DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Old 10-16-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, is that a... bat symbol on WW's belt buckle?
Looks like it. Possibly wearing a Green Lantern ring as a necklace, too.
Old 10-16-20, 09:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Looks like it. Possibly wearing a Green Lantern ring as a necklace, too.
Could be kryptonite.
Old 10-16-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 240 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That sounds exactly what a corporate mandate from on high would be: give me more Superman/Batman/WW books!
I wish part of the corporate mandate was to send a dumptruck full of cash and a dozen goth hookers to Neil Gaiman's house, so he'll write some new Sandman comics.

We need Endless Nights II, and miniseries for Destiny, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delirium, and Death III, not Wonder Woman with a Bat on her belt buckle.
Old 10-16-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 330 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I wish part of the corporate mandate was to send a dumptruck full of cash and a dozen goth hookers to Neil Gaiman's house, so he'll write some new Sandman comics.

We need Endless Nights II, and miniseries for Destiny, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delirium, and Death III, not Wonder Woman with a Bat on her belt buckle.
That does sound like a corporate mandate, though I'd much rather they backup that truck full of money to Gaiman, have him work on maybe one Sandman anthology book, and otherwise be free to create something newish. You can only go to the well so many times.
Old 10-16-20, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

I think this looks potentially awesome. A (probably) black Batman fighting a draconian Magistrate! An Amazon tribeswoman Wonder Woman bringing hope back to the world! I think ignoring the older heroes in this story as much as possible would be the best way to go. Give me some superhero stories that tackle social/humanitarian issues again! DC superheroes need to reflect our world a little more (a better version of it) as the mythic ideals/archetypes of our times and need to stop with Crisis on Infinite Batmans that everything has devolved into, both the monthlies and events.
Old 10-16-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns View Post
All I see in the pic is multiple clones of the big three. I wonder what next year's major reboot and staff upheaval will look like?
This is the crutch that DC has. I mentioned it before but I give Marvel huge credit for going out and using other characters besides Spider-Man, Wolverine and Deadpool in their books, marketing, movies, merchandise, etc. Just look at the Marvel Legends action figures and Marvel has gone above and beyond in using every character in their roster. Now, compare that to what DC has been doing since 2010. Every figure, doesn't matter if it was Mattel, or now McFarlane, is either Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. They'll do a random character like John Stewart, or Nightwing, or Harley but it goes back to different versions of the big 3. People want and like other characters. Give us Swamp Thing, Spectre, The Phantom Stranger, Zatanna, The Demon, Sandman, JSA. Since their Classic figures that were mostly released through Matty Collector, DC has refused to give us figures outside Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Arrow. People want the Martian Manhunter, Dr. Fate, Hawkman, Hawkgirl. Same thing with the books. That mentality needs to change for DC to evolve and catch up to Marvel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
ddrknghtrtns (10-17-20), IBJoel (10-17-20)
Old 10-17-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's ridiculous that DC has a hit with Stargirl and Titans and there are 0 figures of the characters out there right now.
Old 10-19-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 330 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It's ridiculous that DC has a hit with Stargirl and Titans and there are 0 figures of the characters out there right now.
I guess you need to define hit? I mean I like Titans ok but I don't think it's gotten any significant buzz (that may change with the move to Max) and even Stargirl doesn't seem to be hitting it out of the park ratings wise? If anything, they should have done something with Doom Patrol or the Harley cartoon.
Old 10-19-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Are any of the Walmart Giants particularly valuable beyond the Detective Comics issue?
Old 10-19-20, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Are any of the Walmart Giants particularly valuable beyond the Detective Comics issue?
Batman Giant #4 (from the first Wal-Mart exclusive run) sells for $25-$50. Some of the early 2018 issues sell for $10-$20. The WM exclusive ones will most likely jump in price in the future as they were hard to find in NM condition.