Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Old 03-15-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Eric F
Uh oh. I wish I hadn't seen this thread. There's one in Woonsockett, about 20mins away from my new house.
From the website it reminds me of Ocean State Job Lot, or Building 19 (when they were still around).

I guess I have a reason to go to Woonsockett tomorrow (there's a first time for everything),
You are going to want to open up an Ollie's Rewards card. Buy something small the first time, because you get a coupon for 15% off everything after opening the card. Then go back and splurge with it.
Old 03-16-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You are going to want to open up an Ollie's Rewards card. Buy something small the first time, because you get a coupon for 15% off everything after opening the card. Then go back and splurge with it.
That's very good advice. Wish I had known it before making my huge first purchase.
Old 03-17-19, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I went there today and there was an Ocean State Job Lot right across the street.
Old 03-19-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Stopped by a local Ollie's last night to find a big table with a second shelf full of stuff. The problem is there was a boatload of piles all over the place across both shelves meaning you can't really look through everything unless you went to spend hours there.
I ended up picking up the Original Sin OHC for 14.99 and the Galactus the Devourer TPB for 5.99 and might go back for more later.

I know I occasionally get a mailer coupon, seems to be around certain holidays. Does anyone know when exactly they send them, and more specifically when the next one would be sent?
Old 03-19-19, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Stopped by a local Ollie's last night to find a big table with a second shelf full of stuff. The problem is there was a boatload of piles all over the place across both shelves meaning you can't really look through everything unless you went to spend hours there.
I ended up picking up the Original Sin OHC for 14.99 and the Galactus the Devourer TPB for 5.99 and might go back for more later.

I know I occasionally get a mailer coupon, seems to be around certain holidays. Does anyone know when exactly they send them, and more specifically when the next one would be sent?
They'll probably send one for Easter and another one for Mother's day. Usually they tie in coupons with holidays or military appreciation days.
Old 03-20-19, 11:48 AM
Banned

You can actually get your 15% off coupon your first visit. Just buy something small, sign up for their club and register on your phone. They email the coupon immediately. Then go nuts.

​​​​​
Old 04-04-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to an Ollie's I had never been to (about an hour away from me) & was able to snag quite a few deals. Will provide list later but for now here are pics:

Old 04-04-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish the two Ollie's near me had that layout for their trades. Both just stuff them into a 10' high shelf and the books are a bear to look through. That location seemingly put out their most recent comic palette all at once. Some stores won't have that much space and leave half the palette in a back stock room.

That Superman Unchained Deluxe must not have sold very well. I almost feel like a sucker for buying it upon release.
Old 04-04-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, bought Superman Unchained Deluxe at release date too (albeit at 50% off through DCBS). Wish I had waited. I'm guessing that it sold well but DC must just have overprinted.

Wouldn't the 10' high book shelf be easier to look through if it has the spines sticking out?
Old 04-04-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

I don’t really see anything in those blurry photos I would pick up except for that Garth Ennis Demon TPB (even then, only if they had the first one, too) and maybe a Camelot 3000 HC.
Old 04-05-19, 06:45 AM

I went back to my localest Ollie's the other day because I got a 10% coupon in the mail (I guess it was from my rewards, I'm not really sure how the rewards work, I just always make sure to scan my card when I'm there). The layout was similar to sinned's pics except it was only 2 shelves not 3. It's a nightmare to look through because the TPBs are just scattered all around in piles that usually contain more than one book. I probably looked around for half an hour and I'm sure I still didn't see every book.
I do have another local Ollie's that I should stop and see if they have anything different.
Old 04-05-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

Man, I wish I had one of those stores here. Right off the top I'd be interested in the Vigilante book, and probably several others.

We've got great weather, but lousy stores for stuff like that.
Old 04-05-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sinned
Yeah, bought Superman Unchained Deluxe at release date too (albeit at 50% off through DCBS). Wish I had waited. I'm guessing that it sold well but DC must just have overprinted.

Wouldn't the 10' high book shelf be easier to look through if it has the spines sticking out?
You would think that is how they would lay them out, but both stores have covers facing the customer. It's a mess once a few people look through them and ends up in chaos after a couple of weeks.

Old 04-05-19, 05:02 PM
Banned

At my local one I had no patience to go through the shelves. From that photo it looks like others stores have a better selection. If they had that Demon TPB I would have bought it. I did see Trinity in hardcover though- tempting for $6, but I abstained. I have a few deluxe hardcovers I kept after my move last year but I sold the rest of my collection off. Books are nice but I have no real place to keep them.
Old 04-05-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

A new store nearby is having their grand opening this coming Wednesday. Hopefully, I will be able to check it out next weekend after trading my books with a local media store.
Old 04-07-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't deal with Ollie's "organizational" methods. It's impossible to look through everything, and 1/3 of the inventory is way out of reach of anyone but Shaq.
Old 04-08-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ollie's definitely knows their comic trades have been a hit. They constantly advertise them in the weekly flyer as a legendary deal.
Old 04-14-19, 06:16 PM
Banned

Went to an Ollie's that is about 45 minutes away from my house and located in a rundown strip mall where a Piggly Wiggly used to be. Not a big selection of books in this one, but found 4 that I haven't seen anywhere else

This for $3.99. For some reason it was located in the Children's section

This for $3.99

This for $4.99

And this for $9.99. Located in the books about music section

The last 3 are all hardcovers.
Old 04-15-19, 07:14 AM

I'd love to find that Creepshow! I guess I'll have to look through the other books.
Old 04-15-19, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joltman
I'd love to find that Creepshow! I guess I'll have to look through the other books.
It's a gorgeous book with amazing art by Bernie Wrightson
Old 04-15-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From my travels, those hardcovers are usually not included with the other comic trades. I've seen them land in the regular book section.
Old 04-19-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to another Ollie's in another state (had to make a detour there as it was only 15 minutes away from my place of business) and was able to get the following. Lucked out on Superman: Doomed (a very thick TPB) as it was the only copy left and it was in great shape. Night of the Monster Men was the last copy too. Batman Europa was a title I had not seen in other Ollie's.

Old 04-19-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Check out two different Ollie's.

​​​​​​MAD's "Original Idiots" Wally Wood: $2.99
​​​Showcase Presents The War That Time Forgot (Army vs Dinosaurs): $2.99

Also found some Dockers Khakis for $12.99.
Old 04-21-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember paying $20 for that Legionnaires trade. The backstory here is that DC's trades program going forward will only be focused on proven properties and big sellers in print. Everything else is only digital.
Old 04-24-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I remember paying $20 for that Legionnaires trade. The backstory here is that DC's trades program going forward will only be focused on proven properties and big sellers in print. Everything else is only digital.
Can’t say I blame them. You can’t really release eberything you publish in TPBs; you’re basically flooding the book market and creating a warehouse nightmare. It’s probably to only release TPBs and HCs of material that is by a-list creators, evergreen, or has mainstream appeal. Anything else is just going to be clutter.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-27-19 at 12:31 AM. Reason: frickin’ iPad virtual keyboard

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.