Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: DC Comics to relaunch everything with #1s in June 2016

I didn't even know someone was supposed to die and I figured that character was a goner anyway.
Old 04-16-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

And there is much rejoicing.
Old 04-17-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that kewl armor didn't help much.
Old 04-18-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

This is so stupid. Killing off him off, and watch, they're going to bring him back in another Crisis event down the line. They gotta make things overly complicated.
Why don't they just quietly do away with the amor, or whatever else marks him as the "New 52" and just have an issue #whatever, that has a back up of the new, revised origin? Or just end it without killing him. Give Superman comics a break for 6 months-1 year, and roll out a new Superman title?
Old 04-18-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

No different from killing Earth 2 supes in Infinite Crisis. As long as the story is good, doesnt bother me.
Old 04-18-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
This is so stupid. Killing off him off, and watch, they're going to bring him back in another Crisis event down the line. They gotta make things overly complicated.
Why don't they just quietly do away with the amor, or whatever else marks him as the "New 52" and just have an issue #whatever, that has a back up of the new, revised origin? Or just end it without killing him. Give Superman comics a break for 6 months-1 year, and roll out a new Superman title?
I don't think he's coming back anytime soon. The Post-Crisis Superman we knew for decades is coming back in his own book.

Here is some of the promotional art and covers for Rebirth.

http://www.newsarama.com/28577-the-n...t-gallery.html
Old 04-19-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
No different from killing Earth 2 supes in Infinite Crisis. As long as the story is good, doesnt bother me.
I suppose that's what counts, that the story is good. But the idea of killing off the superhero, especially Superman (or Batman, or Green Lantern, or Flash...) has become old hat. It's done so often, especially to this character, that it loses significance, and more so, considering there's multiple variations of this character that exist in the DCU (Earth 1,2,3, A, B, C, and son on).

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think he's coming back anytime soon. The Post-Crisis Superman we knew for decades is coming back in his own book.

Here is some of the promotional art and covers for Rebirth.

http://www.newsarama.com/28577-the-n...t-gallery.html
Nice art. But I'm sure he'll come back at some point. I think the Kingdom Come Superman made an appearance in Earth 1/New Earth and he was on the JSA, while Earth 1/New Earth Superman was on the JLA. Then there was Black Lantern Superman who was Earth 2/Pre-Crisis Superman, and Superman-Prime, who was the real world Superman who got caught up in the comic book world.
Old 05-20-16, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Well, someone on Reddit already has the DC Universe Rebirth #1 and Bleeding Cool, being the way they are, ran with the spoiler story. For all of those who want to know

Spoiler:

Dr. Manhattan, from Watchmen, is the hand all the characters are trying to reach in the cover. It seems that he was the creator of the New 52. Apparently this all ties into the Before Watchmen mini-series he had.

Also, Wally West, the original caucasian one, returns in the book

Old 05-20-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

Spoiler:

Dr. Manhattan, from Watchmen, is the hand all the characters are trying to reach in the cover. It seems that he was the creator of the New 52. Apparently this all ties into the Before Watchmen mini-series he had.
FUCK YOU.

Not you, Red Hood. Anyone who reads the spoiler will know exactly what I mean.
Old 05-21-16, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup, they went there and I think its amazing. It's a bold move, even if it will piss off a segment of fans.
Old 05-21-16, 01:35 PM
Banned

My opinion of the whole thing:

Spoiler:

I hate the fact that this got spoiled. I know for a fact that the people at DC have been working extremely hard to revitalize their image after WB has made them shit on their own characters for the past 5 years. For those that don't know, Warner Bros are more responsible for the whole New 52 than the people who actually run DC Comics. The bean counters over there have been the ones pushing for all these changes that mostly didn't work. These have been the same people who gave Zack Snyder full control of the DC Cinematic Universe and now are regretting it. Like I said, DC has worked really hard in making Rebirth #1 and these idiots are spoiling it for everyone.

I haven't read the full story cause my store has not received the book yet, but from what I saw, I somewhat like the surprise. For years, DC has talked about the Multiverse. Well Watchmen should be and is part of that Multiverse. Same as the DC Animated Universe, same as WildStorm and Vertigo were. Dr. Manhattan is a character with a lot of potential, one that should be explored whether Alan Moore likes it or not. By the way, Alan Moore is not the single creator of that series. Dave Gibbons is too and he has been more than willing to play ball with DC Comics and the comic book industry than Moore is.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for what Alan Moore has done for the business. I love most of his work. Still, I'm not a fan of what he has said in the past 10-15 years. He's basically become a curmudgeon. He keeps saying the the industry hasn't had any good books in the past 25 years yet contradicts himself when he says that he loved The Sandman (published for the most part during the past 25 years). I understand that Moore doesn't like the politics and rules of the Big 2, but those are the companies that made him become famous. His Swamp Thing run, plus Watchmen and other stories, is what made Moore be the superstar that he's today.

Last, but not least, Fuck the guy on DC Comics who sent these books to reviewers one week before shipping. Fuck the guy on Reddit and most of all, Fuck Rich Johnston and Bleeding Cool. These type of spoilers hurt the industry. People who were on the fence on buying a $2.99 will now maybe not purchase this book because of the spoilers. Even thought the industry has gone up in the past several years, things like this still hurt the business overall, and most of all, the comic book retailers. It doesn't affect Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Books-A-Million or any other big retailer, it affects the small comic book business/retailers. Johnston and Bleeding Cool are the type of people that I simply wish they leave the whole business. Their only purpose is being trolls, much like the old school comic book guys have become.

Old 05-21-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who exactly will get upset? Rebirth sounds like a great return to form for DC. The people that will get upset don't read comics in the first place. I'll probably buy the Rebirth Omnibus.

As for spoilers, that horse is out of the barn and has been for a long time. It's basically impossible to remain spoiler-free for anything like comics unless you completely avoid the Internet. You have to plan for that in advance. The reveal definitely has me intrigued.
Old 05-21-16, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Who exactly will get upset? Rebirth sounds like a great return to form for DC. The people that will get upset don't read comics in the first place. I'll probably buy the Rebirth Omnibus.

As for spoilers, that horse is out of the barn and has been for a long time. It's basically impossible to remain spoiler-free for anything like comics unless you completely avoid the Internet. You have to plan for that in advance. The reveal definitely has me intrigued.
The people who will get upset are the older, pre-Crisis comic book readers/crowd that are never happy with anything that any of the big 2 do. Also, Alan Moore purists. I really don't care either of them.

The spoilers could have been prevented in DC marketing was more efficient in what they do. This is a corporate problem. Disney was able to keep everything spoiler free for Star Wars until release date. DC/WB should had been able to do the same with such a big event.
Old 05-21-16, 10:30 PM
Banned

Another thing dawn on me on why I'm not completely sold on the what happens in Rebirth #1

Spoiler:

One of the purposes of Rebirth, much like the New 52, is to bring new readers including kids. How the hell are kids going to understand who Dr. Manhattan is? Because to understand and find out who he is, they have to go ahead and read or watch Watchmen, a book suitable for people 13+.

Old 05-22-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My opinion of the whole thing:

Spoiler:

Well Watchmen should be and is part of that Multiverse. Same as the DC Animated Universe, same as WildStorm and Vertigo were. Dr. Manhattan is a character with a lot of potential, one that should be explored whether Alan Moore likes it or not.
Spoiler:
Incorporating Watchmen into the DCU multiverse comes across as both lazy and desperate. This gets people talking, but it's mostly just among the aging comic fan demographic. Kids or potential new readers are not going to care who Dr. Manhattan is, or that he was behind the New52.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-22-16 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes it's ok for properties/mini series to remain self contained and not part of the all encompassing multiverse. I think Wildstorm properties were much better off when they were separate. And even though they use the same characters, I thought elseworlds like Kingdom Come and the Golden Age were much better just being stories with an actual ending (seriously, did anything good come out of extending Kingdom Come?)

On the Marvel side, I thought Age of Apocalypse worked much better before they revisited the world over and over again.

By the way, whatever did they do with Pandora and the other stuff they were setting up at the beginning of the New 52? Or is that part of this too?
Old 05-23-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought elseworlds like Kingdom Come and the Golden Age were much better just being stories with an actual ending (seriously, did anything good come out of extending Kingdom Come?)
The Golden Age, written by James Robinson? Robinson incorporated elements of that Elseworlds story into Starman, which I heard was very good. Geoff Johns also used some of those elements for JSA.

I didn't like it when Geoff Johns brought KC into the JSA. On one hand, it was playing off of the Earth-1/Earth-2 tradition, but on the other, it seemed like Johns was relying on a very successful and popular story line, to give his own writing significance.

DC even gave Magog his own series, which seemed contrary to the intended purpose of the character.

By the way, whatever did they do with Pandora and the other stuff they were setting up at the beginning of the New 52? Or is that part of this too?
I thought Pandora was a back-up, in case the New52 interpretation of the DC wasn't received well. If it tanked, the in-story explanation could be that Pandora messed up the timeline/universe, and the heroes need to fix it.

And about Rebirth:
Spoiler:
Alan Moore did an interview , saying how DC ran out of ideas and they were relying on his old stuff to keep them afloat, by citing Before Watchmen and The Blackest Night event, which was inspired by his Green Lantern Corps back up story "Tygers." I thought he was just being bitter, because much of his mainstream stuff is rooted in piggybacking on previous writers' work. That's how continuity works in the Marvel/DC universes.

But now, it really does look like DC is using Moore's work as a crutch. Now a Watchmen character is responsible for this reboot/event, and they're bringing those characters into the regular DCU.
Maybe the ABC characters will soon be making an appearance alongside Superman and Wonder Woman.

Last edited by brayzie; 05-23-16 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 09:27 PM
Banned

DC Comics really fucked themselves with this one. Spoilers from Justice League #50:

Spoiler:

DC Comics, Jim Lee, Dan Didio and Geoff Johns have been promoting for the past 2 months that Justice League #50 is going to reveal the Joker's real name. Well, I just read the book and it doesn't reveal the real name at all. The only thing that the book reveals is that there are 3 Jokers in the DC Universe.

What a fucking bait and switch!!! Complete bullshit. People at my store are going to be extremely pissed about this. If the company is promoting something so big as revealing Joker's real name and they don't deliver, then it's on them. All the shit that will fall on them because of this is completely on the company. No excuses.

Old 05-23-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that Golden Age. They certainly incorporated aspects into the DC universe at the time (and Robinson started off as co writer for the JSA revival), but if you read the original story (which is highly recommended, though I don't know if it's currently in print) there are many aspects that stayed elseworlds only. In that case the original creator was involved and you could argue that he just brought some of his ideas over.

Completely off tangent at this point, but it's stuff like Johns and Robinson on JSA and Robinson on Starman that made me extremely sad that DC threw away much of the old continuity with new 52. Plus the revival teen titans still doesn't seem like my cup of tea, and there's no Legion announced or anything yet, right?

Edited to add: wait is his real name really a big deal? I'm so lost.
Old 05-23-16, 09:50 PM
Banned

Edited to add: wait is his real name really a big deal? I'm so lost.
It certainly is as it has never truly been revealed. He's almost like the Phantom Stranger of villains, one that had several origin stories, although no one knew which one was the true one.
Old 05-23-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DC Comics really fucked themselves with this one. Spoilers from Justice League #50:
Totally disagree.
Spoiler:
I was expecting something like Joseph Kerr, but finding out there were/are 3 Joker's is pretty intriguing. I haven't bought DC for years since they raised the cover price, reduced page count, and was killing off characters left and right (RIP Ted Cord, Sue Dibny, etc), but some of the new stuff sounds pretty fun. And the art is much better these days.

At least 3 Jokers would explain how the guy has managed to cheat death so often.
I don't need a James Howlett-style revelation to enjoy a story. The mystery and the journey is the fun part.

Normally, I'd say this is a bullshit, but this other reveal seems like it's one of the few times it's justified. This way, the surprise is magnified. You think, like Hal, that you're getting the Joker's real name, but instead you're finding out something crazier, that's there's three of them. What does that mean? Three different identities, clones, alternate Earth's, what??

This happened with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The producers were hyping up the fact that a character was going to die. The way the story was going it seemed obvious that it was going to be Cameron, and maybe since there were some problems getting Season 2 green lit, Summer Glau didn't renew her contract and signed on to a different show.

I really thought they were going to destroy Cameron, and the last minute they don't. Turns out some FBI agent friend of one of the supporting characters was killed. The producers were pretty deceitful, playing it up like that, but they were doing it for effect, to build up tension, since usually, threats to the main characters are never taken seriously. But it worked beautifully, and that remains one of my favorite episodes, partially due to how they promoted it.

Yeah, that Golden Age. They certainly incorporated aspects into the DC universe at the time (and Robinson started off as co writer for the JSA revival), but if you read the original story (which is highly recommended, though I don't know if it's currently in print) there are many aspects that stayed elseworlds only. In that case the original creator was involved and you could argue that he just brought some of his ideas over.
I read it half of it back in the day, but I was pretty young at the time and I felt a lot of the themes were over my head.

Plus the revival teen titans still doesn't seem like my cup of tea, and there's no Legion announced or anything yet, right?
I like the idea of some things having an end. The Teen Titans grew up, and didn't they either disband or call themselves TEAM Titans?

When the new generation of sidekicks formed a group (The Tim Drake Robin, Impulse, Superboy from the Reign of Supermen, Wonder Girl II, and Arrowette).
Then DC or Johns got into the mix and wanted to relive the 80s and called them The Teen Titans, and changed Impulse to resemble Kid Flash.

Legion I have no idea. Man, they can never get a good grasp on that idea. I read online how cool the concept of LOSH was, so I finally gave one of DC's many interpretations of it a try. Jim Shooter was writing it, and Francis Manapul. I think this was in 2008.
It was pretty fun. No decompressed writing, and the whole thing had the look of Star Wars, and the feel of Star Trek, just with superheroes. The artist couldn't meet deadlines though, and low sales eventually killed it.

Spoiler:

I really liked the idea of LOSH after reading Alan Moore's LOSH-analogue, The League of Infinity.
Spoilerized for size
Spoiler:
Old 05-23-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It certainly is as it has never truly been revealed. He's almost like the Phantom Stranger of villains, one that had several origin stories, although no one knew which one was the true one.
Spoiler:
Isn't that what makes him interesting? I grew up first reading The Killing Joke and watching Tim Burton's Batman, so he had two origins for me, but the comic one was the real one. It wasn't till I saw The Dark Knight, saw the Joker telling a different explanation for his scars, and then reading in an online forum how it coincided with TKJ's portrayal.
"If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice"

If he has a definitive name and past he loses that mystique.

Old 05-23-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah yes, by teen titans I meant not only the ones who grew up (and had actually become the core of the Justice League right before New 52), but also the whole Young Justice class who became the new Teen Titans. I've been collecting this Titans Hunt mini to see if they bring them back, but I suspect not. The team titans were like an alternate/fake reality version that came to our Earth because of Monarch (it's all very convoluted).

I realize deaging the adult heroes made having almost two full generations of legacy heroes (and the JSA) problematic, but I still miss them.

The Shooter/Manapul LoSH run was off of the Waid/Kitson reimagining of the Legion as anti government teens. I'm sure low sales had something to do with it, but it was ultimately Johns wanting to bring back the original Legion (without telling Shooter) that killed it off. Shooter wrote about it on the blog he was writing, along with how Manapul would often have no regards for his script when drawing stuff.
Old 05-23-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone doing the midnight release? DC and Marvel has authorized stores to sell their books at midnight so you can pick up more than Rebirth.
Old 05-23-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah yes, by teen titans I meant not only the ones who grew up (and had actually become the core of the Justice League right before New 52), but also the whole Young Justice class who became the new Teen Titans.

I realize deaging the adult heroes made having almost two full generations of legacy heroes (and the JSA) problematic, but I still miss them.
I don't know too much about Teen Titans/Young Justice. Did you like Geoff Johns run on Teen Titans? He created Miss Martian right? I liked that character.

...but it was ultimately Johns wanting to bring back the original Legion (without telling Shooter) that killed it off. Shooter wrote about it on the blog he was writing, along with how Manapul would often have no regards for his script when drawing stuff.
That's too bad. I get why DC sided with Johns. I just don't think, quality-wise, it was worth the trade-off.

Even though Shooter sounds like a jerk, I always enjoy reading his commentary on the industry, and the behind-the-scenes process.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.