05-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never purchased anything there that I didn't HAVE to, such as no other store in the area had what I needed if I needed it like, tomorrow. Their prices are, and have been for a long time, just out of this world (in a bad way). My wife shops there from time to time. I won't stop giving them business. I got one of my orders, the other one, no big deal.

I've had legitimate beefs with Best Buy, very legitimate. Not over stupid sales or anything. I still go to them though, why? Because they still have some of the best prices around me. Sad.
Old 09-05-08, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Three, people that say they won't shop at a store again usually do.

We won't have to worry about shopping there much longer though, I told my daddy what happened. He owns a car lot, and now they're really going to go out of business.

Laugh all you want but I got mad at a mom and pop run video store in the 80s and told my daddy. He owns a car lot and he put most of the mom and pop video stores out of business.
I know you're trying to be funny but you aren't. I know you're trying to act like a generic troll but it's not making anyone angry. You're trying to be cute. We all know this and trying to act like you're going to do what you said you are going to do but you aren't.
Old 09-05-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where do you guys get the idea that Borders is expensive?

Sure they sell box sets and Criterions for MSRP, but they have hundreds, if not thousands of dvds for under $10.

Yesterday I picked up Mighty Aphrodite for 9.99 (cheaper than Amazon or DeepDiscount).

The complaints seem a little dishonest is all.

since you mentioned a single dvd that you found cheaper i'll do the same.

das boot: 2-disc uncut version has been on sale at best buy over the past couple of month from $4.99-9.99, whereas the same day i went into borders for a book and curiously went to check their price on the same dvd...$39.99. not a criterion or a box set. for every one dvd you may find for a few cents cheaper there are hundreds of examples which are not.
Old 09-05-08, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
I never purchased anything there that I didn't HAVE to, such as no other store in the area had what I needed if I needed it like, tomorrow. Their prices are, and have been for a long time, just out of this world (in a bad way). My wife shops there from time to time. I won't stop giving them business. I got one of my orders, the other one, no big deal.

I've had legitimate beefs with Best Buy, very legitimate. Not over stupid sales or anything. I still go to them though, why? Because they still have some of the best prices around me. Sad.
Well, sure their prices are high but with their weekly 40%-30% off coupons, there is usually no complaining. Anyway, I buy most books from Half Priced Books anyway but I recently bought some books at Borders with a 30% off coupon for one item and a $10 off gift card and it was like still over $60. That's a lot...
Old 09-05-08, 07:01 PM

Well, sure their prices are high but with their weekly 40%-30% off coupons, there is usually no complaining. Anyway, I buy most books from Half Priced Books anyway but I recently bought some books at Borders with a 30% off coupon for one item and a $10 off gift card and it was like still over $60. That's a lot...
For me if I've got to use a 30% to 40% coupon just to get it to the price it would be at some other retailer online, I'm going to go with the online store every time. Way less hassle and it gets delivered right to my door (usually for free).
Old 09-05-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know you're trying to be funny but you aren't. I know you're trying to act like a generic troll but it's not making anyone angry. You're trying to be cute. We all know this and trying to act like you're going to do what you said you are going to do but you aren't.
No, the people trolling are the ones acting like their all upset and blaming borders. That's what people are falling for.

There's studies done that confirm that most people that say they won't shop at a place usually go back within a couple weeks. Most people don't really stop going.
Old 09-05-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, the people trolling are the ones acting like their all upset and blaming borders. That's what people are falling for.

There's studies done that confirm that most people that say they won't shop at a place usually go back within a couple weeks. Most people don't really stop going.
You're right. However, it does get a little tiring seeing the same members post constantly about how disgusting everyone is that took advantage of this obvious mistake. As I have already posted, you're not going to shame anyone that thinks they did nothing wrong and everyone else(that would include me) already know that we tried to pull a fast one on Borders and don't need a constant berating. Either way, this thread should be closed or at least moved to another forum to continue the debate on ethics.
Old 09-05-08, 07:48 PM

Received 325 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
Society pays by having these inefficient corporations operating. We pay because the barriers to entry may be high for an efficient, nimble organization to enter the market. With the death of Borders, maybe the market will ease up a bit and allow for a new entrant.
An efficient, nimble organization, like say....Amazon? Oh yeah, they already did.

Or not. I don't know, but I don't root for mediocre companies to stay in business just for the sake of jobs. Other jobs would come along.
I also don't root for them to fail, especially in an already tough economy where the economic downturn and concomitant shortfall in government proceeds has softened up the job market considerably.
Old 09-05-08, 07:54 PM

An efficient, nimble organization, like say....Amazon? Oh yeah, they already did.

I also don't root for them to fail, especially in an already tough economy where the economic downturn and concomitant shortfall in government proceeds has softened up the job market considerably.
I was talking about a B&M start-up, but perhaps market dynamics will never allow for this.

Obviously, this wouldn't be good timing for an organization like Borders to fail.
Old 09-05-08, 08:01 PM

Received 325 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
I was talking about a B&M start-up, but perhaps market dynamics will never allow for this.
I don't believe so. As was stated earlier in the thread, Borders was a well run, profitable business for a while until all the Amazon's showed up who don't have to worry about the high overhead involved with operating several hundred B&M stores. The only real advantage Borders and B&N have is that you can get your item immediately.
Obviously, this wouldn't be good timing for an organization like Borders to fail.
Glad we agree
Old 09-05-08, 08:16 PM

I don't believe so. As was stated earlier in the thread, Borders was a well run, profitable business for a while until all the Amazon's showed up who don't have to worry about the high overhead involved with operating several hundred B&M stores. The only real advantage Borders and B&N have is that you can get your item immediately.
Glad we agree
I think Borders itself is salvageable. It needs to get off its complacent ass and make some changes. Well, that'd be hard, I suppose, since it's a non-living, legal entity, but the PEOPLE running the show need to get off of their complacent asses!
Old 09-05-08, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS) View Post
It's only appropriate the person to start this thread is named theMadness.
I'll take that as a compliment...I think
Old 09-05-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James View Post
You're right. However, it does get a little tiring seeing the same members post constantly about how disgusting everyone is that took advantage of this obvious mistake. As I have already posted, you're not going to shame anyone that thinks they did nothing wrong and everyone else(that would include me) already know that we tried to pull a fast one on Borders and don't need a constant berating. Either way, this thread should be closed or at least moved to another forum to continue the debate on ethics.
I'm not trying to shame anyone. If they got in on it, good job, if not, oh well. I wish I would've gotten in on it but that's what happens when I don't check Bargains.

I agree it would just be nice if it got closed so we can save all this back and forth until the next mistake where one side complains they won't shop there again and the other side damns them to hell.
Old 09-05-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not trying to shame anyone. If they got in on it, good job, if not, oh well. I wish I would've gotten in on it but that's what happens when I don't check Bargains.

I agree it would just be nice if it got closed so we can save all this back and forth until the next mistake where one side complains they won't shop there again and the other side damns them to hell.
Old 09-05-08, 10:14 PM

The fact that you bought "some books" for "over $60" really tells us nothing. You could have purchased 427 books for $61. That would be cheap...
Old 09-05-08, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
That's a great story, bmoore! (another lie)

This thread is going downhill fast...
You're a fucking riot! (yet another lie)

Maybe you should try calling Borders yourself instead of thinking up amazing one liners.
Old 09-05-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CritterYawn View Post
As in the case of Linens'N'Things and a few other businesses with high mark-ups that filed for BK, the huge mark-up does not necessarily correlate with running the business well.

I refuse to believe that there are so many people willing to pay MSRP for books and DVDs (students and professionals are not willing, and there's always the competition). I guess the Borders numbers are way off.
Well: 1, the markup is not huge. I know this for a fact. I have no earthly idea why this coupon was created. I know absolutely for certain the markup is around 40% or so. maybe a little higher, but not much.

2, you can refuse to believe it (and you're wrong about both students and professionals) but that doesn't change the truth of it. It IS a minority, but that minority does include some students and professionals.

I'm not saying anyone has to like it, think it's smart or anything like that, but, at least let's be clear and honest about it.

Originally Posted by logangrey View Post
For me if I've got to use a 30% to 40% coupon just to get it to the price it would be at some other retailer online, I'm going to go with the online store every time. Way less hassle and it gets delivered right to my door (usually for free).
That's a fair attitude. If you say "those prices are too high, I'm going to use an online competitor"--fair enough.
But "they inflate their prices" is horse patooties. There's this lunatic assumption that everyone can work from the exact same distribution system, and thus get and sell everything at the same price. If you're like logangrey and you just say "Too high, going where it's cheaper," well, smart shopping. I usually do the same. But the "inflated" and "high markup" claims are baseless and generally seem to come out of a complete ignorance--especially comparing a MASSIVE online retailer to a B&M (heck, no matter how massive the B&M!). The overhead (as mentioned earlier) is totally different, there's a need to distribute to many, many sites in quantities, etc. It's just not the same business. Does that mean you're required to cut them some slack for your personal purchases? No.
But does it mean that they have reason for higher prices? YES.
If you want to point to other B&Ms (eg Best Buy) they often do sell at a literal loss because their money comes far more from TVs and (don't you know it from how often you're asked!) those extended warranties!
Old 09-06-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Maybe you should try calling Borders yourself instead of thinking up amazing one liners.
I had a much longer post full of "amazing" things to say, but I decided to spare you. Quite simply, bmoore, you crossed the line in my mind. The only thing I apologize for is being the first to call you out. Most of the recent posts in this thread have centered around the ethics of using this coupon code. You leave no doubt where you stand on the issue of ethics. You posted here bragging about the many lies you told to someone in order to get compensation from Borders. I haven't seen anyone patting you on the back or offering a "Way to go!" I found your post to be well outside the spirit of the bargains forum, and quite frankly the closest we've seen in this thread to violating DVD Talk's definition of defrauding a business.
Old 09-06-08, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I had a much longer post full of "amazing" things to say, but I decided to spare you. Quite simply, bmoore, you crossed the line in my mind. The only thing I apologize for is being the first to call you out. Most of the recent posts in this thread have centered around the ethics of using this coupon code. You leave no doubt where you stand on the issue of ethics. You posted here bragging about the many lies you told to someone in order to get compensation from Borders. I haven't seen anyone patting you on the back or offering a "Way to go!" I found your post to be well outside the spirit of the bargains forum, and quite frankly the closest we've seen in this thread to violating DVD Talk's definition of defrauding a business.
cardsfan, you aren't the only one who wanted to throw up upon reading his post...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.