Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Mortal Kombat #1 is free:

https://www.comixology.com/Mortal-Ko...2_DC_MKX_Offer
Old 04-15-15, 10:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Comixology has several new Marvel freebies in their main freebie section.

And wow, madth3 on the GOG forum just made an incredible spreadsheet comparing all the recent Dynamite bundles.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...eP8/edit#gid=0
Old 04-15-15, 10:55 AM

Glad I waited, they dropped the bundle to $6.
Old 04-15-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sadists indeed; what next?
Old 04-15-15, 01:00 PM

Fwiw, the new Comixology bundle (which dropped in price to $6) and BitTorrent bundle only include 8 total new issues if you had previously bought the Groupees and Humble Bundles; Uncanny 3-6 and Ex-con 2-5.
Old 04-15-15, 03:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth, they refunded me the 99 cents automatically from when I paid $6.99 last night. Grabbing the bundle this way was nice since I had never bit on it in any of the other forms.
Old 04-15-15, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by malazar
For what it's worth, they refunded me the 99 cents automatically from when I paid $6.99 last night. Grabbing the bundle this way was nice since I had never bit on it in any of the other forms.
I wish I had more willpower. I should just stick to Comixology, where I already will likely never catch up in my reading. But those bundles are so attractive cost/quantity that I can't resist.
Old 04-15-15, 07:13 PM

Marvel Unlimited is giving away free one month subscriptions until 5/15/15 with code starwars

www.marvel.com/starwars

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-15-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just going to come post that. This will help out my Avengers reading a bit.
Old 04-16-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Marvel Unlimited also just did a huge upload of Star Wars comics. It's by far the biggest upload of classic material they've done in a long time.

edit: I just realized the promotion was tied to the Star wars upload, so I guess my post should have already been understood!
Old 04-16-15, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Marvel Unlimited also just did a huge upload of Star Wars comics. It's by far the biggest upload of classic material they've done in a long time...
I do wish Marvel/Disney would speed up adding their back issues to digital. There are some glaring omissions like Avengers West Coast, mid-series X-force, early X-factor v1, etc. I can't imagine they will release a Black Panther movie without making his back issues available in the near future.
Old 04-16-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I do wish Marvel/Disney would speed up adding their back issues to digital. There are some glaring omissions like Avengers West Coast, mid-series X-force, early X-factor v1, etc. I can't imagine they will release a Black Panther movie without making his back issues available in the near future.
Unfortunately, unless there's something specifically that ties into an upcoming movie/show/comic event, I don't expect much in the way of classic uploads. It's frustrating because there's SO much great content on there, but that doesn't really make it better when the one thing you're specifically looking for isn't. Hopefully the Black Panther movie will get them to upload his run in Jungle Action. That's one that I've really wanted to read. I would think that at the very least everything that's been restored for the Marvel Masterwork line would be an automatic upload, but there's probably more to it than that.
Old 04-16-15, 01:51 PM

This week's Comixologist Podcast freebie code is 44pod, but Letter 44 #1 looks like it is already free anyway. Besides, everyone here owns it already I hope.

Dark Horse has a new freebie, Tyler Crook Builds Characters sampler.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/profil...cters-sampler/
Remember that you have to actually load it for it to become part of your collection.

Speaking of Dark Horse, their annual huge take Trevor's money sale is coming up. Make sure that you are signed up for their newsletters to get an extra discount and some contest entries.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/accounts/manage/
Old 04-16-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait to buy more Usagi Yojimbo and The Goon.
Old 04-16-15, 02:58 PM

Speaking of Dark Horse, their annual huge take Trevor's money sale is coming up. Make sure that you are signed up for their newsletters to get an extra discount and some contest entries.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/accounts/manage/
Dark Horse tweeted "comfirm account/newsletter subscript by 4/22 at DH Digital and get bonus promos" so it seems we have another week to save... even if I've already got my shopping cart filled up with Hellboy and The Goon.
Old 04-16-15, 03:13 PM

I've bought SO much the last few annual sales that I'm hoping there isn't much left for me to buy. Just the recent bundles since last year hopefully. But who am I kidding? I'm looking at the work schedule now to see what overtime I can pick up and justify completing another series or three.
Old 04-17-15, 08:32 AM

New Comixology freebie, the latest America's Army.
https://www.comixology.com/Americas-...l-comic/214479

Today only sale on the recent Captain America run by Rick Rememder. All 25 issues at $.99 each or all in a $22.99 bundle.
https://www.comixology.com/Captain-A...Sale/page/6269
Old 04-17-15, 09:32 AM

Today only sale on the recent Captain America run by Rick Rememder. All 25 issues at $.99 each or all in a $22.99 bundle.
https://www.comixology.com/Captain-A...Sale/page/6269
I'd just now been reading through this run (through issue 13) and have really been enjoying it. There's some far out stuff but quality material.

Edit: I read through issue 21, better than I expected overall but the first 10 issues are the strongest.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-17-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 06:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No Image or Vertigo sales lately. Don't read a thing from Marvel/DC main line of books so I have not spent a dime in a while.
Old 04-18-15, 06:01 PM

Since there is no new sales that I see, I wanted to know what the appeal is to Marvel and DC characters. I can't read anything that is not creator owned anymore because I feel like there won't be any big surprises. The writers can not do what they want with the characters because they are owned by big corporations that have to worry about image for marketing/movies/etc. So you won't see a big character truly die for long, or have Batman/Spider-Man type become a murderer because the bottom line would be affected. I also don't like the toned down language. I prefer real world language. So even though I grew up with nothing but Marvel and DC and loved them, now that I am older I can't even go back and read the stuff I loved. Maybe I am just getting old.
Old 04-18-15, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
Since ...I wanted to know what the appeal is to Marvel and DC characters... I feel like there won't be any big surprises. The writers can not do what they want with the characters because they are owned by big corporations that have to worry about image for marketing/movies/etc. So you won't see a big character truly die for long, or have Batman/Spider-Man type become a murderer because the bottom line would be affected. I also don't like the toned down language...
Personally I enjoy the long continuity Marvel, and to some extent DC, has with their franchises. Recently I got back into comics and maybe part of it is nostalgia. I wouldn't necessarily assume that no big changes occur to core titles; for example, Geoff Johns a few years ago made drastic changes to Green Lantern by adding a whole spectrum of different colored lanterns. Even if the changes aren't long lasting there are some great storylines worth checking out. I just read through Remender's run on Captain America (and now Uncanny Avengers) and it seems like he's an example of someone trying to push the envelope by doing crazy things with established characters (like replacing Captain America)... maybe it won't last long but I've enjoyed it enough. Even big titles get boring without change - it might be slower, or at times less extreme but in most cases I perceive things as not getting too stagnant with Marvel/DC.
Old 04-19-15, 02:34 PM

I read the green lantern stuff and liked it a lot. The problem is that DC seems to be doing yet another reboot, so who knows if the Johns stuff will actually stick. I think there are great stories at both companies, but I feel like things always go back to status quo at some point.
Old 04-19-15, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Avengers 200 to 300, a direct continuation of the last sale, with another 75 dollar bundle. I'm in again.
Old 04-20-15, 05:24 AM

Complete your original Avengers collection with another two 100 issue bundles (201-300 and 301-400) for $74.99 each, ends 4/20/15.
https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-Sale/page/6293
Old 04-20-15, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Avengers 200 to 300, a direct continuation of the last sale, with another 75 dollar bundle. I'm in again.
I also went over my allowance in getting the Avengers run; now I'm curious if they'll go through the entire Avengers continuity before the movie... Heroes Reborn and the 1998 run (and I wonder which items they are saving for closer to the release).

Odd that Avengers (1963) ends at issue 402, with 2 issues of Onslaught tie-ins, but the sale only goes to 400 leaving 2 orphan issues at the end.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-20-15 at 08:59 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.