Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

I'm going to Wonder Con 2024. Decided to go for the cheaper, less chaotic day and bought a $40 ticket + handling for Sunday.

Last year, I went on Saturday and it was a madhouse and parking was insane. I don't think I will hang very long. Maybe a couple of hours tops to see if there is any cool merch.

This is the sister con of SDCC, but it's not as crazy. And there is a much less emphasis on celebrity autographs.
Old 03-18-24, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking of doing a pro photo op with Geena Davis or Susan Sarandon at a future convention. Here's a pic from this weekend's 90's Con. It's not my photo. Someone posted it on Facebook and blocked out the people for privacy. They said this photo op cost $190. Personally, I'd be pissed. The plexiglass partition during covid was bad enough, but this is ridiculous.

My question is: Did they state there would be this barrier in the initial description of the photo op?
Old 03-19-24, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

pic I found on X. Dating game setup

Old 03-19-24, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That photo with the boxes is hilarious. Why even bother with the photos if you're going to demand something like that.

I can understand actresses not wanting random guys pawing on them, or using plexi barriers when COVID-19 was still an issue, but those stacked boxes just ooze passive-aggressiveness.
I’m curious the purchasers of this “opportunity” were actually allowed even a small measure of acknowledgement from the “stars” — like a simple “Hello” or a waving hand — or if the whole deal was “stay on your side of the boxes, no eye contact, no speaking, don’t breathe in their direction, and pick up your picture when you leave the convention”.

And then, for all the fans that got to go back for re-takes, was there any kind of remorse shown by Davis and Sarandon for having wasted their time and money to come back? I’m guessing no.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-19-24 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Disney's big D23 event tickets are on sale for August 9th through 11th

https://ultimatefanevent.d23.com/

So if anyone here lives in/near California or has any plans to come in early August, here is something to consider. However, you must be either a regular or gold D23 member. If you bought the 3-year Disney+ subscription back in 2019, I assume you are a regular member.

I know Conventions like this are very expensive and this is one of the more pricier ones. I went in late 2022 at the last one and overall I had a good time.

Old 03-20-24, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I went to some con in Chicago last summer to “meet” Michael J Fox and a buddy of mine came along to get a photo with Susan Sarandon. He got to stand next to her, but she did not want to be there.
Old 03-20-24, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I went to some con in Chicago last summer to “meet” Michael J Fox and a buddy of mine came along to get a photo with Susan Sarandon. He got to stand next to her, but she did not want to be there.
I would assume Sarandon would have enough money to not do conventions if she didn't want to be there. Makes me wonder if it's just greed that she's there or if she might really need the money. She's 77. She should be living the dream instead of attending conventions that she doesn't want to be at.
Old 03-20-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking of doing a pro photo op with Geena Davis or Susan Sarandon at a future convention. Here's a pic from this weekend's 90's Con. It's not my photo. Someone posted it on Facebook and blocked out the people for privacy. They said this photo op cost $190. Personally, I'd be pissed. The plexiglass partition during covid was bad enough, but this is ridiculous.

In not so many words... Fuck that shit. I'd be furious if I had prepaid and found out that this was the situation.
Old 03-21-24, 03:27 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I would assume Sarandon would have enough money to not do conventions if she didn't want to be there. Makes me wonder if it's just greed that she's there or if she might really need the money. She's 77. She should be living the dream instead of attending conventions that she doesn't want to be at.
"Greed" is certainly one word, but there's also much more charitable synonyms to describe what is essentially an opportunity to make a year's salary (even a celebrity salary) in a weekend. I don't know exactly what percentage goes to whom, but good grief.. crunch the numbers and realize how much money is changing hands here - who would reasonably turn that down?

Last edited by ntnon; 03-21-24 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-22-24, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
"Greed" is certainly one word, but there's also much more charitable synonyms to describe what is essentially an opportunity to make a year's salary (even a celebrity salary) in a weekend. I don't know exactly what percentage goes to whom, but good grief.. crunch the numbers and realize how much money is changing hands here - who would reasonably turn that down?
I don't even know what the numbers are to crunch, so I went searching and found this article that seems to say that A-listers could pull $250,000-$500,000 per weekend.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ntions-933062/

And that was in 2016, so I guess it's probably more now.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 06:23 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

My memory is getting hazier, but at a Star Trek convention nearly a decade ago, a photo with Shatner AND Bakula was somewhere between $200 and $400. Counting the people lined up for the conveyor-belt like experience, and then dividing by two (assuming several of the people were in groups of two), someone took in nearly half a million dollars. Presumably that was split between the Convention company, the photographers and the actors, but...

...that was in just a couple of hours. For just those two together. If they personally got half of half of that, (IF), that's over $100,000 for a couple of hours. And they were signing autographs for hundreds/thousands. And had individual photographs on two or three days. And other group pictures. And may have gotten a fee for their presence....
Old 03-28-24, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Disney D23 2024 tickets went on sale starting yesterday. Yesterday was for D23 Gold members, today was for Visa card holders. Tomorrow will be just for regular D23 free members.

Anyway, it was almost as bad as getting SDCC tickets. You had to go into a virtual queue and be placed in line. I logged on my PC and IPAD. On the PC, I was 5800th in line and slowly moved. While on my IPAD, I got 960 something and jumped through in about 1 hour. I read some very unhappy people who are Gold D23 members who weren't able to get a ticket yesterday. That Gold membership is $90/year and they thought it would give them high priority and easier access. Well, it didn't.

Overall, it was a mess. Lots of errors and I read a lot of people were unhappy not being able to secure tickets today. I managed to get a ticket for Friday at the Anaheim convention center. I wanted to get a ticket to the ultimate show at the Honda Center, which is a few miles away. They decided to move the big presentations and announcements off site. Like Star Wars, Marvel and Disney new movies and shows being announced. I was interested in that, but demand was super high. That was a fiasco. Lots of errors trying to secure a spot on the Arena seating chart and tickets were next to impossible to lock in, so I exited that and just got the convention center. Once I got to the page to get my ticket, the site locked up and I was scared to do it, but I had to refresh and luckily it worked. I only had 15 minutes to secure my ticket. And I managed to get the order in.

D23 free members are going to be SOOL tomorrow. I think only Friday and Sunday single say convention center tickets are left. General public tickets are suppose to go on sale closer to the event in August, but I think it's going to be completely sold out after tomorrow. I mean this is pretty nuts.
Old 03-31-24, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from WonderCon 2024. Here is my haul including some freebies from Lionsgate

The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
PhantomStranger (04-04-24), TheBigDave (04-01-24), VHS? (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Outside WonderCon on Sunday

The following users liked this post:
VHS? (04-02-24)