Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Random comic-related pic thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Random comic-related pic thread

It by Marc Hempel, who was the artist on The Kindly Ones arc. So I'd say it's different from fan art.
Old 02-07-24, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,479 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It by Marc Hempel, who was the artist on The Kindly Ones arc. So I'd say it's different from fan art.
Yes, I goofed.
Old 03-05-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

While flipping through some records at a thrift store last week, I saw this Musical Youth 45 picture sleeve.

One of the guys appears to be holding Marvel Super Action #33 (July, 1981), and another one has Captain America #261 (September, 1981).
The following 4 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Bronkster (03-05-24), Inhumans99 (03-06-24), Spiderbite (03-05-24), Trevor (03-05-24)
Old 03-06-24, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of music, here are some Jack Davis album covers from my collection (I didn't include any soundtracks).

I have a copy of this one by Neal Adams, but this picture from Discogs looks better than mine.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Brian T (03-06-24), PhantomStranger (03-06-24), will travel (03-13-24)
Old 03-06-24, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 632 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
(I didn't include any soundtracks)
Well, technically you kinda did.Texas Bound And Flyin’ is the theme song from SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT 2. That’s probably why Davis drew him riding a semi truck with an elephant trunk sticking out the back, which is the plot of the movie.

(big Jerry Reed fan here )

And apparently that album includes East Bound And Down from the first movie, too.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-06-24 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dimension X (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Well, technically you kinda did.Texas Bound And Flyin’ is the theme song from SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT 2. That’s probably why Davis drew him riding a semi truck with an elephant trunk sticking out the back, which is the plot of the movie.

(big Jerry Reed fan here )

https://youtu.be/raTrLQU5_J0?si=gvjQLndQcb7Swnd6

And apparently that album includes East Bound And Down from the first movie, too.
Good catch. I really only wrote that because I don't think my soundtracks are in order, and I was too lazy to dig out my copies of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and What's New Pussycat?

I guess it's a good thing I didn't, since the What's New Pussycat? cover is by Frazetta, not Davis.

I really should've done a little research before posting. I found another Jack Davis cover I have that was filed elsewhere (it was easy to locate, so I took a picture of mine).

The following 3 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Brian T (03-07-24), cultshock (03-12-24), will travel (03-13-24)
Old 03-07-24, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

Jack Davis is the shit! Love his artwork!
The following 4 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
cultshock (03-12-24), Dimension X (03-07-24), majorjoe23 (03-15-24), Trevor (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Turns out my soundtracks were in order (except for a few recent buys). Here are three more Jack Davis album covers I have. The last one isn't listed among his 102 credits on discogs.

C'mon, I can't be the only one here who collects albums. Let's see what ya got.
Spiderbite (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,780 Likes on 1,913 Posts

On the subject of album artwork, Mort Drucker's back cover piece for Anthrax's "State of Euphoria" album:

(And that brick on the right side of the image has always bothered me.)
The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
cultshock (03-12-24), Dimension X (03-07-24), majorjoe23 (03-15-24)
Old 03-07-24, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a couple of Mort Druckers.

I went looking for a Neal Adams (that wasn't superhero related) that I thought I had, but I didn't find it. I did find four more by Jack Davis.

I'll stop now.

EDIT: Found a list on discogs covering this very subject. I can't believe I forgot about Crumb's cover on Cheap Thrills by Big Brother & The Holding Company.

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-07-24 at 04:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dimension X:
cultshock (03-12-24), Spiderbite (03-07-24)
Old 03-09-24, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Old 03-12-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Speaking of comics artists doing album covers, how about The Accused "More Fun than an Open Casket Funeral" with coverart by underground comix artist S. Clay Wilson (complete with the Checkered Demon)

Dimension X (03-12-24)
Old 03-12-24, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spiderbite (03-12-24)
Old 03-13-24, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this on Facebook last week and thought it looked really cool. I can't imagine how much the guy spent slabbing all those books, let alone where he found all those high grade copies.

I know I'm old because someone commented on that picture saying that he could remember when all those books could be found in 3 for a dollar boxes... I bought all of mine (except for #1) out of 5 for a dollar boxes.
PhantomStranger (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had several of those issues as a kid. Gene Colan's art was just so mysterious and spooky in the issues I had. I loved it and it is likely one of the many reasons I am drawn to horror movies today.

And while that wall/floor of slabbed comics may make some people's dick hard, it just makes me sad. I never have understood why anyone wants to slab a book if they want to keep it in their collection. Fine if you are doing it just to sell it but I own stuff to enjoy and read. If you are keeping it, unless you are hanging it on your wall to frame, I just don't understand the sense in it. I totally get bagging and boarding because it protects the books but doing that doesn't make them unreadable like slabbing does.

I am also jealous I didn't think about doing that for a business. They get to handle and review so many cool and rare comics and make pretty damn good money too from the charges that I have read people pay.
Old 03-13-24, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
And while that wall/floor of slabbed comics may make some people's dick hard, it just makes me sad. I never have understood why anyone wants to slab a book if they want to keep it in their collection. Fine if you are doing it just to sell it but I own stuff to enjoy and read. If you are keeping it, unless you are hanging it on your wall to frame, I just don't understand the sense in it. I totally get bagging and boarding because it protects the books but doing that doesn't make them unreadable like slabbing does.
The only thing that bothers me about a display like that is leaving the comics out in the light, where the ultraviolet light could damage them. I have some autographed comic books framed behind UV glass, and they're displayed in a room that either lighted with LED bulbs or kept dark and doesn't have any sunlight.

Actually kind of drives me nuts when I walk into a comic book store and they have comics displayed in the front window in direct sunlight, or have valuable comics hanging on the walls feet from fluorescent lights.

These are high-grade copies of these books and, as such, have value to collectors. There won't be more high grade copies of Tomb of Dracula tomorrow than there are today. There's no sense in handling and reading these collectible books and risking damaging them. If they meant that much to me, I'd either have G/VG reading copies on-hand to peruse at my leisure, or trade paperback collections I could read.
Old 03-13-24, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had several of those issues as a kid. Gene Colan's art was just so mysterious and spooky in the issues I had. I loved it and it is likely one of the many reasons I am drawn to horror movies today.
I was already a horror movie fan, especially Christopher Lee's Hammer films, so all it took to draw me in was was "Dracula" on the title.

I used to think I didn't really get into comics until 1980-81, but I can clearly remember picking up Tomb of Dracula #1 (the magazine, not the comic) in the backroom at the LCS on new comic book day. It came out August 28, 1979, so if it wasn't my first trip to the comic shop, it was one of the first. (I'm guessing it was probably my second trip, and I had gone back for new comic book day.)

When I found out that there was a comic book before that, I immediately started searching for all the issues (which were cheap to acquire at the time).
I think the guy said he took several pictures, and photoshopped them together into one.

I don't own any slabbed books. I just liked seeing all the covers together.

EDIT: How about this?
Spoiler:

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-13-24 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better.
Old 03-14-24, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

35 years ago...

Old 03-14-24, 10:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Nice. I sorta collect all the promo/catalog comics. Old school stuff like Comico Attractions and Eclipse Extra and First Edition are my favorites, but I might have every DC promo too. Don’t really keep the Marvel ones though. Would be cool to own the first Diamond Previews.
Old 03-14-24, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found that one (along with Previews 4,5, & 6, and a few DC Releases) last night while straightening out some stuff. I don't know if I have Previews 1 & 2, or where they are if I do.
Trevor (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are DC Releases 1-4.

Old 03-14-24, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should scan that stuff and send it to Archive.org. There would probably be some interest in those.

I'd really like to find some scans of Mile Comics' old Mile High Futures catalogs from the 1980s and 1990s. In addition to being comic catalogs, they also Rozanski's editorials, comic book reviews, and reviews of novels by Ed Bryant. I should have some old MHF catalogs somewhere, but I haven't seen them in ages. If I found them, I'd scan them.
PhantomStranger (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Oh man, DC Releases, I forgot all about those! My friend has been putting together a collection of the old FOOM magazines, those are really fun to flip through.
Old 03-14-24, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You should scan that stuff and send it to Archive.org. There would probably be some interest in those.

I'd really like to find some scans of Mile Comics' old Mile High Futures catalogs from the 1980s and 1990s. In addition to being comic catalogs, they also Rozanski's editorials, comic book reviews, and reviews of novels by Ed Bryant. I should have some old MHF catalogs somewhere, but I haven't seen them in ages. If I found them, I'd scan them.
I loved going through those Mile High catalogs back in the day.
Spiderbite (03-14-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.