Reload this Page >

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Criterions, Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc.
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order

Return period is 14 days after delivery though possibly it's 30 days now for most people though there is a discrepancy b/w the receipt and website.
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept

Single Item 15% OFF, but should be reusable in different transaction and if the Clerks will scan it more than once.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/promo...100045:K7K8F3B
Expiration 12/31/2020 and despite the coupon language is only good for In-store coupon Eligible items.

The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016
"New Member" Welcome Coupons appear to be discontinued at least for now

Print Wikipost

Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Barnes And Noble Coupon Thread Part 2

Anyone have any idea why the Criterion Classic Hitchcock set of 4 films doesn't show up on the website at 50% off. It a website only set, so not available in stores.
Do you know if going to store and using ship to home if you would get the 50% off? Its not a preorder or from a 3rd party as far as I can tell.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0715515162418

Old 11-01-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Anyone have any idea why the Criterion Classic Hitchcock set of 4 films doesn't show up on the website at 50% off. It a website only set, so not available in stores.
Do you know if going to store and using ship to home if you would get the 50% off? Its not a preorder or from a 3rd party as far as I can tell.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0715515162418
I don't think I've ever seen that item at B&N at all so can't answer why it's not part of the sale. You could try a shiptohome but I would be surprised if it comes up 50% off
That title has always been mostly a Criterion.com exclusive after Costco dropped it -- though Amazon did/does sell it at times

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-01-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 03:07 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Good news. I was able to get the Hitchcock set at 50% off using ship to home. With membership it was $ 42.75 plus tax. Their internal website included it in the sale.
Old 11-01-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Good news. I was able to get the Hitchcock set at 50% off using ship to home. With membership it was $ 42.75 plus tax. Their internal website included it in the sale.
Extra primo good.

Originally Posted by chopin100
Hi hariseldon,
You mentioned in your post to watch out for the gift card sale around this time. Do you know if the gift card sale is happening anytime soon? My dad's birthday is on Sunday and I remember that in the past few years I was able to buy him a $75 gift card and get a $10 gift card for free. I would invariably use the $10 gift card for myself to buy a 50% off calendar in the After Christmas sale. Thank you.

I would also like to thank you for all your help in giving all the Barnes and Noble money saving news to all the people in this forum. This forum has now become my first stop before I buy anything at Barnes and Noble.
I did ask in-store about the Gift Card promo -- definitely not active this weekend. Store 1 didn't have any info, store 2 though there may be something next week -- starting the 5th or 8th, but we'll have to wait. I'm a bit worried with it being late this year.

Also it appears the 'leave an item in cart and they'll send you a link to a 15% coupon' as well as the 'sign into BN.com in a Clean Browser and get a coupon offer for Email signup" both appear eitehr dead or on hiatus.
The last save link I have from the former from late Sept/early Oct no longer is giving an automatic coupon. Some of the Coupon Sites that regularly had 3 or 4 15% One Time Codes posted haven't had any in the last week or two so a bit worrisome esp given the paucity of email codes or even codes posted on the website itself. Usually the Oct Member Mailer packs comes right before the sale and so far nobody is reporting those at all.

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-01-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi hariseldon,

Thank you very much for checking on the gift card promotion. I will watch out for it.

I tried your suggestion in getting the 15% coupon by clearing the browser cache. And I am happy to report that it worked like a charm. Thanks again!

I remember there was a perennial 15% coupon that you had posted a year ago. It worked for the longest time and then it stopped working altogether. I guess all good things must come to an end.
Old 11-02-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which 15% Coupon method did you use? The Saved Cart link or the New Email signup -- I couldn't get either to work yesterday so you may be ahead of me,

I did notice there have been some Happy Teen Card discounts available. These are essentially prepaid Visa cards though some of them only work in-store so these deals still exist.
Last year I bought B&N GC with the Promo in store with these Prepaid cards amplifying the discount -- if you pay $85 for 100 HappyCards and then buy $100 B&N cards with the BF offer that essentially gives you $120 GC for $85 (30% discount)

Publix Grocery had a Buy $50 Happy Card with $10 Groceries and get $10 off -- assuming you have a Publix nad needed $10 Groceries to begin with that's a nice 20% discount. That promotion appears dead for
now unless it's a local promotion, but it seems to show up every few weeks/couple months so I'll keep an eye out.

A couple other grocery store had a $10 back on $100 cards.

A noticed ONE of my AMEX cards had a HAPPYCARD promotion -- $15 back for buying $100 cards directly from Happycards.com. My wife's card on the same exact acct didn't have that offer.
Old 11-03-19, 08:46 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Publix Grocery had a Buy $50 Happy Card with $10 Groceries and get $10 off -- assuming you have a Publix nad needed $10 Groceries to begin with that's a nice 20% discount. That promotion appears dead for
now unless it's a local promotion, but it seems to show up every few weeks/couple months so I'll keep an eye out.
Giant grocery stores in PA currently have this promotion, it's a one-time deal that you have to load on to your rewards card.
Old 11-05-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Gift Card Deal to look for. My AMEX had an Offer to buy $100 HappyCards directly from HappyCards.com and get a $15 Credit. These AMEX deals are a bit YMMV since not everyone and every card get the same OFFER. Placed my order over the weekend and I already got confirmation that the AMEX 15 off 100 worked like a charm. My cards are being mailed from HappyCards.com already, AMEX card charged $100 and within 48 hrs the $15 refund was posted so at the absolute worst I have a 15% discounted GC.

These cards are a bit odd that they're supposed to be active only for certain stores and for certain store it's in-store only. The Happy Teen version specifically includes Barnes and Noble. For in-store they worked great last year for flipping into the B&N promo Gift Cards. I had 3 $50 Happy Cards (cost 127.50 from Staples deal) and bought $150 BN GC -- slid each one in succession and deducted the amt perfectly so by the end I had $180 in B&N credit for $127 ( a nice net 30% discount)

Saw a SlickD post saying the OfficeMax/OfficeDepot has a $20 off $150 on Happy Gift cards for BLACK FRIDAY WEEK. There is some confusion exactly when it will start, but either 11/24-11/30 or
11/28-11/30 online and 29/30 in-store. No details if that will waive any activation fees or more details. That variety is not currently listed online so I may have to check the local store and see what's on their display..

Several Grocery stores seem to have Discounts of some sort on these cards as well. Publix recently had an offer I missed -- buy $50 HappyCard AND $10 Groceries adn get $10 back. It was supposed to be active through 11/9, but I'm not sure if it's just certain areas or you had to 'clip the digital coupon" earlier, but it wasn't on my account/

Other stores have had $5 off 50, 10% off or $10 off $100 with a purchase in certain regions so keep an eye out if this is of some interest..

If B&N does have some sort of deal this year, I'll amplify that this year too. Hopefully some more of these stackable deals popup over the Holidays

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-05-19 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 10:52 PM

We may just be seeing a temporary lull on coupon codes (none in more than 3 weeks now) but if this reflects a new policy against extra discounts, I will not renew my membership when it expires later this month.
B&N prices are too high without the 15% or 20% coupon codes that have been easily available until recently.

Old 11-06-19, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpwilkin
We may just be seeing a temporary lull on coupon codes (none in more than 3 weeks now) but if this reflects a new policy against extra discounts, I will not renew my membership when it expires later this month.
B&N prices are too high without the 15% or 20% coupon codes that have been easily available until recently.
I was wondering myself as the coupons seemed to show up nearly every day. The prices are just not competitive without the coupons, and even with the coupons, the prices can still be more than other sources.
Old 11-07-19, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I was wondering myself as the coupons seemed to show up nearly every day. The prices are just not competitive without the coupons, and even with the coupons, the prices can still be more than other sources.
The 10% member discount is not enough (for me, anyway) if it comes off the list price of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and BDs. If the policy is going to be no (or greatly reduced) discounting in addition to the 10% for members, it seems like corporate suicide to choose to be non-competitive in price. B&N "express" shipping is not all that fast in my experience, so that's not an incentive, either.
Old 11-07-19, 08:25 AM

I signed up for the membership for the 20% off one item coupons. I used them on alot on books, blu ray/DVDs over the years. But if the new coporate/owners are going to phase them out, then I will reconsider keeping the membership. I use the 10% off alot of weekends at my closest BN in the cafe, meeting up with some of the regulars, but it might not be worth it any more. Curious to see if the 30% off coupons will show up this Black Friday. We shall see.....
Old 11-07-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rob559
. Curious to see if the 30% off coupons will show up this Black Friday. We shall see.....
I'm going to say probably not since last year maxed at 25% for BF adn Green Monday. Cybermonday had 20% max
Even Christmas week only had 15% codes and not even the usual 20/25/30% codes that have been available in the past

It sounds like there is some GC promotion in store right now Buy $50 in GC and get a "$10 off $25 coupon" good for use between Dec 3 and Dec 24.

I'm hoping to make a quick run tomorrow and see if I can get more details and work some numbers, but it sounds like a decent deal depending on how and what the coupon would work for.

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-07-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 10:42 AM

hi hariseldon,

thank you very much for the head ups on the GC sale.

I called up the local Barnes and Noble store and the lady who answered the phone told me that there is currently a GC promotion sale indeed. Buy a $50 GC and get a "$10 off $25 coupon" for use between Dec 3 and Dec 24.

Old 11-08-19, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hariseldon
A Gift Card Deal to look for. My AMEX had an Offer to buy $100 HappyCards directly from HappyCards.com and get a $15 Credit. These AMEX deals are a bit YMMV since not everyone and every card get the same OFFER. Placed my order over the weekend and I already got confirmation that the AMEX 15 off 100 worked like a charm. My cards are being mailed from HappyCards.com already, AMEX card charged $100 and within 48 hrs the $15 refund was posted so at the absolute worst I have a 15% discounted GC.
Thanks for this info. I would have missed it otherwise.
Old 11-08-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought one $50 GC in store today. The clerk had never seen or done the new Promotion so the manager had to come over to show her the steps. There were about 20 Ads in the GC stands, at checkout and behind the checkout counter so it's most certainly
not a hidden promotion. Ther was a paper taped to the register with instructions, but it took several steps to do it -- guessing
it's much easier to see it done than read and do on the fly. Very good clerk otherwise -- she was able and will to push through a couple of old 15% codes I had for two 40% off Arrow BD's when the codes didn't appear to apply automatically.

I still haven't quite figured out how it works, but I think it's a $10 loaded special GC that will only work with a $25+ purchase and only after 12/3. Looks different, but I suspect it will function in a similar way as last years PROMO cards except requiring a min. purchase amt and it appears it's one card per purchase instead of being stackable like previous cards, but at least they're good for the the Holiday Shopping period instead of after Christmas
It has a GC # and PIN that looks very much like a normal GC and requires being loaded at the Register like any GC. The fine indicates it's good in store or online and can even be used for a Membership. It even comes back as $10 on the BN GC Balance Check function.

GC promotion appears to be in-store only. Unfortunately my Happy Cards are supposed to be delivered late tonight so I didn't have it with me, but I had a Rebate Card from buying new Auto Tires a few months ago that I used part of it to buy the GC

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-08-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 07:07 AM

Any indication if the $10 off $25 can be used online? Are there usually any sales during that time period?
Old 11-09-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Any indication if the $10 off $25 can be used online? Are there usually any sales during that time period?
The fine print print on the back appears to say it can be used online or in-store. The barcode and Numbers look exactly like a Gift Card. I'm assuming there is something in the code
that blocks you from using more than one at a time or requires a min $25 purchase, but I'm not sure how that will work.

Normally the British TV Sale 50% and/or 60% sale is happening
The last couple years at least part of the month was an extension of the 50% Arrow Sale
Last year there was a second phase to the Criterion 50% off sale for a week -- online only
The week prior to Christmas is normally the 40% off all/most Bluray sale -- the online selection is smaller than in-store (incl the ShipToHome program), but still substantial

This is the sign in-store

Back of Reward Card with numbers/barcode snipped

Front of the Reward Card

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-09-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-10-19, 07:51 AM

Thanks hariseldon for always being so informative and helpful!
Old 11-13-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New HappyCard (Happy Teen is the B&N version) deal via Kroger.com

$10 off $50 and available online.
Up to 3 - $150 for $120

https://giftcards.kroger.com/promotions

The cards are sold by GiftCardMall.com with Kroger sponsoring it appears.

This could be an excellent way to amplify the in-store GC deal

$120 for $150GC -- buy $150 B&N GiftCards in store and I think that should give you 3 $10 off 25 cards for December
so $180 buying power for $120 upfront -- 33% invisible discount stacks on top of any member discount/coupons/Sales

Just have to hope B&N runs at least some of their normal Dec Deal.

If you don't want to buy at B&N the Happy Teen card is also good at Regal Cinemas, Sephora, Dave & Buster's, Under Armor, Jamba and American Eagle though some of these will be in-store only.

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-13-19 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 07:47 AM

To my knowledge, it has now been essentially one full month since the appearance of any 15% or 20% coupon codes. This, at the start of the busiest retail shopping time of the year. Bye, bye, B&N! No membership renewal for you.
Old 11-14-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not shocking, but the online HappyCards deal via Kroger sold out of most varieties including the HappyTeen very quickly.
Hopefully they'll add more cards to the promotion at some point, but most of the individual cards are already listed dead
Old 11-14-19, 03:24 PM
Cool New Member

Is the Kroger deal available in its various grocery stores?
Old 11-14-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riderontherain
Is the Kroger deal available in its various grocery stores?
As far as I can tell is that's it's online only since it mentions eGiftcars though I can't find any language that confirms that 100%
I guess if someone has a Kroger nearby and want't to try it I;d love to know.

"Special offer

For every $50 worth of eGift Cards purchased, get $10 Off!
Offer valid from Nov 13, 2019 to Nov 26, 2019
  • Maximum discount allowed is subject to a maximum sum of $30 per customer"

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-14-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

OK. I went to a Kroger store and the deal is not available. So the only hope is that they would restock the cards online.

On another matter: in addition to the 50% criterion sale, B&N is also running a 50% sale on all Cohen releases right now. Cohen, just like Criterion, issues many arthouse and foreign films.

Technically the Cohen sale is online only. However, one can do a "ship to home" transaction in store to get them. Just make sure the online prices are applied by the sales rep (the 10% membership discount also applies).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.