Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Movie Gallery But 2 Get 2 (3/7)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy 2 Get 2

Concerning box sets, the only thing I've ever seen at 1 of the 2 MGs in my town was the first season of 24 & it wasn't all together. You had to buy each disc seperately. I do live in a smaller town though, they don't have a lot of tv shows to rent. They don't even carry any season of Alias.

I returned a video that didn't work for the same title. One day when I was browsing the dvds for sale I heard a couple come in & ask to get an exchange for their Solaris dvd. The cashier told them to go back & get another Solaris. The couple pretended to look & told her there wasn't another one & she said they could get something else. I saw 3 copies of Solaris for sale. I know that the movie sucked, but come on.

Some people mentioned that you have to grab up what you want to buy quickly at their stores. At the stores in my town they don't sell that many dvds. People around here rent a lot more than they buy. If you want a new release you have to get there on Tuesday, usually by 5PM. This is a huge contrast to the Hollywood Video here. Before we ever had a MG, I once went to rent a new movie at the HV at 5PM on a Tuesday & the shelves were bare. When I asked about the title they told me to come back in a half hour. I left & went across the parking lot to rent it at Giant Eagle instead. We don't have a Blockbuster around here, so Movie Gallery was our HV's first real competition.

I called one of the MGs here yesterday (PA) & a young girl told me that she didn't know when the next sale would start, but that she thought it would be soon. This girl could barely get out a greeting when she answered the phone so I think she was new or something.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I've never participated in this sale before. We have a couple movie galleries so I guess I'll shop around. In either case, I assume this is for used DVD's. Are their used movies reasonably in shape? Do they replace your movie if you bring it home, watch it, and it has issues?

Does this include all used movies? Do they sell used boxed sets. I'll have to stop by a movie gallery this afternoon and check out the selection.
Old 03-08-05, 04:07 PM

Can someone post the recent $9.99 used DVD markdowns of "new" releases. I know someone posted "Alien Vs. Predator" already. Are there any others?
Old 03-08-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Troy and the Grudge were 9.99 titles
Old 03-08-05, 09:07 PM

I work at Movie Gallery and the latest 9.99 titles since the last sale include

Troy
The Forgotten
AVP
The Grudge
The Notebook
Shark Tale (last 2 just came out on Monday)

Saw is 9.99 next Monday and Spongebob is like the last week in march.

and so far the only other 9.99 title that's been announced for next month is Fat Albert (our store is getting 110 copies of that) but that'll be after the sale's done.

9.99 titles are usually ones that the company announces in advance. otherwise titles start off at 14.99 and then get marked down as time goes by
Old 03-08-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
beatccr.. Very helpful. Thank you kindly.

Think I'll have to try and pickup The Notebook for my mother as she mentioned she wanted that one.

I remember seeing Maria Full of Grace last time for $14.99 and would get that one if it has dropped to $9.99 yet.
Old 03-09-05, 07:53 AM

Sorry everyone, the manager gave me the wrong date.
Old 03-09-05, 08:24 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

$9.99 seems to be a limited time promotion for recently released PVDs, so don't be surprised if some of those listed have gone up to $14.99.
Old 03-09-05, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by MrE
$9.99 seems to be a limited time promotion for recently released PVDs, so don't be surprised if some of those listed have gone up to $14.99.

Nope they are permanent, Movie Gallery is NOT Blockbuster Video.
Old 03-09-05, 11:15 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not so, I've definitely seen price increases on some titles to $14.99.
Old 03-09-05, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrE
If it was done then it was an error. Normally the price will stay at the $9.99 price point. Don't ask me how I know but I do know.
Old 03-09-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BUSTaCAP
Sorry everyone, the manager gave me the wrong date.
Thanks to the OP, but perhaps you should change the title to reflect the correct date.
Old 03-10-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
I stopped by MG today and was told the sale starts 3-11, so a Monday start may be YMMV
Originally Posted by DVD-Obsession
The sale is from 3/11 - 3/27....
Originally Posted by stickz2
Well I just got back from the local store and confirmed they are also starting the sale on 03/11 (Friday).
Originally Posted by hurricane
The manager at my store said it doesn't start until 3/11/05.
Originally Posted by brooke789
I picked up a Movie Gallery VideoBuzz magazine from my local store this evening and it listed the dates of the sale as 3/11-3/27.
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I heard 3/11 start date as well from my store.
Originally Posted by kornboy
just called the one closest to me, and they said the 2 for 2 sale starts this friday.. 3/11
Hey guys I just checked and I think it starts on 3/11 and not 3/7. Wasn't sure if anybody had corrected that or not.

-JP
Old 03-10-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I stopped by my nearest MG today to see if there was anything worth going back for, and I didn't see much. They had a few copies of The Notebook (not interested), Open Water (also not interested) and some other miscellaneous titles that weren't really appealing. I think I may hit up another store that's a little farther away tomorrow when they open, and I'll probably have to struggle to find 4 decent titles, if they have a better selection at all.
Old 03-10-05, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

Damn.....the closet MG to LA is the one in Vegas!
Old 03-10-05, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I stopped by my nearest MG today to see if there was anything worth going back for, and I didn't see much.

Our Movie Gallery in has a decent selection. It's a brand new store. I plan on getting the following tommorow.......(Prices are Canadian and they are the regular sale price PV before 2 for 2 deal)

- Hellboy (2-disc) ($12.99)
- The Butterfly Effect ($12.99)
- Alien Vs. Predator ($12.99)
- Spider-man 2 (2-disc) ($19.99)

The cost total with taxes should be $38.59 , which is $9.65 Canadian per dvd. Not bad.

If any of the above are not in good condition, I may pickup Beyond Re-Animator ($9.99), The Village ($19.99) or Garage days ($12.99).

Some of Other titles available at our store.........

- Troy
- The Grudge
- The Forgotten
- Saw (due March 14th as PV)
- Garfield
- King Arthur
- A Mighty Wind
- Terminator 3
- Freddy Vs. Jason
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Dawn of The Dead (unrated)
- Cat Woman
etc.............................

They've been pretty sticky on thier price for Spider-Man 2. I've seen most stores selling it for $14.99 or less all the time, but they've kept it at $19.99 and I don't think they sold 1 copy. I guess starting tommorow they'll probably start flying off the shelves, because even if you buy 2 $19.99 dvd's and get 2 free the total cost would be $11.70 each Canadian including taxes.

(Note: I asked our local manager if any new titles will be on the shelf Friday and he said new PV dvd's only go up on Monday)

Last edited by stickz2; 03-10-05 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrE
I noticed this myself during the last sale. Stuff what was 9.99 or should be even lower than that were marked at 14.99. This was at all the MGs I went to around the Lockport, IL area.
Old 03-10-05, 07:35 PM

And Saw will be $9.99 on the 14th
Old 03-11-05, 01:08 AM

Just a heads up but I've heard that this will be the last Buy 2, Get 2 for some Movie Gallery stores as they are rolling out a new program next month in selected stores where PVD will be 3 for $25 and these stores won't participate in any of the buy ? get ? free specials. Don't ask how I know, but I highly suggest asking the manager of your local store as they should know by now whether this change effects them so you may wanna stock up while you can
Old 03-11-05, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by thechozenone
Just a heads up but I've heard that this will be the last Buy 2, Get 2 for some Movie Gallery stores as they are rolling out a new program next month in selected stores where PVD will be 3 for $25 and these stores won't participate in any of the buy ? get ? free specials. Don't ask how I know, but I highly suggest asking the manager of your local store as they should know by now whether this change effects them so you may wanna stock up while you can
Mine are not aware the new program you mentioned but then again they are never aware when the 'Buy 2 Get 2 Free" sales start until the week before.
Old 03-11-05, 08:43 AM

Crap! Waited all week for this special and unfortunately out of the 4 dvd's I wanted 2 (all copies) were in poor condition. I decided not to bother getting anything. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 03-11-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to another MG near me, and they had a lot better selection. I picked up:

Man on Fire
Manchurian Candidate
Pauly Shore Is Dead
Sky Captain of Tomorrow

All for $30 + tax.
Old 03-11-05, 10:24 AM

just in case anyone didn't know...

movie gallery has a points program (Reel Players) where if you are a member you get points every time you rent (1pt) or buy a movie (2 pts) and when you get 12 points you get a coupon for a free rental or $3 off the purchase of a preplayed movie.

so just giving a headsup if people buy a lot and are not members, maybe they should join just so they can get the points and coupons. and membership is free.
Old 03-11-05, 02:35 PM

Picked up the following today for $20 total:

I, Robot
The Notebook
The Forgotten
The Grudge
Old 03-11-05, 03:09 PM

Grabbed:

Shark Tale
Collateral
The Notebook
Passion of the Christ

$20 total
Old 03-11-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up:
The Forgotten
Collateral
Along Came Polly
and THe Notebook, but I gotta exchange it cause its cracked.
Great Deals

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.