DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Old 05-29-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts
Re: DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Heroes in Crisis finished today and all I can say is that the whole series was fucking horrible and everyone involved should be ashamed.
The art is nice. Everything else about it was terrible.

I think DC has already decided it's getting retconned and it wouldn't surprise me to see it classified as an Elseworlds in the future.
Old 05-29-19, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The art is nice. Everything else about it was terrible.

I think DC has already decided it's getting retconned and it wouldn't surprise me to see it classified as an Elseworlds in the future.
It will simply be ignored, kinda like Identity Crisis and Zero Hour are today
Old 05-29-19, 07:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I started loving comics even more when I developed the mindset that everything is an elsewords story.
Old 06-13-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I really don't want to start collecting monthly comics again, but they're finally bringing back the Legion (and the JSA):

https://www.newsarama.com/45584-legi...w-ongoing.html
Old 06-13-19, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I really don't want to start collecting monthly comics again, but they're finally bringing back the Legion (and the JSA):

https://www.newsarama.com/45584-legi...w-ongoing.html
I wish it had been someone else than Bendis bringing back the Legion. I'll still check it out of course.

Old 06-14-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I wish it had been someone else than Bendis bringing back the Legion. I'll still check it out of course.
I enjoyed a lot of Bendis' Marvel work but I read his Man of Steel mini-series and hated it. Here's hoping the Legion turns out better. My biggest concern is that I haven't read the Legion since the 90s and may not recognize it with all that's gone on since.
Old 06-14-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's definitely a monkey paw wish but for now, I'll take it.
Old 07-03-19, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I just purchased the first 2 Justice League of America Omnibus collections, covering the Silver Age.

Can't wait to get the 2 Bronze Age volumes as well.

I'm so disappointed to hear that Bronze Age Volume 3 has been cancelled by DC!

That sucks, sucks, sucks!
Old 07-04-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by greensmoke
So, I just purchased the first 2 Justice League of America Omnibus collections, covering the Silver Age.

Can't wait to get the 2 Bronze Age volumes as well.

I'm so disappointed to hear that Bronze Age Volume 3 has been cancelled by DC!

That sucks, sucks, sucks!
I was surprised that one got canceled. DC overloaded the market with questionable omnibuses and declining value propositions. The problem is that it's the same small base of hardcore buyers getting all of them, of which I am one. But I had to start cutting back when DC started releasing too many in a short timespan.

Supposedly it may get out broken up into smaller trades. The wave of cancellations were largely due to a huge drop in trades sales in the bookstore market during 2018. Apparently sales at Barnes & Noble dropped a ton.

Old 07-04-19, 08:08 PM
Banned

I was surprised that one got canceled. DC overloaded the market with questionable omnibuses and declining value propositions. The problem is that it's the same small base of hardcore buyers getting all of them, of which I am one. But I had to start cutting back when DC started releasing too many in a short timespan.

Supposedly it may get out broken up into smaller trades. The wave of cancellations were largely due to a huge drop in trades sales in the bookstore market during 2018. Apparently sales at Barnes & Noble dropped a ton.
Sales at Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million and LCS have dropped in the TPB business. The big issue is that none of these stores are competing with Amazon when they get released as Amazon list them at 30-40% off from the get go and customers have become savvy of both Marvel and DC dumping these books at Ollies so they have stopped buying them on release date.
Old 07-05-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, dumping all those books at once at Ollies definitely made trade shoppers think twice about buying new trades. I just never expected to see trades hit that pricing en masse.
Old 07-08-19, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding, PhantomStranger.

I hope DC does release a Justice League of America continuation in some archival manner at some time. I guess that's all we can do - hope.
Old 07-08-19, 07:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

They just solicited a hardcover collection that picks up where the 5th omnibus would have started. But it was like $50 for 10 issues, so I’ll stick with my singles and/or digital to complete my JLA run I guess. Sigh. These JL omniboo have been great, wish they’d stuck it out.
Old 05-26-20, 01:08 PM
Banned

One character that keeps getting screwed over and over for the past 10 years has been Ted Kord, the second Blue Beetle. He died pre-New 52, killed by Maxwell Lord. Then he reappeared in 2014 during the New 52 as a teen in college, around the Forever Evil storyline, but it was just a cameo. Then, at the end of the New 52 run, an adult Ted shows up in Grant Morrison's Pax Americana. Rebirth happened and Ted Kord shows up in the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series. After that, he is helping Booster Gold run from the Justice League because Booster apparently had killed a lot of heroes. Months later, he had a brief but memorable appearance in Doomsday Clock, fighting Dr. Manhattan. From then on, he's been MIA until today. Suicide Squad #5, released today, has Ted Kord
Spoiler:
be the person behind the Suicide Squad. By this I mean that he has taken the position of Amanda Waller and is controlling the missions of the Squad and controlling the people responsible to trigger the implanted bombs in case someone from the Squad goes rogue. In this case, he was okay with a speedster named Jog to have his head explode by one of the implanted bombs, thus killing him. So now, Ted Kord is a bad guy. Why?

Old 05-26-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One character that keeps getting screwed over and over for the past 10 years has been Ted Kord, the second Blue Beetle. He died pre-New 52, killed by Maxwell Lord. Then he reappeared in 2014 during the New 52 as a teen in college, around the Forever Evil storyline, but it was just a cameo. Then, at the end of the New 52 run, an adult Ted shows up in Grant Morrison's Pax Americana. Rebirth happened and Ted Kord shows up in the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle series. After that, he is helping Booster Gold run from the Justice League because Booster apparently had killed a lot of heroes. Months later, he had a brief but memorable appearance in Doomsday Clock, fighting Dr. Manhattan. From then on, he's been MIA until today. Suicide Squad #5, released today, has Ted Kord
Spoiler:
be the person behind the Suicide Squad. By this I mean that he has taken the position of Amanda Waller and is controlling the missions of the Squad and controlling the people responsible to trigger the implanted bombs in case someone from the Squad goes rogue. In this case, he was okay with a speedster named Jog to have his head explode by one of the implanted bombs, thus killing him. So now, Ted Kord is a bad guy. Why?

Like I mentioned in the other thread, all of the Super Buddies were screwed over as soon as DC went all grim and dark and "the Justice League brainwashed villains."

Other candidates for most screwed over by constant reboots:

Wally West. What they did to him is criminal (I have no idea if they reverted it)
The entirety of the Teen Titans. Because they are by definition legacy heroes, so removing legacy screws them over
The JSA. They were stuck in literal limbo for a long time, and again, legacy heroes. Somehow they thought it was a great idea to make them a new generation of heroes in New 52 Earth 2.
The Legion of Superheroes. The future always gets messed up when you mess with Superman and such. They were almost untouched by the New 52 as far as premise goes, but split into two books and both got canned. And now I hear Bendis isn't doing them any favors.
Old 07-07-20, 08:11 PM
Banned

It seems that the story that was supposed to be part of the FCBD DC book featuring Wally West has been released as part of the TPB of Flash Forward. I guess the story ties-in now more with Dark Knights: Metal that moving forward with the 5G concept. Spoilers ahead
Spoiler:

DC Comics' Missing FCBD Story Appears in Flash Forward TPB (Spoilers)

Posted on July 7, 2020 | by Rich Johnston | Comments
The big DC Comics Free Comic Book Day title was meant to be Generation Zero, an epilogue to Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth's Flash Forward, and would lead into the Generation volumes that would end with Generation Five – otherwise known as 5G. It would also show off the new DC Timeline.

A version of the story appeared in Flash #750, but it was then meant to be followed by an expanded version for the Free Comic Book Day title, tieing in with Death Metal and setting up 5G to come.

Then DC publisher Dan DiDio was fired and everything changed. 5G was no longer a line-wide transformative future for the DC Universe, but now restricted to a planned imprint/mini-event. The DC Timeline lost being fixed to certain periods in history and the length certain characters had been around amended to something closer to the usual version. And suddenly the Generation One story was not quite the done thing. I understand it was rewritten, to remove aspects about Wally West changing the timeline to changing the reality of the multiverse instead.

But after it was printed in time for Free Comic Book Day, things changed even more. The pandemic hit and DC Comics looked at its schedule and plans more closely. A number of books disappeared and a number were delayed. And one of those disappeared comics, the Generation line of books – and the Free Comic Book Day Generation Zero book that would lead up to it.

However, the Flash Forward epilogue story has been scheduled to be collated in the Flash Forward collection published today. And no one considered that to be an issue – especially as it wasn't actually listed in the solicitations or any of the listings. And so we get to see a little more of what was planned and how it would tie into Dark Metal – but only if you pick up the trade paperback, published today. Or get the jist from some of the Bleeding Cool snippets below. As Wally West with the power of Dr Manhattan, riding the Mobius chair with Tempus Fuginaut at his side…

We have DC Continuity as a mess. Elements there from the past and the future, 1930s Superman, the death of Supergirl, the death of Maxwell Lord, the New 52 Justice League, one punch Guy Gardner, Crisis upon Crisis, where's Jess Nevins when you need him. And so we have Wally West picking and choosing to recreate reality.

Amongst other things, including the Justice League International era, now restored along with the Teen Titans and the Death Of Superman.

A Justice League more like the original version and one that includes Martian Manhunter, origin appearances for Batman and Superman, a Justice Society Of America being taken to court, the death of Bruce's parents, the JSA in action with Wonder Woman and the destruction of Krypton. This fits the DC Timeline that Bleeding Cool first reported last year – but all that may be up in the air too. And who is to blame for that?

DC Comics' Missing FCBD Story Appears in Flash Forward TPB.
We have seen Wally West in Death Metal. This story, unseen unless you bought the Flash Forward TPB, shows you how DC Comics planned to get him there. And still has wisps of the original 5G and Timeline plan that can be seen around the edges. The other question to ask is… how do you make 300,000 copies of a Free Comic Book day comic disappear without any of them leaking to eBay or any of the comics speculator groups? That's one hell of a pulping operation…

FLASH FORWARD TPB
By Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth
When the border between the Multiverse and the Dark Multiverse starts to buckle, Wally West must answer the call and journey to these worlds and purge them of this darkness, but the greater darkness is that from within. His name is Wally West–and he was the Fastest Man Alive. That is, until the Multiverse was rewritten without him or his family in it. Wally returned and tried to make it work, but the damage was done. Spinning out of the events of Heroes in Crisis, follow the man who called himself Flash on an adventure to find redemption in a cosmos that has fought so hard to destroy him. Collects Flash Forward #1-6.

Old 07-07-20, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So Wally West plays Editor in Chief and picks and chooses continuity? Didn't we just have a Flash do this and muck up the universe only for them to unmuck it?
Old 07-09-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Based on a Bleeding Cool article today, 5G may be retrofitted to a DC imprint showing a possible "future" of the DCU.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...athan-kent-5g/
Old 10-15-20, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Based on a Bleeding Cool article today, 5G may be retrofitted to a DC imprint showing a possible "future" of the DCU.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goss...athan-kent-5g/
And this is what we are getting

Old 10-15-20, 09:17 AM
Banned

Old 10-15-20, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

All I see in the pic is multiple clones of the big three. I wonder what next year's major reboot and staff upheaval will look like?
Old 10-15-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
All I see in the pic is multiple clones of the big three. I wonder what next year's major reboot and staff upheaval will look like?
That sounds exactly what a corporate mandate from on high would be: give me more Superman/Batman/WW books!

Not saying that's what it is, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I mean we just got like 8 or so evil versions of Batman crossed with various superheroes, and now that's basically the majority of what Todd is producing in his toy line.
Old 10-15-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

will skip, just like Metal.
Old 10-15-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, is that a... bat symbol on WW's belt buckle?
Old 10-16-20, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

My DC purchases may drop drastically those two months.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.