Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Old 07-04-24, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

I'd probably be willing to pay that money for Alex Ross to sketch out a full Phantom Stranger piece. Jim Lee's more recent stuff doesn't really do it for me anymore. Jim has like 10 kids to feed from what I recall.
The following users liked this post:
VHS? (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

It's crazy how SDCC has tens of thousands coming every year and they are still using that dinky ass Hall H as their main showcase room for the "big announcements" And maybe less than 10% of the people attending are able to get it.

Yet, literally right next door, there is a baseball stadium that seats 42K plus. Has no one there even considered changing the "Big announcement" venue? Unless Comic Con International is too cheap to rent out the stadium?
Old 07-04-24, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume they want to keep it exclusive. Same reason why pro sports teams keep making smaller and smaller stadiums these days.
Old 07-04-24, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Before covid I believe someone did a reveal there but forget who or what it was. Turn out was small though
Old 07-04-24, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, if I'm plunking down that much, it's going to be for Alex Ross. I like browsing his gallery at SDCC every year.
Old 07-04-24, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I assume they want to keep it exclusive. Same reason why pro sports teams keep making smaller and smaller stadiums these days.
What do you mean? I’m just saying they need a much bigger venue than Hall H. A baseball stadium that’s literally right next door would cover that. They just need to rent it out from the Padres. There is not about exclusivity. You’ll still need your badge and lanyard to get it. That Con has way overgrown the SD convention center.
Old 07-06-24, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

My badge for Disney’s D23 just arrived today. It’s a 3 day event and all badges sold out in 2 days back in March. I’m only going day 1 on August 9th.

If you don’t know what D23 is, it’s basically the comic con for all Disney IP. It’s held every 2 years at the Anaheim Convention Center.

The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
PhantomStranger (07-06-24), TheBigDave (07-06-24), VHS? (07-07-24)
Old 07-19-24, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk God

I got an email from Disney about making a reservation for some activities that will happen on the day I attend D23.

Here are my picks and the order I chose of preference. I think they will randomly pick which ones you get based on popularity and remaining spots left. In 2022, I was only able to get 1 reservation.

I'm hoping to get the Andrew Stanton meet and greet and signing. I would love him to sign a Wall-E 4K disc. I just have to order it. And there is no guarantee that I get any of these.

They will let me know on August 2nd.

Fri, Aug 9Show Floor Experiences
  1. Signing: Pixar Filmmakers
  2. Walt Disney Animation Studios Exclusive Pennant (Plus Special Item)!
  3. Signing: Walt Disney Animation Studios Filmmakers
  4. Signing: Disney Animation Director Ron Clements
Stage Presentations
  1. 30 Years of Toy Story
  2. Music of Marvel Studios
  3. Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed—The Return of a Beloved Classic
  4. The Muppets 70: A Glamorous Miss Piggy Retrospective
Talent Central
  1. Signing & Photo Opportunity: Andrew Stanton
  2. Signing & Photo Opportunity: Leonard Maltin and Jessie Maltin

Old 07-20-24, 02:26 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So anyone here get signatures while at cons? Take your own pens?
    I'm trying to find a set that has bright colors (possibly fluorescent) but can be used for signing. I found a really nice set but unfortunately they are oil based.
    Old 07-20-24, 06:43 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
    I'm trying to find a set that has bright colors (possibly fluorescent) but can be used for signing. I found a really nice set but unfortunately they are oil based.
    I see many CGC signature books signed in pink neon or grey marker. I know that's not an answer to your question but I don't know the brands.
    VHS? (07-21-24)
    Old 07-20-24, 09:05 PM

Received 542 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?

I can't speak from personal experience, but I know the most popular brands among autograph collectors are Molotow, Deco, and Sharpie. It really depends on which particular colors you want, the thickness of the pen, and what's being signed. It can also depend on where you're located and the weather. Heat, humidity, and high altitude can cause problems with metallic and paint pens.

Someone recommended this Molotow to me once. I always liked the color. You can see some autograph results on the review photos.

Amazon Amazon

Also make sure to prep the pen before handing it over. Shake it, burp it, and get the pen flowing smoothly so it doesn't throw up all over your photo.

Most hardcore collectors will get an extra print and test a variety of pens to see what works best. Like this:

VHS? (07-21-24)
    Old 07-21-24, 06:30 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

What's the opinion on metallic ink pens?

I've heard people say not to use them because they bleed, but I have a number of signed comic books that are signed with those silver and gold pens, and they still look fine despite having been signed thirty years ago.